Sign in with
Your question

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2001 7:29:20 PM

THGF's vocal AMD pups are burying their burnt/cracked-up t-birds and forced to get lower cost durons hahaha! (you know who you are!)

<b>Q:</b> why are all the flies on that AMD cpu?
<b>A:</b> isn't obvious?

****<b>BRING OUT YOUR DEAD</b>****

rationalize all you want but I still say....BABABWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

More about : bring dead

March 19, 2001 7:30:35 PM

Well then have fun laughing at yourself while we have the best cPUS

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 19, 2001 8:10:14 PM

Where should I mail my Intel Pentium 200 MMX that fried when the POS (non-ballbearing) HSF failed?

Thermal protection and all......
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2001 9:33:35 PM

i have a dog named wuffles

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.
March 19, 2001 10:30:59 PM

ok, so maybe intel had a better idea placing some sort of logic in the chip that would shut it down in the chip got too hot...so does my motherboard. i specify in the bios what temp is too hot and if it reaches that temp the computer shuts down (not beep, shuts down! just like an intel would). saying that t-birds are bad because they will fry without a heatsink attached is like saying ferrari's suck beacuse the engine will seize if you run it without oil. great, you have an overpriced, underperforming intel chip that will shut down if it runs too hot while i have an underpriced, overperforming t-bird that will run fine if i properly build the computer. i normally do not give in to responding to pointless posts but you deserved it. i am an AMD fan and i don't mean any disrespect toward intel users (at least not those with half a brain).
March 20, 2001 12:27:12 PM

Can I interest you in the purchase of a bridge?
March 20, 2001 12:37:22 PM

Die Amdmeltdown.
Or at least try to post something useful. Not the same old useless banter over and over again.

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>
March 20, 2001 2:19:18 PM

Quick, post some more anti-AMD propaganda! I don't think everyone in THG knows how much of an idiot you are yet.
March 20, 2001 2:54:24 PM

Hey, while I agree with you all that AmdMeltDown needs some new material because it's all getting boring, pointless, redundant, and annoying ... He does however have a minute point worth consideration.

The price/performance calculation is what most people use when they choose an Athlon over a P3. Yet what happens if that Athlon chip burns up? Now you're buying two for the same performance. In such cases, the price/performance calculations of an Athlon system aren't exactly amazing anymore.

As for complaining about Intel chips with thermal protection failing, I don't believe that Intel put thermal protection into their chips until the P2 era. (Possibly even P3?) I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember something along these lines because I remember the early Celerons often ending up as keychains. In which case, any MMX chip was made BEFORE Intel put in thermal protection.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.
March 20, 2001 5:22:14 PM

As I remember, the Pentium line was the first chip that REQUIRED a fan in order to operate. For safety purposes, if the temperature of the chip exceeded a predetermined threshold, the chip would slow down to 1/2 speed in order to prevent damage.

In fact, I had an early Compaq Pentium 60Mhz machine. The CPU had a hefty heat sink, but no fan. The power supply fan pulled air over the heatsink, and acted like a HSF. I could only operate without the cover for about 10 minutes before a messagebox displayed warning about the CPU overheating. When the cover was off, the air was not forced to flow past the processor. The cover had baffles which forced the air to flow over the processor and out via the power supply fan.

I thought it was nuts to have a $3,000 system rely on a $10 fan, most of which were not ball bearing at that time.

I checked, but could not find any early articles on the Pentium and thermal protection. Only my memory, which admittedly gets worse as I get older.

Exactly how does the thermal protection in the P3 work? Does it shut down the machine, or simply slow the processor to a safe state where it cannot generate enough heat to harm itself?

Any P4 owner out there brave enough to run without the fan to test the thermal protection? How about for 30 minutes. Let me know your results (Disclaimer - I will not be responsible for any damage you do to your machine).

I am not brave enough to try it with my 3 Intel machines at home.
March 20, 2001 6:17:34 PM

You know, I'm not entirely sure either. I believe Intel's current implementation is to cut the chip's power entirely if it starts to overheat. I've never tested it though.

But every old chip I've ever seen has a 'turbo' mode, where it runs at full speed and a 'no turbo' mode, where it runs at half speed. Even my 486 has that. I wonder when CPUs stopped supporting that...

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.
March 20, 2001 6:23:37 PM

you guys can't take a little teasing huh?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 03/20/01 06:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 20, 2001 6:35:21 PM

Who cares who burnt what?

But start saving your p*ss. You will need it and then some to cool your P4.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 7:49:45 PM

i agree with you that it wouldve been a good idea if amd had put thermal protection into their chips. but they didnt. so we just take a little more care.

im glad i got a duron 800 rather than a celeron 600 at the same price. imagine how gay i'd be if i had bought a celery.....jeez

note to all ppl who own celerys: im not saying youre gay just cos you own one, but i am saying youre strupid if youve bought one since the durons came out

AMD. It gets you chicks.
March 21, 2001 12:47:17 AM

sure we can. but i dont think our brains can take anymore lame, shallow, cheap humor.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2001 4:58:53 AM

Well rub stick, I don't know about the others but I have 2 bad Intel chips, one is a FCPGA 750MHz PIII, but I do have ZERO bad AMD chips. Intel isn't any better than AMD!

Mike
March 23, 2001 6:53:09 AM

I need yogurt to ride my bicycle

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2001 7:20:11 PM

You know meltdown, the posts you put up have always got the same general stuff in them... Every one has a subject that people wanna read, and when they get there they read the first half and think you have a point, but then you make a [-peep-] up joke and everyone realises you're being sarcastic, if you don't like AMD then fine, go have fun with Fugger, but in the meantime let us enjoy what we have.

Stop being such a dickhead

By the way, i am one of those "AMD pups" as you said, but for an entirely different reason other than AMD being a [-peep-] chip maker. My Athlon 1.1ghz kicked ass, but i had a heavy, badly manufactured SuperORB sitting on the [-peep-] thing and it crushed it, it might even have been me putting it back on, who knows.... But the point it is it wasn't AMD's fault for making it crush, it was my fault for not realising you could crush it (first ath i bought). It's obvious you've been burned by AMD before which has made you so bitter so, maybe you gotta realise that it's not their place to make the chip crush proof and burnout proof, but rather the user's place to take care of their chip. You try running a P4 without a HSF and you can watch as the cpu burns it way thru your pocket, coz only someone with a whole lot of cash would be stupid enough to buy a P4(willamette) as everyone knows

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheAudiophile on 03/24/01 07:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 23, 2001 7:26:27 PM

Where do I find potatoes for my swimming pool?

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>
!