Budget notebooks for multimedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelingedit

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello,
I have a budget of $600.00. I need a notebook that can handle large files. I am currently editing a manuscript and many photos. I will also create and edit short video files. My primary concern is I will be editing multiple large files simultaneously. Meaning that multiple files will be open at the same time and the notebook must be able to handle paging requirements of multi-tasking, side-by-side file editing. I know that a desktop will be a better choice, however this task requires that I collect my research at its source, I will be traveling with the machine constantly. The things that are important: able to handle multi-tasking of large files without stalling, crashing, freezing, etc. Have ports and firmware to connect to TV, internet, and other media. And, stream movies via the internet for my long trips on the road. Also, if possible the machine can handle gaming; World of Warcraft.

All my files are kept on an external hard drive; however I need enough space for Photoshop and other media intensive software. Basic battery life of 4-6 hours is acceptable. Durability is important; my last notebook was kept together by duct tape. Although I will be traveling with the machine, the weight is not important, however, performance is. I will consider purchasing a refurbished unit with a warranty from a reputable vendor.

One more thing, I currently use the MS XP OS, I am quite satisfied and would like to keep it, however, a learning curve on a new OS is not a problem as long as it is solid as XP.

Please help!

travelingedit

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Thank you for replying. Do you have a recommendation for a system with an anti-glare screen, the Z560 do not have an anti-glare screen. At my fair-weather stops, I will be working outside. Also, I am concerned about overheating, is it still a problem in notebooks? Overheating was the unrepairable problem that finally killed my last notebook, not the cracks. I will be using the machine up to 10 hours per day, so I am very concerned about overheating. The main software tools that I will be using is Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master edition, PhotoShop CS5, Dragon NaturalSpeaking 10, Skype, office suite, and backup software in addition to viewing DVDs and gaming. By the way, most of the features of the multimedia SW will be turned on, I mention this to highlight the need for speed and sheer performance. Also, durability; I would like to get rid of my duct tape. I can go as high as $800.00 US.
Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.