What benefit will I get from a higher resolution monitor? I'm thinking about a 900p monitor for $100.
I only see an improvement in photos. I mean, I can't play movies that are 1080p on a 900p monitor.
Plus webpages, aren't at 900p.

What am I missing here?

Solution
An eeePC simply sux. It has a weak atom CPU in it.

Higher resolution means a bigger desktop space which means better multitasking because you have more room to have windows/apps on the screen at the same time. Reducing a high resolution video to play on a lower resolution screen is easy, much less demanding than playing a 15 year old game.

I have heard this before, but not sure how quick or easy it is. I like to click play and it plays.
I used to have a eeePC and it was something like 600p, so every time I tried to play a 720p movie with VLC (king of all)
it would stutter and be unplayable. My conclusion was that the screen resolution is the problem.

My original question is aimed at, what uses is a 900p better than 768p screen, besides gaming? I'm not sure if it is
worth it to buy a 1440x900 when my only purpose is a cheap second screen for more screen space.

An eeePC simply sux. It has a weak atom CPU in it.

Higher resolution means a bigger desktop space which means better multitasking because you have more room to have windows/apps on the screen at the same time. Reducing a high resolution video to play on a lower resolution screen is easy, much less demanding than playing a 15 year old game.

Solution

Ok. Given the choice of 2 monitors: one with 768p and the other with 900p. Which would you buy?
Also, this is not for gaming.

I ended up buying a cheap 900p monitor for $100. The difference in quality of my two monitors is night and day. The colors, contrast, and viewing angles are bad, but what can you expect for $100?

I learned that it is better to buy similar size and quality monitors but it's livable.