[Crawl] YACD - High Elf Crusader. Further progress

Just to keep you guys posted. Seem to be doing quite well and am on
level 3 of the lair having only been there and the main dungeon to
level 8. Nearly got ambushed by a hydra but managed to read teleport
and invoke beserk to keep me alive long enough to get some distance
from it and then blast it with spells.

I'm not sure about my armour choices at the moment... Also my spells as
I have both Enchantment and Conjuration and it's tricky to know which
is best. Throw flame has been useful but I'm a way from making fire
bolt better.

Found Tukimas, and a book with the fire spells in it as well as my
starting book. Stashed in the Lair. Anyway chardump away:

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Slicer

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 10 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 10852 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 11639
Exp Needed : 787 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 0 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: +
Gold : 119 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 67
MP : 24
Str : 18 Weapon : +2,+0 scimitar
Int : 18 Armour : +1 elf ring mail (R-magic)
Dex : 15 Shield :
AC : 9 Helmet :
Evasion : 11 Cloak : +0 cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +0 pair of gloves
Boots : +1 pair of boots
Play time : 06:43:26 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
Turns : 19151 Ring : +5 ring of strength
Ring : ring of teleport control

You are in the Ecumenical Temple.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +2,+0 scimitar (weapon)
b - a +0,+2 blowgun
Missiles
u - 21 poisoned needles
J - 15 poisoned elven needles
Armour
f - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
g - a leather armour
r - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
A - a +0 cloak (worn)
K - a pair of orcish boots
Z - a +1 elven ring mail of magic resistance (worn)
Magical devices
o - a wand of digging
q - a wand of draining
x - a wand of flame
Comestibles
d - 2 bread rations
Scrolls
p - a scroll of detect curse
C - a scroll of teleportation
Jewellery
i - an amulet of warding
m - a ring of teleport control (left hand)
n - a +5 ring of strength (right hand)
v - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
D - an amulet of resist corrosion
M - an amulet of conservation
Potions
c - an oily clear potion
s - 2 potions of heal wounds
w - a potion of speed
z - a potion of healing
E - a potion of might
G - 2 yellow potions
I - a potion of restore abilities
P - a fuming clear potion
V - 2 slimy brown potions
W - 2 red potions
Magical staves
F - a smoking staff

// Makes my fire bolt cruddy rather than Fair so probably an ice
enhancing staff? I've never used staves before, how do they work in
Crawl? //

You have 4 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 5 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 10 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
+ Level 7 Dodging
+ Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 6 Spellcasting
+ Level 5 Conjurations
+ Level 9 Enchantments
+ Level 7 Fire Magic
+ Level 2 Evocations

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Great 2

b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2

c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Great 3

d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2

e - Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment Excellent 2

f - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Great 2

g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Fair 5

h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Great 3

Last Messages

The mace evaporates.
The spear evaporates.
You offer a prayer to Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is greatly pleased with you.

...............................­.#
.............._................­.#

}.............................­.#

...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
.................@.............­.#
..........}....................­<#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
...............................­.#
..............._...............­.#

Vanquished Creatures
2 hydras (Lair:3)
4 giant brown frogs
A komodo dragon (Lair:1)
2 hippogriffs
3 spiny frogs
5 yaks (Lair:3)
3 ogres
2 phantoms
4 giant lizards
4 gila monsters
2 centaurs
Sigmund (D:7)
Blork the orc (D:5)
7 giant frogs
4 brown snakes
2 imps (D:7)
An orc priest (D:3)
4 hounds (D:6)
8 giant ants
2 orc wizards
4 giant iguanas
4 sheep (Lair:3)
7 gnolls
14 snakes
3 worms
2 giant centipedes (Lair:1)
A giant mite (D:7)
14 green rats
A giant eyeball (D:7)
2 giant ant zombies
16 giant bats
12 giant cockroaches
4 giant geckos
32 grey rats
15 hobgoblins
10 jackals
18 kobolds
7 orcs
10 quokkas
8 giant newts
15 goblins
An orc zombie (D:8)
22 rats
A rat zombie (D:6)
3 small snakes
A fungus (Lair:1)
A plant (Lair:1)

290 creatures vanquished.

Hydra heads dont regen if you whack it with a bladed, fire-branded
weapon. 8)
.... I think. Worth a try when you're more powerful though.

And be sure to read a enchant weapon 3 scroll while the temp brand is
on the weapon to make it perminate. At least, it should work with the
fire brand.

I just tried Tukima's Dance! Kills ogres in one hit! How long does it
last? Killed lots of things with my dancing blade! However what happens
when it gets hit? Can it be killed or if it gets hit does it just drop
to the ground like the weapons in the hall of blades?

Will Elyvilon get upset with me if it "dies"?

Rich

Thanks again guys. Seems like I'm doing very well with this guy. Fire
bolt is now very powerful and my melee is pretty good too. (although I
take too much damage from some of the guys, low ac not enough evasion I
guess).

Again I've moved on a bit. Some useful finds so as I'm still learning
I'll spam you lot again :)

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Slicer

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : .
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 12 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 25237 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 43499
Exp Needed : 18262 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 6 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: +
Gold : 181 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 81
MP : 28
Str : 18 Weapon :
Int : 19 Armour : +1 elf ring mail (R-magic)
Dex : 16 Shield :
AC : 9 Helmet :
Evasion : 12 Cloak : +0 cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +0 pair of gloves
Boots : +1 pair of boots
Play time : 09:25:53 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
Turns : 27106 Ring : +5 ring of strength
Ring : ring of teleport control

You are in the Lair.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +5,+0 scimitar

*** Really want to find some enchant II and III, but when will I be
*** replacing this with a bigger blade?

Armour
f - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
r - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
u - a +1 steam dragon armour

*** Light but doesn't offer much. I do have a mail of cold resistance

A - a +0 cloak (worn)
Z - a +1 elven ring mail of magic resistance (worn)
Magical devices
k - a wand of frost
o - a wand of digging
N - a wand of healing (0)
Comestibles
j - 4 meat rations
Scrolls
i - a scroll of identify
C - 5 scrolls of teleportation
L - 4 scrolls of remove curse
Jewellery
d - the amulet of Cekugob
This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
magically summoned.
It affects your AC (+1).
It affects your evasion (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It prevents most forms of teleportation.
It speeds your metabolism.

*** Always seem to be hungering and no "otG. Save this until I get one?
*** Which forms are most forms when it comes to teleport prevention?

m - a ring of teleport control (left hand)
n - a +5 ring of strength (right hand)
v - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
Potions
s - 2 potions of heal wounds
w - 3 potions of speed
z - 5 potions of healing
E - 2 potions of might
Books
c - a book of Flames
e - a book of Tukima
g - a book of War Chants
h - a book of Power

*** In addition just found a bookshop. Don't have much gold but the
*** orc mines should be easy enough now. Any useful to me?

Level 7 of the Lair
Cyqil Ha's Book Shop
a book of Control (1105 gold)
a book of the Earth (1105 gold)
a book of Tukima (1615 gold)
a book of Control (1105 gold)
a book of Power (765 gold)
a book of the Warp (1530 gold)
a book of Changes (425 gold)
a book of Conjurations (510 gold)
a book of Minor Magic (340 gold)
a book of Party Tricks (850 gold)
a manual of Bows (1955 gold)

Magical staves
b - a staff of power

*** More spell points, but anything else? Not much use when I wanna
*** swap back to my weapon perhaps

You have 329 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 6 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 11 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
+ Level 8 Dodging
+ Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 1 Stabbing
+ Level 8 Spellcasting
+ Level 9 Conjurations
+ Level 10 Enchantments
+ Level 10 Fire Magic
+ Level 2 Evocations

You have 6 spell levels left.

*** Haste is now learnable, but do I need it when I've got beserk?
*** What other spells/books should I be looking for?

You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2
c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
e - Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment Excellent 2
f - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 2
g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Very Good 5
h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Excellent 3

Last Messages

Floor.
Floor.
You see a staff of cold here.
Floor.

#
##
##.
##.#
##.##
##.##
### ##.##
##.#### ##.##
###..@..## ##.##
##.......|#####.##
#///.......#!#.##
#....#........##
##....#.#..#!##
#.....###.#!##
##.#...#...#.##
##.#...##.#..?##
#.><..##.....??#

Vanquished Creatures
4 hydras
2 elephant slugs (Lair:6)
2 dancing weapons

*BUG*! This was my own blade friendly dying. Wonder if I got exp for
it?

A hill giant (D:10)
Erolcha (D:10)
A black snake (Lair:7)
7 giant brown frogs
2 giant snails (Lair:4)

Dafty wrote:

> I'm not sure about my armour choices at the moment...

Heavy armour is, from posts I've read (including yours) and from my rare
experiences with it, very powerful... but light armour, including elven
armour makes life simpler for a semi-caster. Magic resistance isn't much
of an ego, though; I'd dump it for something with res-[fire|cold], even
a robe (what you lose in AC you gain in evasion... but then I'm an
evasion fanatic), or maybe even just with better pluses. +2 is pretty
easy to reach. Also, scale mail gives one more point of AC for the same
evasion loss. I disdain R-magic so much, I'd even take +1 ESM over that
suit, but I'm also a fanatical magic-resistance-disdainer. :)

> Also my spells as
> I have both Enchantment and Conjuration and it's tricky to know which
> is best. Throw flame has been useful but I'm a way from making fire
> bolt better.

I'd call Enchantments a bit more useful, because it fits like a jigsaw
piece with the fighting side of your character. Having conjurations to
take out things you don't want to meet hand-to-hand is also very useful,
but definitely somewhat more XP should go to enchantments. As a high
elf, you're better at 'em anyway, IIRC.

> Found Tukimas, and a book with the fire spells in it as well as my
> starting book.

If you have stash tracking turned on, it can be worth it to learn
Evaporate, then go back and pick up all any detrimental potions you left
lying around, plus buy up the ones in shops. It's far more limited in
number of times you can use it than Mephitic Cloud (only as many times
as you can find bad potions), but this way you don't have to wait for
Mephitic Cloud.

Besides, you're already playing Scavenger Hunt with Elyvilon anyway, so
why not pull out all the stops? :)

More seriously... it's a mini pain in the neck and a waste of time if
you find mephitic cloud soon, but it can occasionally be a lifesaver.

> Str : 18 Weapon : +2,+0 scimitar

Rock and roll!
> Int : 18
> Dex : 15

Boost your Dex more; swords aren't axes and evasion isn't armour. :)

> Turns : 19151 Ring : +5 ring of strength

Oopsss... now I get it.

> Potions
> c - an oily clear potion
> s - 2 potions of heal wounds
> w - a potion of speed
> z - a potion of healing
> E - a potion of might
> G - 2 yellow potions
> I - a potion of restore abilities
> P - a fuming clear potion
> V - 2 slimy brown potions
> W - 2 red potions

Actually, you might have all you need for a lifetime's worth of
Evaporate already in your backpack ;-)

> Magical staves
> F - a smoking staff
>
> // Makes my fire bolt cruddy rather than Fair so probably an ice
> enhancing staff?

Yes.

I've never used staves before, how do they work in
> Crawl? //

Most staves are tied to, and enhance spells that make use of, a school.
The enhancement is double: better casting rate and more powerful
casting. It's multiplicative, so it helps little or none if the school
it's enhancing is low or nil.

Staves (and rings) of wizardry provide a small but significant additive
boost that helps casting rate only. There are several schools that
aren't covered by a staff, let alone a ring (that's just ice and fire),
and wizardry can be useful there. Example: for casting Identify while
sitting at your stash, if you've get Selective Amnesia.

Staves of energy reduce food cost for spellcasting to 0. If you're great
in a school or schools but mediocre in Spellcasting and Int themselves
(SxI = food cost discount, potentially up to the full food cost of a
spell if they're high enough), it can be great because... because...
err, ask somebody who uses them more than I do.

Staves of channeling can be evoked to restore magic points, though the
more you need them (the less MP you have), the higher the chance that
the use attempt will backfire and completely drain your MP instead.
Evocations skill also plays a role. Great for spriggans, good for some
others races/roles, probably not worth the weight for you.

> You have 4 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> + Level 5 Fighting
> - Level 4 Short Blades
> + Level 10 Long Blades
> - Level 1 Darts
> + Level 7 Dodging
> + Level 4 Stealth
> + Level 6 Spellcasting
> + Level 5 Conjurations
> + Level 9 Enchantments
> + Level 7 Fire Magic
> + Level 2 Evocations

The life of a hybrid character is never simple, is it? Though I wouldn't
go so far as to turn off Enchantments and Long Blades, I might do some
victory dances to raise some of the low-level stuff if I were you
(inasmuch as low-level stuff is cheaper to raise than higher-level
stuff). More Evocations will make wands more useful in emergencies and
start getting you some free charge count ID; more stealth will help you
better pick and choose your battles and your terms of battle. Pumping up
Air (by repeatedly casting Repel Missiles "into thin air" with
Enchantments turned off) will help you reach Deflect Missiles faster
than if you try to make it via Enchantments skill alone, and
Enchantment/Air has several other useful spells you'll want to have
reliable as well. A bit more Spellcasting (for more slots) would also be
nice.

And Darts! Your Darts skill is totally way too low!

(Kidding!)

> h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Great 3

I've always been afraid to learn this spell for some reason. Good to see
some reports on its use.

Considering that the gods, even Vehumet, utterly ignore dancing-weapon
kills for piety gain, there's some hope that they'll be ignored for
piety loss as well, but I don't really know.

Erik

> Probably a better ego rather than bigger/better base

Was never really worried about that as I can flame/vorpalise the sword
pretty much any time I like. Although once I can perm brand it I guess
I wont need to worry. So as I expeected flame is better against
non-fire resistant, but vorpal is of course universally useful. Flame
much better against hydras.

> Recharge this and carry it with you in the Elven Halls instead of
> healing potions, unless you're really short for recharging or you plan
> to be wearing an amulet of conservation in there.

I've yet to ID scroll of recharging... But yeah I had thought of that.
Although I recall magical contamination last time from casting
haste/heal too much on myself.

Also cheers for the spell advice. I find myself not needing to beserk
much lately so may well learn haste and see how I go with that.

Starting to miss see invisible too. Couple of unseen horrors I ran away
from (open level so no chance to trap them in a corridor). Think I'll
carry on to the bottom of the Lair, then mines for cash. then we'll see
where we are :)

Rich

Ah. Casting haste on myself can also contaminate me with magical
energies right? Any sure fire way to limit the damage?

I've mutated 3 times now! Not a bad set, but I've stopped casting haste
on myself, but whilst hasted from a casting this happened:

##....###.................# Crux the Slicer
#...).##.#...#............# High Elf
##.#......#.##............. HP: 56/81
####.##.#...##..........%# Magic: 29/29
### #...####.##........<<).. AC: 7 (0)
###.####..## #####.##......).. EV: 12
##....#....#### #.## ##........ Str: 17
#.%.......###.##l... #......#.. Int: 19
##..%......#...@# ##........ Dex: 16
###.............# # #......... Gold: 199
##..........%)............... Experience: 12/41907 (143)
#.....<.......#....[ ........ Level 10 of the Lair
#.............# ... #...... a) +5,+1 scimitar (flame)
#..........%...# .. .. ..
##.............# .
#..............# Glow Fast
#.............##
Your Long Blades skill increases!
You hit the giant lizard.
You burn the giant lizard.
The giant lizard is lightly wounded.
You feel more contaminated with magical energies.

Normal?? Getting more contaminated just by hitting something whilst
hasted?

Rich

Right that's enough for me for today. I think I've now got enough kit
to take on the bottom of the elven halls. Just picked up my nice new
shiney wielded sword :) Plan is to send in my other blade via takuma's
dance and then clean up the mess with fire bolts or my sword.
Marvellous!

Would love some more evasion but just haven't found anything. Think my
rings are probably optimal for now. Much fun this guy!

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Slicer

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : .
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 14 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 99881 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 110999
Exp Needed : 11118 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 3 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 590 Res.Slow : + Levitation : .
Clarity : + Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 85/91
MP : 32
Str : 12 Weapon : +4,+0 elf long sword (speed)
Int : 19 Armour : +0 robe (resist)
Dex : 16 Shield :
AC : 7 Helmet :
Evasion : 14 Cloak : +0 elf cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves
Boots : +1 pair of boots
Play time : 14:32:03 Amulet : amulet of resist slowing
Turns : 47500 Ring : +3,+3 ring of slaying
Ring : ring of wizardry

You are in the Elven Halls.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +5,+1 scimitar of flaming
n - an uncursed elven long sword
q - a +3,+0 elven long sword of flaming
t - an uncursed elven long sword
v - an uncursed elven long sword
E - an uncursed elven scimitar of freezing
O - an uncursed elven long sword of slicing
P - a +4,+0 elven long sword of speed (weapon)
Q - an uncursed elven long sword

*** I have a mountain of swords for Ely if I can be bothered to make
the trip :)

Armour
k - a +0 robe of resistance (worn)
l - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
r - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
H - a +2 pair of gloves (worn)
Magical devices
g - a wand of fire
o - a wand of digging
w - an ivory wand
y - a wand of slowing
A - a wand of random effects
C - a wand of disintegration (7)
N - a wand of healing (4)

*** Time to go stash those I don't need.

Comestibles
j - 4 meat rations
Scrolls
f - 2 scrolls of remove curse
h - a scroll of blinking
x - 2 scrolls of teleportation
B - a scroll of recharging
L - a scroll of magic mapping
M - a scroll of identify
Jewellery
c - an amulet of resist slowing (around neck)
d - the amulet of Cekugob
This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
magically summoned.
It affects your AC (+1).
It affects your evasion (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It prevents most forms of teleportation.
It speeds your metabolism.

i - a +3,+3 ring of slaying (right hand)
m - a ring of teleport control
D - a ring of sustenance
G - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
J - a ring of levitation
K - a cursed ring of teleportation
Potions
e - 3 potions of restore abilities
s - 3 potions of heal wounds
u - a potion of invisibility
z - 4 potions of healing
F - 2 potions of speed
I - 3 potions of might
Magical staves
b - a thin staff

Many of my spells go to Perfect when wielding this. Will ID when I've
got time but don't really seem to need it

You have 224 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 7 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 14 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
+ Level 9 Dodging
+ Level 6 Stealth
+ Level 2 Stabbing
+ Level 10 Spellcasting
+ Level 14 Conjurations
+ Level 10 Enchantments
+ Level 13 Fire Magic
+ Level 1 Invocations
+ Level 3 Evocations

You have 3 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2

*** No longer need these... what book do I need for selective amnesia?

c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
e - Tukima's Vorpal Blade Enchantment Excellent 2
f - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 2
g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Excellent 5
h - Tukima's Dance Enchantment Excellent 3
i - Haste Enchantment Very Good 6
j - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3

*** for when you just don't want those spells said at you :)

Mutations & Other Weirdness
Your digestive system is specialised to digest meat.

*** Corpse tastic with my red poison amulet

You are weak (Str -1).
Armour fits poorly on your deformed body.

*** Don't think this hurts me any at the moment?

You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.

*** Nice

Your body is slowly deteriorating.

*** Recovers easily enough

Last Messages

The deep elf conjurer is almost dead.
You are wielding a +4,+0 elven long sword of speed.
You kill the deep elf conjurer!
You see here an elven whip.

##............# #.....<...# #
#............# ##.).##.#.# #
#..).%.......# #.......#.# #
##........##.## #.#######.# #
...........##.# #.# #.# #
.....########.# #####.# #.# #
.....# #.# #.....# #.# #
.....# #.# #.....# #.# #
.....# #.# #@....# ##.####
.....# #.###)....######......
############.#...[....)......[...
............%.....###.#.##########
##.......#######.# #.#...........
#.......##......# #.#.##########
#...........#######.#..[)..#
#...........# #............#
######......###.###.#......#

Vanquished Creatures
A frost giant (shapeshifter) (Elf:3)
2 deep elf annihilators (Elf:2)
4 death yaks (Lair:9)
5 hydras
4 elephant slugs
15 deep elf knights
2 dancing weapons
An unseen horror (D:12)
4 hill giants
An orc knight (Orc:3)
Joseph (Elf:3)
Erolcha (D:10)
An orc sorcerer (Orc:3)
6 slime creatures (D:12)
A queen ant (D:12)
7 black snakes
18 giant brown frogs
Urug (D:12)
2 cyclopes
Michael (D:12)
2 trolls
7 giant snails
3 komodo dragons
Donald (D:11)
<snip the rest>

Dafty wrote:
>>Probably a better ego rather than bigger/better base
>
> Was never really worried about that as I can flame/vorpalise the sword
> pretty much any time I like. Although once I can perm brand it I guess
> I wont need to worry. So as I expeected flame is better against
> non-fire resistant, but vorpal is of course universally useful. Flame
> much better against hydras.

The thing is, speed is a very, very good ego.

As far as I understand, vorpalise does roughly 25% extra damage, flaming
against non-resistants 50% extra, and speed halves time per blow and
(sadly more importantly in the long run) sets the basement for time per
blow to 1/2 the original basement, plus 10. This is all off the top of
my head, and especially the step where the 10 is added might be
misplaced; it might be before the halving.

This doesn't mean that speed is four times as good as vorpal, though. If
a given enemy's armour blocks 20 hp (of course it's variable, but let's
pretend for simplicity's sake it's not) and you do (let's pretend again)
21 damage, then a vorpal blade will do 6 damage, while the speed weapon,
even though it does (let's pretend) 2 blows in the same time, only does
2 damage.

Again, this is off the top of my head and can contain errors, but I
believe the basic principle is sound.

So although speed is an extremely good ego, the best even considering
the above in my opinion, you should pay close attention to maximizing
your damage in order to minimize the percentual role that enemy armour
plays.

One small practical consideration to keep in mind, though. You are
probably accustomed, from fighting with slower weapons, to being able to
simple tap-tap-tap-tap without thinking in situations such as this:

#.#
#@#
#####u#####
....uuuuu...
.....uu.u.u.

With a weapon of speed, if you don't keep your eyes open, you'll
occasionally fight "too fast" and end up here:

#.#
#.#
#####@#####
....uuuuuu..
.....uu.u...

....which can be a bit dangerous sometimes.

>>Recharge this and carry it with you in the Elven Halls instead of
>>healing potions, unless you're really short for recharging or you plan
>>to be wearing an amulet of conservation in there.
>
> I've yet to ID scroll of recharging... But yeah I had thought of that.
> Although I recall magical contamination last time from casting
> haste/heal too much on myself.

Wands of healing aren't mutagenic.

> Also cheers for the spell advice. I find myself not needing to beserk
> much lately so may well learn haste and see how I go with that.

Wandering around hasted too much via anything but potions, on the other
hand, *is* mutagenic, especially if you're wearing an AoRS. One casting,
even with the AoRS, should usually be OK, but give yourself plenty of
time to cool down after that.

> Starting to miss see invisible too. Couple of unseen horrors I ran away
> from (open level so no chance to trap them in a corridor).

Just make your own, using that wand of digging. There's usually enough
space at the edge of open levels to do so.

Erik

Dafty wrote:
> Ah. Casting haste on myself can also contaminate me with magical
> energies right? Any sure fire way to limit the damage?

[...]

> You hit the giant lizard.
> You burn the giant lizard.
> The giant lizard is lightly wounded.
> You feel more contaminated with magical energies.
>
> Normal?? Getting more contaminated just by hitting something whilst
> hasted?

Just like the incident with the dwarf and Okawaru, it's only a
coinciding in time of contamination (due to an extension-of-haste event
caused by the AoRS) with your combat.

Erik

Dafty wrote:
> Right that's enough for me for today. I think I've now got enough kit
> to take on the bottom of the elven halls.

You got rock AND roll, baby.

> Magical staves
> b - a thin staff
>
> Many of my spells go to Perfect when wielding this. Will ID when I've
> got time but don't really seem to need it

Probably Enchantment. Will be useful for casting Deflect Missiles
earlier than you'd normally be able to, and Deflect Missiles is in turn
a marvelous calling card to present before yakking with yaktaurs.

> Your Spells Type Success
> Level
> a - Fire Brand Fire/Enchantment Excellent 2
> b - Freezing Aura Ice/Enchantment Great 2
>
> *** No longer need these... what book do I need for selective amnesia?

Enchantments or Practical Magic.

> Armour fits poorly on your deformed body.
>
> *** Don't think this hurts me any at the moment?

Cuts AC from body armour (not counting pluses) to 50% rounded up, so no.

Erik