[crawl] YASD

This one put the stupid in YASD.

1) He died from Int drain.
2) He had a ring of sustain abilities with him to prevent just that.
3) He didn't have to hang around in Tartarus, trying to figure out if
you can get into the building to the right at L7. (Can you?)

Somehow I must have missed that he got his Int pushed down from 10, and
when a second draining came he was history.

That said, Paladins are underrated. Playing a dwarf instead of an elf
gives you a lot of melee power if you drop the sabre as soon as a nice
mace or axe shows up. And a Paladin with a great mace of disruption is
fun in the hells and in the Abyss (where I was sent 5 or 6 times). He
cleared out the whole dungeon except the Tomb, plus the Hells, and was
just going to hit Pandemonium.

The Shining One is a bit underwhelming in the early and middle game, but
at least the thunderbolts and Daevas are nice. (Except when they turn
hostile because you get Hellfire thrown on you from nowhere in Gehenna -
probably a bug.)

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 23 character file.

ivan the Slayer (Mountain Dwarf)
// He was Skullcrusher at first, but Fighting getting to L27
// made him into a Slayer. Bug?

(Level 27 Paladin)
Experience : 27/1371844
Strength 27/31 Dexterity 11 Intelligence 0/10
Hit Points : 162/256 (288) Magic Points : 41
AC : 41 Evasion : 17 Shield : 0
GP : 8935
// Pretty nice HP, even with 30 points of rotting. :)

You are in Tartarus
You worship The Shining One.
The Shining One is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +5,+7 great mace of crushing
b - a cursed +0 knife
c - the +4,+2 mace "Evogeb"
It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.
It affects your evasion (+3).
It protects you from poison.
It lets you teleport.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

d - a cursed +5,+4 great mace of holy wrath (weapon)
e - a +4,+2 great mace of disruption
// Not enough Enchant Weapon scrolls.

Armour
i - a cursed +3 dragon armour (worn)
j - a cursed +1 pair of boots (worn)
u - the cursed +3 plumed helmet of Fun (worn)
It has a curse placed upon it.
L - the +4 cloak "Itysewybutetut" (worn)
It affects your evasion (+4).
M - a +2 pair of gloves (worn)

Magical devices
h - a wand of digging (12)
p - a wand of cold (9)
R - a wand of fireball (4)
S - a wand of teleportation (14)
T - a wand of fire (8)

Comestibles
m - 7 honeycombs

Jewellery
k - a ring of life protection
q - the ring "Opivojy" (right hand)
This wonderful ring greatly increases the recuperative powers of its
wearer, but also considerably speeds his or her metabolism.
It insulates you from electricity.

r - the cursed ring of Mus Pus (left hand)
This ring brings its wearer more in contact with the powers of cold
and
ice. He or she gains resistance to cold and can use ice magic more
effectively, but becomes more vulnerable to the effects of fire.
It affects your evasion (+3).
It affects your accuracy (+3).
It lets you sense your surroundings.
It has a curse placed upon it.
v - the ring of Plog
This ring allows its wearer to control the destination of any
teleportation, although without perfect accuracy. Trying to teleport
into a solid object will result in a random teleportation, at least
in the case of a normal teleportation. Also be wary that
controlled teleports will contaminate the subject with residual
magical energy.
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+1).

y - the ring of Wondrous Power
This ring protects its wearer from the loss of their strength,
dexterity
and intelligence.
It affects your AC (+2).
// well...

A - a ring of life protection
I - a cursed ring of protection from cold
X - an amulet of clarity
Y - an amulet of conservation
Z - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
Potions
f - a potion of speed
Books
n - a manual of Shields
// For excess XP

Magical staves
w - a rod of destruction
// Inaccuracy, Magma, Cold. Used a lot for finishing off fleeing
monsters.

W - a rod of destruction
// Iron Bolt, Lightning Bolt, and whatever the third thing is.

Miscellaneous
H - a bottled efreet

You have 7876 experience left.

Skills:
* Level 27 Fighting
- Level 2 Short Blades
- Level 2 Long Blades
* Level 27 Maces & Flails
+ Level 3 Throwing
// From a manual

+ Level 20 Armour
+ Level 4 Dodging
// I was thinking about training this for a bit. Having 40+ AC and 20+
Evasion would have been nice.

+ Level 9 Shields
+ Level 12 Traps & Doors
+ Level 21 Invocations
// I had to put the XP somewhere. :)

+ Level 22 Evocations

You have 26 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You have tough skin (AC +1).
You are agile (Dex +1).
You digest meat inefficiently.
Your flesh is heat resistant.
You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You can spit poison.
You can sense your immediate surroundings.
You are partially covered in patterned scales (AC + 1).
// Very lucky with the mutations. I got the fire resistance and see
invisible pretty early, and didn't want to risk them to get rid of the
"digest meat inefficiently" mutation.

--
/Johan

Johan Strandell wrote:
> This one put the stupid in YASD.
>
> 1) He died from Int drain.
> 2) He had a ring of sustain abilities with him to prevent just that.
> 3) He didn't have to hang around in Tartarus, trying to figure out if
> you can get into the building to the right at L7. (Can you?)

Yes, although AFAIK only by digging. There's not too much treasure in
that part, if any at all, but there's plenty of cheap, safe piety for a
Paladin (not that Paladins are lacking in piety at that point...).

> ivan the Slayer (Mountain Dwarf)
> // He was Skullcrusher at first, but Fighting getting to L27
> // made him into a Slayer. Bug?

Definitely. And it's a new bug, too; the only previous case of a title
changing after the end involved a skill reaching level 28 due to the
reading of a manual (the check to ensure that a skill doesn't reach
level 28 is only made before an exercising; this is normally not a
problem since exercisings normally don't provide anywhere near enough
increase to go up multiple levels, but it is a problem with manuals
since the trainings you can get are orders of magnitude larger).

> The Shining One is a bit underwhelming in the early and middle game, but
> at least the thunderbolts and Daevas are nice. (Except when they turn
> hostile because you get Hellfire thrown on you from nowhere in Gehenna -
> probably a bug.)

Ouch!

> W - a rod of destruction
> // Iron Bolt, Lightning Bolt, and whatever the third thing is.

Fireball. I feel like such a nerd for knowing that from memory. :)

Erik