Guild release

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hello,

Announcing the first major release of Guild.

The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
"shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
directly controlling one of them.

I released a demo version of Guild last year, but this version is much
bigger and better. It's a complete playable game, featuring:

- 30 different kinds of monsters
- about 50 spells
- nearly 200 types of objects
- four quests (one easy, three hard)
- several randomised dungeons
- a town level where you can shop, recruit new characters, and talk to
NPCs
- a house level where you can store your stuff and 'hang out' :)
- character advancement as far as 5th level

You can get Windows binaries at guildgame.com. Source code and/or a
Linux version may follow in the next few weeks.

Enjoy,

Antoine

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

First, very cool game.

Second, I think you have two commands assigned to the letter 'I'
(capital i).

Third, a question. Can you sell stuff or do you just have to drop it
somewhere?

Fourth, a suggestion. There should be a way to get the whole party to
leave an area when the leader does. (It gets a little annoying having
to walk each of them out and then switch characters.)

And finally, very cool game. :)

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

ArchMageOmega wrote:
> First, very cool game.

Thank you!

> Second, I think you have two commands assigned to the letter 'I'
> (capital i).

Oops. I used to use it as a debug command for identifying objects. This
has been superseded, it is now used to look at an NPC's inventory. Will
fix the '?' help menu on next release.

> Third, a question. Can you sell stuff or do you just have to drop it
> somewhere?

Put it in your house. If you don't need it any more, stuff it in a
cupboard or just don't pick it up in the first place. Only a few items,
such as silver rings or antique coins, can actually be sold (show them
to someone in town, who will make an offer).

> Fourth, a suggestion. There should be a way to get the whole party to
> leave an area when the leader does. (It gets a little annoying having
> to walk each of them out and then switch characters.)

Use the 'D' or 'U' order to tell your NPCs to leave the area. Wait
while they all leave the level, then leave yourself. (Can be quite
handy as they remember where the stairs are even if you've forgotten,
so you can just follow them...)

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

ABCGi wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> > ArchMageOmega wrote:
> >
> >>First, very cool game.
> >

> > Thank you!
> >

> >>Second, I think you have two commands assigned to the letter 'I'
> >>(capital i).
> >

> > Oops. I used to use it as a debug command for identifying objects. This
> > has been superseded, it is now used to look at an NPC's inventory. Will
> > fix the '?' help menu on next release.
> >

> >>Third, a question. Can you sell stuff or do you just have to drop it
> >>somewhere?
> >

> > Put it in your house. If you don't need it any more, stuff it in a
> > cupboard or just don't pick it up in the first place. Only a few items,
> > such as silver rings or antique coins, can actually be sold (show them
> > to someone in town, who will make an offer).
> >

> >>Fourth, a suggestion. There should be a way to get the whole party to
> >>leave an area when the leader does. (It gets a little annoying having
> >>to walk each of them out and then switch characters.)
> >

> > Use the 'D' or 'U' order to tell your NPCs to leave the area. Wait
> > while they all leave the level, then leave yourself. (Can be quite
> > handy as they remember where the stairs are even if you've forgotten,
> > so you can just follow them...)
> >
> > A.
>
> I kicked myself and all members out of my party! Then fooled
> around for a bit with no members till I made it crash :)

Good spot
will fix

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Very cool game

Only one thing... since this isn't using true text mode (so I can't run
it in text mode full screen), can someone point me toward a fixed-with
font that is about 16x16? (or possibly a bit larger) All the fonts that
aren't the very smallest ones are not-even-remotely-square. And I really
like my roguelikes to *look* like it's as far from X--->X as it is from

, so can anybody help? (I know I can use "increase tile with", but this
leaves to me unpleasing gaps in walls that look as they should be
squeeze-through-able.

Antoine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Announcing the first major release of Guild.
>
> The main gimmick in Guild is that, instead of playing a solo
> adventurer, you control an entire group. At any given time you have
> direct control of one of the characters; the rest will follow you and
> make themselves useful (attack nearby monsters, heal wounded party
> members...) You can give the other characters orders ("follow me!"
> "shoot that goblin!" "run for your life!"), or you can switch to
> directly controlling one of them.
>
> I released a demo version of Guild last year, but this version is much
> bigger and better. It's a complete playable game, featuring:
>
> - 30 different kinds of monsters
> - about 50 spells
> - nearly 200 types of objects
> - four quests (one easy, three hard)
> - several randomised dungeons
> - a town level where you can shop, recruit new characters, and talk to
> NPCs
> - a house level where you can store your stuff and 'hang out' :)
> - character advancement as far as 5th level
>
> You can get Windows binaries at guildgame.com. Source code and/or a
> Linux version may follow in the next few weeks.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Antoine

http://guildgame.com/

Awesome!

Been waiting for this, now where are the belated releases of;

* Dweller mobile
* The Tombs

And while we're at lets have those bugs fixed in DoomRL too!!!

Oh and another H-World release *cough* *choke*

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Legendary feedback

> * g - get, then g again to get everything including all coins.
> * when picking up and press 'd' for 8 arrows, pressing d again
> will grab all (rather than just ENTER grabs all, also SPACE should
> grab all).

yes

> * 1,2,3,4 should switch between characters (but numpad/numlock issue).
> Or TAB to toggle through members.

1234 might be a problem with keys. Perhaps go with tab instead

> * an overlap key mapping window which intelligently places itself
> out of the way, can be toggled off and is scrollable (nice to have).

er! might be too much work. can you suggest a simpler keymapping
solution?

> * w - wield, should be wield/wear as wielding a cloak meaning wearing
> it makes no sense (or W for wear)... or ...
> * u - use, if no special use try for equipping rather than say no
> special use. I should be able to use a tunic and wear it for example?

yep

> * a rest till healed/rest till magicked up is needed. HP and MP do not
> recover through waiting? Intended?

Intended, forces different playstyle.

> * q - quit wielding is not a good key choice IMO.

What do you suggest instead?

> * Space to do same as ENTER?
> * 'I' and inspecting your own inventory should say "You are carrying "
> not "They are carrying "
> * Using '/' to look around and pressing space moves the cursor to
> top left till press another key?
> * Would prefer '@' brought up party stats rather than 'P', or an
> individuals "card" (stats, plus equipment, plus inventory or
> something detailed like that).

yes

> * Turn off all cheats!

oops!

> Other comments;
> * "O G" artifact on start up screens.

yes

> * Lots of work to get into each game, a quick start or some
> streamlining/

Might add a quickstart, will think about it

> * An ADoM style equip screen where I can press the letter of
> each slot and pick an item for it.

perhaps - a bit more work

> * Strange text based start "town" - different, very IF, have
> not decided if I like it.

"IF"?

Could replace it with a town map

> * Distro should not be install.zip, it should include ver no
> and product name.
> * When first person enters stairs option should come up - all
> leave? - rather than forcing the individual leaving

yes

> * Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
> effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc.

might be a bit cramped?

> * Examination screen should toggle msg area at bottom as you
> flip through items rather than goto blank screen for each
> description.

yes

> * Be able to name other party members, or randomise their names.
> Perhaps based on their random starting rolls - so you roll a
> certain combo the rogue is always named "Doobie" which reminds
> you it is a very weak character who is very fast or "Conan"
> would be a warrior is very Strong but dumb. Names would have to
> be recognisable/mythical whatever...

perhaps I'll allow renaming

> * x2 when the same msg is displayed twice in two turns so you
> can tell for sure you are still being hit
> "A crude spear hits you. x2" - or change colour or something.

yes

> * Not being able to fire over others limits group work, should
> just add risk of friendly fire? Or maybe its more tactical this
> way... game play balance issue... but seems wrong to just say
> you can't do it.

a different message here perhaps?

> * Brighter light (white) for what active character sees than
> group vision?

interesting idea

> * Current depth should be on main screen.
> * Restart game rather than quit out on death.
> * High score table.

yes

how are you doing with sneaking? getting much value out of it?
Have you (has anyone) reached the first quest yet? (not including the
farmer's cellar)

many thanks
A.

Antoine wrote:

> ABCGi wrote:
*NSIP*
>>I kicked myself and all members out of my party! Then fooled
>>around for a bit with no members till I made it crash :)
>
> Good spot
> will fix

Quick Guild Report (Win XP)
------------------

Great game, lets awesome I've said lots of pleasent things and move
onto the suggestions list! These are just my ideas so feel free to
ignore those you don't like.

Some keyboard interface comments;
* g - get, then g again to get everything including all coins.
* when picking up and press 'd' for 8 arrows, pressing d again
will grab all (rather than just ENTER grabs all, also SPACE should
grab all).
* 1,2,3,4 should switch between characters (but numpad/numlock issue).
Or TAB to toggle through members.
* an overlap key mapping window which intelligently places itself
out of the way, can be toggled off and is scrollable (nice to have).
* w - wield, should be wield/wear as wielding a cloak meaning wearing
it makes no sense (or W for wear)... or ...
* u - use, if no special use try for equipping rather than say no
special use. I should be able to use a tunic and wear it for example?
Maybe not.
* a rest till healed/rest till magicked up is needed. HP and MP do not
recover through waiting? Intended?
* q - quit wielding is not a good key choice IMO.
* Some good convenient keys exist, more work needed on the others.
* Space to do same as ENTER?
* 'I' and inspecting your own inventory should say "You are carrying "
not "They are carrying "
* Using '/' to look around and pressing space moves the cursor to
top left till press another key?
* Would prefer '@' brought up party stats rather than 'P', or an
individuals "card" (stats, plus equipment, plus inventory or
something detailed like that). Currently does map cheat.
* Turn off all cheats!

Other comments;
* "O G" artifact on start up screens.
* Lots of work to get into each game, a quick start or some
streamlining/
* An ADoM style equip screen where I can press the letter of
each slot and pick an item for it.
* Strange text based start "town" - different, very IF, have
not decided if I like it. One thing an "overmap" does is give
world a feeling of breadth.
* Distro should not be install.zip, it should include ver no
and product name.
* A single keyset.txt that I can have open in another window (I
like that the keyset comes up straight after ?)
* When first person enters stairs option should come up - all
leave? - rather than forcing the individual leaving (annoying
and it is not obvious the keys you mentioned earlier). Capital
'Y' could mean all leave.
* Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc. Or at
least a msg about what changed "Willow equips the orc shield
and his blahblah goes from blate to blagh".
[...]
* Assume everyone camps when using stairs? Or just down stairs
for first time...
* Brighter light (white) for what active character sees than
group vision?
* Current depth should be on main screen.
* Restart game rather than quit out on death.
* High score table.

LIMPING condition is cool. Sneaking is cool. Stepping is
interesting. Auto melee/missile switching is cool (having a
missile and melee slot is very important to me). The light
issue is interesting. The AI is interesting.

Thanks - that's it for this quick look. Will msg if anything
big comes up.

--

Antoine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Announcing the first major release of Guild.

<snip>
> I released a demo version of Guild last year, but this version is much
> bigger and better. It's a complete playable game, featuring:

<snip>

I played the demo, and enjoyed it *immensely*. My stomach dropped to
my toes when I read a full version was released!

Can't wait to play! :))

"Elethiomel" wrote:

> Very cool game
>
> Only one thing... since this isn't using true text
> mode (so I can't run it in text mode full screen),
> can someone point me toward a fixed-with font that
> is about 16x16? (or possibly a bit larger) All the
> fonts that aren't the very smallest ones are not-
> even-remotely-square. And I really like my
> roguelikes to *look* like it's as far from X--->X
> as it is from

> , so can anybody help? (I know I can use "increase
> tile with", but this leaves to me unpleasing gaps
> in walls that look as they should be squeeze-
> through-able.

Hrm. Coincidentally enough, I'm currently creating
a 16x16 character/tile set that uses slightly modified
characters from the code page 437 and code page 1252
sets: http://beacon.chebucto.info/Back/A9908/power7.htm

The alphanumeric chars and miscellaneous symbols are
mostly unchanged, except for being horizontally
centered, and the line drawing etc. symbols have been
modified to make use of the entire 16 pixels of width.

From the above mentioned example:
http://lurk.basscat.net/test.jpg

Can the font be a bitmap font?

crichmon

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Nolithius wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> I've got some additional keyboard command suggestions:

[snip]

Thanks for the suggestions, will probably rejig the interface in about
a week or whenever I get time.

Natch on the selling stuff in town though :) I want people to pick up
only the equipment they might want, not to carry every junk they can
find in the hope of screwing a handful of gold out of the shopkeeper...

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Elethiomel wrote:
> crichmon wrote:
> > "Elethiomel" wrote:
> >

> >>Very cool game
> >>
> >>Only one thing... since this isn't using true text
> >>mode (so I can't run it in text mode full screen),
> >>can someone point me toward a fixed-with font that
> >>is about 16x16? (or possibly a bit larger) All the
> >>fonts that aren't the very smallest ones are not-
> >>even-remotely-square. And I really like my
> >>roguelikes to *look* like it's as far from X--->X
> >>as it is from

> >>, so can anybody help? (I know I can use "increase
> >>tile with", but this leaves to me unpleasing gaps
> >>in walls that look as they should be squeeze-
> >>through-able.
> >

> > Hrm. Coincidentally enough, I'm currently creating
> > a 16x16 character/tile set that uses slightly modified
> > characters from the code page 437 and code page 1252
> > sets: http://beacon.chebucto.info/Back/A9908/power7.htm
>
> What a pleasant coincidence. :)
>
> > The alphanumeric chars and miscellaneous symbols are
> > mostly unchanged, except for being horizontally
> > centered, and the line drawing etc. symbols have been
> > modified to make use of the entire 16 pixels of width.
>
> For many roguelikes, # is used to denote walls - this also needs to fill
> most of the 16x16 area and be square, if that's your intended use for
> the font.
>
> > From the above mentioned example:
> > http://lurk.basscat.net/test.jpg
>
> Very nice!
>
> > Can the font be a bitmap font?
>
> I honestly know very little about fonts. All the types of fonts I can
> choose between for Guild have the extension .fon, and are fixed-with
> fonts that look like they came with the Guild distribution (they're in a
> "lib" subdirectory). Are these bitmap fonts? I have no idea, sorry. Antoine?

I'm honestly not sure about it myself. The entire font system in Guild
is cribbed straight from Vanilla Angband 3.something. I never tried
messing around with it.

If you can make an Angband-compatible font and stick it in the
'lib/fonts' subdirectory you should be fine - let me know how you get
on.

A.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

"ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]

I've got some additional keyboard command suggestions:

> Some keyboard interface comments;
> * g - get, then g again to get everything including all coins.

If there's only 1 item on the floor, it should automatically pick that item
up without going to the screen.

> * when picking up and press 'd' for 8 arrows, pressing d again
> will grab all (rather than just ENTER grabs all, also SPACE should
> grab all).
[...]
> * Space to do same as ENTER?

Space should also be a confirm command.

In addition, if it is gold you are picking up, you should assume you want to
pick up all of the gold without prompting the player. As an addition to the
previous comment, if you are picking up only one stack of items, you should
prompt in the message buffer rather than in its own screen.

> * 1,2,3,4 should switch between characters (but numpad/numlock issue).
> Or TAB to toggle through members.

Definitely agree with TAB to toggle chars. You can also use CTRL + number to
select that char. My main suggestion throughout is to give quickly
accessible keys to commands the player will be using often. As an addendum
to this, in many strategy games or group-based RPGs, '=' selects all-- you
should have this in addition to '*' in prompts, or instead of it. Also,
Enter/Space should not cancel the select command, but act as a default
/select all/.

In spirit of keeping the commonly used commands quickly accessible, you
should use lower case 'o' for Order instead of upper case, or have both.

> * an overlap key mapping window which intelligently places itself
> out of the way, can be toggled off and is scrollable (nice to have).

Too much work ;)

> * w - wield, should be wield/wear as wielding a cloak meaning wearing
> it makes no sense (or W for wear)... or ...

Keep w for universal wield/wear, but just change the message returned to the
user (minor amount of work ;). Leave the universal key rather than adding W
for wear and making w for wield-- if anything just have 'w' and 'W' do the
same thing.

> * u - use, if no special use try for equipping rather than say no
> special use. I should be able to use a tunic and wear it for example?
> Maybe not.

This automatically nullifies your options of giving special abilities you
can /use/ to items that can also be worn.

> * a rest till healed/rest till magicked up is needed. HP and MP do not
> recover through waiting? Intended?

Although it bugs me that HP/MP do not recover, I see how it adds a different
playing style :p

> * q - quit wielding is not a good key choice IMO.

Make it 'r' for "remove".

> * Some good convenient keys exist, more work needed on the others.
> * 'I' and inspecting your own inventory should say "You are carrying "
> not "They are carrying "

Agreed.

> * Using '/' to look around and pressing space moves the cursor to
> top left till press another key?

This is a pretty unintuitive choice for this command, why not the accepted
standards of 'x' or 'l'?

Agreed. '@' actually crashes my game :p

> * Turn off all cheats!

??

> Other comments;
> * "O G" artifact on start up screens.

I don't really know what this means-- but what does happen to me is that if
you move the game to another directory the display will get screwed up!

> * Lots of work to get into each game, a quick start or some
> streamlining/

Actually, it's pretty quick and intuitive to get it started, I have no
problems with it.

> * An ADoM style equip screen where I can press the letter of
> each slot and pick an item for it.

This is good but it's a luxury rather than a necessity ;)

> * Strange text based start "town" - different, very IF, have
> not decided if I like it. One thing an "overmap" does is give
> world a feeling of breadth.

I'm guessing IF stands for some game. I'd actually like the town to be in
traditional RL format rather than text-based, but I got used to it.

One comment: I guess your town selection code automatically uses letters as
numerators, but at least for the "Switch to another character command" menu
you should use numbers (so it plays the same way as the rest of the game).

> * Distro should not be install.zip, it should include ver no
> and product name.
> * A single keyset.txt that I can have open in another window (I
> like that the keyset comes up straight after ?)

Agreed.

> * When first person enters stairs option should come up - all
> leave? - rather than forcing the individual leaving (annoying
> and it is not obvious the keys you mentioned earlier). Capital
> 'Y' could mean all leave.

This is a must, would make it much better. There are some design issues with
this, however: 1) All it takes to be home free under this design is that ONE
character reaches the stairs. 2) If you try to solve this and have the
characters try to make their way towards the stairs as if ordered, there's
also another issue: reassigning the leader (you shouldn't force-move the
leader!).

> * Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
> effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc. Or at
> least a msg about what changed "Willow equips the orc shield
> and his blahblah goes from blate to blagh".

Yes, I second the notion of displaying it in the main armor.

> * Examination screen should toggle msg area at bottom as you
> flip through items rather than goto blank screen for each
> description.

Agreed.

> * Be able to name other party members, or randomise their names.
> Perhaps based on their random starting rolls - so you roll a
> certain combo the rogue is always named "Doobie" which reminds
> you it is a very weak character who is very fast or "Conan"
> would be a warrior is very Strong but dumb. Names would have to
> be recognisable/mythical whatever...

I agree with all this. But if you want to make the randomization easy for
you, just pick from a small array of preset names. It's very easy to
program, and a little randomization goes a long way ;).

> * x2 when the same msg is displayed twice in two turns so you
> can tell for sure you are still being hit
> "A crude spear hits you. x2" - or change colour or something.

Agree with the x2 idea.

> * Not being able to fire over others limits group work, should
> just add risk of friendly fire? Or maybe its more tactical this
> way... game play balance issue... but seems wrong to just say
> you can't do it.

I think you should be able to shoot over friendlies. MAYBE have a critical
miss scenario where you can hit a friendly.

> * Assume everyone camps when using stairs? Or just down stairs
> for first time...

Huh?

> * Brighter light (white) for what active character sees than
> group vision?

Could work, but not required.

> * Current depth should be on main screen.
> * Restart game rather than quit out on death.
> * High score table.

Yes, yes, yes.

> LIMPING condition is cool. Sneaking is cool. Stepping is
> interesting. Auto melee/missile switching is cool (having a
> missile and melee slot is very important to me). The light
> issue is interesting. The AI is interesting.

Agreed.

Overall an excellent game. It's very important, though, for you to make the
often-used commands quickly accessible, as described above. Also:

Please, please, PLEASE allow me to sell the junk I pick up! Selling junk is
a staple of RLs, nay, RPGs. Also, since you make the choice to not allow
automatic HP/MP regeneration, gold is actually useful/needed to buy potions.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

--Nolithius

Nolithius wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>

> > Other comments;
> > * "O G" artifact on start up screens.
>
> I don't really know what this means-- but what does happen to me is that if
> you move the game to another directory the display will get screwed up!

This is very likely a result of copying the Windows font code from
Angband - this font leaking bug has been present for years. A reboot
will always fix it.

crichmon wrote:
> "Elethiomel" wrote:
>

>>Very cool game
>>
>>Only one thing... since this isn't using true text
>>mode (so I can't run it in text mode full screen),
>>can someone point me toward a fixed-with font that
>>is about 16x16? (or possibly a bit larger) All the
>>fonts that aren't the very smallest ones are not-
>>even-remotely-square. And I really like my
>>roguelikes to *look* like it's as far from X--->X
>>as it is from

>>, so can anybody help? (I know I can use "increase
>>tile with", but this leaves to me unpleasing gaps
>>in walls that look as they should be squeeze-
>>through-able.
>

> Hrm. Coincidentally enough, I'm currently creating
> a 16x16 character/tile set that uses slightly modified
> characters from the code page 437 and code page 1252
> sets: http://beacon.chebucto.info/Back/A9908/power7.htm

What a pleasant coincidence. :)

> The alphanumeric chars and miscellaneous symbols are
> mostly unchanged, except for being horizontally
> centered, and the line drawing etc. symbols have been
> modified to make use of the entire 16 pixels of width.

For many roguelikes, # is used to denote walls - this also needs to fill
most of the 16x16 area and be square, if that's your intended use for
the font.

> From the above mentioned example:
> http://lurk.basscat.net/test.jpg

Very nice!

> Can the font be a bitmap font?

I honestly know very little about fonts. All the types of fonts I can
choose between for Guild have the extension .fon, and are fixed-with
fonts that look like they came with the Guild distribution (they're in a
"lib" subdirectory). Are these bitmap fonts? I have no idea, sorry. Antoine?

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> >>* a rest till healed/rest till magicked up is needed. HP and MP do not
> >>recover through waiting? Intended?
> >
> > Intended, forces different playstyle.
>
> Does healing/magic up come back at town? It is not obvious
> to the new player how to recover.

Yes, everything regenerates in town. I'll put in a message that makes
this clear... not quite sure where though.

You also regain about 20% of MP every time you go down to a level that
you haven't been down before in a particular dungeon trip. And there
are fountains for restoring HP. And cure wounds spells and healing/mana
potions.

> >>* Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
> >>effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc.
> >
> > might be a bit cramped?
>
> Some single score indicating my cumulative defence...
> just so I can see at a glance who is more exposed?

Perhaps highlight (HP in red, or their number on the map in red?) any
character who is conscious but in a bad way (combination of low hp and
poor armor and/or any debilitating conditions like LIMPING).

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> >>* Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
> >>effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc. Or at
> >>least a msg about what changed "Willow equips the orc shield
> >>and his blahblah goes from blate to blagh".
> >

> > Yes, I second the notion of displaying it in the main armor.
>
> I don't see any stats change when I wear a shield?

The Dodge (or is it called Evasion?) stat on the 'P' screen should
improve if you wear a shield or cloak. Have you found a case where it
doesn't?

A.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Nice game Antoine! I am really enjoying it.

I have two bugs to report.

1) I was adventuring down in the cave next to town, and had told my
mage to hang back and keep out of trouble ("B"). We encountered an
orc, and instead of staying where he was (which was out of harms way)
he decided to blink away. Now blinking away is not all bad I guess,
although overkill since the mage was in no danger. Unfotunately he
must have blinked off screen or off the map, because the game crashed.
I briefly saw a "2" symbol (he is my 2nd char) way off to the right of
the screen. My guess is he blinked to an invalid location. This
happend to me twice tonight.

2) On a number of games, I will venture into the dungeon for a few day.
After this I will visit the tavern, and buy a drink. The tavern owner
will inform me that I was too slow in freeing the Farmers cellar from
Rats, and that he gave the quest to some travelling adventureres. This
is odd in that I never knew (in that game) that the farmer wanted his
cellar cleared. Additinally I have had the dialog with the farmer
telling me 5-7 times I can't be strong enough to do the quest even
after the quest is complete (by the other adventurers).

I need to write down some of my own thoughts on improvements, as I
don't remember them now, but I can think of one. In the dungeon or in
your home you select characters by number. In town however you use
letters. Seems you should use numbers in town as well for
consistancy...minor nitpick. More to come...

Again, I am really enjoying this. I will say however, the last three
games I have played, I have made my main character, transfered over
goodies from my others, and then dismissed the computer generated ones.
I usually get my main char up to level 3, while keeping an eye on the
tavern for recruits that have better stats/levels. I have done this
with a warrior, a priest, and a mage. Starting to find some
interesting items on level 3 and 4. Dusty Tomes...new potions...and
some magic weapons.

I havn't found any quests other than the farmer one, but I have spoken
with the Elven Character. Can't wait to find more.

BBQ

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

[...]
> You also regain about 20% of MP every time you go down to a level that
> you haven't been down before in a particular dungeon trip. And there
> are fountains for restoring HP. And cure wounds spells and healing/mana
> potions.
[...]

Don't fountains restore MP as well? ;)

--Nolithius

Antoine wrote:

> Announcing the first major release of Guild.

I'm still making my mind up on how much I like this game, but I think I
like it.

I like the fact that you can't sell most stuff. Collecting junk isn't
fun, but if you can sell it, you need to do it to play near-optimally.
And honestly, it doesn't make sense to sell stuff most of the time.

I like the fact that you don't heal naturally. It makes sense; without
magic you really aren't going to heal meaningfully. And it keeps the
game focused and moving. I enjoy the temptation to go just a little
farther balanced against wanting to go back to heal and play it safe.
Also, I like that this allows you to create levels that don't have
monsters around every turn. I think the manual makes it quite clear
that you need to leave the dungeon to heal, btw.

I like the light system. The one thing I don't get is how high
perception lets you see in the dark. My rogue has 13 perception. Does
it need to be over 13, rather than 13 or higher? It doesn't seem to
let me see anything that I can tell, even when I control the rogue.

I find the controls are taking a bit to get used to. You use very
different keys than tradition dictates. But the keyset is small, and I
imagine it won't take long to get used to.

The biggest thing that annoys me deals with commands. You don't seem
to be able to give the party any commands going into the dungeon. It's
especially a problem for the don't use certain spells command. I once
entered the dungeon, saw some orcs, and my wizard burned half his mana
on prestidigitation. I could have told him not to mid-fight, but I
rather not spend the turn to do that, and really shouldn't have to. I
think at least a few of the commands should stay remembered.

Nolithius wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
*SNIP*
>>* u - use, if no special use try for equipping rather than say no
>>special use. I should be able to use a tunic and wear it for example?
>>Maybe not.
>
> This automatically nullifies your options of giving special abilities you
> can /use/ to items that can also be worn.

No it doesn't ("if no special use"). Liked your other comments.

>>* a rest till healed/rest till magicked up is needed. HP and MP do not
>>recover through waiting? Intended?
>
> Although it bugs me that HP/MP do not recover, I see how it adds a different
> playing style :p

How do you get your points back??? Go back to town?

*SNIP*

>>* Lots of work to get into each game, a quick start or some
>>streamlining/
>

> Actually, it's pretty quick and intuitive to get it started, I have no
> problems with it.

Its a lot of screens before you start playing.

>>* An ADoM style equip screen where I can press the letter of
>>each slot and pick an item for it.
>

> This is good but it's a luxury rather than a necessity ;)
>

>>* Strange text based start "town" - different, very IF, have
>>not decided if I like it. One thing an "overmap" does is give
>>world a feeling of breadth.
>

> I'm guessing IF stands for some game. I'd actually like the town to be in
> traditional RL format rather than text-based, but I got used to it.

Interactive Fiction - very Zork!

> One comment: I guess your town selection code automatically uses letters as
> numerators, but at least for the "Switch to another character command" menu
> you should use numbers (so it plays the same way as the rest of the game).
>

>>* Distro should not be install.zip, it should include ver no
>>and product name.
>>* A single keyset.txt that I can have open in another window (I
>>like that the keyset comes up straight after ?)
>

> Agreed.
>

>>* When first person enters stairs option should come up - all
>>leave? - rather than forcing the individual leaving (annoying
>>and it is not obvious the keys you mentioned earlier). Capital
>>'Y' could mean all leave.
>
> This is a must, would make it much better. There are some design issues with
> this, however: 1) All it takes to be home free under this design is that ONE
> character reaches the stairs. 2) If you try to solve this and have the
> characters try to make their way towards the stairs as if ordered, there's
> also another issue: reassigning the leader (you shouldn't force-move the
> leader!).

Yeah something other than current certainly!

>>* Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
>>effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc. Or at
>>least a msg about what changed "Willow equips the orc shield
>>and his blahblah goes from blate to blagh".
>

> Yes, I second the notion of displaying it in the main armor.

I don't see any stats change when I wear a shield?

>>* Examination screen should toggle msg area at bottom as you
>>flip through items rather than goto blank screen for each
>>description.
>

> Agreed.
>

>>* Be able to name other party members, or randomise their names.
>>Perhaps based on their random starting rolls - so you roll a
>>certain combo the rogue is always named "Doobie" which reminds
>>you it is a very weak character who is very fast or "Conan"
>>would be a warrior is very Strong but dumb. Names would have to
>>be recognisable/mythical whatever...
>

> I agree with all this. But if you want to make the randomization easy for
> you, just pick from a small array of preset names. It's very easy to
> program, and a little randomization goes a long way ;).
>

>>* x2 when the same msg is displayed twice in two turns so you
>>can tell for sure you are still being hit
>>"A crude spear hits you. x2" - or change colour or something.
>

> Agree with the x2 idea.
>

>>* Not being able to fire over others limits group work, should
>>just add risk of friendly fire? Or maybe its more tactical this
>>way... game play balance issue... but seems wrong to just say
>>you can't do it.
>

> I think you should be able to shoot over friendlies. MAYBE have a critical
> miss scenario where you can hit a friendly.
>

>>* Assume everyone camps when using stairs? Or just down stairs
>>for first time...
>

> Huh?

Something for healing/MP.

>>* Brighter light (white) for what active character sees than
>>group vision?
>

> Could work, but not required.
>

>>* Current depth should be on main screen.
>>* Restart game rather than quit out on death.
>>* High score table.
>

> Yes, yes, yes.
>

>>LIMPING condition is cool. Sneaking is cool. Stepping is
>>interesting. Auto melee/missile switching is cool (having a
>>missile and melee slot is very important to me). The light
>>issue is interesting. The AI is interesting.
>

> Agreed.
>
> Overall an excellent game. It's very important, though, for you to make the
> often-used commands quickly accessible, as described above. Also:
>
> Please, please, PLEASE allow me to sell the junk I pick up! Selling junk is
> a staple of RLs, nay, RPGs. Also, since you make the choice to not allow
> automatic HP/MP regeneration, gold is actually useful/needed to buy potions.

Or in dungeon siege a spell that just converts junk to a few gold
pieces!

--

Antoine wrote:
> Legendary feedback
>
>>* g - get, then g again to get everything including all coins.
>>* when picking up and press 'd' for 8 arrows, pressing d again
>>will grab all (rather than just ENTER grabs all, also SPACE should
>>grab all).
>
> yes
>
>>* 1,2,3,4 should switch between characters (but numpad/numlock issue).
>>Or TAB to toggle through members.
>
> 1234 might be a problem with keys. Perhaps go with tab instead

Nice.

>>* an overlap key mapping window which intelligently places itself
>>out of the way, can be toggled off and is scrollable (nice to have).
>
> er! might be too much work. can you suggest a simpler keymapping
> solution?

Exactly what I would of said too :) Just a text file with the key
maps would help.

>>* w - wield, should be wield/wear as wielding a cloak meaning wearing
>>it makes no sense (or W for wear)... or ...
>>* u - use, if no special use try for equipping rather than say no
>>special use. I should be able to use a tunic and wear it for example?
>
> yep
>
>>* a rest till healed/rest till magicked up is needed. HP and MP do not
>>recover through waiting? Intended?
>
> Intended, forces different playstyle.

Does healing/magic up come back at town? It is not obvious
to the new player how to recover.

>>* q - quit wielding is not a good key choice IMO.
>
> What do you suggest instead?

r - remove. "-" for bare hands. equip screen can wield/unwield.

>>* Space to do same as ENTER?
>>* 'I' and inspecting your own inventory should say "You are carrying "
>>not "They are carrying "
>>* Using '/' to look around and pressing space moves the cursor to
>>top left till press another key?
>>* Would prefer '@' brought up party stats rather than 'P', or an
>>individuals "card" (stats, plus equipment, plus inventory or
>>something detailed like that).
>
> yes
>
>>* Turn off all cheats!
>
> oops!
>
>>Other comments;
>>* "O G" artifact on start up screens.
>
> yes
>
>>* Lots of work to get into each game, a quick start or some
>>streamlining/
>
> Might add a quickstart, will think about it

There are quite a few screens - the blank screen with just
"Welcome to Guild" is probably not necessary.

>>* An ADoM style equip screen where I can press the letter of
>>each slot and pick an item for it.
>
> perhaps - a bit more work

Yeah its only a nice to have.

>>* Strange text based start "town" - different, very IF, have
>>not decided if I like it.
>
> "IF"?

Interactive Ficiton - very Zork.

> Could replace it with a town map

Maybe it is nice to be different? Reminds me of AD&D gold.

>>* Distro should not be install.zip, it should include ver no
>>and product name.
>>* When first person enters stairs option should come up - all
>>leave? - rather than forcing the individual leaving
>
> yes
>
>>* Display AC/damage or something on main screen so I can see
>>effect of changing armour, or equipping new weapon etc.
>
> might be a bit cramped?

Some single score indicating my cumulative defence...
just so I can see at a glance who is more exposed?

>>* Examination screen should toggle msg area at bottom as you
>>flip through items rather than goto blank screen for each
>>description.
>
> yes
>
>>* Be able to name other party members, or randomise their names.
>>Perhaps based on their random starting rolls - so you roll a
>>certain combo the rogue is always named "Doobie" which reminds
>>you it is a very weak character who is very fast or "Conan"
>>would be a warrior is very Strong but dumb. Names would have to
>>be recognisable/mythical whatever...
>
> perhaps I'll allow renaming

Goodo. Yeah the other idea is crazy and lots of work.

>>* x2 when the same msg is displayed twice in two turns so you
>>can tell for sure you are still being hit
>>"A crude spear hits you. x2" - or change colour or something.
>
> yes
>
>>* Not being able to fire over others limits group work, should
>>just add risk of friendly fire? Or maybe its more tactical this
>>way... game play balance issue... but seems wrong to just say
>>you can't do it.
>
> a different message here perhaps?

Yep. Whatever you think - it has a huge effect on gameplay
either way you go.

>>* Brighter light (white) for what active character sees than
>>group vision?
>
> interesting idea

Cool touch.

>>* Current depth should be on main screen.
>>* Restart game rather than quit out on death.
>>* High score table.
>
> yes
>
> how are you doing with sneaking? getting much value out of it?
> Have you (has anyone) reached the first quest yet? (not including the
> farmer's cellar)
>
> many thanks
> A.

No thankyou!

--

Antoine wrote:

>>>Yes, I second the notion of displaying it in the main armor.
>>
>>I don't see any stats change when I wear a shield?
>

> The Dodge (or is it called Evasion?) stat on the 'P' screen should
> improve if you wear a shield or cloak. Have you found a case where it
> doesn't?

Hmmm it may of when I put on an Orc Shield - although I didn't
notice anything change. The whole decimals and everything is
not a very meaningful/memorable defensive scoring system.

As said before a general AC value or something that estimates
these would be helpful, without having to actually be used in
gameplay (the detail could still be used and displayed on the
P screen - whilst the AC summary on the main display)?

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hi,

> I like the light system. The one thing I don't get is how high
> perception lets you see in the dark. My rogue has 13 perception. Does
> it need to be over 13, rather than 13 or higher? It doesn't seem to
> let me see anything that I can tell, even when I control the rogue.

Maybe you need 14. I will just make sure that this is working properly.

> I find the controls are taking a bit to get used to. You use very
> different keys than tradition dictates. But the keyset is small, and I
> imagine it won't take long to get used to.

Will incorporate a simple keymapping system soon, which should help.

> The biggest thing that annoys me deals with commands. You don't seem
> to be able to give the party any commands going into the dungeon. It's
> especially a problem for the don't use certain spells command. I once
> entered the dungeon, saw some orcs, and my wizard burned half his mana
> on prestidigitation. I could have told him not to mid-fight, but I
> rather not spend the turn to do that, and really shouldn't have to. I
> think at least a few of the commands should stay remembered.

Thats a good point. Which commands do you think should stay in memory?
Any other comments on how the interface should work re. remembering
stuff from one dungeon trip to another?

Another option is to learn another spell over the prestidigitation
slot: basically any other spell is better!

A.