Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anyone remember the Sword of Lyons?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:42:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
limiting it's power?

More about : remember sword lyons

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:42:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Shanika Andria wrote:
> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical
short
> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a
very
> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible
as
> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure

> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword
and
> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about
one
> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's
Rogue
> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant
and
> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make
it a
> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there
to
> limiting it's power?


I once played in a game which had an effect (long time ago, can't
remember if it was a spell, item, area, curse) which made the affected
individual invisible, but also caused all living creatures to become
invisible to the affected individual. Perhaps you could modify that,
maybe with an alignment/race bias if that's appropriate (eg. wielder
can only see and be seen by LG/Magical/Humanoid creatures). When the
sword is held, it is an invisible +1 short sword, when it is sheafed
you get the dual invisibility.

Slightly breakable with blind fighting etc and can be annoying to
play/DM on a permenant basis though.

Just a thought,

--

Si
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:43:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com>, bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:

>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
>limiting it's power?

Side effects. Taking a cue from the Complete Wizard's Handbook, I think
the Sword of Lyons (which I also like) may eventually start to turn the
caster invisible even without the sword on them (starting with
transluscent, of course) and then ultimately immaterial.

Their ultimate fate wouldn't be something bitchin' like ethereal, but
to be an invisible, inaudible, intangible ghost starving to death and
dying of thirst, with no one able to hear or see them. And when they
die, CLUNK, there's the Sword of Lyons on the ground ...

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn
our military victory in Iraq into a second Vietnam quagmire. Too bad
for them, it's failing.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 1:01:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> wrote in message
news:yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com...
>
> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
> item creating an instant munchkin).

It is actually weaker than a ring of invisibility, unless you stay invisible
when attacking with other weapons. What is the problem?

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

from _Invictus_, by William Ernest Henley
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:42:39 -0500, "Shanika Andria"
<bzv77whic@cruzers.com> scribed into the ether:

>
>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
>limiting it's power?

Assuming you want to stick with the invisibility, apply a per day
restriction on using the no-see-me! part. Or apply some sort of provocative
curse...like the weapon won't go back into the scabbard after you draw it
until you use it to kill someone.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:

> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
> limiting it's power?

Depending on how powerful you want it to be, you could go with
invisibilty X/day, improved invisibility X/day, invisibility at will
(but standard action to activate, like ring of invisibility)...


--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:00:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

####
Try to make the sword give a benefit to the stealthing skills.

Try to have it on a minute or turn timer. basically the sword is drained of
power so once you turn visible you can not turn invisible for 10 minutes.
this limits it to one battle.

let them have it in all its glory only to find there are drawbacks such as a
5% (1 out of 20) chance for every swing, the sword actually de-materializes
and goes right through the enemy without harming it. this makes backstab a
bit more risky. it also means you have the ability to have it fall right out
of the players hand when the hilt de-materializes. If it falls into the
stone floor while in this condition it might get stuck in the floor. all
things very inconvenient for the player while still making it useful.
remember he could constantly loose is when it falls through the sheath.

when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
sound. This would altogether prevent backstab while also being constant with
its effect.

Put some creatures that can "see" invisible objects or "smell" or "hear"
them. like to face a blind monk who can sense there movements and position
without the need for sight rendering the weapon in this instance very
mundane.



"Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> wrote in message
news:yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com...
>
> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
> limiting it's power?
>
>
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:14:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

<simon.white@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1116067258.683859.258560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Shanika Andria wrote:
>> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical
> short
>> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a
> very
>> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible
> as
>> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
>
>> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword
> and
>> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about
> one
>> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's
> Rogue
>> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
>> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant
> and
>> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make
> it a
>> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there
> to
>> limiting it's power?
>
>
> I once played in a game which had an effect (long time ago, can't
> remember if it was a spell, item, area, curse) which made the affected
> individual invisible, but also caused all living creatures to become
> invisible to the affected individual. Perhaps you could modify that,
> maybe with an alignment/race bias if that's appropriate (eg. wielder
> can only see and be seen by LG/Magical/Humanoid creatures). When the
> sword is held, it is an invisible +1 short sword, when it is sheafed
> you get the dual invisibility.
>
> Slightly breakable with blind fighting etc and can be annoying to
> play/DM on a permenant basis though.
>
> Just a thought,
>
> --
>
> Si
>
I love this idea! You might see the earth elemental attacking the party but
the wizard and the cleric you can't. the moment you use the weapon to attack
the elemental the wizard and cleric can cast detection magic so they see you
but you can't see them. Still useful but can lead to very dangerous
situations.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 11:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"John Smith" <fiendish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:at-dnda_6LJM1xvfRVn-2A@giganews.com...

> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab while also being constant
> with its effect.

This would also make it fairly worthless. Throw it away and get a ring of
invisibility.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

from _Invictus_, by William Ernest Henley
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:20:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

John Smith wrote:
>
> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...

Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
no, it wouldn't.

If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.

-Bluto
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:55:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> typed:

>
>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
>limiting it's power?

This is perhaps a bit too different, and a bit powerful:

The sword itself is invisible, and allows the weilder to Sneak Attack
as a full-attack action unless the target can see invisible. If you
hit someone with it, you then get Improved Invisibility with respect
to that target (only).

It's a great assassin's weapon, in that you look completely harmless
until you Sneak Attack; then the poor sod can't even fight back
effectively.

Arguably, just leave in the Sneak Attack part and snip the rest.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:55:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message
news:2llc811uncsn8nki7fohpr4ngu9v2op461@4ax.com...
> "Shanika Andria" <bzv77whic@cruzers.com> typed:
>
>>
>>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
>>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
>>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
>>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
>>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
>>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
>>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
>>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
>>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
>>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
>>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
>>limiting it's power?
>
> This is perhaps a bit too different, and a bit powerful:
>
> The sword itself is invisible, and allows the weilder to Sneak Attack
> as a full-attack action unless the target can see invisible.

Even better, give a fat bonus to the Bluff feint maneuver. That makes
pretty good sense.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

from _Invictus_, by William Ernest Henley
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:39:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:4286DC0C.5E68CC1@comcast.net...
> John Smith wrote:
>>
>> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
>> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...
>
> Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
> no, it wouldn't.
>
> If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
> to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.
>
> -Bluto

Whatever... adnd or "2nd edition" is the name of the newsgroup. If you don't
agree that my post was placed in the correct group make a new one like
alt.games.dnd3e
Since I called it backstab and not sneak attack then I meant backstab not
sneak attack. If you are ignorant of the terminology it is not my problem.
(ignorance does not mean stupid btw)

Rooks
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:32:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:42:39 -0500, "Shanika Andria"
<bzv77whic@cruzers.com> wrote:

>
>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
>limiting it's power?

Just leaving it as an invisible sword without turning the user
invisible should be sufficient. And I only recommend that because the
stupidity of having a sword you never draw because it is more useful
sheathed makes me wince.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:58:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
> limiting it's power?
>
>

We simply ruled that it was the act of sheathing the weapon that made you
invisible. Yes, the rogue can run around invisible, but if he attacks with
a different weapon, he will need to draw the Sword of Lyons and resheathe
it. Also, that sword was crazy-hard to find.

Peter
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:25:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In <-9adnSwqy_wccxvfRVn-rg@giganews.com> "Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> writes:


>"Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:4286DC0C.5E68CC1@comcast.net...
>> John Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
>>> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...
>>
>> Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
>> no, it wouldn't.
>>
>> If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
>> to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.
>>
>> -Bluto

>Whatever... adnd or "2nd edition" is the name of the newsgroup.

and cross-posted to rec.games.frp.dnd, which is mainly a 3rd ed group
these days - so Bluto's view is as valid as yours.

>If you don't
>agree that my post was placed in the correct group make a new one like
>alt.games.dnd3e
>Since I called it backstab and not sneak attack then I meant backstab not
>sneak attack. If you are ignorant of the terminology it is not my problem.
>(ignorance does not mean stupid btw)

On that basis, I suggest we all assume nether of you had noticed the
cross-post.

>Rooks


--
Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:25:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Phil Turner wrote:
>
> In <-9adnSwqy_wccxvfRVn-rg@giganews.com> "Rooks" <fiendish@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >"Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >news:4286DC0C.5E68CC1@comcast.net...
> >> John Smith wrote:
> >>>
> >>> when sheathed the sword hums with a high pitched and obviously magical
> >>> sound. This would altogether prevent backstab...
> >>
> >> Assuming that by "backstab" you mean *sneak attacks*,
> >> no, it wouldn't.
> >>
> >> If you meant something else by "backstab," you'll have
> >> to tell us what, as that term has no meaning in 3e.
>
> >Whatever... adnd or "2nd edition" is the name of the newsgroup.
>
> and cross-posted to rec.games.frp.dnd, which is mainly a 3rd ed group
> these days - so Bluto's view is as valid as yours.

Correct. Also, in my defense, I *assumed* from the
context of the original post that the OP was asking how
to update the Sword of Lyons into 3e terms (since it is
otherwise a pretty ridiculous question)...however, upon
a second reading, I see that there is nothing there to
necessarily limit the question to that context--and the
fact that the OP cross-posted to an "adnd" newsgroup
suggests that wasn't actually his intent, either.

So...sorry for the confusion. :-)

> >If you don't
> >agree that my post was placed in the correct group make a new one like
> >alt.games.dnd3e
> >Since I called it backstab and not sneak attack then I meant backstab not
> >sneak attack. If you are ignorant of the terminology it is not my problem.
> >(ignorance does not mean stupid btw)
>
> On that basis, I suggest we all assume nether of you had noticed the
> cross-post.

True in my case, and obviously true in his as well.

-Bluto
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:35:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

capt_malachias@hotmail.com wrote:

> >>In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
> >>sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
> >>impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
> >>long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
> >>years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
> >>it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
> >>item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
> >>running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
> >>fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
> >>then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
> >>Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
> >>limiting it's power?
> >
> > This is perhaps a bit too different, and a bit powerful:
> >
> > The sword itself is invisible, and allows the weilder to Sneak Attack
> > as a full-attack action unless the target can see invisible.
>
> Even better, give a fat bonus to the Bluff feint maneuver. That makes
> pretty good sense.

There's a weapon ability somewhere (Races of the Wild?) that, when
active, blurs the outlines of the weapon and makes your target flat-
footed. It works like the boots of speed, 10 rounds per day, don't need
to be consecutive, and is +2 equivalent.

I think. Best check RoW for specifics.


--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:00:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:32:25 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:

>Just leaving it as an invisible sword without turning the user
>invisible should be sufficient. And I only recommend that because the
>stupidity of having a sword you never draw because it is more useful
>sheathed makes me wince.

Shrug. Use your other sword.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:15:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Shanika Andria" wrote
>
> In A3(Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords) there is a magical short
> sword called the Sword of Lyons. It is a +1 short sword yet has a very
> impressive attribute, it is invisible. The owner of it is invisible as
> long as the sword is sheathed also. When I went through the adventure
> years ago, my DM took that sword out of the module. I like the sword and
> it is a very neat idea, but I don't want it to be abused(talk about one
> item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily see the group's Rogue
> running around at all times invisible. Using a different weapon for
> fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible for a brief instant and
> then disappearing again. I know that the easiest solution is to make it a
> Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What other viable options are there to
> limiting it's power?

Why limit it? The 1st ed sword wasn't all that different than a ring of
invisibility, so just update it accordingly.


John
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 10:46:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:00:12 GMT, Bill the Omnipotent
<weis3w3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:32:25 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:
>
>>Just leaving it as an invisible sword without turning the user
>>invisible should be sufficient. And I only recommend that because the
>>stupidity of having a sword you never draw because it is more useful
>>sheathed makes me wince.
>
>Shrug. Use your other sword.

That is exactly the stupidity of which I speak.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 11:43:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com>, bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:

>abused(talk about one item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily
>see the group's Rogue running around at all times invisible. Using a
>different weapon for fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible
>for a brief instant and then disappearing again. I know that the
>easiest solution is to make it a Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What
>other viable options are there to limiting it's power?

Have its powers cease functioning if the character has any other weapon on
him.

--
======================================================================
ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:08:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Mere moments before death, Ubiquitous hastily scrawled:
>In article <yar2qjbzv77whic@cruzers.com>, bzv77whic@cruzers.com wrote:
>
>>abused(talk about one item creating an instant munchkin). I can easily
>>see the group's Rogue running around at all times invisible. Using a
>>different weapon for fighting, then when he attacks becoming visible
>>for a brief instant and then disappearing again. I know that the
>>easiest solution is to make it a Short Sword +1 and nothing else. What
>>other viable options are there to limiting it's power?
>
>Have its powers cease functioning if the character has any other weapon on
>him.

Your other idea was vastly superior to this one.



Ed Chauvin IV

--
DISCLAIMER : WARNING: RULE # 196 is X-rated in that to calculate L,
use X = [(C2/10)^2], and RULE # 193 which is NOT meant to be read by
kids, since RULE # 187 EXPLAINS homosexuality mathematically, using
modifier G @ 11.

"I always feel left out when someone *else* gets killfiled."
--Terry Austin
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:29:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:46:00 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:

>>Shrug. Use your other sword.
>
>That is exactly the stupidity of which I speak.

OK, that's a point. Still the sword is more useful than something that uses a body slot, say a ring of
invisibility.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:47:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Bill the Omnipotent" <weis3w3@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:244i81hb8msl3rdrpund868ailsd9oulvq@4ax.com...
>
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:46:00 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston)
> wrote:
>
>>>Shrug. Use your other sword.
>>
>>That is exactly the stupidity of which I speak.
>
> OK, that's a point. Still the sword is more useful than something that
> uses a body slot, say a ring of
> invisibility.

It is sort of an unslotted ring of invisibility that can be used as a backup
weapon in emergencies, in fact.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

from _Invictus_, by William Ernest Henley
!