Good morning need some help please.

LuisZ

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Hello everyone. My laptop crashed the other day after a Windows update. To make a long story short it would not boot up. I tried several things to no avail. System restore disc did not work. At this point i thought the hard drive was fried. Finally i stuck the the Windows 7 companion disk and got the system to boot I can tell all my files are there somewhere due to amount of memory taking up on the hard drive. Anyways my main problem it is now asking for the product key although i have 29 days which unfortunately i cannot find. Laptop in question is a Lenovo G550. Where do i go from here? Do I have to purchase a new key? Ive been using the laptop since and it seems to be working properly as far as i can tell.

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
if you have a manufacturers laptop the cd key should be printed underneath the laptop or with the supplied disk. otherwise contact the manufacturer to receive your cdkey providing your laptop serial number.

LuisZ

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the reply big bang. Unfortunately the numbers on the stickers are not legible at this point. The laptop is going on 3 years old and they had rubbed off. Do you think Lenovo will still supply the key after all this time? It is not printed on the Windows 7 upgrade companion disk unfortunately. :(

Unfortunately we cannot assist by providing you with a product key. If you've previously activated it with M$, you might (by chance) be able to contact M$ and see if they have record of the product key.

Be very careful what step you take next here. You are on that proverbial grey line with your last response.

It is against Tom's Hardware policy for any active forum member to assist with anything in regards to illegal activities such as piracy, cheating, etc.

Please refer to this thread for further assistance.