GearHead v0.909 released

Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2005 5:44:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

GearHead is a scifi mecha roguelike set in a world recovering from the
near extinction of humanity. Features include random story generation,
detailed NPC interaction, and over 150 different mechanical designs.
Version 0.901 of this game has just been released. Here's the list of
changes:

- Added safety switch for weapons and grenades (backpack.pp)
- Fixed range check error in RedrawTile (sdlmap.pp)
- Updated Linux prettyprinting support, by Michael Deutschmann
- Fixed memo bug in TS_XRAN_a-A-_MeetMe.txt
- NPCs harder to affect with Performance multiple times (skilluse.pp)
- Fixed an overflow bug in ASCII mode (ability.pp)
- Performance gives no XP if tired (skilluse.pp)
- Fixed some problems with compiling for SDL
- Some more code-cleaning by Michael Deutschmann
- Can only set the sprite for character, not mecha (pcaction.pp)
- Removed some debugging code (arenascript.pp)
- Numerous bug fixes and improvements by Michael Deutschmann
- Fixed bug in IfNoObjections procedure (arenascript.pp)
- Played with hyper, blast attribute costs (ghweapon.pp)
- All items now have descriptions, thanks to Tung Nguyen
- Fixed many spelling errors with util provided by Malte Helmert
- XRAN episodes "Hunter", "Pricey Head" edited to v0.901 standard
- Wandering artifact bug hopefully fixed (backpack.pp)
- AWOL robot bug has been fixed (pcaction.pp)
- Added Tung Nguyen's mouse handling patch (sdlmenus.pp)
- Added loot tracking patch by Michael Deutschmann
- Added speed improvement patch by Michalis Kamburelis and Michael
Deutschmann
- Can now make called shots even when rotating (pcaction.pp)
- Pillaging disabled if scene type has NOPILLAGE tag (arenaplay.pp)
- Fixed FPCv2 compatability issues
- Destroyed weapon addons no longer work
(damage.pp,locale.pp,effects.pp)
- Directory assistance will find NPCs based on job or keyword
(interact.pp)
- Will now get most rumors at start of conversation (arenascript.pp)
- Will automatically pillage after winning mission (arenaplay.pp)
- Can install things into empty storage modules (menugear.pp)
- Double Buffering specified in SetVideoMode (sdlgfx.pp)
- XRAN episodes "Investigation", "KnowTooMuch", "DoctorKim", "InDanger"
have been edited to v0.901 standard
- Can redial the last phone number by entering * (pcaction.pp)
- Fixed bug in "WaitingForYou", "FaceYourEnemy" plots
- ScreenHeight of 24 may now be okay (???) (congfx.pp)
- GearHead should be more easily compilable using different releases of
FPC
and across different OS's, thanks to Michalis Kamburelis
- XRAN episodes "SchoolPals", "SisterMoney" have been edited
- Removed the memory usage message (congfx.pp)
- Edited the Daum2 again

You can download this release from all the usual places.

Home page:
http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/...

ASCII mode for Windows:
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-doswin...

With graphics for Windows:
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlwin...
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlima...
Download both files, then unzip to exactly the same place with
directory structure intact.

Pre-compiled graphical versions for Linux and FreeBSD are available at
the download site:
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/sdl_linux_read...
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0908-sdl-li...
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0908-sdl-fr...
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlima...
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org

FreePascal source code, for Linux and others:
http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0901-src.zi...

- Joseph Hewitt
--
DeadCold >
http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/deadcold/...

More about : gearhead 909 released

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:40:39 AM

I like to play in ascii-mode, but the win32 console,
*especially* the freepascal win32 console implementation,
is awfully slow on old systems, i.e. my old p90-laptop.
I have just tried to compile gh909 with fpc 2.0 for dos,
compiles just fine and really is a lot faster (win98).
i'm not sure if it runs without problems on xp though,
i dont have access to a winxp system at the moment.

--
s.waldmann
Anonymous

sebastian waldmann wrote:

> I like to play in ascii-mode, but the win32 console,
> *especially* the freepascal win32 console implementation,
> is awfully slow on old systems, i.e. my old p90-laptop.
> I have just tried to compile gh909 with fpc 2.0 for dos,
> compiles just fine and really is a lot faster (win98).
> i'm not sure if it runs without problems on xp though,
> i dont have access to a winxp system at the moment.

Is DoomRL slow for you? If it's not, then that's the fault of using FP
Crt. A patch for GearHead that substitutes FP Crt for the helluvalot
faster FP Video may be available sometime this summer.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

sebastian waldmann wrote:
> I like to play in ascii-mode, but the win32 console,
> *especially* the freepascal win32 console implementation,
> is awfully slow on old systems, i.e. my old p90-laptop.
> I have just tried to compile gh909 with fpc 2.0 for dos,
> compiles just fine and really is a lot faster (win98).
> i'm not sure if it runs without problems on xp though,
> i dont have access to a winxp system at the moment.

It runs fine on WinXP Personal, but probably still won't work on WinXP
Home. GH2 is going to use the video unit instead of the crt unit so it
should be much faster.

- Joseph Hewitt.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:51:13 AM

"Joe Hewitt" <pyrrho12@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>Home page:
>http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/...
>
>ASCII mode for Windows:
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-doswin...
>
>With graphics for Windows:
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlwin...
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlima...
>Download both files, then unzip to exactly the same place with
>directory structure intact.
>
>Pre-compiled graphical versions for Linux and FreeBSD are available at
>the download site:
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/sdl_linux_read...
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0908-sdl-li...
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0908-sdl-fr...
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlima...
>http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org
>
>FreePascal source code, for Linux and others:

Gearhead has too much micromanagement of the PC's status.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:51:14 AM

Bateau wrote:

> Gearhead has too much micromanagement of the PC's status.

Ever played M&M, ideally M&M9?
THATS much micromanagement for PC status ...
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:37:24 PM

Nice. :)

I've noticed your "DeadCold" link. Still an active project?

AngeloB

!