[Crawl] Nearly YASD but a fun fight in the end :)

Just thought you might like this tail of stupidity and dumb luck.

A stone giant zombie.
Floor.
You slash the stone giant zombie!
The stone giant zombie hits you!
You slash the stone giant zombie!
You hit the stone giant zombie.
You slash the stone giant zombie!
You slash the stone giant zombie!
The stone giant zombie hits you!
You hit the stone giant zombie, but do no damage.
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
The bolt of fire hits the stone giant zombie.
The stone giant zombie hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *

\\ Whoops! Sure I'd killed several of these guys before but this one
hit *hard*. ~24HP left. What to do? One hit from him and I'm toast. I'm
wearing a !teleport amulet. Oh dear...

Use which ability? (? or * to list)
Use which ability? (? or * to list)
Which direction?
You are healed.
You feel a quite a bit more hungry.
The stone giant zombie hits you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *

// Ely's healing but not the big healing as that's Very Poor due to my
low invocations. How do I pump that? Was nowhere near enough though,
now 5HP! Panic mode (overconfidence is always a problem)

Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
A red film seems to cover your vision as you go berserk!
You feel yourself moving faster!
You feel mighty!
You feel yourself speed up.
You feel a strong urge to attack something.
You are too berserk!

// What a fool! Forgot I couldn't cast spells when beserk! Still
thought the speed and might would help. Run away!

Unknown command.
You feel your anger subside.
Which direction?
You close the door.

// Well it will slow him down.

Your blood rage is quickly leaving you.
You feel yourself slow down.
You feel a little less mighty now.
You are no longer berserk.
You are exhausted.
You feel yourself slow down.

// Oops, don't beserk these days and am not wearing amulet of resist
slowing. Zombie has just opened the door and is after me.

Drink which item?
You feel yourself speed up.

// Run away!

Move the cursor around to observe a square.
Press '?' for a monster description.
Floor.
Floor.
Floor.
A mottled dragon.

// I'm triple fire resistant so even with 5HP I can ignore and continue
to run hoping to speed up. My poor scrolls though :(

Floor.
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
Aim (move cursor or -/+/=, change mode with CTRL-F, select with . or >)
Floor.
Floor.
The fireball explodes!
The fireball engulfs the stone giant zombie.
The mottled dragon breathes.
Move the cursor around to observe a square.
Press '?' for a monster description.
You are currently targeting the stone giant zombie (use p/t to fire).
Floor.
A stone giant zombie.
Floor.
The mottled dragon breathes.
The mottled dragon breathes.
You are engulfed in a cloud of smoke!
You are engulfed in a cloud of smoke!
The mottled dragon breathes.
Drink which item?
You feel better.

// I have some space and have the dragon between me and the stone giant
zombie in a corridor. Time to firebolt through it. Damn it's annoying
not to see how injured zombies are

Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
You are currently targeting the stone giant zombie (use p/t to fire).
The bolt of fire hits the mottled dragon.
The mottled dragon appears unharmed.
The bolt of fire hits the stone giant zombie.
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
You are currently targeting the stone giant zombie (use p/t to fire).
The bolt of fire hits the mottled dragon.
The mottled dragon appears unharmed.
The bolt of fire hits the stone giant zombie.
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
You are currently targeting the stone giant zombie (use p/t to fire).
The bolt of fire hits the mottled dragon.
The mottled dragon appears unharmed.
The bolt of fire hits the stone giant zombie.
You destroy the stone giant zombie!

// Take that you scoundrel!

The mottled dragon breathes.
The sticky flame hits you!
You resist.
A scroll you are carrying catches fire!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You slash the mottled dragon!
The mottled dragon is moderately wounded.
You are engulfed in a cloud of smoke!
You are covered in liquid flames!
Some of the scrolls you are carrying catch fire!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The mottled dragon hits you but doesn't do any damage.
You slash the mottled dragon!
The mottled dragon is heavily wounded.
You are engulfed in a cloud of smoke!
You are covered in liquid flames!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You slash the mottled dragon!
The mottled dragon is almost dead.
You are engulfed in a cloud of smoke!
You are covered in liquid flames!
A scroll you are carrying catches fire!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You kill the mottled dragon!
You are engulfed in a cloud of smoke!
You feel less fatigued.
You feel yourself speed up.
Read which item?
Okay, then.
Eat which item?
That meat ration really hit the spot!
You finish eating.

// And he survives to fight another day :)

Rich

Yeah I noticed too late that I was outrunning it. By the way is this:

."#.........# #######......#
....######### #............#
....## #............#
.....## #............#
......## #............#
.......## #............#
........## #............#
.........## #............#
..........# #@...........#
..........# #............#
......%..## #............#
........## #............#
.......## #.....>......#
......## #............#
.....## #........?...#
.....# #............#
.....###########............#

Just found in the vault likely to be anything usual? Don't have any
detection to see if there's anything inside.

Richard

Sage advice as usual Erik. Unfortunately my spellbook pile so far
consists of:

(-44, 31, Lair:1)
a book of Flames
(-45, 32, Lair:1)
a book of Tukima
(-44, 32, Lair:1)
a book of War Chants
(-43, 32, Lair:1)
a book of Charms
(-42, 32, Lair:1)
a book of Changes
(-47, 33, Lair:1)
a book of Geomancy
(-46, 33, Lair:1)
a Young Poisoner's Handbook
(-45, 33, Lair:1)
a book of Practical Magic
(-44, 33, Lair:1)
a book of Power
(-43, 33, Lair:1)
a book of Party Tricks

Level 7 of the Lair
Cyqil Ha's Book Shop
a book of Control (1105 gold)
a book of the Earth (1105 gold)
a book of Tukima (1615 gold)
a book of Control (1105 gold)
a book of Power (765 gold)
a book of the Warp (1530 gold)
a book of Changes (425 gold)
a book of Conjurations (510 gold)
a book of Minor Magic (340 gold)
a book of Party Tricks (850 gold)
a manual of Bows (1955 gold)
<Only got about 850 gold at the moment>

(-23, 45, Vault:1)
a book of Minor Magic
(-22, 45, Vault:1)
a book of Cantrips
(-21, 45, Vault:1)
a book of Annihilations

Just completed the Crypt. Curse skulls are annoying me at the moment. I
avoid them. Torment is too nasty although I don't worry about the
summons much. Mummy's are of course a pain though.

Rich

> No book of Quoting yet?

Sadly not. Thankfully no book of Top Posting either :p

Rich

Dafty wrote:

> // Ely's healing but not the big healing as that's Very Poor due to my
> low invocations. How do I pump that?

Using the lowest healing invocation -- it doesn't cost any piety, and
doesn't cost much food. About 10 levels of Invocations is enough for any
purpose, and by the endgame it's still pretty cheap compared to your
other investments.

> Was nowhere near enough though, now 5HP!

Panic mode (overconfidence is always a problem)

Panic mode is even worse than overconfidence IMO -- to exaggerate a bit,
the latter merely blinds you to how you might die, while the former
blinds you to how you might live. E.g. you say "now I gotta berserk"
without looking over other options that can do a lot more to save your
hide (I don't know HOW many times I've died this way myself).

> // I have some space and have the dragon between me and the stone giant
> zombie in a corridor. Time to firebolt through it. Damn it's annoying
> not to see how injured zombies are

Ugh. Yes. At least they sometimes run away, signalling they're close to
death. They're also slower than their living counterparts, so most
zombies can be outrun.

Erik

Dafty wrote:
> Yeah I noticed too late that I was outrunning it. By the way is this:
>
> ."#.........# #######......#
> ....######### #............#
> ....## #............#
> .....## #............#
> ......## #............#
> .......## #............#
> ........## #............#
> .........## #............#
> ..........# #@...........#
> ..........# #............#
> ......%..## #............#
> ........## #............#
> .......## #.....>......#
> ......## #............#
> .....## #........?...#
> .....# #............#
> .....###########............#
>
> Just found in the vault likely to be anything usual? Don't have any
> detection to see if there's anything inside.
>

> Richard

Possible, I believe, but unlikely.

Incidentally...

While Detect Items is a bit of a waste of slots outside of Pandemonium,
Detect Creatures is very useful and worth adding to your repertoire (and
it's in, among other places, the Book of Wizardry, which I doubt has
managed to evade you this far into the game). Not only does it warn you
of danger, it'll often help you figure out where the hidden parts of a
level are, but at half the slot cost of Magic Mapping.

Detect Traps also has plenty going for it; avoiding Zot traps is nice,
and this spell, too, can often reveal hidden parts of a level.

Erik

Dafty wrote (and again quoted nothing):
> [...]
> (-44, 31, Lair:1)
> a book of Flames
> (-45, 32, Lair:1)
> a book of Tukima
> (-44, 32, Lair:1)
> a book of War Chants
> (-43, 32, Lair:1)
> a book of Charms
> (-42, 32, Lair:1)
> a book of Changes
> (-47, 33, Lair:1)
> a book of Geomancy
> (-46, 33, Lair:1)
> a Young Poisoner's Handbook
> (-45, 33, Lair:1)
> a book of Practical Magic
> (-44, 33, Lair:1)
> a book of Power
> (-43, 33, Lair:1)
> a book of Party Tricks
>
> Level 7 of the Lair
> Cyqil Ha's Book Shop
> a book of Control (1105 gold)
> a book of the Earth (1105 gold)
> a book of Tukima (1615 gold)
> a book of Control (1105 gold)
> a book of Power (765 gold)
> a book of the Warp (1530 gold)
> a book of Changes (425 gold)
> a book of Conjurations (510 gold)
> a book of Minor Magic (340 gold)
> a book of Party Tricks (850 gold)
> a manual of Bows (1955 gold)
> <Only got about 850 gold at the moment>
>
> (-23, 45, Vault:1)
> a book of Minor Magic
> (-22, 45, Vault:1)
> a book of Cantrips
> (-21, 45, Vault:1)
> a book of Annihilations

No book of Quoting yet?
Then I'm afraid you're lost. :-(

Rubinstein

Dafty wrote [in response to a side remark that Detect Creatures and/or
Detect Traps would be a nice addition to the repertoire]:

[list of books nowhere containing Wizardry, Divinations, or Surveyances]

Well I'll be damned. You really don't have a single way to access either
one of these spells for the moment.

> Just completed the Crypt. Curse skulls are annoying me at the moment. I
> avoid them. Torment is too nasty although I don't worry about the
> summons much.

Find an angle of approach that minimizes turns in the skull's LOS (good
stealth helps scout out the possibilities), then go nuts and whack it
violently and rapidly on the head (I mean, where else are you going to
whack it?), ignoring all summons until it's destroyed.

Works for me.

>Mummy's are of course a pain though.

They can be outrun, if there's somewhere to run to, that is.

Try emphasizing potion-stack size instead of quantity, so you have fewer
stacks to drop.

A wee bit of summoning skill can also do the trick -- mummies of all
stripes curse all those who destroy them, but not the guy they're
working for (i.e. you, if it's a summmons). And ordinary mummies aren't
that buff. Or if you don't want to build up Summoning, dancing weapons
should also work.

Erik