[Crawl] And now for something completely different

Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2005 5:48:41 PM

After escaping with the orb with about my 20th character I thought I'd
try something different from my pure fighter winner (well a bit of
rodding too :)

On a whim I picked a Gnome Transmuter... And so far the RNG seems to be
smiling on me most excellently! I've absolutely no idea how to play
these guys, but the opening spellbook and inherant abilities lead me to
think it's at least 1 arm free for unarmed combat if not both, plus
lots of nice enchancing spells.

Anyway not got far but comments appreciated. Particularly useful
corpses to distill? What to go for when evaporate doesn't cut it? (I'm
ignoring sticks to snakes for now as summoning was never my thing). I
promise not to cheat this time :)

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Wibble the Martial Artist

Race : Gnome Res.Fire : + + . See Invis. : +
Class : Transmuter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 4 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 106 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 153
Exp Needed : 47 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 2 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 27 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .

Double fire resist and see invis already! Handy!

HP : 26
MP : 5
Str : 12 Weapon : dagger (drain)
Int : 14 Armour : +1 robe (resist)
Dex : 13 Shield :
AC : 4 Helmet : +0 orc plumed helmet
Evasion : 11 Cloak : +0 dwarf cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves :
Boots :
Play time : 00:47:42 Amulet : amulet of rage
Turns : 5347 Ring : ring of see invisible
Ring : ring of fire

You are on level 3.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - an uncursed glowing dagger of draining (weapon)
h - an uncursed runed sling
n - an uncursed runed dagger of draining

Worth ID'ing the daggers to use the best one? At the moment it's taking
a long time to ID just from stabbing things.

Missiles
b - 16 +0 arrows
m - 50 orcish arrows
p - 27 stones

Hoovered. Considering if I'm likely to need missiles with this guy

Armour
i - a +0 orcish plumed helmet (worn)
j - a +0 dwarven cloak (worn)
y - a +1 robe of resistance (worn)

Oh yeah!

Comestibles
l - 5 bread rations
Scrolls
f - 2 scrolls of remove curse
q - a scroll of blinking
r - 2 scrolls labeled JIKEFUGUXOSHIK
x - 2 scrolls of detect curse
z - 3 scrolls of identify
Jewellery
k - an amulet of rage (around neck)
t - a ring of see invisible (right hand)
u - a ring of fire (left hand)
Potions
c - a gluggy white potion
e - 10 potions of confusion
g - 3 potions of water
o - 3 black potions
s - a blue potion
v - an emulsified red potion
w - a slimy yellow potion
A - a fuming yellow potion
B - a potion of poison
C - 2 glowing green potions
Books
d - a book of Changes

You have 3 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 1 Fighting
+ Level 1 Short Blades
+ Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 3 Dodging
+ Level 1 Stealth
+ Level 3 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 1 Spellcasting
+ Level 2 Transmigration

Worth turning off anything?

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fulsome Distillation Transmigration/NecromancyGood 1
b - Evaporate Fire/Transmigration Good 2

Last Messages

A dart trap.
You see a dwarven hand axe here.
Floor.
There is a stone staircase leading down here.

#############
#...).......#
##.########.#
#.# #....#)#
#.# #.##)#)#
#.# #.##.#.#
#.# #.##.#.#
#.# #.##.#.#
#.# #.##.#@#
#.###.##.###
#.....##.#
########.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#

Vanquished Creatures
An orc wizard (D:3)
A giant mite (D:3)
7 giant cockroaches
A giant gecko (D:3)
12 goblins
9 hobgoblins
7 kobolds
A quokka (D:3)
6 rats
4 small snakes
8 giant bats
9 giant newts
2 oozes
4 orcs (D:3)

72 creatures vanquished.

More about : crawl completely

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:36:00 AM

Dafty wrote:
> After escaping with the orb with about my 20th character I thought I'd
> try something different from my pure fighter winner (well a bit of
> rodding too :)

Congratulations, by the way. No... only 20th? You're good... it took me
hundreds (though this was in part because I set my sights for my first
win ridiculously high).

> On a whim I picked a Gnome Transmuter...

Darn it... I wanted to have the first Gnome win... oh well, at least
I'll feel freer to pick and choose just whatever race I want after one
race instead of two. (The only unascended races remaining at this point
are Gnomes and, oddly enough, Ogres. I have this little obsession with
doing as-yet unascended races.)

> And so far the RNG seems to be
> smiling on me most excellently! I've absolutely no idea how to play
> these guys, but the opening spellbook and inherant abilities lead me to
> think it's at least 1 arm free for unarmed combat if not both, plus
> lots of nice enchancing spells.

When it comes to fighting skills, Gnomes are pretty far up there in the
short blades department, and unarmed complements these nicely (you
won't want a shield bigger than a buckler anyway, and besides, it's
nice to be able to swap in a staff in a single turn). But you can also
go the classical pure-unarmed route and reap the huge benefits of Blade
Hands... just keep in mind you won't rocket up in Unarmed like you
would in Short Blades.

You'll a better fighter than spellcaster, so support yourself with
magic, but don't get dragged too far down the spellcasting path, unless
you find some great opportunity to hybridize as an earth elementalist
(where you'll excel). Keep in mind that with magic mapping, Detect
Creatures, and Passwall, you can get some extra stabs.

> Anyway not got far but comments appreciated. Particularly useful
> corpses to distill?

The worse it is to eat, the better it is to distill. It helps to age
the corpse a little, too. ;-)

> What to go for when evaporate doesn't cut it? (I'm
> ignoring sticks to snakes for now as summoning was never my thing).

Spider Form will help you run for the hills. You'll rocket up in
Evocations, so leave some XP free for those and you'll get some
salvation even out of the resistable wands. Your stealth will help you
pick and choose your battles and places of battle, so that you have
fewer crises in the first place; don't ignore it.

> I promise not to cheat this time :)

Well, the full disclosure takes a lot of the bite out of it. But it's
still a different feeling inside when you make it without the backups.

> Hand weapons
> a - an uncursed glowing dagger of draining (weapon)
> h - an uncursed runed sling
> n - an uncursed runed dagger of draining
>
> Worth ID'ing the daggers to use the best one? At the moment it's taking
> a long time to ID just from stabbing things.

Not really... you'll want a different ego once one's available anyway
(drainers are just truly terrible weapons ;-) ), and short blades crop
up so often that you'll *get* one, too.

> Missiles
> b - 16 +0 arrows
> m - 50 orcish arrows
> p - 27 stones
>
> Hoovered. Considering if I'm likely to need missiles with this guy

Need, no. But it's one road forward. Really depends on what crops up.

> Skills:
> + Level 1 Fighting
> + Level 1 Short Blades
> + Level 2 Throwing
> + Level 3 Dodging
> + Level 1 Stealth
> + Level 3 Unarmed Combat
> + Level 1 Spellcasting
> + Level 2 Transmigration
>
> Worth turning off anything?

Probably not overall, though you might be able to tweak things a bit by
turning off skills just as they hit a new level and turning them back
on as they pass mid-way to the next level. Gnomes are hard overall
("not fish nor flesh"), so they do sort of need every boost they can
get.

Erik
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:10:49 AM

Cheers for the advice as ever Erik. Seems my instincts were pretty much
bang on with this guy. Hoping to get very stealthy and ninjaesque with
this guy, obviously sticking with light armour and evasion. Lack of hp
will probably kill me and I have been close already as to be expected
for the first 3 dungeon levels. Anyway this character is at home rather
than at work as I'm now busy :)

Rich
June 22, 2005 10:16:42 AM

Rupert Swarbrick <rupert.swarbrick@lineone.net> writes:

>OK - being stupid but I can't find this on any of the crawl spoiler/help
>pages: What is a transmuter actually supposed to do with the potions of
>poison?

Cast Evaporate and throw them at enemies.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto
Anonymous

Well he didn't last too long in the end, and found a new amusing way to
die :)

D3 had several non connected areas and not enough dungeon to explore
for experience and I had a feeling D4 was going to be tricky. First
area had orc wizard and lots of escort, back up the stairs. Second area
had a hound, thought i could take him. Thought wrong when I was down to
10HP rather quickly. Evaporated a potion of confusion which got the
hound off my back but still alive, but to escape decided to head back
up the stairs:

The hound is engulfed in noxious gasses!
The hound appears confused.
In your confused state, you trip and fall back down the stairs.
You die...

Well I wont be doing that one again :)
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:52:07 AM

When I go gnome transmuter I usually try for earth magic. Seems to
make sense. Unfortunate that earth/transmigration spells generally
aren't that great, but passwall can be handy, statue form is very nice,
and sandblast rules and just goes on ruling.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:19:55 AM

>> The only unascended races remaining at this point are Gnomes and,
>> oddly enough, Ogres.

> Don't know about ogres, but I'm aware of at least two gnome victories.

Yeah. I have a GnEE parked pre-Zot - with L 27 Earth 27, double
resistances, and a good Shatter/Iron Bolt, he'd be a walk to escape w/
Orb. I just got bored with that char in favor of a 'purer' SEEE. That
happens a lot now: once a character reaches my personal goal
(experimenting with Shatter, in the GnEE's case), I lose interest in
it.

An Ogre quasi-Paladin (Fighter worshipping TSO), however, has been an
on-and-off goal of mine for a little while. Had a close call to
victory a few weeks ago with one who picked up out-of-depth gold dragon
armor and a nice randart ancus. Of course I played him while sleepy
and so thoughtlessly lost him to a hasted opponent wielding weapons of
electrocution. Really put the S in YASD, that one.

Ben
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:30:13 PM

"Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> writes:

> The only unascended races remaining at this point are Gnomes and,
> oddly enough, Ogres.

Don't know about ogres, but I'm aware of at least two gnome victories.

--
Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult
Anonymous

Darshan Shaligram wrote:
> "Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> writes:
>

>>The only unascended races remaining at this point are Gnomes and,
>>oddly enough, Ogres.
>
> Don't know about ogres, but I'm aware of at least two gnome victories.

Where should I look for them? A Google Groups search on the word "gnome"
turns up no Gnome victories, as far as I've been able to tell in two
admittedly not fine-toothed runthroughs (one during my original research
on unascended races and one after reading your post). A check of
http://enigmastation.com/~cislyn/misc/crawl/hof.html and the old and new
Alex Korol forums also turns up no gnome winners. Sometimes even
publicized ones are easy to miss, e.g. deep elf victories (filtering by
"yavp" won't show every victory since people don't always use the YAVP
label, and filtering by "deep elf" is useless due to deep elves in
people's kill lists), but it would seem that gnomes are pretty easy to
find. I guess there's some source I'm skipping, or these ones weren't
publicized anywhere?

Erik
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:14:18 PM

Ben Goetter wrote:

> An Ogre quasi-Paladin (Fighter worshipping TSO), however, has been an
> on-and-off goal of mine for a little while.

Nice combination of midgame-strong then endgame-weak with midgame-weak
then endgame-strong. Ogres are surprisingly difficult to *launch*,
though -- so hard to hit the side of a *2#%@ barn with those blasted
dolts until you get some skill built up!!

Erik
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:09:58 PM

Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> writes:
> Darshan Shaligram wrote:
>> "Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> writes:

>>>The only unascended races remaining at this point are Gnomes and,
>>>oddly enough, Ogres.

>> Don't know about ogres, but I'm aware of at least two gnome
>> victories.

> Where should I look for them?

Okay, there were no YAVPs posted for those two, so there's no official
documentation. Actually, I'm no longer certain about one of them - I
seem to recall a GnFi, but I don't remember whose it was.

I do recall my own GnEE very clearly, however. :-)

--
Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:09:59 PM

Darshan Shaligram wrote:

[two Gnome victories hiding in the shadows]

> Okay, there were no YAVPs posted for those two, so there's no official
> documentation. Actually, I'm no longer certain about one of them - I
> seem to recall a GnFi, but I don't remember whose it was.
>
> I do recall my own GnEE very clearly, however. :-)

Drat! At least with your Merfolk victory, you mentioned it in a post,
albeit hidden inside of a conversation with Tina! (Yes, I read the old
archives a bit fanatically :-) .) 'Course then Johan came along and made
the whole point moot by posting a standard Merfolk YAVP on top of that. :-)

Erik
!