[Crawl] What's this strange structure in the Hive?

###############
.........@##·#·##
~~~~~~####·····#
~~~~~~~~###···##
~~~~~~~~~###·##
~~~~~~~~~~##·#
~~~~~~~~~~~###
~~~~~~~~~~~~#

The ~'s are water and I discovered this area with magic mapping, but my
digging wand wont penetrate. What is it and how do I get in?

Rich

Oooh cool!

Inside a few yellow wasps, useless armour and scrolls and a book, but a
rather nice rod:

The rod of destruction

Spells Type Level
a - Throw Frost Evocations 2
b - Ice Bolt Evocations 4
c - Freezing Cloud Evocations 7

Select a spell to cast.

Methinks that will compliment my axe and now sword (for when I want to
swap in my res electricity shield) of flaming rather nicely!

Rich

>So many people talking about rods these days, makes me feel like there's
>something wrong with my copy: they are *extremely* rare in my games. :-/
>
>Rubinstein

Hmmm. I've played about 20 games so far, most dying very early, and
only a few even reaching the temple, this last one is the first to
reach the Lair. I've found 2 rods so far, this is the first time I've
actually worked out what they're for. Guess luck comes and it goes :)
Hopefully I'll be able to stay alive long enough to make the most of
it.

Rich

Dafty wrote:

> The ~'s are water and I discovered this area with magic mapping, but
> my digging wand wont penetrate. What is it and how do I get in?

Seek for a hidden door.
Hint: You need to levitate...

Rubinstein

Dafty wrote:

[ice-based \oDestruction found in Hive hoardlet]

The little hoard in the Hive is so small that it's a rarity when
something really good turns up there. A rod find in there is really great!

The ice rod eventually goes out of style (too many ice-resistants later
on), but it is bloody amazing until it does. Freezing cloud is just
insanely powerful. (More so if you're stealthy, but it's still good even
if you're not.) Just be careful you don't cast it too close to yourself
in corridors -- it's a really frustrating way to lose your potions!

Erik

Rubinstein wrote:
> Dafty wrote:
>
>>Inside a few yellow wasps, useless armour and scrolls and a book, but
>>a rather nice rod:
>>
>>The rod of destruction
>

> So many people talking about rods these days, makes me feel like there's
> something wrong with my copy: they are *extremely* rare in my games. :-/
>
> Rubinstein

They're extremely rare in the wild, period. I think my first winner
found one in the wild before the endgame and one after that, my second
found one at some point, and my hopeful third found one early on and
thanked his lucky stars.

Erik