2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
2 Hours Min.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Code/Program, Modeling/Animating, and Game Dev.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
20 Gig. Min. if I can use USB's/SD Cards. If not, than ~120 Gig.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.newegg.com, Microcenter... Anywhere that's some what reputable.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 Years Min.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not Dell... They suck, case and point.
Not Apple, obviously they suck, and they cost way to much for nothing.
Anything else really...
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
The laptop is for school uses, I'm a CS Major, so I need to have a laptop to copy the code, so I guess a big screen would be nice, as I like seeing a lot of the code at once... Also, I'm going to study abroad, so obviously, my desktop can't come with me... However, the catch (In my opinion), is that I would like to use Unity3d, 3Ds Max, and Mudbox, if possible... I'm thinking of dual booting it with Windows (XP I believe, I'd rather it), and a linux distro.
Hello, I believe a netbook would be perfect for you, i dont know how much you want to hold back on, for instance, You can get 4 hours of battery and a weak single core atom processor for $250 but it might not be able to play games at all except for really old stuff(like before 2004 or so, not entirely sure, i have a system a little stronger than it and am only able to play games in the 2005 era mostly.)
$250:http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1001PX-EU27-BK-10-1-Inch-Net...(copy and paste this...sorry having problems making it a hyperlink )
Or if you want to go a little further, you can go with a 1.8 dual core atom(fair bit faster) and a dedicated graphics that will let you play much more games on low-medium depending on the game(still just a net book remember it can play alot of stuff but mostly at mid and lower ) it costs $500(481 now actually ) so its right on the mark for you i think. This netbook is also bigger than the norm(12.1 inch) so it i believe its even better for you it weighs 3.2 pounds so its really light.