Not allowing deletion

yauny32

Honorable
May 19, 2012
so i reinstall my os and backed up all of my c drive and an additional hdd when i restored them on the new hdd i try to delete the old c folder and it says i dont have permission but im the only user on this computer and it will not allow me to delete this folder at all i tried to go in and allow myself full access but yet can not delete this folder can anyone give me some insight on this and a way to get rid of this restored c folder thank you in advance

warhead0

Distinguished
Did you format the drive before you did this re-install?

I think this could be your problem. You see the old C: drive is in a way registered to your old OS install, and will not allow itself to be deleted by an unknown (the new C:) user.

If it's not too late, and you still have the important data backed up, try doing a quick format of the drive and re-install windows on it, this way the drive will be completely empty for your install.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Run command prompt as administator, (assuming that your drive with backed up files is D:\) type the following:
icacls D:\* /reset /t /c /l
This will reset the ownership/permissions on all the files on D:\ drive. You'll have to wait some time, depending on your HDD speed/amount of files after which you'll get a message informing you on how many files have been successfully updated.

yauny32

Honorable
May 19, 2012
ok so the file are on my s drive now labeled in folder c so when i go to it it looks like this s/c so u want me to put icacls s:\* /t/c/l in the command prompt and that will allow me to deleete that c folder correct

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Have you run command prompt as administrator and did you put spaces between /reset /t /c /l

Window title should be 'Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe' when you open it, then as previously stated, type S: press enter and then type icacls * /reset /t /c /l

yauny32

Honorable
May 19, 2012
damn took me a lil while but thank for that i got it working right now hopefully this works thats the type of *** i need to learn how to do mess wit command prompt when it comes to putting a comp together no prob when it comes to software forget about it

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
To fix corrupted recycling bin, go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View then select Show hidden files, folders and drives and untick following 3 options that start with Hide right below. After that, open S:\ and delete $Recycle.Bin folder (shift + delete) and reboot PC.