Dell Power Supply

Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
least a 300W power supply. I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to find
any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage the 8300
ships with? Thanks.
16 answers Last reply
More about dell power supply

    That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.

    Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    > Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
    > least a 300W power supply. I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to
    find
    > any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage the
    8300
    > ships with? Thanks.

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:49:15 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.

    For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
    so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...

    >Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.

    So said information may or may not be accurate?

    =====
    It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something
    and letting that belief be real enough to change your life.
    It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.
    =====

    I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
    available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
    Dimension 8300 is here:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm

    'If you teach a man to fish...'
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    "Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:49:15 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    > <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.
    >
    > For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
    > so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...
    >

    > >Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.
    >
    > So said information may or may not be accurate?
    >
    > =====
    > It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something
    > and letting that belief be real enough to change your life.
    > It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.
    > =====

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:16 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
    >available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
    >Dimension 8300 is here:
    >
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm
    >
    >'If you teach a man to fish...'

    Hey, thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

    ----
    Time for some thrillin' heroics.
    ----

    Clone power supplies have a long history of not providing
    wattage as claimed. Many are so poorly constructed as to self
    destruct when tested:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/index.html

    But then they are not selling to engineers in Dell. They
    are selling to bean counters who only look at one numerical
    spec - price. Clone system power supplies are often missing
    many essential functions that, for example, keep power supply
    from destroying motherboard, disk drive, and RAM.

    Often a 200 or 230 watt power supply in a real computer
    system is equivalent to the 300+ watt supply sold to clone
    assemblers.

    Then it gets even more interesting:
    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power/default.asp

    A minimally acceptable power supply will provide a long list
    of industry required specs that it conforms to. Too many
    clone system supplies don't have these functions - therefore
    will not provide this list. A abridged example of those
    numbers that inferior supplies cannot meet:
    Specification compliance: ATX 2.03 & ATX12V v1.1
    Acoustics noise 25.8dBA typical at 70w, 30cm
    Short circuit protection on all outputs
    Over voltage protection
    Over power protection
    100% hi-pot test
    100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
    PFC harmonics compliance: EN61000-3-2 + A1 + A2
    EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
    Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
    Hold up time, full load: 16ms. typical
    Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: >65%
    Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
    Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
    Ripple/noise: 1%
    MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: >100k hrs

    Is Dell supply sufficiently sized for the video card? That
    is information that a 3.5 digit mulitmeter - essential test
    equipment - could provide.

    "Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:49:15 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    > <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >> That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.
    >
    > For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
    > so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...
    >
    >> Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies
    >> conservatively.
    >
    > So said information may or may not be accurate?

    "Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >>That information is on page 105 of your User's Manual.

    >For those of us who don't have the manual handy, would you please be
    >so kind to pass along that information? Asking politely and all...

    >>Note: Dell has a history of rating their power supplies conservatively.

    >So said information may or may not be accurate?

    Not exactly. Nor are video card manufacturers totally innocent
    of *over*-stating the power requirements for their video cards.

    The fact of the matter is that a lot of people here, when asked
    that question whether or not Dell's 2xxx/4xxx/8xxx power supply
    is up to the requirement stated by some video card maker [it
    seems *always* to be a video card maker], have answered with a
    list of the tons of stuff, including the video card in question,
    that have been running happily on their Dell with its 250W-rated
    power supply. Ergo, Dell /rates/ their power supplies
    conservatively, which is not an inaccuracy, but a term of the
    engineering art that a real engineer would understand.

    >It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something
    >and letting that belief be real enough to change your life.
    >It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.

    Putting full faith and credit into copy put out by computer
    accessory manufacturers is something even a Celestial Engineer
    should shy away from.
    --
    OJ III

    Glad to help. How I wished that people would have shown me how to find the
    answers to my questions. I would have climbed the learning curve so much
    faster.
    --

    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:16 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    > <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
    > >available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
    > >Dimension 8300 is here:
    > >
    > >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm
    > >
    > >'If you teach a man to fish...'
    >
    > Hey, thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
    >
    > ----
    > Time for some thrillin' heroics.
    > ----

    "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message news:10i1hkbnbfc9033@corp.supernews.com...
    > Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
    > least a 300W power supply.

    Many graphics board vendors will say something like "we recommend a
    300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation
    where a number of other internal devices are installed". What they are
    actually claiming is that systems with a 300 watt PS are *likely* to have
    enough spare capacity to drive their board. You should be aware of the
    following...

    First of all, just because a system has a 300 watt PS doesn't mean it
    will have enough spare capacity, or for that matter, any spare capacity.
    Even if it did when shipped, it might no longer due to user upgrades
    and additions. Secondly, the PS wattage number doesn't tell the full
    story WRT maximums that shouldn't be exceeded. Thirdly, PS ratings
    are not always accurate.

    I haven't checked it, but the early pages of this look educational:
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=133&p=1

    There are numerous PS reviews online, but here is one page from one:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-09.html

    You can back up and read the whole article, but I'm including it because
    it has a picture of the label on a Zalman PS and said illustrates that one
    should consider the maximums allowed on individual outputs as well as
    the combined maximums on sets of outputs.

    > I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to find
    > any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage
    > the 8300 ships with? Thanks.

    A quick look at the 8300 manual suggests the systems may be equipped
    with a 250W or 305W PS, but that is all I see. It would be wise to have
    a look at the PS itself and confirm the wattage. At which point you could
    go by rules of thumb and other peoples' experiences adjusted for changes
    to your system. Or if you can find proper documentation on the PS and
    come up with numbers for your current & planned components, run some
    calculations to see if you'll be within maximums.

    And to make sure that credit goes where it's due, the Ted who provided the
    great information below on power ratings is another Ted, not me.
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> wrote in message
    > > Am thinking about installing a high end video card. Specs say I need at
    > > least a 300W power supply.
    >
    > Many graphics board vendors will say something like "we recommend a
    > 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation
    > where a number of other internal devices are installed". What they are
    > actually claiming is that systems with a 300 watt PS are *likely* to have
    > enough spare capacity to drive their board. You should be aware of the
    > following...
    >
    > First of all, just because a system has a 300 watt PS doesn't mean it
    > will have enough spare capacity, or for that matter, any spare capacity.
    > Even if it did when shipped, it might no longer due to user upgrades
    > and additions. Secondly, the PS wattage number doesn't tell the full
    > story WRT maximums that shouldn't be exceeded. Thirdly, PS ratings
    > are not always accurate.
    >
    > I haven't checked it, but the early pages of this look educational:
    > http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=133&p=1
    >
    > There are numerous PS reviews online, but here is one page from one:
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-09.html
    >
    > You can back up and read the whole article, but I'm including it because
    > it has a picture of the label on a Zalman PS and said illustrates that one
    > should consider the maximums allowed on individual outputs as well as
    > the combined maximums on sets of outputs.
    >
    > > I have a fairly new 8300, but can't seem to find
    > > any info on the stock power supply. Does any body know what wattage
    > > the 8300 ships with? Thanks.
    >
    > A quick look at the 8300 manual suggests the systems may be equipped
    > with a 250W or 305W PS, but that is all I see. It would be wise to have
    > a look at the PS itself and confirm the wattage. At which point you could
    > go by rules of thumb and other peoples' experiences adjusted for changes
    > to your system. Or if you can find proper documentation on the PS and
    > come up with numbers for your current & planned components, run some
    > calculations to see if you'll be within maximums.

    So what IS the wattage rating, anyway? ... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:16:13 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >Glad to help. How I wished that people would have shown me how to find the
    >answers to my questions. I would have climbed the learning curve so much
    >faster.
    >--
    >Ted Zieglar
    >formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    >

    >"Rick Ramey, Celestial Engineer" <rickramey@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:22:16 -0400, "Ted Zieglar aka \"Rocky\""
    >> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I don't have an 8300 myself. Owner's manuals for all Dell computers are
    >> >available on Dell's web site. For example, the owner's manual for the
    >> >Dimension 8300 is here:
    >> >
    >> >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/en/index.htm
    >> >
    >> >'If you teach a man to fish...'
    >>
    >> Hey, thanks for the links. Much appreciated.
    >>
    >> ----
    >> Time for some thrillin' heroics.
    >> ----

    I have a 8300 (3.2 Gig) also. It is only a few months old. 250W original
    power supply. I installed, 1x WD360, 2x WD 120 Gig, DVDRom, DVD+R, Floppy,
    extra Lan, SB Audigy2 ZS, and a 9800XT. Everything works 100% bulletproof.

    harrie

    "trum979" <trum979@ccrtc.com> schreef in bericht

    "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci2g5k.psb.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...

    > Dell 8300 P4 3 GHz PC3200
    > 14a/22a/10a (12a peak), max continuous 200w, +5 & +3.3 135w
    > Low system battery warning during boot w/FX 5700LE, but worked fine

    Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:51:41 -0400, Ted <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci2g5k.psb.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
    >
    >> Dell 8300 P4 3 GHz PC3200
    >> 14a/22a/10a (12a peak), max continuous 200w, +5 & +3.3 135w
    >> Low system battery warning during boot w/FX 5700LE, but worked fine
    >
    > Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?

    I tested the battery and it is 3.0 volts. Not sure what minimum should
    be, but somewhere (maybe a news post) someone said that 2.5-3 volts should
    be okay. I still occasionally get that error during boot after putting
    its original FX 5200 video card back in. I have not added anything to the
    machine other than the temporary video card swap. Temporarily connecting
    a second ard drive to it some time ago did not give me any errors.

    So why not replace the system battery? It's a cheap and readily available C2032
    3v lithium battery... Ben Myers

    "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci6ad5.pnk.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:51:41 -0400, Ted <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > > Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?
    >
    > I tested the battery and it is 3.0 volts. Not sure what minimum should
    > be, but somewhere (maybe a news post) someone said that 2.5-3 volts should
    > be okay. I still occasionally get that error during boot after putting
    > its original FX 5200 video card back in. I have not added anything to the
    > machine other than the temporary video card swap. Temporarily connecting
    > a second ard drive to it some time ago did not give me any errors.

    Ah, well you probably realize where I was going with that. I was
    curious whether it was related to the the increased PS loading. If
    it permanently went away after you cut back on the load, that would
    be interesting. FWIW, I do recall seeing similar reports in the Dell
    forums. If memory serves me, suggestions included replacing the
    battery and eliminating external surge protectors. I can't remember
    the logic of the later approach, if there was any to begin with.

    Well, a low battery warning is what it is. The battery is low on juice, even if
    a voltmeter shows 3.0v. It could well be a weak 3.0v with not enough amps to
    satisfy the motherboard... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:04:42 -0400, "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnci6ad5.pnk.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
    >> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:51:41 -0400, Ted <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> > Did you investigate/resolve the low battery warning?
    >>
    >> I tested the battery and it is 3.0 volts. Not sure what minimum should
    >> be, but somewhere (maybe a news post) someone said that 2.5-3 volts should
    >> be okay. I still occasionally get that error during boot after putting
    >> its original FX 5200 video card back in. I have not added anything to the
    >> machine other than the temporary video card swap. Temporarily connecting
    >> a second ard drive to it some time ago did not give me any errors.
    >
    >Ah, well you probably realize where I was going with that. I was
    >curious whether it was related to the the increased PS loading. If
    >it permanently went away after you cut back on the load, that would
    >be interesting. FWIW, I do recall seeing similar reports in the Dell
    >forums. If memory serves me, suggestions included replacing the
    >battery and eliminating external surge protectors. I can't remember
    >the logic of the later approach, if there was any to begin with.

Dell Power Supplies Graphics Cards Computers