Two request for the Darshan Patch

There are two subtle interface improvements in Tilecrawl that would be
nice to see in patched ASCII Crawl. No idea how easy they are to implement.

- Num 0 as alternative to Ctrl-0 -- this (undocumented :-/) feature
makes moving about the dungeon an absolute breeze.
- Color differentiation of squares with items from other squares in the
Shift-X map. This is normally merely a good thing, but in the Swamp,
it's a fantastic thing.

My dream wish would be some sort of modified presentation for item piles
with multiple items, like the question mark symbol in TileCrawl, but I
have no idea how it could be implemented in ASCII, and it's not all that
important anyway.

Erik

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Erik Piper fpppffppffmpmpp:

> My dream wish would be some sort of modified presentation for item piles
> with multiple items, like the question mark symbol in TileCrawl, but I
> have no idea how it could be implemented in ASCII, and it's not all that
> important anyway.

Very easily - on the top of the pile the patch should place a scroll with
the list of items that are below. This is represented by '?' Practical,
fast and helps the warriors go-to-spellcasting-1-level quest. ;)

--
Greetings,
Loonie

Loonie wrote:
> Erik Piper fpppffppffmpmpp:
>

>>My dream wish would be some sort of modified presentation for item piles
>>with multiple items, like the question mark symbol in TileCrawl, but I
>>have no idea how it could be implemented in ASCII, and it's not all that
>>important anyway.
>

> Very easily - on the top of the pile the patch should place a scroll with
> the list of items that are below. This is represented by '?' Practical,
> fast and helps the warriors go-to-spellcasting-1-level quest. ;)

This could be counterbalanced by representing single-item stacks with an
'x'. Live and hostile, of course. ;-)

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> There are two subtle interface improvements in Tilecrawl that would be
> nice to see in patched ASCII Crawl. No idea how easy they are to
> implement.

If you can live with the main 0 also triggering Ctrl-0, you can easily
use the ingame keymap-editor (if you never used it before):
Press ` (don't know your keyboard layout, but here it's the key between
? and backspace, with shift). You get a prompt then "Command (m)acro or
(k)eymap?". Press k, then 0, then Ctrl-0, Enter, save with ~, ready.

> - Num 0 as alternative to Ctrl-0 -- this (undocumented :-/) feature

Ctrl-0 is mentioned in crawl-patch-info.txt (the link "here" points to
that file ;-)) on Darshan's site under '2. Explore'.

Rubinstein

--
in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum

Rubinstein wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:

>>- Num 0 as alternative to Ctrl-0 -- this (undocumented :-/) feature
>
> Ctrl-0 is mentioned in crawl-patch-info.txt (the link "here" points to
> that file ;-)) on Darshan's site under '2. Explore'.
>
> Rubinstein

Oh! What I meant is that the extra possibility of using Num 0 to serve
as Ctrl-O that exists in TileCrawl is not documented in the TileCrawl
documentation. It was such a great discovery when I happened upon it by
accident that I only regretted that I hadn't found out about it sooner.

Erik

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:17:34 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz>
wrote:

>There are two subtle interface improvements in Tilecrawl that would be
>nice to see in patched ASCII Crawl. No idea how easy they are to implement.
>
>- Num 0 as alternative to Ctrl-0 -- this (undocumented :-/) feature
>makes moving about the dungeon an absolute breeze.

Thanks for the tip! YARTPTCETILA (Yet Another Reason To Play Tile
Crawl Even Though I Love ASCII).

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Erik Piper fpppffppffmpmpp:

>> Very easily - on the top of the pile the patch should place a scroll with
>> the list of items that are below. This is represented by '?' Practical,
>> fast and helps the warriors go-to-spellcasting-1-level quest. ;)
> This could be counterbalanced by representing single-item stacks with an
> 'x'. Live and hostile, of course. ;-)

I'm happy we've found a good solution. Looking ahead for the
modifications...

--
Greetings, :)
Loonie

Rubinstein wrote:

> If you can live with the main 0 also triggering Ctrl-0, you can easily
> use the ingame keymap-editor (if you never used it before):
> Press ` (don't know your keyboard layout, but here it's the key between
> ? and backspace, with shift). You get a prompt then "Command (m)acro or
> (k)eymap?". Press k, then 0, then Ctrl-0, Enter, save with ~, ready.

I tried this out yesterday. Turns out Ins (num 0 is interpreted as Ins
since Num Lock must be off to play) isn't recognized by the macro
thingy. Based on my experimentation, I found Ctrl-9 (really ctrl-i...
the number keys are translated into vi-movement letters on very
fundamental level in crawl, so much so that 7 answers "y" to yes/no
questions, for example) to work pretty well, as well as Ctrl-/.
Ctrl-left arrow (ctrl-h?) is theoretically interesting as you can "type"
it by jamming one finger in the middle of those two keys, but a little
clumsy-feeling.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> If you can live with the main 0 also triggering Ctrl-0, you can easily
>> use the ingame keymap-editor (if you never used it before):
>> [...]
>
> I tried this out yesterday. Turns out Ins (num 0 is interpreted as Ins
> since Num Lock must be off to play) isn't recognized by the macro
> thingy.

Did you try this with toggling numpad on/off?
I know that on certain systems (Windows IIRC) numpad players have to
turn numpad off to make it work in Crawl. Here on Linux it only works
when switched on.

Rubinstein

Rubinstein wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>>Rubinstein wrote:
>>

>>>If you can live with the main 0 also triggering Ctrl-0, you can easily
>>>use the ingame keymap-editor (if you never used it before):
>>>[...]
>>
>>I tried this out yesterday. Turns out Ins (num 0 is interpreted as Ins
>>since Num Lock must be off to play) isn't recognized by the macro
>>thingy.
>

> Did you try this with toggling numpad on/off?
> I know that on certain systems (Windows IIRC) numpad players have to
> turn numpad off to make it work in Crawl. Here on Linux it only works
> when switched on.
>
> Rubinstein

Yup, Windows is the precise opposite.

I'm quite satisfied with TileCrawl except for the loss of multidrop, so
it's not an issue most of the time, but every now and then I get in the
mood to enjoy some multidrop goodness, and then I miss my Num 0. Like I
say, though, a macro for Ctrl-9 (really Ctrl-PageUp on Windows
ASCIICrawl, and interpreted by as Ctrl-I) seems to do the trick quite well.

Erik

Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> writes:

> There are two subtle interface improvements in Tilecrawl that would
> be nice to see in patched ASCII Crawl. No idea how easy they are to
> implement.

> - Num 0 as alternative to Ctrl-0 -- this (undocumented :-/) feature
> makes moving about the dungeon an absolute breeze.

Easy to do. I have '0'-explore working here.

> - Color differentiation of squares with items from other squares in
> the Shift-X map. This is normally merely a good thing, but in the
> Swamp, it's a fantastic thing.

Quite easy. What colour do we want squares with items to be? :)

> My dream wish would be some sort of modified presentation for item
> piles with multiple items, like the question mark symbol in
> TileCrawl, but I have no idea how it could be implemented in ASCII,
> and it's not all that important anyway.

You're talking about the regular dungeon view, not the 'X' level map,
right? That'll indeed be difficult to represent in straight ASCII (we
*could* highlight the pile by reversing colours like we do for
friend-branding, but that'll be ugly). On the level map, we could use
a different colour for multi-item piles, but that'll still involve
peeking directly at the item grid, giving away extra information to
the player.

--
Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult

R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> writes:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:17:34 +0200, Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz>
> wrote:
[...]
>>- Num 0 as alternative to Ctrl-0 -- this (undocumented :-/) feature
>>makes moving about the dungeon an absolute breeze.

> Thanks for the tip! YARTPTCETILA (Yet Another Reason To Play Tile
> Crawl Even Though I Love ASCII).

What are the other reasons? Anything that can be back-ported to ASCII
Crawl?

--

Erik Piper <erikNO@skySP.czAM> writes:
> Rubinstein wrote:
[rebinding numpad 0]
>> Did you try this with toggling numpad on/off? I know that on
>> certain systems (Windows IIRC) numpad players have to turn numpad
>> off to make it work in Crawl. Here on Linux it only works when
>> switched on.

> Yup, Windows is the precise opposite.

Crawl's keyboard-handling code is rather wild.

> I'm quite satisfied with TileCrawl
[...]

TileCrawl's a pretty amazing achievement, especially when you look at
the amounts of work they've had to do to Crawl's curmudgeonly display
code. It'd be great to see it become part of the official Crawl
distribution, in the same way that NetHack and Angband have tiles as
an official option.

--
Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult