Merfolk and paralysis. *How* can this be coincidence??

I just suffered my fourth consecutive untimely demise due to
paralysis, playing as a merman each time. The first time wasn't funny.
The second and third times continued to fail to be funny. And the
fourth time just wasn't funny. It doesn't seem statistically
plausible. What's going on? Is paralysis resistance dependant on
race? It's not a matter of magic resistance, because 2 of these deaths
were due to red wasps. In each case, one sting was all they needed to
get the infinite chain of paralysis going.

Britto wrote:
> I just suffered my fourth consecutive untimely demise due to
> paralysis, playing as a merman each time. The first time wasn't funny.
> The second and third times continued to fail to be funny. And the
> fourth time just wasn't funny. It doesn't seem statistically
> plausible. What's going on? Is paralysis resistance dependant on
> race? It's not a matter of magic resistance, because 2 of these deaths
> were due to red wasps. In each case, one sting was all they needed to
> get the infinite chain of paralysis going.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that poison resistance
is what you need. I know for a fact that it helps with
yellow wasps, but red wasps are so rare that I'm not sure
it's the same for them. There is no free action in crawl like
there is in Nethack or other roguelikes, so if you're paranoid
about paralyzation, make sure you have poison resistance\
(for wasps) and good magic resistance (I think this will work
for eyes and wands). I also lost a promising character to
paralyzation recently (a high elf crusader who'd found an
amulet of resist slowing really early); it was a yellow wasp
who got him, and I did everything but teleport to try to live.
I couldn't afford to read the scroll because I was dealing
with an ogre at the time. Well, good luck with your next one.

Sean

"Britto" <bcharles@metz.une.edu.au> writes:

> I just suffered my fourth consecutive untimely demise due to
>paralysis, playing as a merman each time.
[...]
>It doesn't seem statistically plausible. What's going on? Is paralysis
>resistance dependant on race? It's not a matter of magic resistance,
>because 2 of these deaths were due to red wasps.

It is a matter of poison resistance. Letting wasps enter melee range without
poison resistance will get every race and class paralysed and killed. Nothing
special about merfolks in this respect.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto

Loonie Jun 30, 9:57 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.misc
From: Loonie <loon...@tlen.pl> - Find messages by this author
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:57:09 +0200
Subject: Re: Merfolk and paralysis. *How* can this be coincidence??
original | Report Abuse

Jukka Kuusisto fpppffppffmpmpp:

>> I just suffered my fourth consecutive untimely demise due to
>>paralysis, playing as a merman each time.
> [...]
>>It doesn't seem statistically plausible. What's going on? Is paralysis
>>resistance dependant on race? It's not a matter of magic resistance,
>>because 2 of these deaths were due to red wasps.

> It is a matter of poison resistance. Letting wasps enter melee range without
> poison resistance will get every race and class paralysed and killed. Nothing
> special about merfolks in this respect.

The pieces come together....
In both cases, the red wasp came at me by surprise from around a
corner, while I was out of my poison resistant ice form.

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jukka Kuusisto fpppffppffmpmpp:

>> I just suffered my fourth consecutive untimely demise due to
>>paralysis, playing as a merman each time.
> [...]
>>It doesn't seem statistically plausible. What's going on? Is paralysis
>>resistance dependant on race? It's not a matter of magic resistance,
>>because 2 of these deaths were due to red wasps.
>
> It is a matter of poison resistance. Letting wasps enter melee range without
> poison resistance will get every race and class paralysed and killed. Nothing
> special about merfolks in this respect.

Practical advices: use ranged, offensive wands or polyphorm monster wand
against them, blinking, potions of speed, might, blinking, teleportation,
or run away, as the wasp would be a very hungry two headed troll, who could
kill your character in one turn (as it is in fact).

--
Greetings,
Loonie

On 30 Jun 2005 01:01:33 -0700, "Britto" <bcharles@metz.une.edu.au>
wrote:

>It's not a matter of magic resistance, because 2 of these deaths
>were due to red wasps. In each case, one sting was all they needed to
>get the infinite chain of paralysis going.

Do not let a red wasp be next to you. I repeat: Do NOT let a red wasp
be next to you.

For that matter, don't let a wasp of a different color be next to you.

I'd even recommend killing bees at range, but at least they're
somewhat survivable, unless you are a mage-type, in which case, you
should be killing everything remotely dangerous at range.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com