Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Crawl] YACD - what next?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:42:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Down to vault 6, vault 7 should be OK but I don't really feel confident
about vault 8 as yet. Completed Hive, Swamp, Lair, Snake Pit, Hall of
Blades (few swords in there, Iskenderun's Mystic Blast makes it
incredibly easy no more than 2 took down every weapon). Probably time
to reorganise my spells as there's some I don't use. Seems there are a
number of spellbooks I want that haven't turned up yet. Suppose it's
time to start searching the dungeon. About to visit stash hence some of
the junk in my inventory :) 

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.


Crux the Fencer

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : + + + See Invis. : +
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : + . . Warding : +
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: + . . Conserve : .
Level : 19 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 406880 Res.Elec. : + Gourmand : .
Next Level : 437249
Exp Needed : 30369 Sust.Abil.: . Prev.Telep.: +
Spls.Left : 3 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 891 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 124
MP : 46
Str : 13 Weapon : +6,+5 elf long sword (speed)
Int : 20 Armour : +2 robe (resist)
Dex : 19 Shield :
AC : 15 Helmet : +1 helmet (see invis)
Evasion : 17 Cloak :
Shield : 0 Gloves : +5 pair of gloves "Ewod"
Boots : +2 pair of boots
Play time : 1, 08:22:52 Amulet : amulet of Cekugob
Turns : 94645 Ring : ring of magical power
Ring : +3,+3 ring of slaying


You are in the Vaults.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +6,+5 elven long sword of speed (weapon)
M - a +5,+2 elven long sword of holy wrath
Armour
l - a +2 elven cloak
r - the +5 pair of gloves "Ewod" (worn)
It greatly protects you from fire.

t - a +2 robe of resistance (worn)
G - the +2 robe "Plog"

I - the +2 chain mail of Hedging
It affects your accuracy (+1).
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It makes you much more stealthy.
It enhances your eyesight.

L - a +0 ice dragon hide
R - a +1 helmet of see invisible (worn)
T - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
Magical devices
g - a wand of fire (4)
w - a wand of digging
y - a wand of draining
C - a wand of disintegration (13)
E - a wand of lightning
F - a wand of cold (3)
N - a wand of healing (4)
Comestibles
k - a meat ration
u - 3 bread rations
Scrolls
j - a scroll of magic mapping
q - 5 scrolls of remove curse
x - 2 scrolls of recharging
z - 2 scrolls of blinking
B - a scroll of summoning
D - 7 scrolls of identify
K - a scroll of teleportation
Jewellery
c - an amulet of resist slowing
d - the amulet of Cekugob (around neck)
This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
magically summoned.
It affects your AC (+1).
It affects your evasion (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It prevents most forms of teleportation.
It speeds your metabolism.

e - an amulet of the gourmand
m - a ring of teleport control
n - a ring of magical power (right hand)
p - a ring of sustain abilities
v - a ring of poison resistance
A - an amulet of clarity
H - a +3,+3 ring of slaying (left hand)
J - a ring of levitation
Potions
f - 3 potions of healing
h - a potion of levitation
o - a potion of speed
s - 3 potions of heal wounds
Magical staves
b - a staff of conjuration
Miscellaneous
i - a lamp of fire


You have 11 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 9 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 17 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
+ Level 12 Dodging
+ Level 9 Stealth
+ Level 3 Stabbing
+ Level 12 Spellcasting
+ Level 17 Conjurations
+ Level 11 Enchantments
+ Level 2 Divinations
+ Level 14 Fire Magic
+ Level 6 Invocations
+ Level 4 Evocations


You have 3 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Detect Curse Divination Very Good 3
b - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Great 6
c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
e - Detect Secret Doors Divination Great 1
f - Ozocubu's Armour Ice/Enchantment Great 3
g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Excellent 5
h - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Excellent 4
i - Haste Enchantment Very Good 6
j - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3
k - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Excellent 3

More about : crawl yacd

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Dafty wrote:
> Down to vault 6, vault 7 should be OK but I don't really feel confident
> about vault 8 as yet.

Yeah, it's a completely different story from the rest of the Vaults (as
are most end-of-branch levels). Unless I'm playing an easy combo, I
usually clear

> [...] Hive, Swamp, Lair, Snake Pit, Hall of Blades

, the Elven Halls (which I know you've done), the Crypt (aborted
part-way?), and above all the whole of the main dungeon before doing V8.

> Probably time to reorganise my spells as there's some I don't use.

Unless you plan to do the Tomb (and it's certainly doable and
survivable, and all the more so with Elyvilon on your side, but it *is*
on the other hand also utterly terrifying), I'd free up the slots by
dropping Silence for now (won't help against demons, and elves won't
come back into play much until Zot) and Detect Secret Doors. 3+3+1 = 7
spell levels... if you're really bothered by curse skulls in spite of
Cekugob, Abjuration ain't bad; granted, it trains Summoning, but it's
certainly quite a powerful tool in the toolbox. The other 4 levels could
go into upgrading Reflect Missiles to Deflect Missiles (you'll probably
need to wield that Staff of Enchantments you found to cast it at first,
though), or it go into Summon Elemental (as a digging tool, while
simultaneously limiting the number of "useless" schools you'll be
developing down to just 1 school) or Dig (all in all a better digging
tool, obviously, though good luck trying to cast it at first). Why
digging tools? Mostly for the main dungeon and, above all, Hell,
really... V8 is IIRC undiggable.

There are lots of other alternatives too! 7 levels is more than enough
to take Controlled Blink and ordinary Blink (for training, for use at a
lower MP cost when CB isn't needed, and for contamination-free use when
CB isn't needed -- yes, CB is contaminating). This doesn't jibe with
Cekugob, of course, but I'm not much for things with !Teleport anyway...
to each his own, I guess.

Then there's Fire Storm, which I don't think needs any explanation. :-)

> Ring : +3,+3 ring of slaying

I feel silly saying this, but... glad to see you have that swapped back
in. Enemy armour is going up and up and up...

Note that the effect of the =oMP decreases as your "natural" max MP
approach 50 (the max before bonuses), so it's time to start seriously
thinking about replacing that ring with something else. Perhaps a ring
of fire, since you won't be downright cold-*susceptible* even with it on.

> l - a +2 elven cloak

Off by mistake?

> Jewellery
> c - an amulet of resist slowing

Even with Ely on my side, I would like SO be wearing this non-stop
instead of Cekugob, but like I said...

> m - a ring of teleport control

Nice. If you don't mind the slot, this little gem turns ordinary blink
into semi-controlled blink, which is a Good Enough substitute for
Controlled Blink quite a bit of the time.

It also opens up the slime pits, and you're well on your way to being
well-covered by artifact stuff... probably worth considering right after
V8 (which has a decent chance of adding another item to the set).

No "oRM yet? Very nice thing to have at hand for the endgame (and in
some places to even have around your neck nonstop)... though it seems
it's normal for there to be at least one abnormal available-equipment
hole in every game...

Erik
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:30:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> , the Elven Halls (which I know you've done), the Crypt (aborted
> part-way?), and above all the whole of the main dungeon before doing V8.

Yeah sorry I have completed the Crypt. I might go back to the swamp and
I found it annoying so just dived to the bottom to kill the bad guys
and get the rune. Might be the odd spellbook i'm missing in there, but
unlikely.

> Unless you plan to do the Tomb (and it's certainly doable and
> survivable, and all the more so with Elyvilon on your side, but it *is*
> on the other hand also utterly terrifying),

Considering it. No potions just in case, and relearning tikuma's dance
to take out the mummies. Does sound scary but maybe fun :p 

> spell levels... if you're really bothered by curse skulls in spite of
> Cekugob, Abjuration ain't bad; granted, it trains Summoning, but it's
> certainly quite a powerful tool in the toolbox.

Not noticed Abjuration in any of the books I've read yet...

> certainly quite a powerful tool in the toolbox. The other 4 levels could
> go into upgrading Reflect Missiles to Deflect Missiles (you'll probably

Certainly my plan as soon as I find a book with Deflect Missiles in it.

> though), or it go into Summon Elemental (as a digging tool, while
> simultaneously limiting the number of "useless" schools you'll be
> developing down to just 1 school) or Dig (all in all a better digging
> tool, obviously, though good luck trying to cast it at first). Why
> digging tools? Mostly for the main dungeon and, above all, Hell,
> really... V8 is IIRC undiggable.

Hmm may try dig. That lamp of fire... fire elementals. Not tried it
yet, but with my good fire skill and triple fire immunity it may well
come in handy!

> Cekugob, of course, but I'm not much for things with !Teleport anyway...
> to each his own, I guess.

I just can't resist poison and electricity resist plus warding :) 
Actually I did just lose clarity from a cure mutation I needed after
getting infected with blurry vision, so I'm definitely in the market
for a better amulet.

> Then there's Fire Storm, which I don't think needs any explanation. :-)

Absolutely. I think I might as well learn this earlier rather than
later. Most fire resistant things can be pummelled to death anyway.

>> Ring : +3,+3 ring of slaying
>
> I feel silly saying this, but... glad to see you have that swapped back
> in. Enemy armour is going up and up and up...

Yeah. For a while stuck with wizardry/magical power combo but decided
I'm a crusader not a spell caster. I wanna slice em up *and* fry em :) 

> Note that the effect of the =oMP decreases as your "natural" max MP
> approach 50 (the max before bonuses), so it's time to start seriously
> thinking about replacing that ring with something else. Perhaps a ring
> of fire, since you won't be downright cold-*susceptible* even with it on.

OK thanks for that. I rarely struggle for mana of late anyway. Oddly
enough a ring of fire hasn't actually turned up yet! (several cold
staves and rings of cold though! RNG be merciful :) 

> (cloak) Off by mistake?

Yeah was trying armours and removed to save a few turns swapping :) 

> > Jewellery
> > c - an amulet of resist slowing
>
> Even with Ely on my side, I would like SO be wearing this non-stop
> instead of Cekugob, but like I said...

Never been slowed aside from beserking, and I've not felt the need to
beserk much of late. It's obviously in my inventory for when it's
needed though.

>> m - a ring of teleport control
> It also opens up the slime pits, and you're well on your way to being
> well-covered by artifact stuff... probably worth considering right after
> V8 (which has a decent chance of adding another item to the set).
>
> No "oRM yet? Very nice thing to have at hand for the endgame (and in
> some places to even have around your neck nonstop)... though it seems
> it's normal for there to be at least one abnormal available-equipment
> hole in every game...

Yeah I've been saving any artifact stuff in case I fancy tying the
slime pits. And I do have a "oRM too. Don't really wanna drop
electricity resistance for it at the moment though. Getting to the
stage where the big electrocuters are likely to turn up.

Anyway thanks again for the sage advice. Always appreciated. I'm still
a little upset that I was stupid enough to wear that robe of the
archmagi for nearly 2 entire side dungeons! (snake and swamp). Probably
2 or 3 clevels and god knows what in skills behind where i should be :) 
That said it probably made my spells much more effective in taking out
the guys at the bottom of each dungeon.


Rich
Related resources
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 7:19:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> Them ASCII players just don't understand what us TileCrawl players have to go through. ;-)

And there we'll have to agree to disagree. Roguelike games should be in
ascii :)  It's just the way it is :) 

If I want graphics I'll play diablo :) 

Thanks for the advice on the tomb. Will probably leave it for now and
clear dungeon before vault 8. Torment just scares me plain and simple
:) 


Rich
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:13:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Dafty wrote:

>>Unless you plan to do the Tomb (and it's certainly doable and
>>survivable, and all the more so with Elyvilon on your side, but it *is*
>>on the other hand also utterly terrifying),
>
> Considering it. No potions just in case, and relearning tikuma's dance
> to take out the mummies. Does sound scary but maybe fun :p 

It's like a good horror movie -- scary but indeed maybe fun. I don't
like horror movies, but I like doing the Tomb without torment
resistance, so maybe I would like horror movies after all if I tried
them. :-)

You need:

- non-potion healing (check)
- a devilishly unfair approach to staircase abuse -- your obligation to
play fair goes out the window once the torments start flying (check?)
- a sense for corner tricks (check?)
- the killing power to take out boss mummies quickly (check)

It's nice to have:

- non-potion stat restoration other than royal jellies (check)
- the ability to cure slowing while wearing an AoRM (because you got a
glow curse) (check)
- non-potion hasting (check)
- silence (check)
- a devastating ranged attack (check)
- berserking with support from an AoRS and/or Ely (triple check)
- everything but hell and perhaps the Pits already behind you (not check)
- abjuration (check, if you desire)
- Tomb of Malarkey (probably not check)
- trap detection

It's slightly nice to have:
- non-scroll teleportation (check?) - but be very careful with that
- creature detection the first time you visit the bottom (once you know
the setup, it's useless, and it's not too useful even before them, since
all detected M's look alike)
- a scroll of magic mapping the first time you visit the bottom

>>(cloak) Off by mistake?
>
> Yeah was trying armours and removed to save a few turns swapping :) 

Completely understandable -- I do the same when I get fed up during long
detect curse runs, especially if I have an ego cloak. Them ASCII players
just don't understand what us TileCrawl players have to go through. ;-)

>>>Jewellery
>>> c - an amulet of resist slowing
>>
>>Even with Ely on my side, I would like SO be wearing this non-stop
>>instead of Cekugob, but like I said...
>
> Never been slowed aside from beserking,

It's really rare otherwise.

> and I've not felt the need to beserk much of late.

A sign the character is doing well. You'll definitely appreciate it if
you enter the bonus rounds, though... although in many of them, you'll
wish you had one neck for the AoRM and one for the AoRS... and you do;
the second neck is Elyvilon.

> Anyway thanks again for the sage advice. Always appreciated. I'm still
> a little upset that I was stupid enough to wear that robe of the
> archmagi for nearly 2 entire side dungeons! (snake and swamp).

In the end, it's a good thing you left the Swamp partially uncleared. :-)

Erik
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:58:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Dafty wrote:
>>Them ASCII players just don't understand what us TileCrawl players have to go through. ;-)
>
> And there we'll have to agree to disagree. Roguelike games should be in
> ascii :)  It's just the way it is :) 

What, you disagree that watching the relatively slowly scrolling message
area in TileCrawl is a pain in the butt if you have an ego cloak on? ;-)

But I totally understand -- about a day before I first played TileCrawl,
I was swearing I never would, and for much the same reason. I feel like
the Green Eggs and Ham guy.

My eyesight seems to have gone downhill in the meantime or something,
though, because yesterday after figuring my ueber challenge combo (TM)
games couldn't get any worse than they already are, I tried a game in
traditional Crawl, and I felt like I was squinting at things all the
time unless I used a window just big enough to make the game unplayable
for a different reason -- scrolling of the console window by a few
characters when the map screen was brought up, leading to inventory
letters then falling off the screen in the inventory screen.

Ah, the perils of a 15" screen.

Hmm, a job for Darshan? ;-)))

Erik
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:59:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Erik Piper wrote:
> time unless I used a window just big enough to make the game unplayable

Ooops -- I mean "font".

Erik
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:11:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

"Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> writes:
| Erik Piper wrote:
>> Unless you plan to do the Tomb (and it's certainly doable and
>> survivable, and all the more so with Elyvilon on your side, but it
>> *is* on the other hand also utterly terrifying),

> Considering it. No potions just in case, and relearning tikuma's
> dance to take out the mummies. Does sound scary but maybe fun :p 

I don't know if the boss mummies can abjure away dancing weapons, but
that's something to look out for.

--
Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:11:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

"Darshan Shaligram" <scintilla@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o e9d4rme.fsf@gmail.com...
> "Dafty" <richard.clements@ntlworld.com> writes:
> | Erik Piper wrote:
> >> Unless you plan to do the Tomb (and it's certainly doable and
> >> survivable, and all the more so with Elyvilon on your side, but it
> >> *is* on the other hand also utterly terrifying),
>
> > Considering it. No potions just in case, and relearning tikuma's
> > dance to take out the mummies. Does sound scary but maybe fun :p 
>
> I don't know if the boss mummies can abjure away dancing weapons, but
> that's something to look out for.

They can.

--
Jeremey
!