Theory behind Intels Slot-1 to Socket switch

G

Intel has lead the way through microprocessor standards. What Intel did, AMD followed, which means that Intel got royalities from AMD for using Intels technology, i.e. the Socket7. Intel was betting that when they introduced Slot-1, AMD would need to licence that technology from them. Intel was betting that motherboard manufacturers would not support another CPU interface from another company. To Intels shock, AMD came out with Slot-A, and that is when AMD started to take over. Motherboard manufacuters, slowly but surely supported AMD's Slot-A. Intel then returned to Socket-370 since there was no real advantage to using Slot-1. AMD followed through and created Socket-A, since there was no need for Slot-A to rival Slot-1. What do you think?

G

I did the research, and that was my theory based on the research. To research the validity of the theory is another matter.

G

I thought they went to the slot because they couldn't fit the cache on the chip die. Then they went back to the socket because they could fit the cache back on the die, plus it was cheaper...

"Yesterday's solutions are Today's problems...."

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
when you think about it.

See the celeron 300a came out intel didnt need slot 1 for and to cut cost they moved it to a socket 370. So intel didnt need to PCB board to host it on. Same thing happend to the p3 and athlon.

My p3 broke :*( Well Tualatin is coming :*)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your right, although I can understand his paranoid delusions. Intel HAD to go to a slot card to put on extra cache at anything higher than system bus. And then they switched back when they got their cache small enough to fit on the die, because sockets are cheaper.

Suicide is painless...........

G

yeah, why would intel go with slot packaging if there wasnt a really good reason for it. the packaging costs were a whole lot more. they wouldve been glad to get back to socket chips.

here's a question: what did you guys think of slot chips compared to socket ones?? i never really liked them, there was just something about them that pissed me off. big, bulky things that they were.

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.