1. What is your budget?
$500 + or - $50 (will pay 600 if it's REALLY worth it.)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not really a concern.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A portable solution. I'd prefer it being under 6 lbs or so since I have to bring it to class occasionally.
5. How much battery life do you need?
4 hours +
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. I like casual gaming. Heroes of Newerth is probably the most intensive game I play. I don't expect breathtaking quality graphics. Just medium and playable.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Watch movies smoothly. Maybe a little bit of matlab, but nothing too intensive.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320GB+ (preferably around 500Gb)
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I prefer online. But I live in Denver so there's a microcenter around me.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Atleast 2 years. I just gave my 14 inch Asus to my parents and I had that for a year with no problems other than heat.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD burner. Bluray if its in the price range.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Brands I prefer: Asus, Sony, Toshiba.
Brands I don't like: HP, Compaq, Gateway.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm a college kid that couch surfs a lot and I like to bring my laptop wherever I go. I saw another thread that was very similar to this one but with the release of sandy bridge and the new AMD Fusion processors I was wondering if there were any other suggestions. I do not have a desktop at my house but I use school computers for all my video editing and matlab stuff. I am looking to wait a month or so to see what fusion will bring. I've looked for laptops with the AMD E-350 but they are all around 11.6 inches and I want a 14 inch. Will the E-350 be released on laptops that size? Also since the E-350 has 6310 graphics, where exactly is that in the graphics heirarchy chart? I'm assuming better than the Radeon 4250, but how much better? Or is it mainly a netbook solution.
Thanks for the suggestion. That is a killer deal. I find that 14 inch screens are perfect for me though. I've done some more research on E-350 based notebooks and I found the Acer 4253 which is to be released in a few weeks or so. I've generally heard bad things about Acer notebooks and I was wondering if anyone has recently purchased an Acer notebook within the last 3 months and could tell me about their experience.
You should give the HP G42-240US a look. I think its a great choice for mobile productivity and entertainment, the affordable, 14" HP® G42-240US Notebook PC with 4 GB of memory. Also, its price tag is in your range at $543.