Anyone remember the Sword of Lyons?

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
limiting it's power?
24 answers Last reply
More about anyone remember sword lyons
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    Shanika Andria wrote:
    > In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical
    short
    > sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a
    very
    > impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible
    as
    > long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure

    > years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword
    and
    > it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about
    one
    > item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's
    Rogue
    > running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    > fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant
    and
    > then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make
    it a
    > Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there
    > limiting it's power?

    I once played in a game which had an effect (long time ago, can't
    remember if it was a spell, item, area, curse) which made the affected
    individual invisible, but also caused all living creatures to become
    invisible to the affected individual. Perhaps you could modify that,
    maybe with an alignment/race bias if that's appropriate (eg. wielder
    can only see and be seen by LG/Magical/Humanoid creatures). When the
    sword is held, it is an invisible +1 short sword, when it is sheafed
    you get the dual invisibility.

    Slightly breakable with blind fighting etc and can be annoying to
    play/DM on a permenant basis though.

    Just a thought,

    --

    Si
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    In article <yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com>, bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:

    >In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    >sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    >impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    >long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    >years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    >it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    >item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    >running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    >fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    >then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    >Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    >limiting it's power?

    Side effects. Taking a cue from the Complete Wizard's Handbook, I think
    the Sword of Lyons (which I also like) may eventually start to turn the
    caster invisible even without the sword on them (starting with
    transluscent, of course) and then ultimately immaterial.

    Their ultimate fate wouldn't be something bitchin' like ethereal, but
    to be an invisible, inaudible, intangible ghost starving to death and
    dying of thirst, with no one able to hear or see them. And when they
    die, CLUNK, there's the Sword of Lyons on the ground ...

    --
    It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
    the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

    "Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> wrote in message

    > In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    > sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    > impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    > long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    > years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    > it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    > item creating an instant munchkin).

    It is actually weaker than a ring of invisibility, unless you stay invisible
    when attacking with other weapons. What is the problem?

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:42:39 -0500, "Shanika Andria"
    <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> scribed into the ether:

    >In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    >sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    >impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    >long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    >years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    >it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    >item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    >running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    >fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    >then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    >Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    >limiting it's power?

    Assuming you want to stick with the invisibility, apply a per day
    restriction on using the no-see-me! part. Or apply some sort of provocative
    curse...like the weapon won't go back into the scabbard after you draw it
    until you use it to kill someone.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:

    > In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    > sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    > impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    > long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    > years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    > it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    > item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    > running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    > fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    > then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    > Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    > limiting it's power?

    Depending on how powerful you want it to be, you could go with
    invisibilty X/day, improved invisibility X/day, invisibility at will
    (but standard action to activate, like ring of invisibility)...

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    ####
    Try to make the sword give a benefit to the stealthing skills.

    Try to have it on a minute or turn timer. basically the sword is drained of
    power so once you turn visible you can not turn invisible for 10 minutes.
    this limits it to one battle.

    let them have it in all its glory only to find there are drawbacks such as a
    5% (1 out of 20) chance for every swing, the sword actually de-materializes
    and goes right through the enemy without harming it. this makes backstab a
    bit more risky. it also means you have the ability to have it fall right out
    of the players hand when the hilt de-materializes. If it falls into the
    stone floor while in this condition it might get stuck in the floor. all
    things very inconvenient for the player while still making it useful.
    remember he could constantly loose is when it falls through the sheath.

    when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
    sound. This would altogether prevent backstab while also being constant with
    its effect.

    Put some creatures that can "see" invisible objects or "smell" or "hear"
    them. like to face a blind monk who can sense there movements and position
    without the need for sight rendering the weapon in this instance very
    mundane.

    "Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> wrote in message

    > In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    > sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    > impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    > long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    > years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    > it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    > item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    > running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    > fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    > then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    > Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    > limiting it's power?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    <simon.white@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Shanika Andria wrote:
    >> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical
    > short
    >> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a
    > very
    >> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible
    > as
    >> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    >
    >> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword
    > and
    >> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about
    > one
    >> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's
    > Rogue
    >> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    >> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant
    > and
    >> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make
    > it a
    >> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there
    >> limiting it's power?
    >

    > I once played in a game which had an effect (long time ago, can't
    > remember if it was a spell, item, area, curse) which made the affected
    > individual invisible, but also caused all living creatures to become
    > invisible to the affected individual. Perhaps you could modify that,
    > maybe with an alignment/race bias if that's appropriate (eg. wielder
    > can only see and be seen by LG/Magical/Humanoid creatures). When the
    > sword is held, it is an invisible +1 short sword, when it is sheafed
    > you get the dual invisibility.
    >
    > Slightly breakable with blind fighting etc and can be annoying to
    > play/DM on a permenant basis though.
    >
    > Just a thought,
    >
    > --
    >
    > Si

    I love this idea! You might see the earth elemental attacking the party but
    the wizard and the cleric you can't. the moment you use the weapon to attack
    the elemental the wizard and cleric can cast detection magic so they see you
    but you can't see them. Still useful but can lead to very dangerous
    situations.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "John Smith" <fiendish@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
    > sound. This would altogether prevent backstab while also being constant
    > with its effect.

    This would also make it fairly worthless. Throw it away and get a ring of
    invisibility.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    John Smith wrote:

    > when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
    > sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...

    Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
    no, it wouldn't.

    If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
    to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.

    -Bluto
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> typed:

    >In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    >sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    >impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    >long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    >years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    >it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    >item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    >running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    >fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    >then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    >Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    >limiting it's power?

    This is perhaps a bit too different, and a bit powerful:

    The sword itself is invisible, and allows the weilder to Sneak Attack
    as a full-attack action unless the target can see invisible. If you
    hit someone with it, you then get Improved Invisibility with respect
    to that target (only).

    It's a great assassin's weapon, in that you look completely harmless
    until you Sneak Attack; then the poor sod can't even fight back
    effectively.

    Arguably, just leave in the Sneak Attack part and snip the rest.

    --
    Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

    D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message
    > "Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> typed:
    >

    >>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    >>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    >>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    >>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    >>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    >>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    >>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    >>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    >>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    >>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    >>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    >>limiting it's power?
    >
    > This is perhaps a bit too different, and a bit powerful:
    >
    > The sword itself is invisible, and allows the weilder to Sneak Attack
    > as a full-attack action unless the target can see invisible.

    Even better, give a fat bonus to the Bluff feint maneuver. That makes
    pretty good sense.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > John Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
    >> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...
    >
    > Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
    > no, it wouldn't.
    >
    > If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
    > to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.
    >
    > -Bluto

    Whatever... adnd or "2nd edition" is the name of the newsgroup. If you don't
    agree that my post was placed in the correct group make a new one like
    alt.games.dnd3e
    Since I called it backstab and not sneak attack then I meant backstab not
    sneak attack. If you are ignorant of the terminology it is not my problem.
    (ignorance does not mean stupid btw)

    Rooks
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:42:39 -0500, "Shanika Andria"
    <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> wrote:

    >In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    >sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    >impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    >long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    >years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    >it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    >item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    >running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    >fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    >then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    >Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    >limiting it's power?

    Just leaving it as an invisible sword without turning the user
    invisible should be sufficient. And I only recommend that because the
    stupidity of having a sword you never draw because it is more useful
    sheathed makes me wince.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    > In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    > sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    > impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    > long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    > years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    > it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    > item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    > running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    > fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    > then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    > Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    > limiting it's power?

    We simply ruled that it was the act of sheathing the weapon that made you
    invisible. Yes, the rogue can run around invisible, but if he attacks with
    a different weapon, he will need to draw the Sword of Lyons and resheathe
    it. Also, that sword was crazy-hard to find.

    Peter
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    In <-9adnSwqy_wccxvfRVn-rg@giganews.com> "Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> writes:

    >"Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> John Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
    >>> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...
    >>
    >> Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
    >> no, it wouldn't.
    >>
    >> If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
    >> to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.
    >>
    >> -Bluto

    >Whatever... adnd or "2nd edition" is the name of the newsgroup.

    and cross-posted to rec.games.frp.dnd, which is mainly a 3rd ed group
    these days - so Bluto's view is as valid as yours.

    >If you don't
    >agree that my post was placed in the correct group make a new one like
    >alt.games.dnd3e
    >Since I called it backstab and not sneak attack then I meant backstab not
    >sneak attack. If you are ignorant of the terminology it is not my problem.
    >(ignorance does not mean stupid btw)

    On that basis, I suggest we all assume nether of you had noticed the
    cross-post.

    --
    Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    Phil Turner wrote:

    > In <-9adnSwqy_wccxvfRVn-rg@giganews.com> "Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    > >"Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > >> Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
    > >> no, it wouldn't.
    > >>
    > >> If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
    > >> to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.
    >
    > >Whatever... adnd or "2nd edition" is the name of the newsgroup.
    >
    > and cross-posted to rec.games.frp.dnd, which is mainly a 3rd ed group
    > these days - so Bluto's view is as valid as yours.

    Correct. Also, in my defense, I *assumed* from the
    context of the original post that the OP was asking how
    to update the Sword of Lyons into 3e terms (since it is
    otherwise a pretty ridiculous question)...however, upon
    a second reading, I see that there is nothing there to
    necessarily limit the question to that context--and the
    fact that the OP cross-posted to an "adnd" newsgroup
    suggests that wasn't actually his intent, either.

    So...sorry for the confusion. :-)

    > >If you don't
    > >agree that my post was placed in the correct group make a new one like
    > >alt.games.dnd3e
    > >Since I called it backstab and not sneak attack then I meant backstab not
    > >sneak attack. If you are ignorant of the terminology it is not my problem.
    > >(ignorance does not mean stupid btw)
    >
    > On that basis, I suggest we all assume nether of you had noticed the
    > cross-post.

    True in my case, and obviously true in his as well.

    -Bluto
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    capt_malachias@hotmail.com wrote:

    > >>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    > >>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    > >>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    > >>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    > >>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    > >>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    > >>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    > >>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    > >>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    > >>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    > >>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    > >>limiting it's power?
    > >
    > > This is perhaps a bit too different, and a bit powerful:
    > >
    > > The sword itself is invisible, and allows the weilder to Sneak Attack
    > > as a full-attack action unless the target can see invisible.
    >
    > Even better, give a fat bonus to the Bluff feint maneuver. That makes
    > pretty good sense.

    There's a weapon ability somewhere (Races of the Wild?) that, when
    active, blurs the outlines of the weapon and makes your target flat-
    footed. It works like the boots of speed, 10 rounds per day, don't need
    to be consecutive, and is +2 equivalent.

    I think. Best check RoW for specifics.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:32:25 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:

    >Just leaving it as an invisible sword without turning the user
    >invisible should be sufficient. And I only recommend that because the
    >stupidity of having a sword you never draw because it is more useful
    >sheathed makes me wince.

    Shrug. Use your other sword.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Shanika Andria" wrote

    > In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
    > sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
    > impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
    > long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
    > years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
    > it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
    > item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
    > running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
    > fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
    > then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
    > Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
    > limiting it's power?

    Why limit it? The 1st ed sword wasn't all that different than a ring of
    invisibility, so just update it accordingly.

    John
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:00:12 GMT, Bill the Omnipotent
    <weis3w3@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:32:25 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:
    >
    >>Just leaving it as an invisible sword without turning the user
    >>invisible should be sufficient. And I only recommend that because the
    >>stupidity of having a sword you never draw because it is more useful
    >>sheathed makes me wince.
    >
    >Shrug. Use your other sword.

    That is exactly the stupidity of which I speak.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    In article <yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com>, bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:

    >abused(talk about one item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily
    >see the group's Rogue running around at all times invisible. Using a
    >different weapon for fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible
    >for a brief instant and then disappearing again. I know that the
    >easiest solution is to make it a Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What
    >other viable options are there to limiting it's power?

    Have its powers cease functioning if the character has any other weapon on
    him.

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    Mere moments before death, Ubiquitous hastily scrawled:
    >In article <yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com>, bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:
    >
    >>abused(talk about one item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily
    >>see the group's Rogue running around at all times invisible. Using a
    >>different weapon for fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible
    >>for a brief instant and then disappearing again. I know that the
    >>easiest solution is to make it a Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What
    >>other viable options are there to limiting it's power?
    >
    >Have its powers cease functioning if the character has any other weapon on
    >him.

    Your other idea was vastly superior to this one.

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:46:00 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:

    >>Shrug. Use your other sword.
    >
    >That is exactly the stupidity of which I speak.

    OK, that's a point. Still the sword is more useful than something that uses a body slot, say a ring of
    invisibility.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Bill the Omnipotent" <weis3w3@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:46:00 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>Shrug. Use your other sword.
    >>
    >>That is exactly the stupidity of which I speak.
    >
    > OK, that's a point. Still the sword is more useful than something that
    > uses a body slot, say a ring of
    > invisibility.

    It is sort of an unslotted ring of invisibility that can be used as a backup
    weapon in emergencies, in fact.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,