Dimension - Wake on LAN

Hi,

Do the Dimension 4400/4550/4600 series support Wake on LAN? They seem to
have all the appropriate settings in the CMOS and such, but I can't get them
to wake up when I send them a 'magic packet'.

Thanks.

John
2 answers Last reply
More about dimension wake

    John <jbielot@nospam.algonquin-industries.com> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Do the Dimension 4400/4550/4600 series support Wake on LAN? They seem to
    > have all the appropriate settings in the CMOS and such, but I can't get them
    > to wake up when I send them a 'magic packet'.

    Can't say if the Dimension supports WOL, but in general, there are some
    oddities to the spec.

    Try sending the packet to the broadcast address, which will necessarily mean
    it needs to be sent from the same network.

    Good luck,
    Brian

    Thanks Brian, I didn't try that. I am sending packets using a batch file to
    specific PC's that I know that I can wake up so that I can perform antivirus
    scans, and install updates overnight. Then I use PSTools PSShutdown to send
    them a shutdown/power off.

    I've had no problems with the OptiPlex series, getting it to work, but with
    the Dimension series everything seems to be there (CMOS setting, NIC
    setting) but despite trying to get it to run with several different models,
    I've been unsuccessful.

    John

    "Brian" <brian@rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
    > John <jbielot@nospam.algonquin-industries.com> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    >
    > > Do the Dimension 4400/4550/4600 series support Wake on LAN? They seem to
    > > have all the appropriate settings in the CMOS and such, but I can't get
    them
    > > to wake up when I send them a 'magic packet'.
    >
    > Can't say if the Dimension supports WOL, but in general, there are some
    > oddities to the spec.
    >
    > Try sending the packet to the broadcast address, which will necessarily
    mean
    > it needs to be sent from the same network.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Brian

Dell LAN Dimension Computers