The most irritating Monitor problem in the world (LG)

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi,

I have a LG Flatron W2453TQ 24" LCD monitor (yes, this is a monitor problem - I wasn't sure about which category to put this in). In every other way it works perfectly. But it has one problem which makes me want to put my fist through it. And please note - despite how it will immediately sound, it is not connected to my Windows power saving settings!

Basically, if left alone for more than about 20 minutes without any activity everything goes black, the words "Digital power saving mode" appear on screen in white against the black and then the display turns off. The power light on the front right softly pulsates. And thats it. It won't turn on without removing the power chord first and waiting about a minute before turning it on again (and that does not always work). Simply moving the mouse or otherwise waking Windows again (if its gone to sleep too) doesn't wake the monitor out of its stupor.

It has nothing to do with the Windows power saving settings, as I've already tried disabling the monitor related function completely. And regardless, Windows is not the only OS affected. Sometimes it does all this just after the BIOS information when booting up. I can tell the PC has got to the Windows profile menu from the hard drive light and if I enter my password blind and hit return I can get into windows fine (I hear my Windows start sound effect), but the monitor remains in digital power saving mode, blackened with its pulsating power light. And then I have to take out the monitor's power chord, wait, put it back and reset.

I've contacted LG several times and they can't grasp that I'm not talking about the Windows power saving settings.

Sometimes it doesn't require any inactivity to go into this mode at all and it just happens if the monitor stops receiving a signal. For example, its a nightmare updating graphics drivers because whilst its either uninstalling the current drivers or installing the new ones, there is a short period where the screen goes black. At this point the monitor can enter its digital power saving mode and wont come out of it. I then have no idea at what point the driver installation is and have had to reset windows and done a system restore.

Id love to know if this is a common problem or perhaps indicative of a hardware fault of some kind. Please help!

Many thanks

Matt

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
You said you've tried this across multiple different OSs so I assume that means completely different hardware. Have you tried switching the monitor cable though? Maybe the cable is bad and the monitor is never getting the "wake up" signal.

If that doesn't work, I'd return it for a new one before you do put your fist through it, because that would drive me nuts.

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Well, I've only tried it on my PC as its the only one I have access to. When I say it has the same issue in diffierent OSs, I just mean it goes to sleep in Windows 7 and also in DOS, i.e during the initial start up screens where it does the POST, checks the RAM, allows you to access the BIOS and then goes to 'Starting Windows'. Maybe thats not actually DOS anymore, I don't know. I'm showing my age.

So you think it could be a cable issue? Sometimes it wakes up. Just now it was sleeping when I turned the computer on and so I turned it off completely and left it for a while at (what I presume) was the profile log in screen. I woke the computer up, turned the monitor on and hey presto, it came on fine.

Very strange. It seems quite random as to whether or not I need to take the power cable out first.

forum1

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I have the problem too.

LG - W2453TQ

DVI Power Save Mode

Call to LG support and request a DVI recover file driver, I experiencing problems with monitor repeatedly entering power save mode.

How to Disable DVI Power Save Mode

I have friend that work with the same monitor in his work and he too experience the same problem. LG support is equal to zero and will never buy monitor from LG.

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
i had a 27" LG that had the same problem but only after going into standbye mode after like a windows update or sometimes @ night. i checked my power settings in windows a dozen times and nothing. it would not come out of sleep/standbye mode. full powerdown required to resolve.