want a checklist for new win98se install

richardb_sydney

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
I've done so many half completed,interupted/corrupted installs of windows on so many now collapsed/busted PCs. (Try having 3 PC's die in the same day!)

Finally I've invested in a new PC, and I want to do a good setup for the family PC (networked to other PCs). But I've lost my notes on previous setup ideas !

Anyone know of any useful checklist or similar for all the basic things I need to do for a really complete, stable set-up, with good backups using CD-RW

I've got tools such as
- Norton System Works, inlc Rescue disk
- new PC comes with a Norton firewall etc disk, not yet fully investigated.

Got a fairly techo background, but no pretensions to being a guru or up to date, or doing anything esoteric. Just looking for good basics.

Would welcome pointers to any decent website. Or maybe it's time to invest a decent book on the topic.

(PS:
Decided to stick with Win98SE, for $ reasons.
Expect to use Family Logon, with thihgs like favourites shared.
Expect first network will be by crossover LAN cable. But will buy a small hub for connecting the third and subsequent PC's)

While we are at it, anyone know a good way to effectively share Outlook/Office2000 over several family PC's, so we can each check mail and redirect to others inbox, share contacts, calendars, mail archives etc). If necessary, could consider small expenditure to achieve this. Generally like Outlook, but if there is somthing better out there for this job, for a small price, then tell me.

richardb_sydney

Sounds like you're the guy to come up with a checklist. :wink:

Universal bootdisk from bootdisk.com
If using RAID get it all sorted before OS installation.
My personal checklist tends to be as follows:

OS
Hardware discs
Powerquest stuff

Backup 1 (Master)

Symantec stuff & MS apps and any other utilities

Backup 2

Games :smile:

That's it.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just boot of the CD, run fdisk to partition the drive, run the format command to format the drive (setup does a poor job of formating drives, often gives you a 2GB partition), and run setup. Simple unless you have a VIA chipset or other defective part.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>