SETr makes it to Lair with interesting options.

Renton the Transmogrifier (Sludge Elf)
(Level 11 Transmuter)

Play time: 05:50:12 Number of turns: 22597

Experience : 11/15489
Strength 9 Dexterity 18 Intelligence 17

>Restarted until I got characters with at least int 14 and I've been putting everything into int. Be nice to have some more strength, though.

Hit Points : 64/80 Magic Points : 24
AC : 9 Evasion : 14 Shield : 0
GP : 100

You are in the Lair.

>The Lair entrance appeared on D:9 and I haven't found the Mine entrance. Did I miss it or can it show up beyond D:9?

You worship Kikubaaqudgha.
Kikubaaqudgha is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
b - an uncursed orcish dagger
i - an uncursed glowing knife
q - an uncursed blowgun
D - an uncursed spear
M - a spear
N - an uncursed spear
P - an uncursed dwarven dagger
S - an uncursed dagger

>Stashed the needles and forgot to stash the blowgun. It gives me something to hold on to while reading unidentified scrolls.

Armour
a - a +2 orcish leather armour (worn)
k - a +2 cloak of darkness (worn)
v - a +0 helmet (worn)
O - the +1 buckler of Cequfrosi
It affects your evasion (+4).
It affects your strength (+4).
It affects your dexterity (+3).

>Haven't used this, but thought it could come in handy against, say, centaurs, or when carrying corpses around. I'll probably end up throwing it away as I'm having weight problems and don't need the headache of swapping it in.

Magical devices
f - a wand of digging
F - a wand of teleportation
J - a brass wand
K - a wand of draining
L - a glowing silver wand
V - a wand of draining
Z - a tapered bronze wand

>Why haven't I ID'd these? Because I'm a bad person. Actually, I'm hoping for a few ID scrolls and two of those wands are recent finds. Draining works on jellies and hopefully any hydras I should have the bad luck to meet. More likely, running away in spider form will work on hydras.

Comestibles
y - an apple
R - 8 honeycombs

>Found two hives. Killer bees were very tough to melee. On the bright side they were easy to kill with evaporated poison and their corpses were a good source of more poison. Grey rats, green rats, and jackals also seem good for distillation purposes.

Scrolls
c - a scroll of detect curse
s - a scroll of teleportation
t - 2 scrolls of remove curse
u - a scroll of blinking
X - a scroll of acquirement

>What should I wish for? I used the previous one on a book. A staff?

Jewellery
d - a cursed ring of teleportation
j - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
n - a ring of poison resistance (left hand)
E - a ring of protection from fire
H - an uncursed scratched brass ring
Q - an uncursed blackened emerald amulet (around neck)
T - a ring of teleport control
W - a ring of protection from fire

>H for hunger. No idea what Q is, but I've IDd inaccuracy so I figure there's no harm in wearing it. Conservation, hopefully.

Potions
e - 5 potions of confusion
g - 5 potions of healing
h - 3 potions of poison
l - a potion of speed
m - a potion of slowing
o - a potion of paralysis
p - 2 potions of levitation
r - a viscous silvery potion
w - 3 potions of poison
x - a potion of confusion
z - 2 potions of heal wounds
B - a potion of might
C - a potion of restore abilities
I - 3 potions of strong poison
U - a cyan potion

>And I have even more confusion and poison stashed. This section needs some management.

Books
Y - a book of War Chants
Magical staves
A - a thin staff

>Recently found. No ID scrolls in stash, either.

You have 2 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 7 Fighting
- Level 3 Throwing
+ Level 11 Dodging
+ Level 5 Stealth
- Level 2 Stabbing
+ Level 3 Traps & Doors
+ Level 9 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 6 Spellcasting
- Level 2 Enchantments
+ Level 3 Necromancy
+ Level 13 Transmigration
- Level 2 Fire Magic
- Level 1 Poison Magic

>I had unarmed combat off for a while but it's getting close to going up to 10 so I turned it on and will turn it off when that happens. I used spider form and confusing touch to train spellcasting. Spider form burned a bit much food, though. Should I turn off transmigration as well? Blade hands is working reliably now. I started traps and doors before I found selective amnesia. SEs are poor with divinations anyway.

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fulsome Distillation Transmigration/NecromancyExcellent 1
b - Evaporate Fire/Transmigration Great 2
c - Spider Form Poison/Transmigration Great 3
d - Confusing Touch Enchantment Great 1
e - Blade Hands Transmigration Great 5
f - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Very Good 3

>The mainstays are a, b, and e. I got some use out of d and c but being poison resistant and having more potions of confusion than I know what to do with, it's better to use evaporate than confusing touch. Since I lack ranged attack other than thrown weapons and evaporate, confusion is a generally a PITA for combat purposes.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You have tough skin (AC +1).
Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
You can sense your immediate surroundings.

smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

> You are in the Lair.
>
> The Lair entrance appeared on D:9 and I haven't found the Mine entrance. Did I miss it or can it show up beyond D:9?

>From http://www.swallowtail.org/crawl/branches.shtml :
The Orcish Mines
The stairs to the Orcish Mines are found in the main dungeon somewhere
between levels 6 and 11.

I'm playing a Transmuter right now too! Good luck with your game.

Sean

<smartwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >The Lair entrance appeared on D:9 and I haven't found the Mine
entrance. Did I miss it or can it show up beyond D:9?

I'm pretty sure it can show up deeper than D:9, but if someone else
tells you otherwise, believe them.

> You worship Kikubaaqudgha.
> Kikubaaqudgha is extremely pleased with you.
> You are not hungry.
>
> Inventory:
> Hand weapons
> b - an uncursed orcish dagger
> i - an uncursed glowing knife
> q - an uncursed blowgun
> D - an uncursed spear
> M - a spear
> N - an uncursed spear
> P - an uncursed dwarven dagger
> S - an uncursed dagger
>
> >Stashed the needles and forgot to stash the blowgun. It gives me
something to hold on to while reading unidentified scrolls.

Are you going to use any of these, aside from the blowgun?

> Armour
> a - a +2 orcish leather armour (worn)

Without any armor skill this -- even this! -- is greatly hindering your
unarmed attacks. Swap it for a robe.

> k - a +2 cloak of darkness (worn)
> v - a +0 helmet (worn)
> O - the +1 buckler of Cequfrosi
> It affects your evasion (+4).
> It affects your strength (+4).
> It affects your dexterity (+3).
>
> >Haven't used this, but thought it could come in handy against, say,
centaurs, or when carrying corpses around. I'll probably end up throwing
it away as I'm having weight problems and don't need the headache of
swapping it in.

This is probably wise.

> Magical devices

[...]

> >Why haven't I ID'd these? Because I'm a bad person. Actually, I'm
hoping for a few ID scrolls and two of those wands are recent finds.
Draining works on jellies and hopefully any hydras I should have the bad
luck to meet. More likely, running away in spider form will work on
hydras.

You can still zap wands in spider form. You can still attack jellies in
spider form, as a matter of fact, without any equipment getting damaged,
since you're naked. So save the charges for the hydras, and then zap
then while running away in spider form.

> Scrolls
> c - a scroll of detect curse
> s - a scroll of teleportation
> t - 2 scrolls of remove curse
> u - a scroll of blinking

I know you're having weight problems, so that probably has something to
do with this, but... don't let Erik hypnotize you into having no
consumables in your inventory at all. Reasonable men can disagree about
the scrolls of blinking, but one scroll of teleport is asking for
trouble, unless you're scrupulous about slipping on that =TC in every
emergency situation (which is of course a good idea). And even then
things can go wrong: a monster wanders onto the space you're trying to
teleport onto, the scroll gets burned before you get a chance to read
it...

> X - a scroll of acquirement
>
> >What should I wish for? I used the previous one on a book. A staff?

The third Transmigrations book doesn't really have anything you'd want
in it, IIRC (Shatter, maybe. I don't think anyone's ever cast Shatter,
so no one knows how good it might be). We can return to this question
later.

> Jewellery
> d - a cursed ring of teleportation
> j - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
> n - a ring of poison resistance (left hand)
> E - a ring of protection from fire
> H - an uncursed scratched brass ring
> Q - an uncursed blackened emerald amulet (around neck)
> T - a ring of teleport control
> W - a ring of protection from fire
>
> >H for hunger. No idea what Q is, but I've IDd inaccuracy so I figure
there's no harm in wearing it. Conservation, hopefully.

Make totally sure, if you haven't already, that H isn't secretly
Regeneration, because those can be generated cursed, and then you'll
feel silly.

As for the amulet, try to eat something when you're not hungry, drink a
potion of levitation, a potion of confusion, and a potion of slowing,
and if nothing unusual happens, it's either Resist Corrosion or
Conservation.

> Books
> Y - a book of War Chants
> Magical staves
> A - a thin staff
>
> >Recently found. No ID scrolls in stash, either.

Just wield it and cast at a wall for awhile. It'll auto-ID eventually,
even if it's not affecting whatever spell you're casting.

> You have 2 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> + Level 7 Fighting
> - Level 3 Throwing
> + Level 11 Dodging
> + Level 5 Stealth
> - Level 2 Stabbing
> + Level 3 Traps & Doors
> + Level 9 Unarmed Combat
> + Level 6 Spellcasting
> - Level 2 Enchantments
> + Level 3 Necromancy
> + Level 13 Transmigration
> - Level 2 Fire Magic
> - Level 1 Poison Magic
>
> >I had unarmed combat off for a while but it's getting close to going
up to 10 so I turned it on and will turn it off when that happens. I
used spider form and confusing touch to train spellcasting. Spider form
burned a bit much food, though. Should I turn off transmigration as
well? Blade hands is working reliably now. I started traps and doors
before I found selective amnesia. SEs are poor with divinations anyway.

Detect Traps is still way more reliable than Traps&Doors, so if you can
learn Detect Traps, I'd do that regardless of the Divinations skill of
SEs. It's only a level two spell.

Responsible, mature people are going to yell at you for turning off
unarmed combat, and they're right, but I probably would've, too.
Personally, the first thing I do when I start a game is turn Stealth off
for everybody but assassins/stalkers, but YMMV, and often does.

Anything interesting in the armor one?

> >Stashed spellbooks: a book of Practical Magic, a book of
Transfigurations, a book of Charms, hinderance, frost, starting book,
and war chants as seen in inventory. Spells I'm thinking are candidates
to memorize are berserk, regeneration (sounds useful plus trains
necromancy), statue form, silence. In the longer view, necromutation,
dragon form, and haste, but of course one doesn't know what other
possibilities will occur or if this guy will survive the next level.

I'd decide right now whether your goal is dragon form or necromutation,
or something else, and then focus on either Necro or Fire, and forego
statue form. My kenku's got INT 16, Necro 20, Transmigration 13, and
without boosters Necromutation is at "Very Poor" (with one booster:
Great. With two, Excellent). Dragon Form's also a level 8 spell, so
you'll have a similar issue proceeding on your current course, though
since you can stick Fire boosters in three slots, those are less of a
problem than Necro ones (OTOH, once you've cast Necromutation once, it
boosts itself when you extend the transformation). While it'll be
possible to have both spells memorized and castable, you can't stack
them, so whichever form you're not in at the moment is just sitting
there in your memory, moldering.like a loaf of bologna left on a
dashboard in July.

The Necromancy spells from Kikky can complement Dragonform (Bjornor's
Revivification should be castable relatively easily, at least, and can
be a lifesaver), and a berserking Dragon's pretty impressive.
Necromutation is my new favorite toy so I can't really be objective
about it. But consider:

Blade Hands has an attack strength of 12+(strength+dex)/4. In other
words, around 20, which at Unarmed Combat speeds is better than just
about anything this side of the Executioner's Axe Pukox Lot. Dragon
Form has an attack strength of 20+strength, and gives a strength bonus
for being in Dragon Form. So for you, around 40 at Unarmed Combat
speeds, which shames even Pukox Lot. So that's a lot -- but Blade Hands
is already very powerful. Things don't get any more killed than dead.

Breathing fire is cool, but not really that useful. You get no benefits
from armor slots while in dragon form (you might be able to wear a
cloak). I could be wrong, but I think it hinders spellcasting. You'll
need at least one, possibly two rings of fire to cast it in the first
place, so you'll necessarily be cold-susceptible on top of the
dragonfulness, which isn't a huge problem, usually, because of all the
HPs, but those can disappear pretty fast from a few torments. To chain
a level 8 spell in Dragon Form, you won't have access to a staff of
energy or anything, so you're probably going to be looking at 500+
calories burnt every casting.

Lichform, on the other hand, grants Torment resistance, which is the
sweetest plum in the game. There are no armor restriction in it, so you
can reap the benefits of all your slots -- you want to be a dragon? Put
on a dragon armor and let your imagination run free! You can chain
Necromutation with pretty much no penalty -- it boosts itself, you don't
hunger while you're in it, Kikky will protect you from the Necro
miscasts and Lichform will protect you from the nasty transmigrations
ones (you can't mutate! You're undead!). A miscast of a high-level
spell like Dragonform could leave you horribly mutated, or worse. Like
"really horribly mutated", or something. "L" is an angular, manly
number, not like the swishy, corpulent "D". Fire magic's almost all
conjurations, too -- so what are you going to do with all those skill
levels in Fire, anyway? You're a fighter!

It really depends on what your goals are -- Dragonform is more than fine
for clearing out the bottom of the Vaults and messing around in Zot. As
a Kikkubite, though, you're going to want to do the Tomb (it will never
be easier, believe me), and here Necromutation shines. It shines
brighter in Hell and Pandemonium. So if you've got ambitions -- which
aren't always healthy -- focus on Necro and go for Lichform. Otherwise,
go where your heart takes you.

Either way, if you want to use your acquirement on a staff, you'll want
to boost the spell skill of whatever staff you're going so it's your
highest spell skill. ID the staff you have now first, though. If you
decide to go the fire route, probably use the acquirement on something
else: rings of fire are easy enough to come across. For Necro, though,
you'll almost NEED the staff, so I wouldn't risk not finding one.

--
Jeremey

smartwick@yahoo.com wrote:

For some reason, certain lines in your posts, especially ones with >
signs, end up miswrapping for me. I wish I knew what was going on. The
problem may of course be on my end. I'm on Thunderbird, XP.

> Magical devices
> f - a wand of digging
> F - a wand of teleportation
> J - a brass wand
> K - a wand of draining
> L - a glowing silver wand
> V - a wand of draining
> Z - a tapered bronze wand
>
>>Why haven't I ID'd these? Because I'm a bad person.

You bad, bad person you.

Actually, I'm hoping for a few ID scrolls and two of those wands are
recent finds. Draining works on jellies and hopefully any hydras I
should have the bad luck to meet. More likely, running away in spider
form will work on hydras.

I'd drop the teleportation and carry that many more scrolls --
teleportation is rather useful later on if you ever start casting
Silence (it'll work, your scrolls won't) and in the Abyss, Pan, and the
hotter hells (it won't burn, your scrolls will), though I grant that
some of the above cases are often in regions where you don't want to be
teleporting anyway and may not even be visiting.

Draining is too good to waste on jellies; that's what wands of flame are
for. (I'm beginning to change my opinion on "Draining as first powerful
wand to expend" in that there are few better methods out there for
detoothing glowing shapeshifters than hitting them a couple times with
Draining at the start of the battle.)

There are enough hydras out there that you'll want a more "renewable"
solution than wands in the long run.

>[evaporate and bees]

The worse the corpse is to eat, the better it is for distillation. It
also helps if you let it go bad.

Mummies can also lend a helping hand in getting the best potions for
evaporating, although mummies are rare until an era where evaporate has
already mostly gone out of style anyway.

> Scrolls
> c - a scroll of detect curse
> s - a scroll of teleportation
> t - 2 scrolls of remove curse
> u - a scroll of blinking
> X - a scroll of acquirement

Yoouuuu are getting sleeeeeeeepyyyyyyyy.... caaaaaarryyyyy mooooooore
scroooooooools of teeeeeleeeeeeportaaaaaaaationnnnnnnn...

>>What should I wish for? I used the previous one on a book. A staff?

There are no staves of Transmigration, so I can't say for sure what
you're likely to get without a deeper source check than I have time for.
Probably got for a book (unless you already have a really good
Transmigrations book) or jewellery.

> Jewellery
> E - a ring of protection from fire
> W - a ring of protection from fire

*ONE* shall be enough!

(It's not a big deal in the slightest and you're probably on the way to
changing it anyway; I just wanted a chance to write that quote.)

> Y - a book of War Chants
[...]
> You have 7 spell levels left.

For now -- Regeneration, Berserk Rage. Turn Enchantments back on; sure,
SE's are bad at it, but it's too useful as combat support for a
Transmuter to leave it at level 2 (Oz, Silence, Deflect Missiles,
Swiftness, Haste...). My Kenku winner swore by it, and Kenkus are
likewise bad at Enchantments.

> Magical staves
> A - a thin staff
>
>>Recently found. No ID scrolls in stash, either.

Wield it and cast spells at the wall for a while to ID it for free.

> You have 2 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> + Level 7 Fighting
> - Level 3 Throwing
> + Level 11 Dodging
> + Level 5 Stealth
> - Level 2 Stabbing
> + Level 3 Traps & Doors
> + Level 9 Unarmed Combat
> + Level 6 Spellcasting
> - Level 2 Enchantments
> + Level 3 Necromancy
> + Level 13 Transmigration
> - Level 2 Fire Magic
> - Level 1 Poison Magic
>

> Should I turn off transmigration as well?

It's cheap for Sludge Elves, although I've never quite figured out what
good a really high Transmigrations is. I may just have been missing
something. Also, I've never played a transmuter into the endgame, and
thus have no experience with how good the high-level *combat*
transmigrations are, except for Necromutation, which is of course all
right. Personally I'd turn it off for now, but I'm not sure that's the
right thing.

> Blade hands is working reliably now. I started traps and doors before
> I found selective amnesia. SEs are poor with divinations anyway.

A level or two doesn't hurt, and I personally find Detect Traps to be a
safer route than T&D. For the counterargument, however, see:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.misc/msg/8dc7e6d90c3637ea?hl=en

> Since I lack ranged attack other than thrown weapons and evaporate,
> confusion is a generally a PITA for combat purposes.

If it doesn't cramp your style, Earth conjurations (heavy on the Earth
part) could be a nice ranged option.

>>Stashed spellbooks: a book of Practical Magic, a book of Transfigurations,
>>a book of Charms, hinderance, frost, starting book, and war chants as
seen
>>in inventory.

Oh, then. Maybe skip Regeneration for now and take Oz. Once you're not
as tight for spell levels, detect curse is nice (though not so important
for an unarmed character as for some). Charms has some nice support
enchantments, can't remember which offhand, but I remember almost always
learning a new spell or two when I first bump into it. Hinderances take
too much Enchantments to blow through enemy resistance for them to be
worthwhile.

Projected Noise (from Practical Magic) is extremely nice if you're
willing and able to invest thought into its use; I personally am not
able to do so, but I often learn it in the hopes I'll break through and
be able. It's like regeneration in that it requires foresight to use
well, but all in all, barring Deflect Missiles, would you rather first
encounter a yaktaur pack here...

#
#
###################
@
###################
#
#

....or here?

#
#
###################
@
###################
#
#

It also serves as a way to uncover hidden areas without learning Detect
Creatures/Detect Traps (let alone Magic Mapping). (You get different
messages depending on whether you hit rock or open space.)

Erik

First I want to thank the three of you for the help. Regretably, but
predictably, Renton got waxed. I had a ghost in the red but suddenly I
couldn't connect for like three freaking rounds and it got in a hit for
something like 25 hp, which is well more than it had done prior. I was
standing on the stairs ready to flee. I just pushed it too far. I was
so mad I deleted the bones files. I didn't care if it's cheating at
that point-- and still don't, truth be told. In any event, after the
usual "Never again! I've had it!" period, which lasted maybe an hour, I
was back at it making SETrs. I haven't found I flavor I enjoy so much
since the good old MiBes. It takes more to get them going and it takes
more to keep them alive, but it's a great cross of fighter and spell
caster. It sure beats casting magic dart or evoking a rod of striking
500 times an hour. IMHO, of course.

It took a few tries, but I've got another one nearly as well along as
Rents was. No sources of poison resistance yet, but there's plenty of
stores. Dig:

Level 5 of the Dungeon
Dunuqygysegev's General Store
a bread ration (52 gold)
a scroll of identify (26 gold)
a potion of healing (26 gold)
a scroll of magic mapping (45 gold)
a wand of magic darts (10) (50 gold)
a scroll of identify (26 gold)
37 +0 stones (48 gold)
a +0 robe (15 gold)

Level 7 of the Dungeon
Plog's Weapon Shop
a +2,+0 halberd of reaching (663 gold)
a cursed -3,-1 mace (18 gold)
27 poisoned +1 bolts (162 gold)
a +0 short sword (48 gold)
a -1,+1 orcish scimitar (64 gold)
14 +4 arrows of flame (210 gold)
28 +0 darts (42 gold)
a +0 quarterstaff (48 gold)
a +2,+1 elven spear (133 gold)
26 +0 stones (39 gold)
the +3,+9 hammer "Aubergine" (1330 gold)
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It affects your evasion (+2).
It protects you from magic.
It speeds your metabolism.
a +0 club (15 gold)

Xuhityf's Magical Wand Shop
a wand of draining (6) (198 gold)
a wand of digging (9) (126 gold)
a wand of fire (8) (175 gold)
a wand of enslavement (8) (175 gold)
a wand of paralysis (10) (189 gold)
a wand of slowing (6) (126 gold)
a wand of disintegration (9) (238 gold)
a wand of magic darts (20) (103 gold)
a wand of invisibility (4) (103 gold)
a wand of lightning (12) (360 gold)
a wand of confusion (4) (81 gold)

Unusifo's Magic Scroll Shop
a scroll of forgetfulness (1 gold)
3 scrolls of fear (202 gold)
a scroll of remove curse (45 gold)
a scroll of identify (30 gold)
a scroll of summoning (142 gold)
a scroll of summoning (142 gold)
a scroll of identify (30 gold)
a scroll of paper (1 gold)
a scroll of random uselessness (3 gold)
a scroll of teleportation (45 gold)
a scroll of detect curse (30 gold)
a scroll of identify (30 gold)

Ceceloxk's Magic Scroll Shop
a scroll of remove curse (39 gold)
a scroll of identify (26 gold)
a scroll of remove curse (39 gold)
a scroll of remove curse (39 gold)
a scroll of noise (2 gold)
a scroll of identify (26 gold)
a scroll of identify (26 gold)
a scroll of remove curse (39 gold)

T Qehewuq's Jewellery Shop
a ring of protection from magic (308 gold)
a ring of protection from cold (231 gold)
a ring of fire (477 gold)
a cursed -2 ring of protection (1 gold)
a ring of see invisible (154 gold)
a ring of life protection (462 gold)
a ring of wizardry (269 gold)
an amulet of controlled flight (192 gold)
an amulet of resist mutation (231 gold)
the ring of Efetukiw (361 gold)
This ring provides energy to its wearer, so that they need eat less
often.
It affects your evasion (+4).
the ring of the Mage (562 gold)
This ring increases the ability of its wearer to use magical
spells.
It affects your intelligence (+3).
It protects you from magic.
a +2 ring of dexterity (231 gold)
an amulet of the gourmand (269 gold)
a ring of sustain abilities (192 gold)

Level 8 of the Dungeon
Emynixycolyf's Antique Weapon Shop
a glowing hammer (72 gold)
a sling (36 gold)
a whip (36 gold)
a whip (60 gold)
a dagger (48 gold)
a battleaxe (156 gold)
a transparent great flail (300 gold)
a quarterstaff (45 gold)
a dwarven crossbow (117 gold)
a twisted mace (192 gold)
a glowing quarterstaff (76 gold)
a quarterstaff (76 gold)
a whip (36 gold)

Level 9 of the Dungeon
Lic J Le's Distillery
a potion of restore abilities (70 gold)
a potion of healing (28 gold)
a potion of healing (28 gold)
a potion of cure mutation (210 gold)
2 potions of healing (56 gold)
a potion of berserk rage (42 gold)
a potion of heal wounds (42 gold)

I'm keen on the Ring of the Mage. I haven't even found the entrance of
the Mines so it won't be anytime soon on that one. Keen to do a lot but
I put a limit on how much time I can waste today playing Crawl. Heh, so
now I'm wasting time posting about it. Big saver!

Jeremey, attacking jellies in spider form worked well, so thanks for
that in particular. I'm aiming for the necromantic route for sure
mainly because I've already played with fire. Also, the recent thread
(is that the proper usenetism?) on necromancy got my interest. Not to
mention the unarguable superiority of the letter L. D is pretty bad,
what with the fleshy tumor-like protruberance, but at least it isn't a
filthy detestable beastial bent J, eh? *Shudder* Thank googly there's
no such thing as a Jellomold spell, am I right?

And yeah, I actually get a lot of use out of my junk collection (all
those daggers, spears, and clubs) because I'm big on thrown weapons.
Even so, I turn off throwing right away.

Do enslaved undead eventually free themselves? I imagine they do but
wouldn't it be nice. This is one of those things that would be easy to
test but I keep forgetting when there's a nice weak zombie around. And
how do I get the most out of Kinky? I mostly just went in for the
books.

Erik, I managed to find another book of practical magic, so I'll mess
around with projected noise as often as I think of it. As for what a
high level of Transmigrations is good for, it seems to me that there
are some pretty good high-level spells in that school. Also, I assumed
that higher Tm skills mean longer transformations. Is that correct, do
you know? In any case, I think having a period where it's turned off
isn't a bad idea, I'd say after blade hands becomes reliable, with an
aim at increasing spellcasting, dodging, and fighting. Unarmed rises
quickly enough on its own-- primary close-range attack skills usually
do, IME.

Did you suggest Earth magic for a ranged attack because it's less
likely to be resisted? Seems like Fire would be the way to go seeing as
how evaporate exercises it anyway. I was also thinking crossbows. I
take it the necromancy school doesn't really have an outstanding ranged
attack spell. I'm certainly not planning on lugging around a giant's
skeleton.

I found the answer to the enslaved undead question.

Jeremey

in article 1118281847.593671.325100@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
smartwick@yahoo.com at smartwick@yahoo.com wrote on 6/8/05 9:50 PM:

> First I want to thank the three of you for the help. Regretably, but
> predictably, Renton got waxed. I had a ghost in the red but suddenly I
> couldn't connect for like three freaking rounds and it got in a hit for
> something like 25 hp, which is well more than it had done prior. I was
> standing on the stairs ready to flee. I just pushed it too far. I was
> so mad I deleted the bones files. I didn't care if it's cheating at
> that point-- and still don't, truth be told. In any event, after the
> usual "Never again! I've had it!" period, which lasted maybe an hour, I
> was back at it making SETrs. I haven't found I flavor I enjoy so much
> since the good old MiBes. It takes more to get them going and it takes
> more to keep them alive, but it's a great cross of fighter and spell
> caster. It sure beats casting magic dart or evoking a rod of striking
> 500 times an hour. IMHO, of course.

Have you tried stabby things? I don't think anything keeps my interest as
well as a Spriggan or Halfling assassin/stalker.

> It took a few tries, but I've got another one nearly as well along as
> Rents was. No sources of poison resistance yet, but there's plenty of
> stores. Dig:

(snip much)

> the ring of the Mage (562 gold)
> This ring increases the ability of its wearer to use magical
> spells.
> It affects your intelligence (+3).
> It protects you from magic.

Unless there's special code for it, it's not much better than a
run-of-the-mill ring of wizardry. Wouldn't spend the money on it unless you
need one.

> an amulet of the gourmand (269 gold)

This, OTOH...

> Level 8 of the Dungeon
> Emynixycolyf's Antique Weapon Shop

> a transparent great flail (300 gold)

Going with a Str-based weapon is probably not a good idea for a SE. And I
don't remember how good they are with maces -- my guess is, not very -- but
I'd probably be tempted to buy that. If you're planning on being in
Lichform, you can't fight with Blade Hands, so advancing a weapon skill
wouldn't be a bad idea. You can do fine through the endgame with just
unarmed combat, but sans big-time slaying bonuses, it's not as good as a big
weapon. And only 300 gold...

> Level 9 of the Dungeon

> a potion of cure mutation (210 gold)
>
> I'm keen on the Ring of the Mage. I haven't even found the entrance of
> the Mines so it won't be anytime soon on that one. Keen to do a lot but
> I put a limit on how much time I can waste today playing Crawl. Heh, so
> now I'm wasting time posting about it. Big saver!

It's probably too late for this, but I'd set aside the money for the !of CM,
buy the "oG, assuming you don't already have one, and consider investing in
the great flail. The Ring of the Mage don't get until you know you need it
-- it could be useful for casting Necromutation or other high-level spells
-- but the odds are you'll find plenty of rings of wizardry, which will be
nearly as good.

> Jeremey, attacking jellies in spider form worked well, so thanks for
> that in particular. I'm aiming for the necromantic route for sure
> mainly because I've already played with fire. Also, the recent thread
> (is that the proper usenetism?) on necromancy got my interest. Not to
> mention the unarguable superiority of the letter L. D is pretty bad,
> what with the fleshy tumor-like protruberance, but at least it isn't a
> filthy detestable beastial bent J, eh? *Shudder* Thank googly there's
> no such thing as a Jellomold spell, am I right?
>
> And yeah, I actually get a lot of use out of my junk collection (all
> those daggers, spears, and clubs) because I'm big on thrown weapons.
> Even so, I turn off throwing right away.

Does that work well? I've never really tried it, except for casting the
Hillbilly Sting (throwing poisoned needles).

> Do enslaved undead eventually free themselves? I imagine they do but
> wouldn't it be nice. This is one of those things that would be easy to
> test but I keep forgetting when there's a nice weak zombie around. And
> how do I get the most out of Kinky? I mostly just went in for the
> books.

The books are the best reason to go in for it -- it'll take a long time to
pick up Necro books otherwise. But the protection from Death-miscasts is
fantastic. I don't know if you've ever tried the Tomb, but it's got a
probably-deserved reputation as the nastiest place in the game. Kikky
protects you from the Mummy death-curses (except the item-cursing of regular
mummies). It's difficult to overstate how much easier that makes doing the
Tomb. With Silence, the most dangerous thing there's probably Zot traps.
He helps to a lesser extent in Hell.

Brent says permanently enslaving a Lich is impossible. I think if you could
manage to get one cornered in such away that you could have enough tries at
it, though, landing one would be awesomely sweet. Unless it's literally
impossible rather than just practically so, in which case that isn't so
good.

> around with projected noise as often as I think of it. As for what a
> high level of Transmigrations is good for, it seems to me that there
> are some pretty good high-level spells in that school. Also, I assumed
> that higher Tm skills mean longer transformations. Is that correct, do
> you know? In any case, I think having a period where it's turned off
> isn't a bad idea, I'd say after blade hands becomes reliable, with an
> aim at increasing spellcasting, dodging, and fighting. Unarmed rises
> quickly enough on its own-- primary close-range attack skills usually
> do, IME.
>
> Did you suggest Earth magic for a ranged attack because it's less
> likely to be resisted? Seems like Fire would be the way to go seeing as
> how evaporate exercises it anyway. I was also thinking crossbows. I
> take it the necromancy school doesn't really have an outstanding ranged
> attack spell. I'm certainly not planning on lugging around a giant's
> skeleton.

Necro has Bolt of Draining, which doesn't work on a lot of powerful things,
Agony (ditto and resistable), and bone shards, which means hauling around a
giant's skeleton. If you're a fighter though, bogging yourself down with
ranged attacks is dumb. You could pick up some Earth magic from Tranny
spells anyway, I guess (Dig is good and worth memorizing), but picking up
Conjurations -- that way skill-dilution lies. You'd be better off learing
Translocations for Controlled Blinking or some just enough enchantments and
air to pick up Swiftness so you can close for melee quickly, rather than
getting into shootouts.

--
Jeremey

Jeremey wrote:
> in article 1118281847.593671.325100@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> smartwick@yahoo.com at smartwick@yahoo.com wrote on 6/8/05 9:50 PM:

>>And yeah, I actually get a lot of use out of my junk collection (all
>>those daggers, spears, and clubs) because I'm big on thrown weapons.
>>Even so, I turn off throwing right away.
>
> Does that work well? I've never really tried it, except for casting the
> Hillbilly Sting (throwing poisoned needles).

:))

/me imagines a Sludge Elf with a sunburned neck, a big straw hat, a
rusty pickup, a crossbow of flaming, and a big pile of poisoned
needles... YEE HAW!

Erik

Jeremey Wilson wrote:
> I don't think anyone's ever cast Shatter

I have. It's an earthshattering anticlimax. Don't bother.