Sign in with
Your question

Acer AL1916W DVI-D connection

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 7, 2012 12:06:46 AM

OK, this is an interesting problem.

Dell e4310 laptop running Windows XP, SP3. It is a work computer, so I do not have full administrator rights.

I use it at home, so I bought the Dell port replicator (docking station) - the plus model that will run dual screens. Eventually I want to connect 2 monitors to this rig.

The monitor I have at home is the Acer AL1916W. It has one VGA and one DVI-D input.
The Dell laptop has only a VGA output, but the Dell port replicator has 1x VGA port, 2x DVI-D ports and 2x DisplayPorts.

OK, so I have the laptop mounted on the port replicator. If I connect the monitor to the port replicator via the VGA port, it works just fine. However, in the future, I want to display two monitors to the DVI ports.

If I plug the Acer into a DVI port, the laptop does not discover it. Hitting Fn+F8 just causes it to search for the monitor (I get some flicker on the laptop screen), but it can't find it. So then I tried connecting both the VGA and DVI to both the screen and the replicator. Doing this, sometimes it will discover the monitor and allow me to disconnect the VGA cable and just run on DVI. That is good until the PC goes into hibernation, then when I go to wake it, it does not see the monitor again. I am not always successful at getting it back. Leaving both cables connected causes the laptop screen and the monitor screen to cycle continuously through hardware discovery - causing the screens to black out cyclically.

I've tried numerous configurations and cycles to try and find the consistant, no-fail trick to getting that monitor up, but no dice. I also tried to download and install the monitor drivers from Acer, but my PC will not allow them to install because they are not digitally signed. Apparently the Acer monitor is not considered Windows compliant.

I upgraded the DVI-D connector from single link to dual link, but to no avail.

I took the laptop to work and connected an identical port replicator to it and then connected two Dell monitors via the displayport connectors. THat worked fine. Then I brought home a DVI to displayport dongle to see if that would help me issue at home, but that did not work. I guess the next thing I could do is to try bringing the replicator from work home to see if I get the same behaviour with that one.

Another weird thing - my Acer monitor does not allow me to see the monitor's menu unless it is getting signal from the PC.

I suspect that the Acer monitor is not WESA compliant, but I'd like to have a little more certainty about the possible issues before I start with the experimental purchases of new monitors. Does anyone have any further suggestions or insights on this?

Dan C
September 11, 2012 12:14:01 PM

AvalonBass said:
OK, this is an interesting problem.

Dell e4310 laptop running Windows XP, SP3. It is a work computer, so I do not have full administrator rights.

I use it at home, so I bought the Dell port replicator (docking station) - the plus model that will run dual screens. Eventually I want to connect 2 monitors to this rig.

The monitor I have at home is the Acer AL1916W. It has one VGA and one DVI-D input.
The Dell laptop has only a VGA output, but the Dell port replicator has 1x VGA port, 2x DVI-D ports and 2x DisplayPorts.

OK, so I have the laptop mounted on the port replicator. If I connect the monitor to the port replicator via the VGA port, it works just fine. However, in the future, I want to display two monitors to the DVI ports.

If I plug the Acer into a DVI port, the laptop does not discover it. Hitting Fn+F8 just causes it to search for the monitor (I get some flicker on the laptop screen), but it can't find it. So then I tried connecting both the VGA and DVI to both the screen and the replicator. Doing this, sometimes it will discover the monitor and allow me to disconnect the VGA cable and just run on DVI. That is good until the PC goes into hibernation, then when I go to wake it, it does not see the monitor again. I am not always successful at getting it back. Leaving both cables connected causes the laptop screen and the monitor screen to cycle continuously through hardware discovery - causing the screens to black out cyclically.

I've tried numerous configurations and cycles to try and find the consistant, no-fail trick to getting that monitor up, but no dice. I also tried to download and install the monitor drivers from Acer, but my PC will not allow them to install because they are not digitally signed. Apparently the Acer monitor is not considered Windows compliant.

I upgraded the DVI-D connector from single link to dual link, but to no avail.

I took the laptop to work and connected an identical port replicator to it and then connected two Dell monitors via the displayport connectors. THat worked fine. Then I brought home a DVI to displayport dongle to see if that would help me issue at home, but that did not work. I guess the next thing I could do is to try bringing the replicator from work home to see if I get the same behaviour with that one.

Another weird thing - my Acer monitor does not allow me to see the monitor's menu unless it is getting signal from the PC.

I suspect that the Acer monitor is not WESA compliant, but I'd like to have a little more certainty about the possible issues before I start with the experimental purchases of new monitors. Does anyone have any further suggestions or insights on this?

Dan C

You can use a VGA to DVI-D converter if you want to connect 2 DVI monitors in the future. I would recommend a video converter(Part # SCA-ANA-DVI), just Gogole it and you'll find a handful of options, buy a decent product with a great deal. Its always good to ask for the warranty.
m
l
!