How to build a P4

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The April issue of Maximum PC has an interesting article on "How to prepare for your new Pentium 4 computer".

Of note, the following paragraph on heatsinks:

<font color=blue>"The Pentium 4's massive power consumption translates into increased heat. To dissipate the excess heat, Intel is pushing larger, copper-based heatsinks. Because copper is heavier then the aluminum used in traditional heatsinks, Intel recommends bolting the heatsink to the case itself. This keeps the heatsink from tugging on the proc--and bending the mobo--or falling off, </font color=blue><font color=red>leaving the Pentium 4 to burn to a crisp.</font color=red>

Later in the article they say:

<font color=red>"LESSON:</font color=red><font color=blue> It's hot! Damn hot! Even the mightiest of Pentium III and Athlon heatsinks can't stand up to the sizzling capabilities of the Pentium 4".</font color=blue>

Sounds like Intel copied something from AMD after all....

G

heh, i guess if you said "BUUUUUUUURRRRN!" to this one itd have a strange irony to it :)

AMD. It gets you chicks.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I thought this is how you make a p4:

1. Buy a normal p3 (but pay a hell of a lot more)
2. scrape off the III and put in a 4.
3. Clock it down (get some crack to make your software think otherwise)
4. <font color=red><b>IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT!</b></font color=red> Get a p4 intel inside sticker. wont work without!
5. Hey Presto! you have a geniuineIntel Pentium 4!

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

with all the heat it produces and the really high clock speed it runs at, it makes you wonder what the hell the processor is actually doing in there.

PENTIUM IV: The 3DREALMS of CPU'S

i.e. both have all the stuff they need to be really really awesome, but neither of them actually seem to do anything.

sort of like having turtles as pets

AMD. It gets you chicks.