Your question

Not allowing deletion

Tags:
  • Security
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2013 1:05:31 AM

so i reinstall my os and backed up all of my c drive and an additional hdd when i restored them on the new hdd i try to delete the old c folder and it says i dont have permission but im the only user on this computer and it will not allow me to delete this folder at all i tried to go in and allow myself full access but yet can not delete this folder can anyone give me some insight on this and a way to get rid of this restored c folder thank you in advance

More about : allowing deletion

January 12, 2013 1:23:46 AM

Did you format the drive before you did this re-install?

I think this could be your problem. You see the old C: drive is in a way registered to your old OS install, and will not allow itself to be deleted by an unknown (the new C:)  user.

If it's not too late, and you still have the important data backed up, try doing a quick format of the drive and re-install windows on it, this way the drive will be completely empty for your install.
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:37:11 AM

i formatted both drives prior to installing my os on it and i had some movies and games that i backed up only difference is i restored into my s drive
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 1:38:13 AM

and i used same admin name for the installation
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 1:42:57 AM

Run command prompt as administator, (assuming that your drive with backed up files is D:\) type the following:
Quote:
icacls D:\* /reset /t /c /l

This will reset the ownership/permissions on all the files on D:\ drive. You'll have to wait some time, depending on your HDD speed/amount of files after which you'll get a message informing you on how many files have been successfully updated.
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:55:22 AM

ok so the file are on my s drive now labeled in folder c so when i go to it it looks like this s/c so u want me to put icacls s:\* /t/c/l in the command prompt and that will allow me to deleete that c folder correct
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 1:56:58 AM

Correct.

Edit: icacls s:\* /reset /t /c /l

Reset flag is the most important one.
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:57:23 AM

sorry but how do i get to the command prompt
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 1:58:50 AM

Press start menu, type in CMD in search, right click cmd.exe and click run as administrator.
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:59:41 AM

says the file name, directory name or volume label syntaxs is incorrect
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 2:01:59 AM

Try
Quote:
S:
icacls * /reset /t /c /l

(don't forget spaces)
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:05:16 AM

man i cant get this *** to work im inputting s:\ icacls * /reset/t/c/l and says not recognized as internal or external command
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:06:49 AM

c:\ windows\system32> s:\ icacls * /reset/t/c/l and i keep getting the internal external issue
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 2:11:36 AM

Have you run command prompt as administrator and did you put spaces between /reset /t /c /l

Window title should be 'Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe' when you open it, then as previously stated, type S: press enter and then type icacls * /reset /t /c /l
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:21:00 AM

yes window title is labeled as that but only get the c:\windows\system32 where im allowed to write prompts in
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:23:38 AM

damn took me a lil while but thank for that i got it working right now hopefully this works thats the type of *** i need to learn how to do mess wit command prompt when it comes to putting a comp together no prob when it comes to software forget about it
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:25:27 AM

still not allowing me to delete and it was tellin me my recycling bin was corrupted
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 2:31:20 AM

To fix corrupted recycling bin, go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View then select Show hidden files, folders and drives and untick following 3 options that start with Hide right below. After that, open S:\ and delete $Recycle.Bin folder (shift + delete) and reboot PC.
m
l