Funny thing about Intel/AMD

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Intel
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2001 8:25:53 AM

I was just browsing the posts discussing this and that about PIII/P4/Athlon, etc.

I got to thinking about my "thinking" about these processors.

In the old days, I used to think "AMD? What idiot would buy that crap?"

And now, I've switched to "Intel? What idiot would buy that crap?"

Funny how times have changed.

IMHO, of course. YMMV.

Jeff

More about : funny thing intel amd

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 8:31:41 AM

I know what you mean

Myself i have always been backing AMD
but now people are more friendly i can say that

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 8:36:15 AM

right, what the hell does YMMV mean??

You Move Me, Veronica?
Yell Madly Mother, Vocally?
Youre Mostly Mental Violet?
Yes Merely Means Violence?
Youll Make Mother Vomit??

what is it?? im dying here!

AMD. It gets you chicks.
Related resources
March 20, 2001 8:43:09 AM

yeah! I dont know a lot of the acronyms u guys use here

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
March 20, 2001 11:02:25 AM

Your Mileage May Vary?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 11:08:52 AM

I think everyone just holds shift and presses any keys.

I am sick of all yo JIFE's complaining about MOSUC!!
March 20, 2001 11:13:32 AM

DILLIGAF CUOTFS TIEB
March 20, 2001 11:53:17 AM

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
March 20, 2001 3:22:37 PM

You know, I was just thinking that very same thing myself the other day.

What idiot would buy that Intel crap?

Why, I want to put together a multiple-processor AMD system. Their 760MP chipset is about to come out. Engineering sample motherboards are utilizing it. It sounds like it has promise.

Then I catch the pricetag. A thousand dollars just for a MOTHERBOARD?!

Like hell am I paying a grand just for a motherboard.

I guess my multiple-processor system will have to be Intel, using their MUCH less expensive motherboards. Even with chip prices and RAM prices involved, my dual 1GHz P3 with PC800 RDRAM will be cheaper than a dual 1GHz T-Bird with DDR SDRAM.

So I guess <b>I</b> will be using that 'crap'.

Huh.

Who'd have guessed?

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 3:56:19 PM

if the MB stays at that price for more than a Month or two AMD have wasted the time and effort they have put into the development of Multi CPU Chipsets....

M

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:
March 20, 2001 4:01:14 PM

Exactly.

And it's really pissing me off because I really wanted a Dual 1.33GHz T-Bird 133MHz FSB DDR SDRAM system.

Hell if I'm going to pay four to five grand to have it though.

And here's a suggestion for a revision to your autosignature:
Opinions are like fetal positions... Everyone can go into one, but no one wants to see it.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slvr_phoenix on 03/20/01 01:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 4:05:03 PM

Slvr,
I'm still trying to figure out where this fits into the IBM announcement that they plan to offer a DP Athlon server. I can't help but wonder if they aren't making the price of the MB high on the open market to allow IBM's server to seem more competitive from a price perspective. It's just a thought, but I have seen stranger things happen in the IBM channel.
March 20, 2001 5:35:43 PM

Right now, the problem is that the board is a server board. The chipset itself isn't what's really driving up the cost (although the base cost is still rather high)...

Onboard Adaptec dual-channel U160 controller: $250
Two 3com NICs (total cost): $65
Onboard ATI Rage XL: $40

The insane trace count required for all this, plus 64-bit PCI, is going to be causing it too (8-layer PCB, anyone?). Consider the "new technology" factor, I'd estimate that in the end, the base board with dual CPU sockets/2channel DDR interface will be about $250. Still expensive, of course.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg&lt;/A>
March 20, 2001 6:35:54 PM

It's just crazy.
There will have to be a cheaper version to come out, or the price will have to drop. Otherwise it'll never catch on as well as it should.

I mean the point of AMD systems is their price/performance factor. If you jump that price up like that, then suddenly that dual P3 looks pretty good. AMD wouldn't be able to break into the multiple CPU market very well, if at all, doing something like that.

Besides, personally I'd rather have an IDE RAID motherboard than SCSI. But then, that's just me.

-Despite all my <font color=red>rage</font color=red>, I'm still just a <font color=orange>rat</font color=orange> in a <font color=white>cage</font color=white>.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2001 7:34:23 PM

How much did the first cell phones cost, and how much do they cost now? The prices will come down. Intell has the advantage of having MP boards on the market for some time.
Anom88tor
March 21, 2001 12:45:59 AM

I agree. Same thing happened with me. three years ago you would never catch me with anything but Intel. not anymore

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 21, 2001 4:45:20 AM

/Intel bashing
I'm gonna say right now, Intel sucks. Thats right, that big company just sucks on Chef's chocolate salty balls...
having they're, what, 6 year old cpu core beaten by a new AMD processor? geez... and no DDR to appease the masses.
/Intel bashing
/AMD bashing
I'm gonna say right now, AMD sucks. Thats right, that small company just sucks on Chef's chocolate salty balls...
having they're, what, $200 cpu core beaten by a little electrically induced heat? geez... and no decent chipsets to appease the masses.
/AMD bashing

fact is, I buy what suits my purpose, I could get my 1ghz tbird cheaper than I could a 1ghz Intel, and it has more headroom, once the 1533 tbirds start becoming limited and require a new motherboard, I may wind up buying the .13 P4s that still have 1ghz worth of headroom.
this whole socket, slot, socket, new socket, old socket, low voltage, high voltage, high wattage, low power, high heat, etc, just gets on my nerves, just predict the future dammmit!!! that's all I want!!
the fact is, they make money when they change the standards.
Microsoft, Intel, AMD, IBM, Apple, ATI, nVidia, everyone makes money making us jump through hoops to go 10% faster.
I can't remember the name of the comedian I'm about to quote, but...
"all a n!gg@ wanted was a sit'n'spin!!"

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2001 10:30:45 AM

thats right, intal and amd suck

cyrix!! yeah!! the cyrix III is the best chip you can buy, period.

AMD. It gets you chicks.
March 21, 2001 1:42:04 PM

Exactly.

That's the way that it has always been, and likely always will be.

Standards change constantly. And to upgrade a system to the latest and greatest will practically require a completely new system.

End of story.

Every computer hardware company wants it this way because not only does it make them all more money, but it also keeps confusion to an acceptable minimum.

The only difference is that with AMD and Intel now competing, these standards are changing faster and faster as they drive each other to put out something new.

People, complain all that you want about how Intel used to sit on it's butt and barely ever offer an upgrade so that they could squeeze every last dime out of us with each and every processor upgrade. But you have to admit that at least during that time, if you bought a system, you knew it would be top-notch for a while. And you knew that you could upgrade easily.

The AMD/Intel competition has given us faster CPUs, yes. But at what cost has it done so?

-Got your money for nothing, and your chips for free.
-I want my, I want my, I want my AMD.
March 21, 2001 3:56:27 PM

You are creative!

"Intel? What idiot would buy that crap?"
March 21, 2001 7:57:58 PM

/Cyrix bashing
I'm gonna say right now, Cyrix sucks. Thats right, that Via company just sucks on Chef's chocolate salty balls...
having they're, what, $60 cpu core beaten by a little $49 Duron? geez... at least the crappy processor does work on an Intel chipset, but a Celeron is faster and cheaper.
/Cyrix bashing

didn't think of Cyrix originally, they kinda suck, you may have noticed... lol

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
!