Updating my computer to a new processor

mohit_king

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
guys i am planning to upgrade my system to fx 4100 and mottherboard by asus am3 +..........would i have to reinstall my windows.......problem is i have an original windiows 7 home premium......will i be able to use it with these updates or i will to buy a new one :(

Solution
Will you be able to transfer your current Windows 7 licence to a new computer? It depends on whether you have an OEM or retail (fpp) licence. OEM - no, this is restricted to the first motherboard it was activated on. Retail - yes, but you may have to phone to activate it.

Will you be able to transfer your current installation to a new computer? This is actually possible, as long as the hard drive controller is the same and is setup the same. But, again, it depends on having a licence that can be transferred.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Depends on the new CPU and current motherboard, and assuming you are only changing the CPU. Upgrading to another bulldozer, like 6100 with the same architecture, probably no problem. Upgrading to the new piledriver like 8320 you may need to update the motherboard BIOS, but that is unrelated to windows. Chances are after the upgrade, or after finding out it's not needed, you will still have minimal changes if any since they are still very similar.

Would need to look up your exact motherboard model and bios so see if it supports piledrive already.

And of course if you are going intel, you'll need a new board, and at that point is best to reinstall from scratch.

mohit_king

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

my concern is not about the motherboard or processor it is just that..... wil i be able to use my windows 7 with that or not

pauls3743

Distinguished
Will you be able to transfer your current Windows 7 licence to a new computer? It depends on whether you have an OEM or retail (fpp) licence. OEM - no, this is restricted to the first motherboard it was activated on. Retail - yes, but you may have to phone to activate it.

Will you be able to transfer your current installation to a new computer? This is actually possible, as long as the hard drive controller is the same and is setup the same. But, again, it depends on having a licence that can be transferred.

Solution

mohit_king

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

alright let me give you the information
processor-amd fx4100
motherboard-would be a new am3+ socket(have to buy it)

windows 7 home premium

question=will i be able to use my old windows 7 home premium cd for the new system
i do not have problem with a reinstallation of windows
my major concern is the authentication from microsoft
will the windows still remain genuine after changing the motherboard and the processor

note=i am only changing the motherboard and the processor