[Crawl] YACD - High Elf Crusader. Further progress

Just to keep you guys posted. Seem to be doing quite well and am on
level 3 of the lair having only been there and the main dungeon to
level 8. Nearly got ambushed by a hydra but managed to read teleport
and invoke beserk to keep me alive long enough to get some distance
from it and then blast it with spells.

I'm not sure about my armour choices at the moment... Also my spells as
I have both Enchantment and Conjuration and it's tricky to know which
is best. Throw flame has been useful but I'm a way from making fire
bolt better.

Found Tukimas, and a book with the fire spells in it as well as my
starting book. Stashed in the Lair. Anyway chardump away:

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Slicer

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 10 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 10852 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 11639
Exp Needed : 787 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 0 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: +
Gold : 119 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 67
MP : 24
Str : 18 Weapon : +2,+0 scimitar
Int : 18 Armour : +1 elf ring mail (R-magic)
Dex : 15 Shield :
AC : 9 Helmet :
Evasion : 11 Cloak : +0 cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +0 pair of gloves
Boots : +1 pair of boots
Play time : 06:43:26 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
Turns : 19151 Ring : +5 ring of strength
Ring : ring of teleport control

You are in the Ecumenical Temple.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+0 scimitar (weapon)
b - a +0,+2 blowgun
Missiles
u - 21 poisoned needles
J - 15 poisoned elven needles
Armour
f - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
g - a leather armour
r - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
A - a +0 cloak (worn)
K - a pair of orcish boots
Z - a +1 elven ring mail of magic resistance (worn)
Magical devices
o - a wand of digging
q - a wand of draining
x - a wand of flame
Comestibles
d - 2 bread rations
Scrolls
p - a scroll of detect curse
C - a scroll of teleportation
Jewellery
i - an amulet of warding
m - a ring of teleport control (left hand)
n - a +5 ring of strength (right hand)
v - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
D - an amulet of resist corrosion
M - an amulet of conservation
Potions
c - an oily clear potion
s - 2 potions of heal wounds
w - a potion of speed
z - a potion of healing
E - a potion of might
G - 2 yellow potions
I - a potion of restore abilities
P - a fuming clear potion
V - 2 slimy brown potions
W - 2 red potions
Magical staves
F - a smoking staff

// Makes my fire bolt cruddy rather than Fair so probably an ice
enhancing staff? I've never used staves before, how do they work in
Crawl? //

You have 4 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 5 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 10 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
+ Level 7 Dodging
+ Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 6 Spellcasting
+ Level 5 Conjurations
+ Level 9 Enchantments
+ Level 7 Fire Magic
+ Level 2 Evocations

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Great 2

b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2

c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Great 3

d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2

e - Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment Excellent 2

f - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Great 2

g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Fair 5

h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Great 3

Last Messages

The mace evaporates.
The spear evaporates.
You offer a prayer to Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is greatly pleased with you.

...............................­.#
.............._................­.#

}.............................­.#

...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
.................@.............­.#
..........}....................­<#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
..............._...............­.#

Vanquished Creatures
2 hydras (Lair:3)
4 giant brown frogs
A komodo dragon (Lair:1)
2 hippogriffs
3 spiny frogs
5 yaks (Lair:3)
3 ogres
2 phantoms
4 giant lizards
4 gila monsters
2 centaurs
Sigmund (D:7)
Blork the orc (D:5)
7 giant frogs
4 brown snakes
2 imps (D:7)
An orc priest (D:3)
4 hounds (D:6)
8 giant ants
2 orc wizards
4 giant iguanas
4 sheep (Lair:3)
7 gnolls
14 snakes
3 worms
2 giant centipedes (Lair:1)
A giant mite (D:7)
14 green rats
A giant eyeball (D:7)
2 giant ant zombies
16 giant bats
12 giant cockroaches
4 giant geckos
32 grey rats
15 hobgoblins
10 jackals
18 kobolds
7 orcs
10 quokkas
8 giant newts
15 goblins
An orc zombie (D:8)
22 rats
A rat zombie (D:6)
3 small snakes
A fungus (Lair:1)
A plant (Lair:1)

290 creatures vanquished.
10 answers Last reply
More about crawl yacd high crusader progress
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Hydra heads dont regen if you whack it with a bladed, fire-branded
    weapon. 8)
    .... I think. Worth a try when you're more powerful though.

    And be sure to read a enchant weapon 3 scroll while the temp brand is
    on the weapon to make it perminate. At least, it should work with the
    fire brand.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I just tried Tukima's Dance! Kills ogres in one hit! How long does it
    last? Killed lots of things with my dancing blade! However what happens
    when it gets hit? Can it be killed or if it gets hit does it just drop
    to the ground like the weapons in the hall of blades?

    Will Elyvilon get upset with me if it "dies"?

    Rich
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Thanks again guys. Seems like I'm doing very well with this guy. Fire
    bolt is now very powerful and my melee is pretty good too. (although I
    take too much damage from some of the guys, low ac not enough evasion I
    guess).

    Again I've moved on a bit. Some useful finds so as I'm still learning
    I'll spam you lot again :)

    Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

    Crux the Slicer

    Race : High Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
    Class : Crusader Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
    Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
    Level : 12 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
    Exp : 25237 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
    Next Level : 43499
    Exp Needed : 18262 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
    Spls.Left : 6 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: +
    Gold : 181 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
    Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
    HP : 81
    MP : 28
    Str : 18 Weapon :
    Int : 19 Armour : +1 elf ring mail (R-magic)
    Dex : 16 Shield :
    AC : 9 Helmet :
    Evasion : 12 Cloak : +0 cloak
    Shield : 0 Gloves : +0 pair of gloves
    Boots : +1 pair of boots
    Play time : 09:25:53 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
    Turns : 27106 Ring : +5 ring of strength
    Ring : ring of teleport control

    You are in the Lair.
    You worship Elyvilon.
    Elyvilon is greatly pleased with you.
    You are not hungry.

    Inventory:
    Hand weapons
    a - a +5,+0 scimitar

    *** Really want to find some enchant II and III, but when will I be
    *** replacing this with a bigger blade?

    Armour
    f - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
    r - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
    u - a +1 steam dragon armour

    *** Light but doesn't offer much. I do have a mail of cold resistance

    A - a +0 cloak (worn)
    Z - a +1 elven ring mail of magic resistance (worn)
    Magical devices
    k - a wand of frost
    o - a wand of digging
    N - a wand of healing (0)
    Comestibles
    j - 4 meat rations
    Scrolls
    i - a scroll of identify
    C - 5 scrolls of teleportation
    L - 4 scrolls of remove curse
    Jewellery
    d - the amulet of Cekugob
    This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
    magically summoned.
    It affects your AC (+1).
    It affects your evasion (+1).
    It insulates you from electricity.
    It protects you from poison.
    It partially protects you from negative energy.
    It prevents most forms of teleportation.
    It speeds your metabolism.

    *** Always seem to be hungering and no "otG. Save this until I get one?
    *** Which forms are most forms when it comes to teleport prevention?

    m - a ring of teleport control (left hand)
    n - a +5 ring of strength (right hand)
    v - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
    Potions
    s - 2 potions of heal wounds
    w - 3 potions of speed
    z - 5 potions of healing
    E - 2 potions of might
    Books
    c - a book of Flames
    e - a book of Tukima
    g - a book of War Chants
    h - a book of Power

    *** In addition just found a bookshop. Don't have much gold but the
    *** orc mines should be easy enough now. Any useful to me?

    Level 7 of the Lair
    Cyqil Ha's Book Shop
    a book of Control (1105 gold)
    a book of the Earth (1105 gold)
    a book of Tukima (1615 gold)
    a book of Control (1105 gold)
    a book of Power (765 gold)
    a book of the Warp (1530 gold)
    a book of Changes (425 gold)
    a book of Conjurations (510 gold)
    a book of Minor Magic (340 gold)
    a book of Party Tricks (850 gold)
    a manual of Bows (1955 gold)

    Magical staves
    b - a staff of power

    *** More spell points, but anything else? Not much use when I wanna
    *** swap back to my weapon perhaps

    You have 329 experience left.

    Skills:
    + Level 6 Fighting
    - Level 4 Short Blades
    + Level 11 Long Blades
    - Level 1 Darts
    + Level 8 Dodging
    + Level 4 Stealth
    + Level 1 Stabbing
    + Level 8 Spellcasting
    + Level 9 Conjurations
    + Level 10 Enchantments
    + Level 10 Fire Magic
    + Level 2 Evocations

    You have 6 spell levels left.

    *** Haste is now learnable, but do I need it when I've got beserk?
    *** What other spells/books should I be looking for?

    You know the following spells:

    Your Spells Type Success
    Level
    a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
    b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2
    c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
    d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
    e - Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment Excellent 2
    f - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 2
    g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Very Good 5
    h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Excellent 3

    Last Messages

    Floor.
    Floor.
    You see a staff of cold here.
    Floor.

    #
    ##
    ##.
    ##.#
    ##.##
    ##.##
    ### ##.##
    ##.#### ##.##
    ###..@..## ##.##
    ##.......|#####.##
    #///.......#!#.##
    #....#........##
    ##....#.#..#!##
    #.....###.#!##
    ##.#...#...#.##
    ##.#...##.#..?##
    #.><..##.....??#

    Vanquished Creatures
    4 hydras
    2 elephant slugs (Lair:6)
    2 dancing weapons

    *BUG*! This was my own blade friendly dying. Wonder if I got exp for
    it?

    A hill giant (D:10)
    Erolcha (D:10)
    A black snake (Lair:7)
    7 giant brown frogs
    2 giant snails (Lair:4)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:

    > I'm not sure about my armour choices at the moment...

    Heavy armour is, from posts I've read (including yours) and from my rare
    experiences with it, very powerful... but light armour, including elven
    armour makes life simpler for a semi-caster. Magic resistance isn't much
    of an ego, though; I'd dump it for something with res-[fire|cold], even
    a robe (what you lose in AC you gain in evasion... but then I'm an
    evasion fanatic), or maybe even just with better pluses. +2 is pretty
    easy to reach. Also, scale mail gives one more point of AC for the same
    evasion loss. I disdain R-magic so much, I'd even take +1 ESM over that
    suit, but I'm also a fanatical magic-resistance-disdainer. :-)

    > Also my spells as
    > I have both Enchantment and Conjuration and it's tricky to know which
    > is best. Throw flame has been useful but I'm a way from making fire
    > bolt better.

    I'd call Enchantments a bit more useful, because it fits like a jigsaw
    piece with the fighting side of your character. Having conjurations to
    take out things you don't want to meet hand-to-hand is also very useful,
    but definitely somewhat more XP should go to enchantments. As a high
    elf, you're better at 'em anyway, IIRC.

    > Found Tukimas, and a book with the fire spells in it as well as my
    > starting book.

    If you have stash tracking turned on, it can be worth it to learn
    Evaporate, then go back and pick up all any detrimental potions you left
    lying around, plus buy up the ones in shops. It's far more limited in
    number of times you can use it than Mephitic Cloud (only as many times
    as you can find bad potions), but this way you don't have to wait for
    Mephitic Cloud.

    Besides, you're already playing Scavenger Hunt with Elyvilon anyway, so
    why not pull out all the stops? :-)

    More seriously... it's a mini pain in the neck and a waste of time if
    you find mephitic cloud soon, but it can occasionally be a lifesaver.

    > Str : 18 Weapon : +2,+0 scimitar

    Rock and roll!
    > Int : 18
    > Dex : 15

    Boost your Dex more; swords aren't axes and evasion isn't armour. :-)

    > Turns : 19151 Ring : +5 ring of strength

    Oopsss... now I get it.

    > Potions
    > c - an oily clear potion
    > s - 2 potions of heal wounds
    > w - a potion of speed
    > z - a potion of healing
    > E - a potion of might
    > G - 2 yellow potions
    > I - a potion of restore abilities
    > P - a fuming clear potion
    > V - 2 slimy brown potions
    > W - 2 red potions

    Actually, you might have all you need for a lifetime's worth of
    Evaporate already in your backpack ;-)

    > Magical staves
    > F - a smoking staff
    >
    > // Makes my fire bolt cruddy rather than Fair so probably an ice
    > enhancing staff?

    Yes.

    I've never used staves before, how do they work in
    > Crawl? //

    Most staves are tied to, and enhance spells that make use of, a school.
    The enhancement is double: better casting rate and more powerful
    casting. It's multiplicative, so it helps little or none if the school
    it's enhancing is low or nil.

    Staves (and rings) of wizardry provide a small but significant additive
    boost that helps casting rate only. There are several schools that
    aren't covered by a staff, let alone a ring (that's just ice and fire),
    and wizardry can be useful there. Example: for casting Identify while
    sitting at your stash, if you've get Selective Amnesia.

    Staves of energy reduce food cost for spellcasting to 0. If you're great
    in a school or schools but mediocre in Spellcasting and Int themselves
    (SxI = food cost discount, potentially up to the full food cost of a
    spell if they're high enough), it can be great because... because...
    err, ask somebody who uses them more than I do.

    Staves of channeling can be evoked to restore magic points, though the
    more you need them (the less MP you have), the higher the chance that
    the use attempt will backfire and completely drain your MP instead.
    Evocations skill also plays a role. Great for spriggans, good for some
    others races/roles, probably not worth the weight for you.

    > You have 4 experience left.
    >
    > Skills:
    > + Level 5 Fighting
    > - Level 4 Short Blades
    > + Level 10 Long Blades
    > - Level 1 Darts
    > + Level 7 Dodging
    > + Level 4 Stealth
    > + Level 6 Spellcasting
    > + Level 5 Conjurations
    > + Level 9 Enchantments
    > + Level 7 Fire Magic
    > + Level 2 Evocations

    The life of a hybrid character is never simple, is it? Though I wouldn't
    go so far as to turn off Enchantments and Long Blades, I might do some
    victory dances to raise some of the low-level stuff if I were you
    (inasmuch as low-level stuff is cheaper to raise than higher-level
    stuff). More Evocations will make wands more useful in emergencies and
    start getting you some free charge count ID; more stealth will help you
    better pick and choose your battles and your terms of battle. Pumping up
    Air (by repeatedly casting Repel Missiles "into thin air" with
    Enchantments turned off) will help you reach Deflect Missiles faster
    than if you try to make it via Enchantments skill alone, and
    Enchantment/Air has several other useful spells you'll want to have
    reliable as well. A bit more Spellcasting (for more slots) would also be
    nice.

    And Darts! Your Darts skill is totally way too low!

    (Kidding!)

    > h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Great 3

    I've always been afraid to learn this spell for some reason. Good to see
    some reports on its use.

    Considering that the gods, even Vehumet, utterly ignore dancing-weapon
    kills for piety gain, there's some hope that they'll be ignored for
    piety loss as well, but I don't really know.

    Erik
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    > Probably a better ego rather than bigger/better base

    Was never really worried about that as I can flame/vorpalise the sword
    pretty much any time I like. Although once I can perm brand it I guess
    I wont need to worry. So as I expeected flame is better against
    non-fire resistant, but vorpal is of course universally useful. Flame
    much better against hydras.

    > Recharge this and carry it with you in the Elven Halls instead of
    > healing potions, unless you're really short for recharging or you plan
    > to be wearing an amulet of conservation in there.

    I've yet to ID scroll of recharging... But yeah I had thought of that.
    Although I recall magical contamination last time from casting
    haste/heal too much on myself.

    Also cheers for the spell advice. I find myself not needing to beserk
    much lately so may well learn haste and see how I go with that.

    Starting to miss see invisible too. Couple of unseen horrors I ran away
    from (open level so no chance to trap them in a corridor). Think I'll
    carry on to the bottom of the Lair, then mines for cash. then we'll see
    where we are :)

    Rich
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Ah. Casting haste on myself can also contaminate me with magical
    energies right? Any sure fire way to limit the damage?

    I've mutated 3 times now! Not a bad set, but I've stopped casting haste
    on myself, but whilst hasted from a casting this happened:

    ##....###.................# Crux the Slicer
    #...).##.#...#............# High Elf
    ##.#......#.##............. HP: 56/81
    ####.##.#...##..........%# Magic: 29/29
    ### #...####.##........<<).. AC: 7 (0)
    ###.####..## #####.##......).. EV: 12
    ##....#....#### #.## ##........ Str: 17
    #.%.......###.##l... #......#.. Int: 19
    ##..%......#...@# ##........ Dex: 16
    ###.............# # #......... Gold: 199
    ##..........%)............... Experience: 12/41907 (143)
    #.....<.......#....[ ........ Level 10 of the Lair
    #.............# ... #...... a) +5,+1 scimitar (flame)
    #..........%...# .. .. ..
    ##.............# .
    #..............# Glow Fast
    #.............##
    Your Long Blades skill increases!
    You hit the giant lizard.
    You burn the giant lizard.
    The giant lizard is lightly wounded.
    You feel more contaminated with magical energies.

    Normal?? Getting more contaminated just by hitting something whilst
    hasted?

    Rich
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Right that's enough for me for today. I think I've now got enough kit
    to take on the bottom of the elven halls. Just picked up my nice new
    shiney wielded sword :) Plan is to send in my other blade via takuma's
    dance and then clean up the mess with fire bolts or my sword.
    Marvellous!

    Would love some more evasion but just haven't found anything. Think my
    rings are probably optimal for now. Much fun this guy!

    Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

    Crux the Slicer

    Race : High Elf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : .
    Class : Crusader Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
    Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
    Level : 14 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
    Exp : 99881 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
    Next Level : 110999
    Exp Needed : 11118 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
    Spls.Left : 3 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
    Gold : 590 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
    Clarity : + Ctrl.Flight: .
    HP : 85/91
    MP : 32
    Str : 12 Weapon : +4,+0 elf long sword (speed)
    Int : 19 Armour : +0 robe (resist)
    Dex : 16 Shield :
    AC : 7 Helmet :
    Evasion : 14 Cloak : +0 elf cloak
    Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves
    Boots : +1 pair of boots
    Play time : 14:32:03 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
    Turns : 47500 Ring : +3,+3 ring of slaying
    Ring : ring of wizardry

    You are in the Elven Halls.
    You worship Elyvilon.
    Elyvilon is exalted by your worship.
    You are full.

    Inventory:
    Hand weapons
    a - a +5,+1 scimitar of flaming
    n - an uncursed elven long sword
    q - a +3,+0 elven long sword of flaming
    t - an uncursed elven long sword
    v - an uncursed elven long sword
    E - an uncursed elven scimitar of freezing
    O - an uncursed elven long sword of slicing
    P - a +4,+0 elven long sword of speed (weapon)
    Q - an uncursed elven long sword

    *** I have a mountain of swords for Ely if I can be bothered to make
    the trip :)

    Armour
    k - a +0 robe of resistance (worn)
    l - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
    r - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
    H - a +2 pair of gloves (worn)
    Magical devices
    g - a wand of fire
    o - a wand of digging
    w - an ivory wand
    y - a wand of slowing
    A - a wand of random effects
    C - a wand of disintegration (7)
    N - a wand of healing (4)

    *** Time to go stash those I don't need.

    Comestibles
    j - 4 meat rations
    Scrolls
    f - 2 scrolls of remove curse
    h - a scroll of blinking
    x - 2 scrolls of teleportation
    B - a scroll of recharging
    L - a scroll of magic mapping
    M - a scroll of identify
    Jewellery
    c - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
    d - the amulet of Cekugob
    This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
    magically summoned.
    It affects your AC (+1).
    It affects your evasion (+1).
    It insulates you from electricity.
    It protects you from poison.
    It partially protects you from negative energy.
    It prevents most forms of teleportation.
    It speeds your metabolism.

    i - a +3,+3 ring of slaying (right hand)
    m - a ring of teleport control
    D - a ring of sustenance
    G - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
    J - a ring of levitation
    K - a cursed ring of teleportation
    Potions
    e - 3 potions of restore abilities
    s - 3 potions of heal wounds
    u - a potion of invisibility
    z - 4 potions of healing
    F - 2 potions of speed
    I - 3 potions of might
    Magical staves
    b - a thin staff

    Many of my spells go to Perfect when wielding this. Will ID when I've
    got time but don't really seem to need it

    You have 224 experience left.

    Skills:
    + Level 7 Fighting
    - Level 4 Short Blades
    + Level 14 Long Blades
    - Level 1 Darts
    + Level 9 Dodging
    + Level 6 Stealth
    + Level 2 Stabbing
    + Level 10 Spellcasting
    + Level 14 Conjurations
    + Level 10 Enchantments
    + Level 13 Fire Magic
    + Level 1 Invocations
    + Level 3 Evocations

    You have 3 spell levels left.
    You know the following spells:

    Your Spells Type Success
    Level
    a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
    b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2

    *** No longer need these... what book do I need for selective amnesia?

    c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
    d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
    e - Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment Excellent 2
    f - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 2
    g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Excellent 5
    h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Excellent 3
    i - Haste Enchantment Very Good 6
    j - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3

    *** for when you just don't want those spells said at you :)

    Mutations & Other Weirdness
    Your digestive system is specialised to digest meat.

    *** Corpse tastic with my red poison amulet

    You are weak (Str -1).
    Armour fits poorly on your deformed body.

    *** Don't think this hurts me any at the moment?

    You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.

    *** Nice

    Your body is slowly deteriorating.

    *** Recovers easily enough

    Last Messages

    The deep elf conjurer is almost dead.
    You are wielding a +4,+0 elven long sword of speed.
    You kill the deep elf conjurer!
    You see here an elven whip.

    ##............# #.....<...# #
    #............# ##.).##.#.# #
    #..).%.......# #.......#.# #
    ##........##.## #.#######.# #
    ...........##.# #.# #.# #
    .....########.# #####.# #.# #
    .....# #.# #.....# #.# #
    .....# #.# #.....# #.# #
    .....# #.# #@....# ##.####
    .....# #.###)....######......
    ############.#...[....)......[...
    ............%.....###.#.##########
    ##.......#######.# #.#...........
    #.......##......# #.#.##########
    #...........#######.#..[)..#
    #...........# #............#
    ######......###.###.#......#

    Vanquished Creatures
    A frost giant (shapeshifter) (Elf:3)
    2 deep elf annihilators (Elf:2)
    4 death yaks (Lair:9)
    5 hydras
    4 elephant slugs
    15 deep elf knights
    2 dancing weapons
    An unseen horror (D:12)
    4 hill giants
    An orc knight (Orc:3)
    Joseph (Elf:3)
    Erolcha (D:10)
    An orc sorcerer (Orc:3)
    6 slime creatures (D:12)
    A queen ant (D:12)
    7 black snakes
    18 giant brown frogs
    Urug (D:12)
    2 cyclopes
    Michael (D:12)
    2 trolls
    7 giant snails
    3 komodo dragons
    Donald (D:11)
    <snip the rest>
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    >>Probably a better ego rather than bigger/better base
    >
    > Was never really worried about that as I can flame/vorpalise the sword
    > pretty much any time I like. Although once I can perm brand it I guess
    > I wont need to worry. So as I expeected flame is better against
    > non-fire resistant, but vorpal is of course universally useful. Flame
    > much better against hydras.

    The thing is, speed is a very, very good ego.

    As far as I understand, vorpalise does roughly 25% extra damage, flaming
    against non-resistants 50% extra, and speed halves time per blow and
    (sadly more importantly in the long run) sets the basement for time per
    blow to 1/2 the original basement, plus 10. This is all off the top of
    my head, and especially the step where the 10 is added might be
    misplaced; it might be before the halving.

    This doesn't mean that speed is four times as good as vorpal, though. If
    a given enemy's armour blocks 20 hp (of course it's variable, but let's
    pretend for simplicity's sake it's not) and you do (let's pretend again)
    21 damage, then a vorpal blade will do 6 damage, while the speed weapon,
    even though it does (let's pretend) 2 blows in the same time, only does
    2 damage.

    Again, this is off the top of my head and can contain errors, but I
    believe the basic principle is sound.

    So although speed is an extremely good ego, the best even considering
    the above in my opinion, you should pay close attention to maximizing
    your damage in order to minimize the percentual role that enemy armour
    plays.

    One small practical consideration to keep in mind, though. You are
    probably accustomed, from fighting with slower weapons, to being able to
    simple tap-tap-tap-tap without thinking in situations such as this:

    #.#
    #@#
    #####u#####
    ....uuuuu...
    .....uu.u.u.

    With a weapon of speed, if you don't keep your eyes open, you'll
    occasionally fight "too fast" and end up here:

    #.#
    #.#
    #####@#####
    ....uuuuuu..
    .....uu.u...

    ....which can be a bit dangerous sometimes.

    >>Recharge this and carry it with you in the Elven Halls instead of
    >>healing potions, unless you're really short for recharging or you plan
    >>to be wearing an amulet of conservation in there.
    >
    > I've yet to ID scroll of recharging... But yeah I had thought of that.
    > Although I recall magical contamination last time from casting
    > haste/heal too much on myself.

    Wands of healing aren't mutagenic.

    > Also cheers for the spell advice. I find myself not needing to beserk
    > much lately so may well learn haste and see how I go with that.

    Wandering around hasted too much via anything but potions, on the other
    hand, *is* mutagenic, especially if you're wearing an AoRS. One casting,
    even with the AoRS, should usually be OK, but give yourself plenty of
    time to cool down after that.

    > Starting to miss see invisible too. Couple of unseen horrors I ran away
    > from (open level so no chance to trap them in a corridor).

    Just make your own, using that wand of digging. There's usually enough
    space at the edge of open levels to do so.

    Erik
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    > Ah. Casting haste on myself can also contaminate me with magical
    > energies right? Any sure fire way to limit the damage?

    [...]

    > You hit the giant lizard.
    > You burn the giant lizard.
    > The giant lizard is lightly wounded.
    > You feel more contaminated with magical energies.
    >
    > Normal?? Getting more contaminated just by hitting something whilst
    > hasted?

    Just like the incident with the dwarf and Okawaru, it's only a
    coinciding in time of contamination (due to an extension-of-haste event
    caused by the AoRS) with your combat.

    Erik
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dafty wrote:
    > Right that's enough for me for today. I think I've now got enough kit
    > to take on the bottom of the elven halls.

    You got rock AND roll, baby.

    > Magical staves
    > b - a thin staff
    >
    > Many of my spells go to Perfect when wielding this. Will ID when I've
    > got time but don't really seem to need it

    Probably Enchantment. Will be useful for casting Deflect Missiles
    earlier than you'd normally be able to, and Deflect Missiles is in turn
    a marvelous calling card to present before yakking with yaktaurs.

    > Your Spells Type Success
    > Level
    > a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
    > b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2
    >
    > *** No longer need these... what book do I need for selective amnesia?

    Enchantments or Practical Magic.

    > Armour fits poorly on your deformed body.
    >
    > *** Don't think this hurts me any at the moment?

    Cuts AC from body armour (not counting pluses) to 50% rounded up, so no.

    Erik

Crusader Video Games