YACD - Spriggan Warper with 3 runes

Last response: in Video Games
June 29, 2005 12:17:34 AM

After some lucky escapes (thanks, mostly, to my teleportitis), massive
overuse of Deflect Missiles, and the fortuitous discovery of a Deck of
Summoning on Vaults:8, I find myself with three runes, for the first time.

Since I managed to do the Vaults:8 purely by the skin of my teeth, I'm
assuming that I'm not actually tough enough to enter Zot yet. I'm also
concerned that my use of spells is ineffective - I've used Apportation
more than everything else, now that I have teleportitis. I have copies of
almost all of the non-special spellbooks (including, I think, both
variants of Conjurations), but I'm not sure what it is worth learning.

I desperately need some way of damaging resistant monsters - an Ancient
Lich was 5 hp from killing me with its summonings, because I was unable to
do much to it with my rods, or my bow. In the end, I teleported away...

(I'm also wearing the best equipment that I could find and can carry - the
RNG saw fit to mock me with a randart Executioner's Axe with fire and
electricity resistance on it, but I'm not big enough to use it). There's a
ring of protection from fire in my stash, though.

Dungeon Crawl 4.0.0b26x (+Imps, Draconians and Demons oh my!) character
file.

a book of Charms
There is a staircase back to the Dungeon here.
There are several objects here.
There are several objects here.

## #...P......##
##.###......P....#
#.P.##......#....#
##..# ##..........##
#...###............#
##..##..............#
##...#....[.....#.#...
##................##..#
#.....@!}........#.....
#.....!!/..............
#.....:.)............#.
#...#....P..........##.
##.#...................
##.#..................
#......%..............
##.................#..
#.....#...P...##...#.

> Surrounded by my third stash, in the Hives. There's another one in the
Lair, and one in the Ecumenical Temple. All the good stuff is here,
though.

Pingle the Talismancer (Spriggan)
(Level 21 Warper)

Play time: 1 day, 06:32:37 Number of turns: 94205

Experience : 21/544569
Strength 10 Dexterity 19 Intelligence 23
Hit Points : 79 Magic Points : 26/44
AC : 10 Evasion : 22 Shield : 0
GP : 2182

You are in the Hive.
You worship Makhleb.
Makhleb is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
n - a +5,+4 short sword of slicing
r - a +4,+5 bow

>saw lots of crossbows in the Vaults. Should I switch to them, or stay
with my bow?

Armour
j - the +1 animal skin of the Eternal Fruit (worn)
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.

> Yes, this really is the best thing I've found so far.

H - a +2 cloak (worn)
R - a +1 wizard's hat (worn)
Magical devices
c - a wand of lightning (3)
e - a wand of digging
g - a wand of disintegration (15)
h - a wand of fire (3)
m - a wand of flame
u - a wand of digging (5)
x - a wand of cold
B - a wand of draining
C - a wand of fireball (5)
D - a wand of magic darts (18)
G - a wand of cold (2)
T - a wand of enslavement (5)
Scrolls
d - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon I
f - 2 scrolls of blinking
l - 4 scrolls of identify
I - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
N - 3 scrolls of remove curse
O - 6 scrolls of teleportation
V - 2 scrolls of detect curse
Z - 2 scrolls of recharging
Jewellery
k - a +2 ring of dexterity
q - an amulet of resist mutation
E - a ring of sustenance
F - a ring of teleport control (right hand)

> To mitigate the effects of teleportitis.

K - the ring of Bewico (left hand)
This ring either protects its wearer from harm or makes them more
vulnerable to injury, to a degree dependent on its power.
It affects your AC (+3).
It affects your evasion (+3).
It affects your strength (+3).

P - an amulet of resist corrosion
Q - a twisted golden ring
W - an amulet of clarity (around neck)

> Put it on when I did the Swamp, and kept it on because I keep accidently
evoking when low on MP.

Y - a +1 ring of evasion
Potions
b - 4 potions of levitation
v - a potion of restore abilities
A - 5 potions of heal wounds
J - 9 potions of healing
L - 3 potions of might
Books
o - a book of the Earth
y - a book of Conjurations
M - a papyrus book
X - a book of War Chants

> Found all these books in the Vaults, which is why they're in my
inventory.

Magical staves
a - a rod of striking
i - a rod of warding

> Deflect Missiles is the best spell in the entire game. Vaults:8 would
have killed me 10 times over without it.

s - a rod of destruction (in hand)

> The Inaccuracy, Magma, Cold one. I'd do anything for the one with Iron
Bolt on it... stupid resistant monsters...

w - a rod of discovery

You have 20000 experience left.

> Urgh. Not enough free time to spend in Vaults:8 to use exp for stuff,
between evoking at stuff.

Skills:
- Level 2 Short Blades
- Level 14 Bows
- Level 7 Darts
+ Level 13 Throwing
+ Level 18 Dodging
+ Level 11 Stealth
- Level 1 Stabbing
+ Level 9 Spellcasting

> This is still low because I was, for a time, stuck at Evocations 20, and
didn't want to put Spellcasting too high (so that scrolls of acquirement
would still give me rods)

- Level 3 Enchantments
- Level 9 Translocations
- Level 1 Divinations
+ Level 4 Invocations

> Mostly from Greater Destruction, and three lots of summoning Servants.

* Level 27 Evocations

You have 14 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Apportation Translocation Excellent 1
b - Blink Translocation Excellent 2
c - Teleport Other Translocation Great 4
d - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Very Good 3
e - Detect Curse Divination Good 3
f - Teleport Self Translocation Very Good 5
g - Corona Enchantment Great 1

> Purely for training up Enchantment so I could use:

h - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 2

> Which was great until I got access to Deflect Missiles. (What actually
/is/ the essential difference?)

i - Confuse Enchantment Very Good 3

> Disappointingly resistible for anything I've tried it on.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your mind is acute (Int +2).
Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
You are resistant to magic.
You are somewhat resistant to further mutation.
You are partially covered in purple scales (AC + 1).

> All from two potions of mutation. The second one seems to have removed a
case of forgetfulness, too.

Vanquished Creatures
draconian zealot (Vault:7)
draconian scorcher (twice) (Vault:6 Vault:8)

> Lots more classes of draconians, mostly in the vaults too. They make the
Vaults fairly dangerous, as they span the entire set of resistances in
their attacks (as well as being individually resistant to stuff as well).

A Blue Death (Vault:8)

> When I killed this, I got a message about not getting as much out of the
kill as I should have, or something? I assume this is related to a massive
experience gain which I was unable to get due to maxed out exp?

21 vault guards

> Poor things. With no ranged attacks, they're not a threat once you get
out of the way of them at the start.

A dancing weapon (Blade)

> Really, surprisingly, tough, mainly due to the array of resistances.

3 spectral warriors (Vault:8)

> I was unimpressed by these, compared to the other OOD creatures in
Vault:8. Are they nasty in melee?

3 hellwings (Abyss)

> Yes, I visited the Abyss out of interest, and found it surprisingly
easy. I suspect that's just because I was level 19 at the time.

2 butterfly skeletons

> Actually, these were really useful - in both cases, they were in the
right place to block nastier stuff in corridors.

A program bug (Abyss)

> I don't even remember killing this. I remember killing something
apparently invisible (despite being a Spriggan)...

Sam
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:17:35 AM

SC Skipsey wrote:
> After some lucky escapes (thanks, mostly, to my teleportitis), massive
> overuse of Deflect Missiles, and the fortuitous discovery of a Deck of
> Summoning on Vaults:8, I find myself with three runes, for the first time.
>
> Since I managed to do the Vaults:8 purely by the skin of my teeth, I'm
> assuming that I'm not actually tough enough to enter Zot yet. I'm also
> concerned that my use of spells is ineffective - I've used Apportation
> more than everything else, now that I have teleportitis. I have copies of
> almost all of the non-special spellbooks (including, I think, both
> variants of Conjurations), but I'm not sure what it is worth learning.
>
> I desperately need some way of damaging resistant monsters - an Ancient
> Lich was 5 hp from killing me with its summonings, because I was unable to
> do much to it with my rods, or my bow. In the end, I teleported away...
>
> (I'm also wearing the best equipment that I could find and can carry - the
> RNG saw fit to mock me with a randart Executioner's Axe with fire and
> electricity resistance on it, but I'm not big enough to use it). There's a
> ring of protection from fire in my stash, though.

I wouldn't really be comfortable going to Zot if I were you.
I think I would try for the slime pits first; you might find
some good treasure in there. Also give you a chance to dump
exp into fire or earth magic before taking them out with your
rods (I'm not sure, but bolt of inaccuracy or magma should
make short work of most everything in there; obviously I
wouldn't try bolt of cold on the azure jellies). You didn't
mention what your food stores are like, but I imagine for a
spriggan evoker, you must have a massive stack. This will
let you retreat to restore mana quite often.

> Dungeon Crawl 4.0.0b26x (+Imps, Draconians and Demons oh my!) character
> file.

Yay for the imps patch! Too bad eating poisonous corpses is almost
impossible (ISTR eating them with 3 levels of poison resist and still
getting poisoned). Also, with this patch Vault:8 could be deadlier
than Zot:5 because packs of draconians can really do a number on
almost any character.

> Pingle the Talismancer (Spriggan)
> (Level 21 Warper)
>
> Play time: 1 day, 06:32:37 Number of turns: 94205
>
> Experience : 21/544569
> Strength 10 Dexterity 19 Intelligence 23
> Hit Points : 79 Magic Points : 26/44
> AC : 10 Evasion : 22 Shield : 0
> GP : 2182
>
> You are in the Hive.
> You worship Makhleb.
> Makhleb is exalted by your worship.
> You are full.

Makhleb seems like an odd choice to me, since his early
rewards aren't much better than your starting rod. If
you decide to do the Tomb (probably won't need to after
the slime pits) the summons should come in handy.

> Inventory:
> Hand weapons
> n - a +5,+4 short sword of slicing
> r - a +4,+5 bow

I don't see why you'd need more ranged attacks than the
rods offer, but at this stage, I'd say stick to bows.
I'm sure an actual source-diver could find a reason to
contradict me, however, so as always, YMMV.

> Armour
> j - the +1 animal skin of the Eternal Fruit (worn)
> It protects you from poison.
> It partially protects you from negative energy.
>
> Yes, this really is the best thing I've found so far.

Wow. Bad luck. You checked every orc wizard and naga for
their robe? I'd take a +0 res fire over this.

> H - a +2 cloak (worn)
> R - a +1 wizard's hat (worn)

Bad luck here too. Hopefully the slime pits have something.

> Magical devices
> c - a wand of lightning (3)
> e - a wand of digging
> g - a wand of disintegration (15)
> h - a wand of fire (3)
> m - a wand of flame
> u - a wand of digging (5)
> x - a wand of cold
> B - a wand of draining
> C - a wand of fireball (5)
> D - a wand of magic darts (18)
> G - a wand of cold (2)
> T - a wand of enslavement (5)

I hope you don't carry all these around with you. I
might recharge the fire wand for the slime pits, since
you don't have any good utility wands and fire is
the elemental attack you're lacking. Be sure to take
digging too, in case there's a shortcut between caverns
you can take to go downstairs faster (I don't think
anyone really wastes time clearing the first five levels).
I guess you could also just magic map and then teleport,
but that's a little risky if you land in LOS of a few acid
blobs and/or eyes.

<snip scrolls>

> Jewellery
> k - a +2 ring of dexterity
> q - an amulet of resist mutation

This is for Zot, I'd say.

> E - a ring of sustenance
> F - a ring of teleport control (right hand)
>
> To mitigate the effects of teleportitis.

Obviously gotta keep that on.

> K - the ring of Bewico (left hand)
> This ring either protects its wearer from harm or makes them more
> vulnerable to injury, to a degree dependent on its power.
> It affects your AC (+3).
> It affects your evasion (+3).
> It affects your strength (+3).

pretty cool

> P - an amulet of resist corrosion
> Q - a twisted golden ring

identify this.

> W - an amulet of clarity (around neck)
>
> Put it on when I did the Swamp, and kept it on because
> I keep accidently evoking when low on MP.

No shame in that. I'd probably keep it on permanently if
I were you (unless you land in Pan or the Abyss).

<snip>
> A - 5 potions of heal wounds
> J - 9 potions of healing

Is this your whole stockpile of healing? I don't think this
is enough to take on the Tomb without learning some serious
summoning magic first (at which point Makhleb becomes totally
pointless); I took about 50 rotting when I blasted through
with fire bolt (more HP than you can afford to rot).

> Books
> M - a papyrus book

What's this one? Could be Geomancy. That would be perfect.

> Magical staves
> a - a rod of striking
> i - a rod of warding
>
> > Deflect Missiles is the best spell in the entire game. Vaults:8 would
> have killed me 10 times over without it.
>
> s - a rod of destruction (in hand)
>
> > The Inaccuracy, Magma, Cold one. I'd do anything for the one with Iron
> Bolt on it... stupid resistant monsters...
>
> w - a rod of discovery

Do you still use striking? I'd probably leave it behind. Train
fighting on the little stuff.

> You have 20000 experience left.
>
> > Urgh. Not enough free time to spend in Vaults:8 to use exp for stuff,
> between evoking at stuff.

The first thing you should spend this on is to raise fighting
on one of those plants in the screenshot I snipped. You can
train short blades at the same time, if you have like a -1 knife,
or just attack it unarmed. ISTR that you can get fighting up
to 2 this way, but it could be only 1, or it could be up to 27.
Hopefully this (and more training) will get you over the 100 HP mark.

> Skills:
> - Level 2 Short Blades
> - Level 14 Bows

I'd turn this on, if you don't think your mana is enough.

> - Level 7 Darts
> + Level 13 Throwing
> + Level 18 Dodging
> + Level 11 Stealth

Anyone know a cheap and easy way to raise stealth without
just sitting around wasting food? The new favorite exploit
on the ng is to play neat tricks with detection and
freezing cloud (if you manage to get that rod).

> - Level 1 Stabbing
> + Level 9 Spellcasting
>
> > This is still low because I was, for a time, stuck at Evocations 20, and
> didn't want to put Spellcasting too high (so that scrolls of acquirement
> would still give me rods)
>
> - Level 3 Enchantments
> - Level 9 Translocations
> - Level 1 Divinations
> + Level 4 Invocations

You should decide right now what you want to do with this character.
Either start learning some offensive magic, or raise enchantments
to the point where you can cast the good buffing spells. I'm not sure
you'll be able to take out an orb of fire with what you've got.

<snip>
> You have 14 spell levels left.
> You know the following spells:
>
> Your Spells Type Success Level
> a - Apportation Translocation Excellent 1
> b - Blink Translocation Excellent 2
> c - Teleport Other Translocation Great 4
> d - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Very Good 3
> e - Detect Curse Divination Good 3
> f - Teleport Self Translocation Very Good 5
> g - Corona Enchantment Great 1
>
> > Purely for training up Enchantment so I could use:
>
> h - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 2
>
> > Which was great until I got access to Deflect Missiles. (What actually
> /is/ the essential difference?)
>
> i - Confuse Enchantment Very Good 3
>
> > Disappointingly resistible for anything I've tried it on.

I don't really have good advice to give on spell selection.
Hope to get Geomancy is all I can say.

> Mutations & Other Weirdness
> Your mind is acute (Int +2).
> Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
> You are resistant to magic.
> You are somewhat resistant to further mutation.
> You are partially covered in purple scales (AC + 1).

Not a bad set with tele control. I never seem to find any =oTC.

<snip>

Let me sum up by saying it's entirely possible you could make
it trough Zot as you are, but if it were my character, I'd do
the slime pits first. If nothing turns up, I have no idea what
I'd do next. Probably hope that I was good enough to do Zot;
I'd stay away from the Tomb with this character. One other thing
I could add is that if you havn't explored down to D:27 yet, be
careful, because packs of draconians can come at you down low
in the dungeon too (but they don't seem to get generated in Zot).
I almost lost my YAFVP due to draconians around D:21-27 when
I had 5 runes.

Sean
!