Makaveli

Splendid
Alot of people are kinda complaining about AMD taking so long to release the next speed grade CPU! If you think about it why would they rush if there current 1.3/1.33 Athlon can beat the P4 in most benchmarks. Just because intel has 1.5 doesn't mean they need to also. The 1.7 p4 will be out my summer I believe, and god willing the palamino core also. But I do believe the 1.5 amd cpu will still hold a lead on the 1.7 p4. As for SSE2 not really supported right now so does nothing for US! But next AMD cpu after palamino will support SSE2 and after that I do believe there will be plenty of software. I give credit to intel for being first out of the gate shows they have balls.
But usually whoever makes there product after does benefit for waiting!
Look @ the dreamcast! PS2 is better came out later!
GAmeCube also better specs than Ps2 will probably be better.
Then Bill's X box will be last out and have better specs than all of the systems. So sometimes being first out isn't always best!

Note to all: This is my opinon and u can disagree or agree I really don't give a [-peep-]. To much bashing going on in these forums. Get a life some of you and stop hanging on to each other words!

G

Your note to all wasn't necessary.. Not everyone on this board enjoy disrespect..

Well waiting is a good idea but being innovative is also another good idea ? Why ? Simply because you pace the trend of the market... Which mean you make the market go in the direction you want unless your product isn't successful..

Intel is doing what they want.. They want the market to go in that direction and there must be a reason why.. So that's probably why they just came out with the P4.

Waiting is a good idea because you have more time to develop a mature product which will be better than the first product.. But then that's probably the reason why the first company came out with that product first.. They wanted other companies to follow their pace...

That would make intel the standards and other copies of it...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Boumxyz on 03/23/01 12:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Being a follower does not get you very far though cant win the war by always countering what the enemy does? And from what I have saw in the past and current AMD isn’t making any leaps and bounds or new technology if they do make something new I will respect them till then my support is almost zero sorry guys.

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

G

I'm not saying the contrary there was a word missing in my post and I corrected it .I'm sorry .. I was saying that being inovative is also a good idea..

Anyway you're right and wrong.. You can't win wars with only counter attacks.. that's for sure but counter attacking can give you the momentum to finish off your ennemies ( example Nvidia and 3dfx.. )

who was the first ? 3dfx who counter attacked ? Nvidia.. Who won ? nvidia. Who's dead now ? 3dfx.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
But 3dfx ran out of innovation. They were spent long before this it just took nvidia to take me out. I personally hate to see companies die but survival of the fittest.

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah but, the FTC does not see it this way! back in the days when Intel, DEC and others where in the room of innovations-Amd was outside looking in.

AMD cry babies had the FTC force DEC into giving up the Alpha tech to AMD and the rest is history.

so my point is that the Gov doesn't take it lightly when another Co. kills the competition.

AMD got its start by hanging on to Intel much like a flea on a dog, but they couldn't innovate like the rest of the big boys and got left far behind, that is-until Uncle Sam stepped in.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
My god you are right. Holy crap I never knew that but I ran back into history (good old google) and there it was US moves to advanced technology innovation by court ordering technology companies to distribute technology to struggling technology firms. Wow that’s weird oh well life goes on (funny how I am listening to the song right now. Beatles rule!!!)

SPUD

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, your take on the situation is false. Intel was going to buy Digital Equipment's business, including FABs and all chip designs, including the Alpha. FTC saw this as a possible anti-trust situation, meaning Intel would become a total monoploy if it went through. So, the FTC said that if Intel were to buy Digital Equipment, DEC must first licese (not give) Alpha technology to AMD and Samsung. Now, DEC already had a licensing deal with Samsung, and already had one in the works with AMD. It's just that if Intel bought DEC before the licensing was complete, no way would Intel allow AMD to have Alpha technology, whereas DEC would have.

And you do realize that for last year, AMD had more patents approved than Intel did? No innovation, ey? Please stop clouding yourself and get the full story before posting. Thankyou.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Those patents almost have nothing to do with the processors its their flash memory.

SPUD

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
-give, license, take, steal- wtf it's all the same! FTC stepped in like your mommie does when Intel kids are kicking the fudge out of you!

boy, I can't wait 'til AMD becomes a monopoly!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
He does have a point guys (sybloism is kinda funny) but its true whne the government steps in its only because companies are whinein because they cant keep up. We all know Netscape situation same with Corel.

SPUD