[Crawl] Where should i go next?

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 20, 2005 1:51:24 PM

I don't know where i should go now.I finished the orcish mines and the snake
pits and reached the bottom of the vault,but retreated.I see lots of portals
in Hell,Abys and Pandemonium.

Should i try the vault again or use one of this portal?Should i try the
swamp or would it be wiser to go deeper in the maindungeon untill i get a
source of poison resitance?Any other advice what i should try?

Here is the dump of my troll:

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Gorn the Shatterer (Troll)
(Level 18 Fighter)

Play time: 04:42:51 Number of turns: 46550

Experience : 18/320487
Strength 37 Dexterity 10 Intelligence 4
Hit Points : 164 Magic Points : 12
AC : 19 Evasion : 25 Shield : 0
GP : 637

You are on level 21.
You worship Trog.
Trog is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +8,+4 great flail of protection (weapon)
c - the +5,+4 spiked flail "Wemifufesuf W"
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It glows with mutagenic radiation.

C - a +6,+6 giant spiked club of piercing
N - the +2,+1 hammer of Dawn
Occasionally upon striking a foe it will discharge some electrical energy
and cause terrible harm.
It affects your evasion (+4).
It makes you susceptible to fire.
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from magic.
It lets you blink.

Armour
i - a +3 animal skin (worn)
t - a +2 dwarven cloak (worn)
E - a +2 wizard's hat (worn)
Magical devices
g - a wand of healing
j - a wand of disintegration
I - a wand of teleportation
S - a wand of polymorph other
Comestibles
M - 6 bread rations
Scrolls
p - 7 scrolls of detect curse
v - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
x - 13 scrolls of remove curse
A - a scroll of vorpalise weapon
D - 9 scrolls of identify
F - 16 scrolls of teleportation
J - 5 scrolls of blinking
Jewellery
d - a ring of protection from magic
e - a cursed ring of invisibility
f - an amulet of conservation
h - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
k - a +2 ring of dexterity
m - an amulet of warding
n - a ring of sustain abilities
q - a ring of wizardry
r - a +5 ring of evasion (left hand)
s - an amulet of resist mutation
u - a ring of regeneration
z - a +2 ring of strength
B - a ring of regeneration
H - a ring of levitation
L - a ring of strength
O - an amulet of clarity
P - a ring of wizardry
R - a ring of teleport control
T - an amulet of conservation
U - an amulet of controlled flight
V - a ring of fire
W - a ring of protection from fire
Z - a +2 ring of evasion (right hand)
Potions
l - 5 potions of might
o - 2 potions of invisibility
w - 4 potions of restore abilities
y - 7 potions of speed
K - 3 potions of levitation
Q - 5 potions of healing
X - 2 potions of heal wounds
Books
Y - a papyrus book
Magical staves
b - a rod of destruction
Miscellaneous
G - a serpentine rune of Zot

You have 7 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 11 Fighting
+ Level 16 Maces & Flails
+ Level 16 Dodging
+ Level 3 Stealth
+ Level 13 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 2 Evocations

You have 17 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your muscles are strong (Str +2).
You are agile (Dex +1).
You digest meat inefficiently.
You can translocate small distances instantaneously.
You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
Your vision is a little blurry.
You are partially covered in white scales (AC + 1).
You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC + 1).

More about : crawl

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:51:25 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:51:24 +0200, "Adrian Fänger"
<Faenger@heliweb.de> wrote:

> c - the +5,+4 spiked flail "Wemifufesuf W"
> It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
> It glows with mutagenic radiation.

> Mutations & Other Weirdness
>Your muscles are strong (Str +2).
>You are agile (Dex +1).
>You digest meat inefficiently.
>You can translocate small distances instantaneously.
>You have a pair of small horns on your head.
>You tend to lose your temper in combat.
>Your vision is a little blurry.
>You are partially covered in white scales (AC + 1).
>You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC + 1).

You've been using Wemifufesuf W, haven't you?

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

"R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:51:24 +0200, "Adrian Fänger"
> <Faenger@heliweb.de> wrote:
>

> > c - the +5,+4 spiked flail "Wemifufesuf W"
> > It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
> > It glows with mutagenic radiation.
>
> > Mutations & Other Weirdness
> >Your muscles are strong (Str +2).
> >You are agile (Dex +1).
> >You digest meat inefficiently.
> >You can translocate small distances instantaneously.
> >You have a pair of small horns on your head.
> >You tend to lose your temper in combat.
> >Your vision is a little blurry.
> >You are partially covered in white scales (AC + 1).
> >You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC + 1).
>
> You've been using Wemifufesuf W, haven't you?

No,the all come from Glow,potions of Mutation (I never found a potion of
remove Mutation) i drunk to remove fast metabolism from my troll and a
shapeshifter corpse a accidently ate while raging(the lose your temper
throwed me into rage while hungry and i eat to prevent that i starve)
June 20, 2005 3:41:59 PM

Adrian Fänger wrote:
> "R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:51:24 +0200, "Adrian Fänger"
>><Faenger@heliweb.de> wrote:

>>You've been using [the mutagenic randart you're carrying], haven't you?
>>
> No,the all come from Glow,potions of Mutation (I never found a potion of
> remove Mutation) i drunk to remove fast metabolism from my troll and a
> shapeshifter corpse a accidently ate while raging(the lose your temper
> throwed me into rage while hungry and i eat to prevent that i starve)

Mutagenic flesh provides no nutrition.

Erik
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:05:27 PM

"Erik Piper" <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D 961qp$8as$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Adrian Fänger wrote:
> > "R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> >>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:51:24 +0200, "Adrian Fänger"
> >><Faenger@heliweb.de> wrote:
>
> >>You've been using [the mutagenic randart you're carrying], haven't you?
> >>
> > No,the all come from Glow,potions of Mutation (I never found a potion of
> > remove Mutation) i drunk to remove fast metabolism from my troll and a
> > shapeshifter corpse a accidently ate while raging(the lose your temper
> > throwed me into rage while hungry and i eat to prevent that i starve)
>
> Mutagenic flesh provides no nutrition.

I was raged ,i couldn't see what it was and luckly i didn't starved to dead
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:09:38 PM

Adrian Fänger wrote:
> I don't know where i should go now.I finished the orcish mines and the snake
> pits and reached the bottom of the vault,but retreated.I see lots of portals
> in Hell,Abys and Pandemonium.

Have you done the Elven Halls yet? Even with no missile attack, it
should be doable for you as a level 18 troll, and all in all easier than
the remaining paths forward. Keep an amulet of conservation as your
default neckwear during the visit, though, unless you want to either do
it without potions and scrolls, or see many your potions and scrolls
destroyed during the visit.

To give you some idea of what I mean by "doable": I just cleared it last
night with a level 14-through-17 Trog-worshipping Deep Elf Fighter
(yeah, I'm weird). He had the Power of the Well-Trained Hand Crossbow on
his side, a very nice katana, and a randart weapon with with

> Should i try the vault again or use one of this portal?

Vault:8 is pretty tough, though it's also very rewarding. But if you
really haven't touched the Elven Halls, that would, at least at its top
if not across the board, be a path of lesser resistance.

> Should i try the
> swamp or would it be wiser to go deeper in the maindungeon untill i get a
> source of poison resitance?

There are three "ways to do the Swamp" (figuratively of
course--literally you do the Swamp by doing the Swamp), with the order
from easiest to hardest being IMO

a. Have poison resistance
b. Have confusion resistance
c. Have some extra potions of healing

Options b and c mean being be very careful every time you see a wasp --
paralysis from a wasp sting can mean instadeath.

Option c means being very careful every time you see a swamp drake. One
inattentive moment and you're a floating paperweight.

Trolls are pretty tough customers and you have an amulet of clarity, so
you'll do OK anyway. But you'll have trouble finding food without poison
resistance.

One nice thing about the Swamp, though, is that you have a pretty good
chance of getting a swamp dragon hide if you make sure not to devote the
swamp dragon corpses to Trog. Swamp Dragon Armour gives poison
resistance. It's heavy armour, though, so you'll get a reduced benefit
from your Dodging skill and start training your Armour skill (this is
also a valid way to go, but it's a bit tricky).

> a - a +8,+4 great flail of protection (weapon)

Offense is the best defense. I'd probably dump this, although OTOH it's
not like you'll run into weight problems with a Troll.

> c - the +5,+4 spiked flail "Wemifufesuf W"
> It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
> It glows with mutagenic radiation.

This, on the other hand, is junk through and through. You've already got
a good one-handed weapon if you want to punch, and you've already got a
great weapon in your vorpal giant spiked club if you just plain want to
do great damage with your main weapon.

In short, I'd probably drop W W, put the GSC on a, put the Hammer of
Dawn on b, and put the GF of protection on c.

> Armour
> i - a +3 animal skin (worn)

Wow... no robes of foo resistance out there?

> Magical devices
> g - a wand of healing
> j - a wand of disintegration
> I - a wand of teleportation
> S - a wand of polymorph other

Determine your charge counts.

You have a strength of *thirty-seven*... carry more wands if you've got
them.

> Scrolls
> p - 7 scrolls of detect curse
> v - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
> x - 13 scrolls of remove curse
> A - a scroll of vorpalise weapon
> D - 9 scrolls of identify
> F - 16 scrolls of teleportation
> J - 5 scrolls of blinking

Stash all but a few of teleportation, a couple of blinking, a few of
identify, and a couple of remove curse.

> Jewellery

> k - a +2 ring of dexterity
> q - a ring of wizardry
> z - a +2 ring of strength
> u - a ring of regeneration [duplicate]
> V - a ring of fire

Junkpile these...

> n - a ring of sustain abilities

....and stash this (it's only really useful if you have the deterioration
mutation).

> L - a ring of strength
> W - a ring of protection from fire
> Z - a +2 ring of evasion (right hand)

If the ring of strength is, say, +4 or higher, use it and dump the small
evasion boost. Otherwise... I just might go for the fire resistance in
place of the evasion boost if I were you.

> Potions
> l - 5 potions of might
> o - 2 potions of invisibility
> w - 4 potions of restore abilities
> y - 7 potions of speed
> K - 3 potions of levitation
> Q - 5 potions of healing
> X - 2 potions of heal wounds

Stash the Restore Abilities and Levitation for when they're actually
needed. For the rest, reduce your counts considerably; the more you
carry, the more can be destroyed by ice attacks. If you're having
trouble finding enough slots sometimes (and since you're all the way up
to Z in your inventory, that may be the case), stash Might, Speed, or
Invisibility; you don't need all three all the time, especially since
you're a Troglodyte.

> Magical staves
> b - a rod of destruction

W00t!

> Miscellaneous
> G - a serpentine rune of Zot

Don't forget to stash this.

> + Level 3 Stealth

As a troll, you don't get much advantage from Stealth and you won't
train it very fast anyway; turn it off.

> + Level 2 Evocations

Rods rock. Trolls are dumb at them, but... rods rock, so Evocations are
worth training anyway.

> You can translocate small distances instantaneously.

Blink and destroy!

> Your vision is a little blurry.

....but due to this one, I'd still quaff a !oCM in your place if I run
into one. Scrolls of blinking save lives... but not when they have a
fail rate.

Erik
!