[Crawl] YACD - High Elf Crusader. What weapon?

My gut tells me train long swords. My current one does quite well for
the dungeon level especially when flaming. Beserking looks to be useful
too, although gotta be careful when it runs out and I never bothered
with previous characters.

Any other suggestions appreciated. Will probably decide on light/heavy
Ac/Ev armour and other kit depending on what turns up.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Stabber

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 6 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 494 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 779
Exp Needed : 285 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 2 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 53 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 40
MP : 13
Str : 13 Weapon : +1 orc falchion
Int : 16 Armour : +0 elf robe
Dex : 15 Shield :
AC : 3 Helmet :
Evasion : 12 Cloak : +0 cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves :
Boots : +0 pair of boots
Play time : 01:03:38 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
Turns : 5823 Ring :
Ring :

You are on level 4.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +1,+1 orcish falchion (weapon)
b - a +0,+1 dagger of venom
e - an uncursed runed dagger of draining
i - a +2,+0 short sword of speed
o - a +0,+2 blowgun
x - an uncursed glowing great mace
Missiles
q - 15 darts
u - 22 poisoned needles
Armour
f - a +0 elven robe (worn)
g - a +0 cloak (worn)
r - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
Magical devices
l - a wand of enslavement
Comestibles
d - 2 bread rations
n - 2 meat rations
Scrolls
j - 2 scrolls of identify
k - a scroll of blinking
p - a scroll of magic mapping
y - a scroll of remove curse
A - a scroll of detect curse
C - a scroll of teleportation
Jewellery
m - a ring of teleport control
v - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
Potions
s - a potion of heal wounds
z - a potion of healing
B - a slimy black potion
Books
c - a book of War Chants

You have 127 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 3 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 2 Long Blades
+ Level 4 Dodging
+ Level 2 Stealth
+ Level 3 Spellcasting
+ Level 4 Enchantments
+ Level 2 Fire Magic

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Very Good 2
b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Good 2
c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Good 3
d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Good 2

Last Messages

Read which item?
As you read the scroll, it crumbles to dust.
Identify which item?
i - a +2,+0 short sword of speed

#...).......# #####)####
#.......)...# #.#
############# #.#
#.#
#.#
#%#
#.#
######################.#
..........@............#
########################

Vanquished Creatures
2 ogres (D:4)
An orc priest (D:3)
7 snakes
A worm (D:3)
5 giant bats
9 giant cockroaches
2 giant geckos (D:4)
7 hobgoblins
4 jackals (D:3)
10 kobolds
5 orcs (D:3)
2 quokkas
4 giant newts
11 goblins
11 rats
3 small snakes

84 creatures vanquished.
6 answers Last reply
More about crawl yacd high crusader weapon
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On 28 Jun 2005 08:54:43 -0700, "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    > Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

    >Crux the Stabber
    >
    >Race : High Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
    >Class : Crusader Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
    >Worship : Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .

    Decided who you'll worship yet?

    > Inventory:
    >Hand weapons
    > a - a +1,+1 orcish falchion (weapon)

    That'll do for now to train Long Blades, but keep looking for better.

    > o - a +0,+2 blowgun

    Good for softening up ogres and such.

    >Magical devices
    > l - a wand of enslavement

    Not quite useless, but close enough I'd consider just shooting at the
    wall when I had experience to burn. Everyone can use enough Evocations
    to use-ID wand charges.

    >Jewellery
    > m - a ring of teleport control

    Put this on. There's no reason not to.

    > v - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)

    > Skills:
    > + Level 3 Fighting
    > - Level 4 Short Blades
    > + Level 2 Long Blades
    > + Level 4 Dodging
    > + Level 2 Stealth
    > + Level 3 Spellcasting
    > + Level 4 Enchantments
    > + Level 2 Fire Magic

    Ice is maybe the more useful to a fighter-mage and building Ice is
    going to be harder now with Fire moved up. Unless you want to go into
    Conjurations, I'd turn this off and brand my sword with Freezing Aura
    unless fighting something cold-resistant.

    > Last Messages
    >
    >Read which item?
    >As you read the scroll, it crumbles to dust.
    >Identify which item?
    >i - a +2,+0 short sword of speed

    You scroll IDed a weapon when you had an unIDed potion? Do you already
    know !mutation and !cure mutation? Knowledge of one of those is worth
    ?ID -- a weapon you can wield-test is not.

    --
    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com

    Cheers for the advice both. Is Ely as much as a pain in the arse to
    please as it appears via the gods spoiler? I never bothered in the past
    as the only way the spoiler says you can gain piety is via sacrifice
    and trips to the temple to do that seem a pain. That said it could be
    interesting.

    Beserking I never used with my pure fighter winner, but figured it was
    probably required with this guy. Anyway will see how I get on...
    Haven't found a temple yet hence why no choice of god.

    Rich
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    > My gut tells me train long swords.

    High elves aren't especially stealthy and aren't great stabbers, are as
    good at learning long blades as short blades, and don't have the sort of
    DEX to STR imbalance that makes a quick blade in hand a wonderful thing.
    Go for it.

    > Read which item?
    > As you read the scroll, it crumbles to dust.
    > Identify which item?
    > i - a +2,+0 short sword of speed

    Speed is a wonderful ego on a short blade, to be sure, but you'll find
    longswords to match soon enough.

    > My current one does quite well for
    > the dungeon level especially when flaming. Beserking looks to be useful
    > too, although gotta be careful when it runs out and I never bothered
    > with previous characters.

    Berserking "useful?" Berserking is so powerful that it borders on being
    broken. Of course the hungering, the risk of passing out, and the
    slowing are a nice counterbalance... but there are ways to get around
    the latter. I don't just mean the "oRS you've found, which is GREAT, but
    the option that exist even for less lucky characters, and that's
    Elyvilon -- his Purification power cures slowing, including post-berserk
    slowing. (Even with an "oRS, Ely isn't a downright bad choice, because
    there are some places in the endgame, especially the extended endgame,
    where you just DON'T want to be wearing anything but an "oRM, and it's
    nice to have berserking as a fairly safe option in even those places.)
    The downside of this is that Ely won't let you use demon blades or
    vampiric weapons, but hey, you can't have *everything*.

    In any case... definitely "bother with" berserking. ;-)

    > Any other suggestions appreciated. Will probably decide on light/heavy
    > Ac/Ev armour and other kit depending on what turns up.

    Of all the elves, high elves come the closest to just barely being
    better with heavy armour, and despite this I'd *still* say all things
    being equal go with light armour for the easier casting (letting you
    pour more XP safely into your fighting skills), but yeah, if a dragon
    armour or a really good ring or scale mail crops up, go for it.

    > Int : 16

    Keep pouring voluntary increases into INT for a while.

    > You are on level 4.

    Orc falchion and AoRS already? ROCK AND ROLL!

    > b - a +0,+1 dagger of venom

    Don't ditch this yet; it doesn't weigh much and poison does wonders
    against killer monsters for a long time yet. Of course you do have...

    > o - a +0,+2 blowgun

    ....this as well, but it trains *darts*. Yuck. :-) Note that Ely is,
    contrary to what you might expect, totally cool on you poisoning stuff
    (doctors do work with poisons, after all, and doctors are healers...
    err, whatever). You can also stab to your heart's content, FWIW.

    > Jewellery
    > m - a ring of teleport control

    When it rains, it pours!

    > Books
    > c - a book of War Chants

    The other thing you lose out with is Regeneration, but if you're
    diligent about using minor healing (costs no piety) to dump XP into
    Invocations whenever you have the chance, you won't be missing
    Regeneration much.

    Note that if you do go with Ely, you'll have your safest opportunity to
    date to go and do the Tomb.

    > Your Spells Type Success
    > Level
    > a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Very Good 2
    > b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Good 2
    > c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Good 3
    > d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Good 2

    Start actively scumming experience into your spell skills until you get
    BR up to Very Good... that's the sort of thing you really want to be
    there when you need it (same thing goes for Ely's lowest healing
    invocation, and later the midrange one).

    Erik
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    > Cheers for the advice both. Is Ely as much as a pain in the arse to
    > please as it appears via the gods spoiler?

    She rewards long-standing faith, so unless you ask her for help after
    each berserk, piety should grow back quickly enough. Anyway, don't let
    her catch you killing things, so better don't pray.

    Lars
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:

    >>+ Level 2 Fire Magic
    >
    > Ice is maybe the more useful to a fighter-mage and building Ice is
    > going to be harder now with Fire moved up. Unless you want to go into
    > Conjurations, I'd turn this off and brand my sword with Freezing Aura
    > unless fighting something cold-resistant.

    Actually, going into Conjurations works pretty well for a Crusader.
    You're going building up an element anyway as you skittle about branding
    your weapon and going into battle. Also, there are a lot more
    cold-resistant things than fire-resistant ones, and they tend to be more
    dangerous than the fire resistant ones in the early midgame (would you
    rather be less effective against imps, or against ice beasts and
    phantoms?) Eventually, you run into to Oz's Armour, to be sure (unless
    you go heavy-armour, always out there as an option for a high elf), but
    you also run into the fire/conjurations Conjure Flame, which is also a
    great lifesaver, so it's 50/50 that way. And then there's hydras.

    Generally, my Crusaders learn just Fire Brand and skip Freezing Aura so
    they can learn more spells faster, but too late for that now. At least
    he'll have an edge on firedrakes and mottled dragons.

    Erik
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    > Cheers for the advice both. Is Ely as much as a pain in the arse to
    > please as it appears via the gods spoiler? I never bothered in the past
    > as the only way the spoiler says you can gain piety is via sacrifice
    > and trips to the temple to do that seem a pain. That said it could be
    > interesting.

    Long-standing faith plus weapon/ammo sacrifices. Generally sacrificing
    the relevant contents of the first 9-10 levels of the dungeon (plus the
    piety earned during the time you spend doing that) is more than enough
    to forget about it after that unless you make heavy use of piety-using
    invocations. (So just in case, keep stashes of weapons ready for
    sacrifice scattered about the dungeon.) I wouldn't recommend going on
    the long-faith piety alone; I read a post once from somebody who was
    doing that (didn't know about the weapon piety or didn't want to do it)
    and it was taking them forever to get piety up to a useful level. So
    it's a pain, but mostly a one-shot pain. I was a little more fanatic
    about sacrificing weapons in my Crusader games (didn't stop until Ely
    was exalted) and can count on one hand the number of times I had to make
    supplementary sacrifice runs, mostly due to things like multiple Greater
    Healings in Hell (which literally saved my life).

    Once your piety is up pretty high, Shift-5 after saccing until your
    prayer ends. Make it a reflex; it saves you nasty surprises when
    returning from the Temple.

    > Beserking I never used with my pure fighter winner, but figured it was
    > probably required with this guy. Anyway will see how I get on...
    > Haven't found a temple yet hence why no choice of god.

    Well, it's pretty early... you still have until D:7. You got so much
    stuff early that based on my excellent Gambler's Fallacy logic, I hereby
    declare that you won't find the temple until D:7 and it'll be in an area
    only accessible via digging or via stairs up from D:8, and will be
    behind a secret door. :-)

    Erik

Crusader Video Games