WoW Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emelth

Distinguished
Hello everyone hopefully you can help me out real quick with a Gaming laptop for World of Warcraft.

1. What is your budget? 600-900 (alright if it goes over 1000 a little bit)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? As big as possible for gaming :D

3. What screen resolution do you want? Ummm....?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? A lot Im gonna be in Afghan so hopefully they will be able to ship it out to me

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? WoW on high or medium settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Video chatting

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 4gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. use what you got

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 1-2 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I dont want bluray

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I dont care

13. What country do you live in? USA but deployed in Afghan right now

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. a full keyboard with number pad, no vista

1. A decent gaming laptop starts at about $1,100

2. More if ya want big screen

5. As performance goes up, battery life by necessity goes down

8. Id say 250 GB minimum

I'd grab this ah heck for $1,172 ..... gonna need $90 for an OS tho if ya can't get thru military

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=P151HM

It's loaded w/ Sandy Bridge, has 8 GB memory, 500 GB HD, i7-2630QM, GTX 460M w/1.5GB GDDR5, X Max. DVD±R/RW Writer/Reader / 4X Max. +DL Super-Mulit Drive , 8 cell Li-Ion battery, Integrated 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth, Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera, Built-In Fingerprint Reader, Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN, Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC), 1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire, 2 USB 2.0 Ports, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 1 eSATA Port, 1 HDMI Output, 1 DVI-I Port, 1 Kensington Lock Port, Built-in Microphone, 2 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer, 4 Audio Jacks for Headphone, Microphone-In, S/PDIF-Out, and Line-In, 100/240V Autoswitch AC Adapter

Emelth

Distinguished
Wow thats a real nice one like the power behind it and the sound system is a big plus, hopefully I can get a couple more options to compare. Thank you for your help Jack. Also if need the screen can get reduced down to fit in a backpack if needed to stay below price range

ASUS N53J Entertainment Laptop $950
Core i5-460M CPU & 1920x1080 15.6" LCD & GeForce GT 425M graphics with Optimus technology - increases battery life by shutting down the GT 425M and using the Intel HD Graphics GPU when the stronger video card isn't needed.
GT 425M will handle WoW on medium settings.
With any gaming laptop you're going to sacrifice battery time for power. Optimus technology balances that a bit.

Emelth

Distinguished

Another very interesting setup specially with the shutdown capability. Thing i dont like it about it is the blueray player but that can be over looked. This looks like a winner for right now especially with the keyboard for those of us with bigger hands it looks great. Would I be able to upgrade this laptop with more memory or anything in the future?

You would be able to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, but only by removing the 2x2GB sticks and replacing them with 2x4GB sticks of RAM. Not exactly a cost effective performance upgrade since you get no 'real' performance advantage over the already included 4GB.
The benefit of CPU and GPU upgrades is also questionable in my mind. The cost to upgrade (staying within the same family of CPU for example) doesn't really get you a cost effective performance boost. IMO, you need to upgrade into the next generation of CPU/GPU to get an upgrade that makes sense and that option isn't usually available to laptop owners.

A better strategy is keeping the laptop till you feel it's not meeting your requirements. Then you can either pass it along to a family member or sell it and use the proceeds for your next laptop. The Blu-Ray player might make it a more attractive re-sale choice for the next owner.

Emelth

Distinguished

So 8gb really isnt worth it for playing WoW?

Not for WoW or most other laptop usages.
There are some video and photographic (Photoshop) editing programs that can make good use of extra RAM. And if you're going to be using multiple virtual machines with VMware 8GB of RAM will sure come in handy.
Even there it's not like having 4GB of RAM leaves you unable to use those programs effectively.

Emelth

Distinguished
Just tried looking on ASUS website but they didnt have any customizing capabilities from what i saw and didnt see the prices of the laptops. Still looking around for better deals or more info on the main specs that i will need to run it smoothly

Emelth

Distinguished
also looked onto toshiba and made one

# Intel® Core i3-370M Processor (2.40GHz)
# Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
# 4GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)
# 500GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
# No Secondary Hard Drive Installed
# NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics
# DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
# Glossy Black Keyboard
# No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
# Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell, 48Wh)

Just dont know if it will play WoW at high settings

Emelth

Distinguished

Do you think i should upgrade anything for better performance right now its only at $879.
I did upgrade the Processor to the i5 for more multi-tasking capabilities

Emelth

Distinguished

No it says it has 1680x945 its the Satellite P500-BT2G23. Wanted to double check it to make sure. Why is toshiba gear so cheap?

I found another source.
What is missing is 1680x945. And I would guess the same is true for a lot of games.
You could either run 1440 x 900 or 1366 x 768 in a window or run one of those full screen.
That would cause the video card to do extra work to figure out what pixels to use to make 1680x945 pixles act like 1440x900 or 1366x768.
It would cut into your FPS performance a bit.

WoW Supported Resolutions:
1280 x 800 (16:10)
1440 x 900 (16:10)
1680 x 1050 (16:10)
1920 x 1200 (16:10)
2560 x 1600 (16:10)
1024 x 576 (16:9)
1280 x 720 (16:9)
1366 x 768 (16:9)
1920 x 1080 (16:9)

Status
Not open for further replies.