  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 12:29:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I just released a new version of the cellphone roguelike Dweller. The new
version includes a couple of fixes and small improvements. Hope you enjoy
it!

2005-06-14 v.0.7.8
NEW Made some creatures neutral towards the player (wild dogs, bats, rats)

2005-06-13 v.0.7.7
CHANGE Improved messages in combat and reduced the number of <MORE> prompts

2005-06-11 v.0.7.6
NEW Inventory is now divided into several categories
CHANGE Saved game is automatically loaded upon startup
CHANGE If no saved game exists, character creation screen is shown
CHANGE Stat increase always possible on level up

2005-05-28 v.0.7.5
NEW Monsters will not use ranged attacks if outside player's light radius
NEW Added option to open a door while in look mode.

2005-05-23 v.0.7.4
NEW Chests and trapped chests. Use 5 to interact.
CHANGE Improved environment graphics by Petr "JuPiTeR" Visek.

2005-03-22 v.0.7.3
FIX Once and for all removed the possibility to target yourself with a
missile
weapon
FIX Corrected problem with carrying capacity based on character type
FIX Door and trap gfx added

2005-03-19 v.0.7.2
FIX Removed weird enchantments on some items like Deadly Gold Coins and so
on
NEW The player will regain HP and MP when reaching a previously unvisited
depth
NEW Player name for each character type

DOWNLOAD
Generic MIDP1 versions
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....

Nokia fullscreen versions
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...

Release notes and Download page
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

BR,
Björn - roguelikedevelopment.org

More about : announce dweller released

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:34:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Björn Bergström wrote:
> I just released a new version of the cellphone roguelike Dweller. The new
> version includes a couple of fixes and small improvements. Hope you enjoy
> it!
*SNIP*
> DOWNLOAD
> Generic MIDP1 versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
>
> Nokia fullscreen versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
>
> Release notes and Download page
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>
> BR,
> Björn - roguelikedevelopment.org

Thankyou!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> I just released a new version of the cellphone roguelike Dweller. The new
>> version includes a couple of fixes and small improvements. Hope you enjoy
>> it!
>
> *SNIP*
>
>> DOWNLOAD
>> Generic MIDP1 versions
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
>>
>> Nokia fullscreen versions
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
>>
>> Release notes and Download page
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>>
>> BR,
>> Björn - roguelikedevelopment.org
>

> Thankyou!

Sure, NP. I just wish I would have had more time to spend on Dweller
these last couple of months. The time elapsed since the last release
doesn't really correspond to the small amount of changes made...
anyways, I'm back to coding and will focus on gameplay improvements and
cleanup.

BR,
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Related resources
June 16, 2005 8:39:28 AM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> I just released a new version of the cellphone roguelike Dweller.

Great - will download asap

....<snip>...
> NEW Inventory is now divided into several categories

Good idea - this will make life much easier

> CHANGE If no saved game exists, character creation screen is shown

Again, this is good - it took me a wee while to realise there even was
a character creation screen in prev version ;op

> NEW The player will regain HP and MP when reaching a previously unvisited
> depth

yes yes yes !!! - good idea to balance out the HP management issue

....<snip>...

Will donwload tonight and post comments soon..

Thanks again Björn.

Regards,

tigpup
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:40:12 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
*SNIP*

>> Thankyou!
>>
> Sure, NP. I just wish I would have had more time to spend on Dweller
> these last couple of months. The time elapsed since the last release
> doesn't really correspond to the small amount of changes made...
> anyways, I'm back to coding and will focus on gameplay improvements and
> cleanup.
>
> BR,
> Björn Bergström
> roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
> dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

I know the feeling!

I've had a quick play on the Nokia Graphic version, and will
give a fuller report soon.

* Traps now showing (all showing??? some should start hidden????)
* Doors now showing open/close
* You start on depth 2, go up to surface depth 1 and then come
back down and get god bonus?
* Inventory change is interesting, not sure about it yet, esp
how some sections are below the first page. Maybe pressing *
again takes you to an equipped screen or just the full inventory.
* Response time is a little slower again.
* Have not tested load/save bug yet but save working so far.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:40:13 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>
> *SNIP*
>

>>> Thankyou!
>>>
>> Sure, NP. I just wish I would have had more time to spend on Dweller
>> these last couple of months. The time elapsed since the last release
>> doesn't really correspond to the small amount of changes made...
>> anyways, I'm back to coding and will focus on gameplay improvements
>> and cleanup.
>>
>> BR,
>> Björn Bergström
>> roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
>> dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
>

> I know the feeling!
>
> I've had a quick play on the Nokia Graphic version, and will
> give a fuller report soon.
>
> * Traps now showing (all showing??? some should start hidden????)

Hmm.. really? This is probably a bug in the graphics version

> * Doors now showing open/close
> * You start on depth 2, go up to surface depth 1 and then come
> back down and get god bonus?

My bad. Just before the release I set starting depth to 2 to try a
couple of things out. I forgot to switch back... I'll upload a new
version next week.

> * Inventory change is interesting, not sure about it yet, esp
> how some sections are below the first page. Maybe pressing *
> again takes you to an equipped screen or just the full inventory.

Several players have reported that they found the old version with all
items in a looong list hard to navigate. It is hard to please all
players but I think the new approach is easier to work with. I agree
with you that a screen showing just the equipped items would be nice.

> * Response time is a little slower again.

This is probably due to the new monster AI code. Monsters can be
friendly, neutral or hostile. This requires more calculations per turn.
Let me see if I cannot optimize the code a bit. If you have time, could
you please try the ascii version as well and let me know if that one is
also a bit more slow than before?

> * Have not tested load/save bug yet but save working so far.

It should work much better now. Let me know if it does or not.

BR,
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:27:08 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>> *SNIP*

>>> Sure, NP. I just wish I would have had more time to spend on Dweller
>>> these last couple of months. The time elapsed since the last release
>>> doesn't really correspond to the small amount of changes made...
>>> anyways, I'm back to coding and will focus on gameplay improvements
>>> and cleanup.
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Björn Bergström
>>> roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
>>> dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
>>
>> I know the feeling!
>>
>> I've had a quick play on the Nokia Graphic version, and will
>> give a fuller report soon.
>>
>> * Traps now showing (all showing??? some should start hidden????)
>
> Hmm.. really? This is probably a bug in the graphics version

Will test ascii version...

>> * Doors now showing open/close
>> * You start on depth 2, go up to surface depth 1 and then come
>> back down and get god bonus?
>
> My bad. Just before the release I set starting depth to 2 to try a
> couple of things out. I forgot to switch back... I'll upload a new
> version next week.

Haha - and here I thought it was a massive leap in gameplay design!

>> * Inventory change is interesting, not sure about it yet, esp
>> how some sections are below the first page. Maybe pressing *
>> again takes you to an equipped screen or just the full inventory.
>

> Several players have reported that they found the old version with all
> items in a looong list hard to navigate. It is hard to please all
> players but I think the new approach is easier to work with. I agree
> with you that a screen showing just the equipped items would be nice.

Yeah freakin hard choices, that's why I didn't go all cranky on it.
Perhaps the first sub menu should be 'all' - best of both worlds
and should be very easy to add for you???

>> * Response time is a little slower again.
>

> This is probably due to the new monster AI code. Monsters can be
> friendly, neutral or hostile. This requires more calculations per turn.
> Let me see if I cannot optimize the code a bit. If you have time, could
> you please try the ascii version as well and let me know if that one is
> also a bit more slow than before?

Yep will do. Could you change the ASCII or GFX version to a
slightly different name so I can load both on my phone at
once (old request!)

>> * Have not tested load/save bug yet but save working so far.
>

> It should work much better now. Let me know if it does or not.

I'll try to remember the sequence to make it happen.

> BR,
> Björn Bergström
> roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
> dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

Thank you for another release - made my day. You know I defeated
the previous version??? (yay me)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:36:01 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
*SNIP*
>>> * Response time is a little slower again.
>>
>> This is probably due to the new monster AI code. Monsters can be
>> friendly, neutral or hostile. This requires more calculations per
>> turn. Let me see if I cannot optimize the code a bit. If you have
>> time, could you please try the ascii version as well and let me know
>> if that one is also a bit more slow than before?
>
> Yep will do. Could you change the ASCII or GFX version to a
> slightly different name so I can load both on my phone at
> once (old request!)
*SNIP*

Interesting - I went to install the ASCII version over the gfx
version and it failed - but deleted the gfx version. Then I
went to install ASCII again and it worked. Normally it does
not delete existing but fails...

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:39:33 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> ABCGi wrote:
>
> *SNIP*

>>> This is probably due to the new monster AI code. Monsters can be
>>> friendly, neutral or hostile. This requires more calculations per
>>> turn. Let me see if I cannot optimize the code a bit. If you have
>>> time, could you please try the ascii version as well and let me know
>>> if that one is also a bit more slow than before?
>>

>> Yep will do. Could you change the ASCII or GFX version to a
>> slightly different name so I can load both on my phone at
>> once (old request!)
>
> *SNIP*
>
> Interesting - I went to install the ASCII version over the gfx
> version and it failed - but deleted the gfx version. Then I
> went to install ASCII again and it worked. Normally it does
> not delete existing but fails...

ASCII nokia version on Nokia 6610 seems to have same slower
response time as well. I like the neutral/hostile gameplay
though.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:41:16 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:

>> *SNIP*

>>> Yep will do. Could you change the ASCII or GFX version to a
>>> slightly different name so I can load both on my phone at
>>> once (old request!)
>>

>> *SNIP*
>>
>> Interesting - I went to install the ASCII version over the gfx
>> version and it failed - but deleted the gfx version. Then I
>> went to install ASCII again and it worked. Normally it does
>> not delete existing but fails...
>
> ASCII nokia version on Nokia 6610 seems to have same slower
> response time as well. I like the neutral/hostile gameplay
> though.

Early results on ASCII version show that traps are also all
visible ^ on it as well as GFX version.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:41:17 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:

>>> *SNIP*

>>> *SNIP*
>>>
>>> Interesting - I went to install the ASCII version over the gfx
>>> version and it failed - but deleted the gfx version. Then I
>>> went to install ASCII again and it worked. Normally it does
>>> not delete existing but fails...
>>

>> ASCII nokia version on Nokia 6610 seems to have same slower
>> response time as well. I like the neutral/hostile gameplay
>> though.
>

> Early results on ASCII version show that traps are also all
> visible ^ on it as well as GFX version.

Ok, I'll have a look at the issues/suggestions you mentioned once I get
back to a computer after my extended weekend holiday.

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:52:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Björn Bergström wrote:
*SNIP*
> Ok, I'll have a look at the issues/suggestions you mentioned once I get
> back to a computer after my extended weekend holiday.

Sweeeeet! No show stoppers so far.

* CORRECTION: Traps can be invisible in ASCII version, just stepped
on one! But most seem pre-visible. this might be same for gfx version

Some ideas for the inventory display (just examples and ideas,
use whatever takes fancy);

* Show unique item count in brackets (where any stacks exist) ie
Missile 35 (2) <- made up of 30 arrows and 5 flaming arrows
This might just be limited to Comestible and Missile and Money?

* Show "e" if any items in category are equipped
Melee 3 e

* Show * for each magic enhanced item in category
Helmet 4 **

* Altogether that might be;
Armour 5 (4)e***
= 2 leather armours and 3 other magic armours one which is
equipped

* Missile could combine ammo via
Missile 2/30 <- 2 missile weapons with 30 ammo
* Amulets and Rings should be together or joined on inventory IMO
* Armour and Shields could be combined, or all armour could be
just under Armour (usually only have 1 helmet etc so why have
a sub category for each).
* Rest of magic items could just be under Magic Items - on full
screen Nokia I have 5 categories under Money I have to scroll
down to...
* Perhaps inventory quick key "#" could take you direct to
previous sub-menu you were in and then pressing left would
take you back to main category menu? And/or jump straight to
sub menu of last picked up item in the previous turn.
* Sub menu does not remember last item highlighted and goes
straight to bottom item. Annoying for eating mushrooms with
potions in same sub menu.
* "Harmless Protection Amulet" might be better so that Protection
can be seen on inventory screen (rather than "Harmless Amulet of
Protection" - I know its an amulet by the sub menu and the
icon displayed bottom left). Old suggestion.
* When highlighting an item have "right" take you to choice
menu Use/Drop one/Drop all/Examine but pressing 5 immediately
Uses the item (eat, equip/unequip etc).
* Inventory system might be ok, I just have to get used to it
I guess!

OTHER
* A neutral monster being hit and/or going hostile should say
"The Jackal gets mad!"
* Harmless Amulet of Protection I found had +1 to Def????
Occurred again - Harmless seems to always give +1 Def.
* Still have things like weak mushrooms that act just like normal
mushrooms (no biggie).
* Dropping item on top of other should now just put it in an
adjacent square rather than deny it.
* "You find a Gold coins" on a chest search, should be
"You find Gold coins"
* Still no target cycling :)
* Jellies are too slow and miss too much to be of much threat
They should have some area of effect attack (-1hp per turn
per success magic attack, increased slightly for each extra
jelly on screen but only 1 attack per turn for any group of
jellies, or corrode melee weapons, or each cloned jelly is
double its parents speed). Or something else.
* Jelly XP xploit still exist (children greater and greater xp)
* Missile fire from secret door to adjacent monster still says
can't do it (but fixed for monsters not adjacent).
* When targeting Skeleton that was out of view range game said
"Unable to target Skeleton" which gives away monster is there
* When looking at item that has stairs, or known trap, or chest under
neath game should say "You see a Club and a chest" etc.
* Slow response time off inventory changes coming back to screen
so not just monster AI slowing things down? Could you possibly
change the bottom left "@" to a "*" at the very start of each
input and then change back to "@" on full redraw - or can you
only do a full redraw? This is to remind player their move is
being processed? Hmmm sounds like a bad idea actually... will
slow it down even more!

NOTES
* Chests are cool and simple, found one under an item once
* Can't /rort/ the god bonus going up and down stairs to same
levels (good)
* XP shows for missile kills (fixed for magic attacks too?)
* Getting gifts for each level up = good
* Can rort items by going up/down stairs (hard to avoid this exploit)
* Game is a little easier esp with neutrals and most traps visible

that'll do for now!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:10:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

ABCGi wrote:
*SNIP*
> NOTES
> * Chests are cool and simple, found one under an item once
> * Can't /rort/ the god bonus going up and down stairs to same
> levels (good)
> * XP shows for missile kills (fixed for magic attacks too?)
> * Getting gifts for each level up = good
> * Can rort items by going up/down stairs (hard to avoid this exploit)
> * Game is a little easier esp with neutrals and most traps visible
>
> that'll do for now!

Made it to depth 9, xp level 18. Vampire Lord kicked my Warrior
ass (love the Warrior's name!). A lack of magic ability to
teleport, when he was finally challenged by a group of 7 Vampire
Lords, really hurt my Warriors escape! I got 5 of them though.

* XP does not show for magic kills.
* When examining an item I should be able to press left to go
back to the choice menu (use/drop one etc). Often after I
examine something I want to wear it!
* After equipping an item I would like to go back to the menu
I equipped from as I often then drop the other item. Currently
goes back to the game (given the sub menu system I would prefer
to choose when the inventory closes and not have it happen
automatically).
* Still can't see through traps.
* Bow and arrow still way over powered - this should not be based
on the players total Attack rating since it includes the wielded
melee weapon.
* IDEA - add unaware/aware state. when aware of PC monster becomes
bold/highlighted, this allows sneaking up etc. Adds element of
strategy to choices about who to fire arrows at... on top of
neutral/hostile should be good.
* Chests on their own when looking don't say - "you see a chest".

Great game!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 6:19:56 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
> *SNIP*
>
>> NOTES
>> * Chests are cool and simple, found one under an item once
>> * Can't /rort/ the god bonus going up and down stairs to same
>> levels (good)
>> * XP shows for missile kills (fixed for magic attacks too?)
>> * Getting gifts for each level up = good
>> * Can rort items by going up/down stairs (hard to avoid this exploit)
>> * Game is a little easier esp with neutrals and most traps visible
>>
>> that'll do for now!
>
> Made it to depth 9, xp level 18. Vampire Lord kicked my Warrior
> ass (love the Warrior's name!). A lack of magic ability to
> teleport, when he was finally challenged by a group of 7 Vampire
> Lords, really hurt my Warriors escape! I got 5 of them though.
>
> * XP does not show for magic kills.
> * When examining an item I should be able to press left to go
> back to the choice menu (use/drop one etc). Often after I
> examine something I want to wear it!
> * After equipping an item I would like to go back to the menu
> I equipped from as I often then drop the other item. Currently
> goes back to the game (given the sub menu system I would prefer
> to choose when the inventory closes and not have it happen
> automatically).
> * Still can't see through traps.
> * Bow and arrow still way over powered - this should not be based
> on the players total Attack rating since it includes the wielded
> melee weapon.
> * IDEA - add unaware/aware state. when aware of PC monster becomes
> bold/highlighted, this allows sneaking up etc. Adds element of
> strategy to choices about who to fire arrows at... on top of
> neutral/hostile should be good.
> * Chests on their own when looking don't say - "you see a chest".
>
> Great game!

Slight advantage to graphical version, can see traps underneath objects.

Having great fun, found a Deadly Fencers Cloak - which almost sounded
like a proper unique object but in fact it was just a couple of
prefixes. Nice work!

As reported previously, it does seem some of the prefixes are
mismatched - found a Disenchanted Magic Amulet of Protection
which was +1 to Def and -1 to magic.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:14:35 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>> *SNIP*
>>
>>> NOTES
>>> * Chests are cool and simple, found one under an item once
>>> * Can't /rort/ the god bonus going up and down stairs to same
>>> levels (good)
>>> * XP shows for missile kills (fixed for magic attacks too?)
>>> * Getting gifts for each level up = good
>>> * Can rort items by going up/down stairs (hard to avoid this exploit)
>>> * Game is a little easier esp with neutrals and most traps visible
>>>
>>> that'll do for now!
>>

>> Made it to depth 9, xp level 18. Vampire Lord kicked my Warrior
>> ass (love the Warrior's name!). A lack of magic ability to
>> teleport, when he was finally challenged by a group of 7 Vampire
>> Lords, really hurt my Warriors escape! I got 5 of them though.
>>
>> * XP does not show for magic kills.
>> * When examining an item I should be able to press left to go
>> back to the choice menu (use/drop one etc). Often after I
>> examine something I want to wear it!
>> * After equipping an item I would like to go back to the menu
>> I equipped from as I often then drop the other item. Currently
>> goes back to the game (given the sub menu system I would prefer
>> to choose when the inventory closes and not have it happen
>> automatically).
>> * Still can't see through traps.
>> * Bow and arrow still way over powered - this should not be based
>> on the players total Attack rating since it includes the wielded
>> melee weapon.
>> * IDEA - add unaware/aware state. when aware of PC monster becomes
>> bold/highlighted, this allows sneaking up etc. Adds element of
>> strategy to choices about who to fire arrows at... on top of
>> neutral/hostile should be good.
>> * Chests on their own when looking don't say - "you see a chest".
>>
>> Great game!
>
> Slight advantage to graphical version, can see traps underneath objects.
>
> Having great fun, found a Deadly Fencers Cloak - which almost sounded
> like a proper unique object but in fact it was just a couple of
> prefixes. Nice work!
>
> As reported previously, it does seem some of the prefixes are
> mismatched - found a Disenchanted Magic Amulet of Protection
> which was +1 to Def and -1 to magic.

* Save game resulted in (Ranger, depth 5, everytime tried to save);
Saving game...
Error: null

* How come I died?
You miss the Wraith
You died!

* Interesting with the equipping of wands and books, now have to;
+ spend a turn unequipping the missile weapon (if equipped)
+ spend a turn unequipping any equipped wand
+ spend a turn equipping a new book (if not on the one you want)
+ Press 0 to aim and cast the book spell
Potentially a max of 4 turns! It really makes you think about which
wand or book to leave equipped and makes scrolls and potions more useful.
It also means a Ranger must rely less on magic and more on missiles as
is should be the case.

* However having to go into the inventory and unequip a wand to
use your book is a pain. Or to unequip your bow to use a wand.
And then re-equip the bow to use it etc.
Better the target interface had;
0 - to start targeting with active equipped item (either bow/wand/book)
* - to bring up menu to change active equipped item (costs a turn)
# - is left to still be able to do target cycling
5 - to target something
0 - to cancel
The last equipped item (bow/wand/book) through the inventory would
automatically become active. The inventory main menu could show
an "active" flag next to the category that currently holds the
active equipped bow/wand/book.

* I started a wizard game and he walked up to a visible trap and
the game said "You found something!" - this then happened again,
so problem there. Nokia GFX version.

I once found a chest with an item sitting on it (chest I assume
is of the same class of map item as a stair or trap). Cool.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:50:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I quite like the new inventory menus! Its a nice interface improvement
that works well on my SonyEricson T616. One of the catagories is
cosmetiables? Shouldn't that be consumables?

Great job! I've really fallen out of the roguelike loop because
RealLife has kept me busy, but Having dweller on my phone is excellent
since I get to play whenever I'm stuck somewhere.

Björn Bergström wrote:
> I just released a new version of the cellphone roguelike Dweller. The new
> version includes a couple of fixes and small improvements. Hope you enjoy
> it!
>
> 2005-06-14 v.0.7.8
> NEW Made some creatures neutral towards the player (wild dogs, bats, rats)
>
> 2005-06-13 v.0.7.7
> CHANGE Improved messages in combat and reduced the number of <MORE> prompts
>
> 2005-06-11 v.0.7.6
> NEW Inventory is now divided into several categories
> CHANGE Saved game is automatically loaded upon startup
> CHANGE If no saved game exists, character creation screen is shown
> CHANGE Stat increase always possible on level up
>
> 2005-05-28 v.0.7.5
> NEW Monsters will not use ranged attacks if outside player's light radius
> NEW Added option to open a door while in look mode.
>
> 2005-05-23 v.0.7.4
> NEW Chests and trapped chests. Use 5 to interact.
> CHANGE Improved environment graphics by Petr "JuPiTeR" Visek.
>
> 2005-03-22 v.0.7.3
> FIX Once and for all removed the possibility to target yourself with a
> missile
> weapon
> FIX Corrected problem with carrying capacity based on character type
> FIX Door and trap gfx added
>
> 2005-03-19 v.0.7.2
> FIX Removed weird enchantments on some items like Deadly Gold Coins and so
> on
> NEW The player will regain HP and MP when reaching a previously unvisited
> depth
> NEW Player name for each character type
>
> DOWNLOAD
> Generic MIDP1 versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx....
>
> Nokia fullscreen versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNoki...
>
> Release notes and Download page
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>
> BR,
> Björn - roguelikedevelopment.org
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:44:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

*SNIP*

* Casting fire at neutral monsters does not make them angry.
* Casting healing scroll at hostile monster should have chance
to make them neutral.
* Missing a neutral monster, or even hitting it and doing no
damage does not make them hostile - intended?

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:53:37 AM

Corey Woodworth wrote:
> I quite like the new inventory menus! Its a nice interface improvement
> that works well on my SonyEricson T616. One of the catagories is
> cosmetiables? Shouldn't that be consumables?

I believe it says comestible = Something suitable to be eaten; food.
Consumable would probably work as well.

> Great job! I've really fallen out of the roguelike loop because
> RealLife has kept me busy, but Having dweller on my phone is excellent
> since I get to play whenever I'm stuck somewhere.

Thanks!

BR,
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:18:29 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
> *SNIP*
>
>> Ok, I'll have a look at the issues/suggestions you mentioned once I
>> get back to a computer after my extended weekend holiday.
>

> Sweeeeet! No show stoppers so far.
>
> * CORRECTION: Traps can be invisible in ASCII version, just stepped
> on one! But most seem pre-visible. this might be same for gfx version

Traps may be triggered by careless monsters. Perhaps this is what has
happened? Mayble I'll have the monsters cheat, avoiding traps altogether,

> Some ideas for the inventory display (just examples and ideas,
> use whatever takes fancy);
>
> * Show unique item count in brackets (where any stacks exist) ie
> Missile 35 (2) <- made up of 30 arrows and 5 flaming arrows
> This might just be limited to Comestible and Missile and Money?

Good idea!

> * Show "e" if any items in category are equipped
> Melee 3 e

I might add this as well.

> * Show * for each magic enhanced item in category
> Helmet 4 **

This is not as important information. Not sure if I'll add this.

> * Altogether that might be;
> Armour 5 (4)e***
> = 2 leather armours and 3 other magic armours one which is
> equipped
>
> * Missile could combine ammo via
> Missile 2/30 <- 2 missile weapons with 30 ammo
> * Amulets and Rings should be together or joined on inventory IMO
> * Armour and Shields could be combined, or all armour could be
> just under Armour (usually only have 1 helmet etc so why have
> a sub category for each).
> * Rest of magic items could just be under Magic Items - on full
> screen Nokia I have 5 categories under Money I have to scroll
> down to...

This is not possible with the current approach. The current inventory is
designed to show one category of items at a time. I could perhaps change
it though. I like the idea. So you would have:

Armour (Armour, shield)
Boots (alone or under armour?)
Helmets (alone or under armour?)
Missile (Bow, arrows)
Melee
Jewellery (Amulets, rings)
Magic (scrolls, wands, books)
Money (alone or under jewellery but named valuables?)

> * Perhaps inventory quick key "#" could take you direct to
> previous sub-menu you were in and then pressing left would
> take you back to main category menu? And/or jump straight to
> sub menu of last picked up item in the previous turn.
> * Sub menu does not remember last item highlighted and goes
> straight to bottom item. Annoying for eating mushrooms with
> potions in same sub menu.
> * "Harmless Protection Amulet" might be better so that Protection
> can be seen on inventory screen (rather than "Harmless Amulet of
> Protection" - I know its an amulet by the sub menu and the
> icon displayed bottom left). Old suggestion.
> * When highlighting an item have "right" take you to choice
> menu Use/Drop one/Drop all/Examine but pressing 5 immediately
> Uses the item (eat, equip/unequip etc).
> * Inventory system might be ok, I just have to get used to it
> I guess!

I will add an All (shows all items in a single list) and Equipped (shows
all equipped items) to the inventory menu.

> OTHER
> * A neutral monster being hit and/or going hostile should say
> "The Jackal gets mad!"

Good idea

> * Harmless Amulet of Protection I found had +1 to Def????
> Occurred again - Harmless seems to always give +1 Def.

Hmm... have to look into this.

> * Still have things like weak mushrooms that act just like normal
> mushrooms (no biggie).
> * Dropping item on top of other should now just put it in an
> adjacent square rather than deny it.
> * "You find a Gold coins" on a chest search, should be
> "You find Gold coins"
> * Still no target cycling :)

I know :-/

> * Jellies are too slow and miss too much to be of much threat
> They should have some area of effect attack (-1hp per turn
> per success magic attack, increased slightly for each extra
> jelly on screen but only 1 attack per turn for any group of
> jellies, or corrode melee weapons, or each cloned jelly is
> double its parents speed). Or something else.

Hmm, yes, corrode weapons would be suitable. At the moment a monster can
have only one special attack (jellies have clone), but I've been
thinking of allowing two special attacks per monster (clone and co.rrode
for jellies). This would give more diversity to monsters in general.

> * Jelly XP xploit still exist (children greater and greater xp)
> * Missile fire from secret door to adjacent monster still says
> can't do it (but fixed for monsters not adjacent).
> * When targeting Skeleton that was out of view range game said
> "Unable to target Skeleton" which gives away monster is there

Oops :-)

> * When looking at item that has stairs, or known trap, or chest under
> neath game should say "You see a Club and a chest" etc.

Good point

> * Slow response time off inventory changes coming back to screen
> so not just monster AI slowing things down? Could you possibly
> change the bottom left "@" to a "*" at the very start of each
> input and then change back to "@" on full redraw - or can you
> only do a full redraw? This is to remind player their move is
> being processed? Hmmm sounds like a bad idea actually... will
> slow it down even more!

I'll try a trick to speed up monster updates in between turns. Hopefully
it turns out well.

> NOTES
> * Chests are cool and simple, found one under an item once
> * Can't /rort/ the god bonus going up and down stairs to same
> levels (good)
> * XP shows for missile kills (fixed for magic attacks too?)

Nope, not for magic yet.

> * Getting gifts for each level up = good
> * Can rort items by going up/down stairs (hard to avoid this exploit)
> * Game is a little easier esp with neutrals and most traps visible
>
> that'll do for now!

Thanks!

BR,
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:29:44 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> ABCGi wrote:
>>> *SNIP*

>>> Made it to depth 9, xp level 18. Vampire Lord kicked my Warrior
>>> ass (love the Warrior's name!). A lack of magic ability to
>>> teleport, when he was finally challenged by a group of 7 Vampire
>>> Lords, really hurt my Warriors escape! I got 5 of them though.
>>>
>>> * XP does not show for magic kills.
>>> * When examining an item I should be able to press left to go
>>> back to the choice menu (use/drop one etc). Often after I
>>> examine something I want to wear it!
>>> * After equipping an item I would like to go back to the menu
>>> I equipped from as I often then drop the other item. Currently
>>> goes back to the game (given the sub menu system I would prefer
>>> to choose when the inventory closes and not have it happen
>>> automatically).
>>> * Still can't see through traps.
>>> * Bow and arrow still way over powered - this should not be based
>>> on the players total Attack rating since it includes the wielded
>>> melee weapon.
>>> * IDEA - add unaware/aware state. when aware of PC monster becomes
>>> bold/highlighted, this allows sneaking up etc. Adds element of
>>> strategy to choices about who to fire arrows at... on top of
>>> neutral/hostile should be good.
>>> * Chests on their own when looking don't say - "you see a chest".
>>>
>>> Great game!
>>

>> Slight advantage to graphical version, can see traps underneath objects.
>>
>> Having great fun, found a Deadly Fencers Cloak - which almost sounded
>> like a proper unique object but in fact it was just a couple of
>> prefixes. Nice work!
>>
>> As reported previously, it does seem some of the prefixes are
>> mismatched - found a Disenchanted Magic Amulet of Protection
>> which was +1 to Def and -1 to magic.
>

> * Save game resulted in (Ranger, depth 5, everytime tried to save);
> Saving game...
> Error: null

Damn. Why? It seems you get a null pointer exception of some sort. I'll
add more debug output to the player message log if something goes wrong.

> * How come I died?
> You miss the Wraith
> You died!

Wierd. Can't explain why. Did you get another message after that? My
guess is that due to some changes in the attack code messages are shown
in the wrong order. I'll have a look at this.

> * Interesting with the equipping of wands and books, now have to;
> + spend a turn unequipping the missile weapon (if equipped)
> + spend a turn unequipping any equipped wand
> + spend a turn equipping a new book (if not on the one you want)
> + Press 0 to aim and cast the book spell
> Potentially a max of 4 turns! It really makes you think about which
> wand or book to leave equipped and makes scrolls and potions more useful.
> It also means a Ranger must rely less on magic and more on missiles as
> is should be the case.
>
> * However having to go into the inventory and unequip a wand to
> use your book is a pain. Or to unequip your bow to use a wand.
> And then re-equip the bow to use it etc.
> Better the target interface had;
> 0 - to start targeting with active equipped item (either bow/wand/book)
> * - to bring up menu to change active equipped item (costs a turn)
> # - is left to still be able to do target cycling
> 5 - to target something
> 0 - to cancel
> The last equipped item (bow/wand/book) through the inventory would
> automatically become active. The inventory main menu could show
> an "active" flag next to the category that currently holds the
> active equipped bow/wand/book.

Yeah. This is a bit of a mess. Allowing the player to equip a book or
wand was a bit of a quick hack.

I've been thinking of adding an extra Evoke command on the inventory
menu to allow the player to use wands/books that aren't equipped. Being
able to equip a wand or book is just a way of accessing a book or wand
with fewer key presses.

I'm not sure which is the best way of handling bow, books and wands.

Perhaps multiple '0' would cycle between equipped bow, wand and book?

> * I started a wizard game and he walked up to a visible trap and
> the game said "You found something!" - this then happened again,
> so problem there. Nokia GFX version.

Hmm... I'll have a look at the trap code.

> I once found a chest with an item sitting on it (chest I assume
> is of the same class of map item as a stair or trap). Cool.

Correct. I should probably change this.

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:51:14 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> *SNIP*
>
> * Casting fire at neutral monsters does not make them angry.

Really? They should ge angry if they're hurt.

> * Casting healing scroll at hostile monster should have chance
> to make them neutral.

Good idea.

> * Missing a neutral monster, or even hitting it and doing no
> damage does not make them hostile - intended?

Monsters become hostile only when they receive damage. Not optimal, but
it was a quick fix. :-)

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:38:43 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> *SNIP*
>>
>> * Casting fire at neutral monsters does not make them angry.
>
> Really? They should ge angry if they're hurt.

Retested - you're right. It is only if there is no damage that
they stay neutral.

>> * Casting healing scroll at hostile monster should have chance
>> to make them neutral.
>
> Good idea.
>
>> * Missing a neutral monster, or even hitting it and doing no
>> damage does not make them hostile - intended?
>
> Monsters become hostile only when they receive damage. Not optimal, but
> it was a quick fix. :-)

* Save game null bug coming up a lot now, I can't often save
more than a few times and come back in without it coming
up. Usually around depth 3. Makes the game hard to play in
multiple sessions - so this should be a high priority fix.

* When you save and quit and come back in it resets the bonus
for unvisited depths - xploit.

* Many traps are definitely visible even when they are not found.
I can't disarm these traps till the game says "you found something".
However interesting side point - you can disarm an unfound trap
if an object is sitting on top of it, a possible xploit/feature
that would not of been as easily findable without this other bug!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:42:17 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
*SNIP*
>> * How come I died?
>> You miss the Wraith
>> You died!
>
> Wierd. Can't explain why. Did you get another message after that? My
> guess is that due to some changes in the attack code messages are shown
> in the wrong order. I'll have a look at this.

My guess is the wraith attacked me or drained me and killed me
and I just didn't get the message about the attack (ie the dieing
code came first).

>> * Interesting with the equipping of wands and books, now have to;
>> + spend a turn unequipping the missile weapon (if equipped)
>> + spend a turn unequipping any equipped wand
>> + spend a turn equipping a new book (if not on the one you want)
>> + Press 0 to aim and cast the book spell
>> Potentially a max of 4 turns! It really makes you think about which
>> wand or book to leave equipped and makes scrolls and potions more useful.
>> It also means a Ranger must rely less on magic and more on missiles as
>> is should be the case.
>>
>> * However having to go into the inventory and unequip a wand to
>> use your book is a pain. Or to unequip your bow to use a wand.
>> And then re-equip the bow to use it etc.
>> Better the target interface had;
>> 0 - to start targeting with active equipped item (either bow/wand/book)
>> * - to bring up menu to change active equipped item (costs a turn)
>> # - is left to still be able to do target cycling
>> 5 - to target something
>> 0 - to cancel
>> The last equipped item (bow/wand/book) through the inventory would
>> automatically become active. The inventory main menu could show
>> an "active" flag next to the category that currently holds the
>> active equipped bow/wand/book.
>
> Yeah. This is a bit of a mess. Allowing the player to equip a book or
> wand was a bit of a quick hack.
>
> I've been thinking of adding an extra Evoke command on the inventory
> menu to allow the player to use wands/books that aren't equipped. Being
> able to equip a wand or book is just a way of accessing a book or wand
> with fewer key presses.
>
> I'm not sure which is the best way of handling bow, books and wands.

You could make the wands "usable" like scrolls (since they are different
to scrolls in that they are more than one use).

> Perhaps multiple '0' would cycle between equipped bow, wand and book?

This would be nice, and when it got to book and you pressed it again
that would be quit (the current 0 function when pressed again as you
need some way to quit targeting).

>> * I started a wizard game and he walked up to a visible trap and
>> the game said "You found something!" - this then happened again,
>> so problem there. Nokia GFX version.
>
> Hmm... I'll have a look at the trap code.

See other post for more about traps.

>> I once found a chest with an item sitting on it (chest I assume
>> is of the same class of map item as a stair or trap). Cool.
>>
> Correct. I should probably change this.

I don't mind it :)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:47:41 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>> *SNIP*
>>
>>> Ok, I'll have a look at the issues/suggestions you mentioned once I
>>> get back to a computer after my extended weekend holiday.
>>
>> Sweeeeet! No show stoppers so far.
>>
>> * CORRECTION: Traps can be invisible in ASCII version, just stepped
>> on one! But most seem pre-visible. this might be same for gfx version
>
> Traps may be triggered by careless monsters. Perhaps this is what has
> happened? Mayble I'll have the monsters cheat, avoiding traps altogether,

No this is not it. I like that they trip traps - perhaps there
should be a message when a monster trips a trap ("you hear a
commotion").

>> Some ideas for the inventory display (just examples and ideas,
>> use whatever takes fancy);
>>
>> * Show unique item count in brackets (where any stacks exist) ie
>> Missile 35 (2) <- made up of 30 arrows and 5 flaming arrows
>> This might just be limited to Comestible and Missile and Money?
>
> Good idea!
>
>> * Show "e" if any items in category are equipped
>> Melee 3 e
>
> I might add this as well.
>
>> * Show * for each magic enhanced item in category
>> Helmet 4 **
>
> This is not as important information. Not sure if I'll add this.

True.

>> * Altogether that might be;
>> Armour 5 (4)e***
>> = 2 leather armours and 3 other magic armours one which is
>> equipped
>>
>> * Missile could combine ammo via
>> Missile 2/30 <- 2 missile weapons with 30 ammo
>> * Amulets and Rings should be together or joined on inventory IMO
>> * Armour and Shields could be combined, or all armour could be
>> just under Armour (usually only have 1 helmet etc so why have
>> a sub category for each).
>
> > * Rest of magic items could just be under Magic Items - on full
> > screen Nokia I have 5 categories under Money I have to scroll
> > down to...
>
> This is not possible with the current approach. The current inventory is
> designed to show one category of items at a time. I could perhaps change
> it though. I like the idea. So you would have:
>
> Armour (Armour, shield)
> Boots (alone or under armour?)
> Helmets (alone or under armour?)
> Missile (Bow, arrows)
> Melee
> Jewellery (Amulets, rings)
> Magic (scrolls, wands, books)
> Money (alone or under jewellery but named valuables?)

Yeah good, all will fit on one screen.

>> * Perhaps inventory quick key "#" could take you direct to
>> previous sub-menu you were in and then pressing left would
>> take you back to main category menu? And/or jump straight to
>> sub menu of last picked up item in the previous turn.
>> * Sub menu does not remember last item highlighted and goes
>> straight to bottom item. Annoying for eating mushrooms with
>> potions in same sub menu.
>> * "Harmless Protection Amulet" might be better so that Protection
>> can be seen on inventory screen (rather than "Harmless Amulet of
>> Protection" - I know its an amulet by the sub menu and the
>> icon displayed bottom left). Old suggestion.
>> * When highlighting an item have "right" take you to choice
>> menu Use/Drop one/Drop all/Examine but pressing 5 immediately
>> Uses the item (eat, equip/unequip etc).
>> * Inventory system might be ok, I just have to get used to it
>> I guess!
>
> I will add an All (shows all items in a single list) and Equipped (shows
> all equipped items) to the inventory menu.

Nice, they should be at the top IMO.

>> OTHER
>> * A neutral monster being hit and/or going hostile should say
>> "The Jackal gets mad!"
>
> Good idea
>
>> * Harmless Amulet of Protection I found had +1 to Def????
>> Occurred again - Harmless seems to always give +1 Def.
>
> Hmm... have to look into this.

Many examples of this sort of thing.

>> * Still have things like weak mushrooms that act just like normal
>> mushrooms (no biggie).
>> * Dropping item on top of other should now just put it in an
>> adjacent square rather than deny it.
>> * "You find a Gold coins" on a chest search, should be
>> "You find Gold coins"
>> * Still no target cycling :)
>
> I know :-/
>
>> * Jellies are too slow and miss too much to be of much threat
>> They should have some area of effect attack (-1hp per turn
>> per success magic attack, increased slightly for each extra
>> jelly on screen but only 1 attack per turn for any group of
>> jellies, or corrode melee weapons, or each cloned jelly is
>> double its parents speed). Or something else.
>
> Hmm, yes, corrode weapons would be suitable. At the moment a monster can
> have only one special attack (jellies have clone), but I've been
> thinking of allowing two special attacks per monster (clone and co.rrode
> for jellies). This would give more diversity to monsters in general.
>
>> * Jelly XP xploit still exist (children greater and greater xp)
>> * Missile fire from secret door to adjacent monster still says
>> can't do it (but fixed for monsters not adjacent).
>> * When targeting Skeleton that was out of view range game said
>> "Unable to target Skeleton" which gives away monster is there
>
> Oops :-)
>
>> * When looking at item that has stairs, or known trap, or chest under
>> neath game should say "You see a Club and a chest" etc.
>
> Good point

Also some types of door (a jammed door) do not say what they are
when looking at it. And pressing 5 on it does not attempt to open it.

>> * Slow response time off inventory changes coming back to screen
>> so not just monster AI slowing things down? Could you possibly
>> change the bottom left "@" to a "*" at the very start of each
>> input and then change back to "@" on full redraw - or can you
>> only do a full redraw? This is to remind player their move is
>> being processed? Hmmm sounds like a bad idea actually... will
>> slow it down even more!
>
> I'll try a trick to speed up monster updates in between turns. Hopefully
> it turns out well.
>
>> NOTES
>> * Chests are cool and simple, found one under an item once
>> * Can't /rort/ the god bonus going up and down stairs to same
>> levels (good)
>> * XP shows for missile kills (fixed for magic attacks too?)
>
> Nope, not for magic yet.

Confirmed.

>> * Getting gifts for each level up = good
>> * Can rort items by going up/down stairs (hard to avoid this exploit)
>> * Game is a little easier esp with neutrals and most traps visible
>>
>> that'll do for now!
>>
> Thanks!
>
> BR,
> Björn Bergström