Your question
Solved

Endless Reboot

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
May 5, 2010 12:26:06 PM

I have a Windows 7 machine using an intel core2duo, 4gb ram, ati 4850. I just got two new Dell U2410 monitors. Ever since I got my monitors my computer will frequently enter a constant reboot cycle after powering up from a fresh boot. Each time this cycle starts I have to turn off the computer and try again. Sometimes I can get into windows, sometimes I cannot. Any ideas whats causing this?

More about : endless reboot

a b $ Windows 7
May 5, 2010 2:44:23 PM

Sounds like driver issues... disable automatic restart upon system failure and see if you're getting a blue screen. The error on the blue screen can be helpful at figuring out what the issue is.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 5, 2010 2:55:47 PM

You can disable Automatic Restart from System Properties (Windows Key + Pause break key) \Advanced System Settings \ Advanced \Startup + Recovery Settings and unchecking the Automatic Restart box. Also if you go to Start\Run and type MSCONFIG you can check the BOOT LOG box and get a record of potential problems on startup. There is also event log and system log to see if they tell you whats going wrong
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2010 3:05:30 PM

Thanks, I will try this and update.
m
l
May 6, 2010 12:10:59 AM

Doesnt seem like any of these suggestions make a difference. Event log shows now errors, i'm not quite sure where to view the boot log after I check the box. However, it seems the issue may be a power issue. I can boot the computer when I do not have each monitor's usb cord connected.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 4:01:30 PM

Have a look in Device manager (windows key + Pause break) to see if there is an exclamation mark anywhere(maybe usb devices) which shows a problem with that device. Try using different USB ports for you cables, or if you have a seperate powered USB hub try that as you may be right and need extra power to drive the monitors USB
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 4:11:05 PM

the bootlog named ntbtlog.txt is in the Windows Folder
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 6:51:08 PM

It's odd that a monitor would cause this, but if you still have your old monitor, try using that to see if the problem still occurs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2010 2:17:18 PM

What kind of power supply? Perhaps you need to look at upgrading it.
m
l
May 7, 2010 2:54:08 PM

I have a 500W powersupply, its definitely related to the usb cables. I'd be surprised if simply having the usb cables connected from the monitor to the computer would cause that much of a power usage difference
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2010 3:08:13 PM

What kind of power supply? The wattage is close to meaningless.

USB cables? You mean the VGA/DVI cable?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2010 7:15:52 PM

Try starting with the USB cables disconnected. If alls well, connect them one at a time and restart to see if you can narrow the problem down
May 17, 2010 12:06:24 AM

Best answer selected by stocherilac.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2010 4:06:50 PM

Thanks for giving me best answer
m
l
!