Guess what's in the Dungeon Master's Guide II?

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 4, 2005 12:11:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Previews of the Dungeon Master's Guide II have mentioned that it
will contain a completely mapped and detailed town as an example for
DMs, but in Dragon #332 it's been revealed that the town in question is
Saltmarsh, as in "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh".

That? Is AWESOME!

More about : guess dungeon master guide

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 3:14:38 PM

Ubiquitous wrote:
> Previews of the Dungeon Master's Guide II have mentioned that it
> will contain a completely mapped and detailed town as an example for
> DMs, but in Dragon #332 it's been revealed that the town in question is
> Saltmarsh, as in "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh".
>
> That? Is AWESOME!

Yay!!! Recycled material!!! What will they think of next? ;-p

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

"julian814" <julian814@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1117908878.503951.245640
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Ubiquitous wrote:
>> Previews of the Dungeon Master's Guide II have mentioned that it
>> will contain a completely mapped and detailed town as an example for
>> DMs, but in Dragon #332 it's been revealed that the town in question is
>> Saltmarsh, as in "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh".
>>
>> That? Is AWESOME!
>
> Yay!!! Recycled material!!! What will they think of next? ;-p

Well looking at most of the stuff they have pumped out lately there are not
thinking about much of what they have been designing.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:03:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes
>Previews of the Dungeon Master's Guide II have mentioned that it
>will contain a completely mapped and detailed town as an example for
>DMs, but in Dragon #332 it's been revealed that the town in question is
>Saltmarsh, as in "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh".
>
>That? Is AWESOME!

Awesome? That town we were directed to make up ourselves a couple of
decades ago? That's not awesome - that's naff.

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <VU1S8XBo9koCFwQE@domicus.demon.co.uk>,
Ian R Malcomson <ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Awesome? That town we were directed to make up ourselves a couple of
>decades ago? That's not awesome - that's naff.

"Naff" must be some English word I've never heard before. What does it mean
(besides something pejorative)?
June 5, 2005 6:03:38 AM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> Ian R Malcomson <ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> That's not awesome - that's naff.
>
> "Naff" must be some English word I've never heard before. What does it
> mean (besides something pejorative)?

"Unstylish, clichéd or outmoded" according to several online dictionaries.
Personally, I think I'd define it as "embarrassingly stupid or awful";
others with more experience of British English may be able to provide more
nuanced definitions.

doug

--
"...and they said, 'work hard, and die suddenly, 'cos it's fun'..."
--Robyn Hitchcock

Douglas Bailey <trystero@world.std.com> writes
>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>> Ian R Malcomson <ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> That's not awesome - that's naff.
>>
>> "Naff" must be some English word I've never heard before. What does it
>> mean (besides something pejorative)?
>
>"Unstylish, clichéd or outmoded" according to several online dictionaries.
>Personally, I think I'd define it as "embarrassingly stupid or awful";
>others with more experience of British English may be able to provide more
>nuanced definitions.

That's pretty much it. Good grief, they'll put anything into
dictionaries these days! :)

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:40:02 PM

Ian R Malcomson <ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Douglas Bailey <trystero@world.std.com> writes
>>David Alex Lamb wrote:

>>> "Naff" must be some English word I've never heard before. What does it
>>> mean (besides something pejorative)?
>>
>>"Unstylish, clichéd or outmoded" according to several online dictionaries.
>>Personally, I think I'd define it as "embarrassingly stupid or awful";
>>others with more experience of British English may be able to provide more
>>nuanced definitions.
>
> That's pretty much it. Good grief, they'll put anything into
> dictionaries these days! :)

yeah, that's pretty naff.

Keith
June 7, 2005 7:10:11 PM

Ian R Malcomson wrote:
> Douglas Bailey <trystero@world.std.com> writes
> >David Alex Lamb wrote:

> >> "Naff" must be some English word I've never heard before. What does it
> >> mean (besides something pejorative)?
> >
> >"Unstylish, clichéd or outmoded" according to several online dictionaries.
> >Personally, I think I'd define it as "embarrassingly stupid or awful";
> >others with more experience of British English may be able to provide more
> >nuanced definitions.
>
> That's pretty much it. Good grief, they'll put anything into
> dictionaries these days! :)
>
> --
> Ian R Malcomson
> "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

But they still won't put "gullible" in it. <shakes head>

Gerald Katz
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:57:48 AM

The "Naff" debate

Just to add a random update on "A guide to purile UK slang"

One I esp like is - "going for a monkeys fag break"

This will be interesting to US readers - as this actualy means on one
level-

"Going for a cigerette break"
(fag only means ciggie in the UK)

but the ACTUAL meaning is

"Going for a wank in the toilet while at work"

(see prev posts for analysis of verb "wank")
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:20:39 AM

Murf <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> writes

>The "Naff" debate
>

>Just to add a random update on "A guide to purile UK slang"
>
>One I esp like is - "going for a monkeys fag break"
>
>This will be interesting to US readers - as this actualy means on one
>level-
>
>"Going for a cigerette break"
>(fag only means ciggie in the UK)

We take great delight in rolling our fags before setting fire to them.

--
!