ChessRogue version 2

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

ChessRogue is a mini-roguelike starring chess pieces. You play the
White King, and your quest is to fight your way past armies of pawns,
knights, bishops, rooks and queens to kill the Black King.

Windows and Linux versions are available for download from
http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.html

Version 2 fixes most of the bugs from the original 3DRL, and makes a
few adjustments to the difficulty level to make it a little fairer.

--
Chris

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Nice game, very fun.

Chris Morris wrote ChessRogue:

> ChessRogue is a mini-roguelike starring chess pieces. You play the
> White King, and your quest is to fight your way past armies of pawns,
> knights, bishops, rooks and queens to kill the Black King.
>
> Windows and Linux versions are available for download from
> http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.html
>
> Version 2 fixes most of the bugs from the original 3DRL, and makes a
> few adjustments to the difficulty level to make it a little fairer.

I have just won ChessRogue (with 2420 points). A great small game with
many interesting tactics to discover, balance is good. My comments:

- I don't think the name White King is appropriate. The word "king" in
chess has a special meaning. I would expect that, being a king, I am
able to move and capture diagonally. I think it would be better to be
a "prince" who avenges his father, the White King, or a "hero", which
somehow suggests ability to become more powerful by defeating enemies.

- Most of my games were ended not by checkmate, but by some kind of typo,
or not noticing a threat. I think that a simple "Are you sure?" when
a move/stop could possibly lead to immediate capture would be useful.
Note that in Chess such moves are plainly illegal, so matches don't end
by one of the players not noticing that their king is under check.
Just checking if there is some piece which is able to make such a
move (without regarding intervening pieces) would be enough, with
one exception --- when being attacked by a rook/queen and an
intervening piece is a pawn or bishop which is unable to open the
way because of water:

= =.=
@.P.Q or @.B.Q
= =.=

Balance would be changed then...

- A traditional roguelike high score list might be nice... 100 entries of
something like "55 username, captured by a bishop on level 5 on
5/5/2005 (5:05)" (the last item is time of play) Also the high
score claims that I lost, which is not true. (I did escape.)

- If you like, you could add items and resource management (e.g.
potion of speed, polymorph, limited flying carpet), but this
would make it a wholy different game...

- Have you tried announcing on some Chess-related newsgroup or something?
I think they might be interested...

- don't read further if you want to discover interesting tactics
yourself...

- I find that some tactics work despite of being quite cheap, i.e.
rather bugs in AI than tactics. (This may be subjective, since
black obviously has a winning strategy of combining its pieces
into pairs who defend each other, and in a sense, all roguelikes
are exercises in exploiting bad AI. Someone else might disapprove
of tactics which I like.) They are as follows:

- Knights should assume that @ has superpawn and bishop powers (but
no knight nor rook power), and should avoid stepping one bishop's
move from @. Currently, when @ is three steps from N, the N will
happily jump into @'s attacking range. There are lots of other
tactics against knights (they can be captured easily with bare
hands when they enter a pair of corridors separated by a single
row of water; this also works when there is open space above the
upper one), so I think this should be fixed. This should not have
a massive impact on balance (not sure, maybe changing this behavior
would make the later levels harder somehow, a pair of knights who
defend each other is hard to destroy).

- Likewise, the rook should assume that PC has knight, but has no
superknight nor rook yet. In both of following situations the rook
will step into a knight's jump from @, although if it used a correct
strategy it would be safe: (not sure about @ location in (b), but
you can move)

> R... .....@.
> .==. =======
> .=@. .BR....
> .... =======
> (a) (b)

Changing this would probably have a big impact on balance, since
it seems that when I capture a rook it is usually caused by this.
(There are another tactics, like jamming the rook between pawns,
also the rook has no winning strategy in (a) without water)

R <r@xxx.com> writes:
> Chris Morris wrote ChessRogue:
> > ChessRogue is a mini-roguelike starring chess pieces. You play the
> > White King, and your quest is to fight your way past armies of pawns,
> > knights, bishops, rooks and queens to kill the Black King.
> >
> > Windows and Linux versions are available for download from
> > http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.html
> >
> > Version 2 fixes most of the bugs from the original 3DRL, and makes a
> > few adjustments to the difficulty level to make it a little fairer.
>
> I have just won ChessRogue (with 2420 points). A great small game with
> many interesting tactics to discover, balance is good. My comments:

Well done. I wondered how long it would take someone to win. How many
attempts at the queen levels did it take?

> - Most of my games were ended not by checkmate, but by some kind of typo,

That's the roguelike side of it, then...

> or not noticing a threat.

....and, king capture rules excepted, that's the chess side of it. ;)

> I think that a simple "Are you sure?" when a move/stop could
> possibly lead to immediate capture would be useful.

True, but on the other hand true checkmate situations are very rare
until knights appear in large numbers, and quite rare until rooks
appear.

> Just checking if there is some piece which is able to make such a
> move (without regarding intervening pieces) would be enough, with
> one exception --- when being attacked by a rook/queen and an
> intervening piece is a pawn or bishop which is unable to open the
> way because of water:
>
> = =.=
> @.P.Q or @.B.Q
> = =.=

The issue is that, in the situation
===.=
@..PQ
===.=
the pawn *could* move out of the way, but probably won't.

I couldn't work out a way to give a capture warning that wouldn't give
masses of false alarms (or, worse, fail to warn of real danger)

> - A traditional roguelike high score list might be nice... 100 entries of
> something like "55 username, captured by a bishop on level 5 on
> 5/5/2005 (5:05)" (the last item is time of play) Also the high
> score claims that I lost, which is not true. (I did escape.)

Oh? I'll have a look at that, then. Did the highscore call it a win
when you actually won, and just the entry in the highscore is wrong?

> - If you like, you could add items and resource management (e.g.
> potion of speed, polymorph, limited flying carpet), but this
> would make it a wholy different game...

Yes. I left items out since I couldn't see them really fitting.

> - don't read further if you want to discover interesting tactics
> yourself...
>
> - I find that some tactics work despite of being quite cheap, i.e.
> rather bugs in AI than tactics. (This may be subjective, since
> black obviously has a winning strategy of combining its pieces
> into pairs who defend each other, and in a sense, all roguelikes
> are exercises in exploiting bad AI. Someone else might disapprove
> of tactics which I like.) They are as follows:

The AI is intentionally quite stupid, for the sake of balance. I wrote
a very simple AI just to get it working, but found that difficult
enough to deal with as a player, so left it at that.

> - Knights should assume that @ has superpawn and bishop powers (but
> no knight nor rook power), and should avoid stepping one bishop's
> move from @. Currently, when @ is three steps from N, the N will
> happily jump into @'s attacking range.

You do need a bit of free space to do that one, and you also need the
bishop power, which isn't always possible by the first knight
level. When I'm paying attention I find the main problem with knights
is when two or three turn up in the same area before I have their
power.

> There are lots of other tactics against knights (they can be
> captured easily with bare hands when they enter a pair of
> corridors separated by a single row of water; this also works when
> there is open space above the upper one), so I think this should
> be fixed. This should not have a massive impact on balance (not
> sure, maybe changing this behavior would make the later levels
> harder somehow, a pair of knights who defend each other is hard to
> destroy).

That is a (reasonably) straightforward way to capture knights,
yes. Without making them scared of corridors, though, there's not much
way around it, since it's just them running out of options on moving.

> - Likewise, the rook should assume that PC has knight, but has no
> superknight nor rook yet. In both of following situations the rook
> will step into a knight's jump from @, although if it used a correct
> strategy it would be safe:

Rooks assume superknight+superbishop.

> (not sure about @ location in (b), but you can move)

I think one square to the left.

> > R... .....@.
> > .==. =======
> > .=@. .BR....
> > .... =======
> > (a) (b)
>
> Changing this would probably have a big impact on balance, since
> it seems that when I capture a rook it is usually caused by this.
> (There are another tactics, like jamming the rook between pawns,
> also the rook has no winning strategy in (a) without water)

Well, the rook simply can't win in (a) without water, no matter how
smart it is, unless some other pieces turn up.

Of course, to do the same trick on a queen requires superbishop
powers.

--
Chris

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:01:49 +0000 (UTC), Chris Morris
<c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

>ChessRogue is a mini-roguelike starring chess pieces. You play the
>White King, and your quest is to fight your way past armies of pawns,
>knights, bishops, rooks and queens to kill the Black King.

Oh no... racial overtones... :)

>Windows and Linux versions are available for download from
>http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.html
>
>Version 2 fixes most of the bugs from the original 3DRL, and makes a
>few adjustments to the difficulty level to make it a little fairer.

I'd suggest that a darker colour be used to represent the dark tiles -
under the normal Dos screen, the two different shades of grey look too
similar and can make gameplay unnecessairly dangerous (especially since you
can't eyeball diagonals as easily).

Anyway, the first two areas seem to be the most tedious - since most of the
anti-pawn tactics are easily learned (bring them into a corridor and push
them back), it encourages holding down a key - a suicidal tactic in this
game in particular. Fixing this may be difficult.

Oh, and there's a strange bug where there is a short delay appearing
occassionally. Most likely, the display library is acting up...

Chris Morris wrote:

> R <r@xxx.com> writes:
> > I have just won ChessRogue (with 2420 points). A great small game with
> > many interesting tactics to discover, balance is good. My comments:
>
> Well done. I wondered how long it would take someone to win. How many
> attempts at the queen levels did it take?

Somewhere about seven, I think.

> > - Most of my games were ended not by checkmate, but by some kind of typo,
>
> That's the roguelike side of it, then...
>
> > or not noticing a threat.
>
> ....and, king capture rules excepted, that's the chess side of it. ;)

I meant that I did not notice that a knight or a rook which was in another
part of the level managed to find its way to me and I am suddenly dead.

> The issue is that, in the situation
> ===.=
> @..PQ
> ===.=
> the pawn *could* move out of the way, but probably won't.
>
> I couldn't work out a way to give a capture warning that wouldn't give
> masses of false alarms (or, worse, fail to warn of real danger)

I don't think I often make a move that would give a false alarm when
using the algorithm above.

> > - A traditional roguelike high score list might be nice... 100 entries of
> > something like "55 username, captured by a bishop on level 5 on
> > 5/5/2005 (5:05)" (the last item is time of play) Also the high
> > score claims that I lost, which is not true. (I did escape.)
>
> Oh? I'll have a look at that, then. Did the highscore call it a win
> when you actually won, and just the entry in the highscore is wrong?

Yes.

> > - don't read further if you want to discover interesting tactics
> > yourself...
> >
> > - I find that some tactics work despite of being quite cheap, i.e.
> > rather bugs in AI than tactics. (This may be subjective, since
> > black obviously has a winning strategy of combining its pieces
> > into pairs who defend each other, and in a sense, all roguelikes
> > are exercises in exploiting bad AI. Someone else might disapprove
> > of tactics which I like.) They are as follows:
>
> The AI is intentionally quite stupid, for the sake of balance. I wrote
> a very simple AI just to get it working, but found that difficult
> enough to deal with as a player, so left it at that.

Well, if you want to give warnings, you could try to fix these as a
counterbalance. Or maybe give two options, no warnings+simpler AI or
warnings+better AI.

> > - Knights should assume that @ has superpawn and bishop powers (but
> > no knight nor rook power), and should avoid stepping one bishop's
> > move from @. Currently, when @ is three steps from N, the N will
> > happily jump into @'s attacking range.
>
> You do need a bit of free space to do that one, and you also need the
> bishop power, which isn't always possible by the first knight
> level. When I'm paying attention I find the main problem with knights
> is when two or three turn up in the same area before I have their
> power.

> That is a (reasonably) straightforward way to capture knights,
> yes. Without making them scared of corridors, though, there's not much
> way around it, since it's just them running out of options on moving.

I don't want knights to be scared of corridors, I only dislike the first
tactic. But as I said, this may be subjective.

> > (not sure about @ location in (b), but you can move)
>
> I think one square to the left.
>
> > > R... .....@.
> > > .==. =======
> > > .=@. .BR....
> > > .... =======
> > > (a) (b)
> >
> > Changing this would probably have a big impact on balance, since
> > it seems that when I capture a rook it is usually caused by this.
> > (There are another tactics, like jamming the rook between pawns,
> > also the rook has no winning strategy in (a) without water)
>
> Well, the rook simply can't win in (a) without water, no matter how
> smart it is, unless some other pieces turn up.

Yes, that's what I meant (and I have nothing against (a) without water
or jamming). (BTW what happens when I have superknight but no rook
power? I didn't see any "jump but not capture" move type)

> Of course, to do the same trick on a queen requires superbishop
> powers.

Which trick? (I almost never used superbishop, I fought queens by
jamming them between pawns, or by blocking their way with an immobile
bishop)

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) writes:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:01:49 +0000 (UTC), Chris Morris
> <c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Windows and Linux versions are available for download from
> >http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.html
>
> I'd suggest that a darker colour be used to represent the dark tiles -
> under the normal Dos screen, the two different shades of grey look too
> similar and can make gameplay unnecessairly dangerous (especially since you
> can't eyeball diagonals as easily).

This varies a lot from monitor to monitor. Probably I should switch it
to green and bright green since those colours are far more
distinguishable and say it's set in the gardens of the Black King
rather than the bridges.

It might give the knights a bit of camouflage, though. I'll see how it
looks.

> Anyway, the first two areas seem to be the most tedious - since most of the
> anti-pawn tactics are easily learned (bring them into a corridor and push
> them back), it encourages holding down a key - a suicidal tactic in this
> game in particular. Fixing this may be difficult.

I agree that once you've figured it out the first two levels are a bit
dull. It is usually possible to walk through those levels only
capturing the truly suicidal pawns, and get to level 3 without
spending much time, though - of course you are then a few pawns behind
when it comes to dealing with the bishops.

I suppose the alternative would be to give the player the powers of a
real king straightaway and then skip the first two levels, but that
might change the balance on the bishop levels a bit.

> Oh, and there's a strange bug where there is a short delay appearing
> occassionally. Most likely, the display library is acting up...

Is there any pattern to this appearing? How fast a machine?

--

R <r@xxx.com> writes:
> Chris Morris wrote:
> > > or not noticing a threat.
> >
> > ....and, king capture rules excepted, that's the chess side of it. ;)
>
> I meant that I did not notice that a knight or a rook which was in another
> part of the level managed to find its way to me and I am suddenly dead.

Yes, that happens. I've been caught by that sort of thing before.

> > The issue is that, in the situation
> > ===.=
> > @..PQ
> > ===.=
> > the pawn *could* move out of the way, but probably won't.
> >
> > I couldn't work out a way to give a capture warning that wouldn't give
> > masses of false alarms (or, worse, fail to warn of real danger)
>
> I don't think I often make a move that would give a false alarm when
> using the algorithm above.

True. The problem is that the code that handles movement is the
messiest bit of the game and it's a surprise that it works at all. I
think querying it to see what _might_ happen would make it collapse
completely. ;)

If I ever get round to rewriting it for neatness then I might do
capture warnings.

> > > - A traditional roguelike high score list might be nice... 100 entries of
> > > something like "55 username, captured by a bishop on level 5 on
> > > 5/5/2005 (5:05)" (the last item is time of play) Also the high
> > > score claims that I lost, which is not true. (I did escape.)
> >
> > Oh? I'll have a look at that, then. Did the highscore call it a win
> > when you actually won, and just the entry in the highscore is wrong?
>
> Yes.

Okay. I've been told about some other high score problems so I'll go
away and look at this.

> > That is a (reasonably) straightforward way to capture knights,
> > yes. Without making them scared of corridors, though, there's not much
> > way around it, since it's just them running out of options on moving.
>
> I don't want knights to be scared of corridors, I only dislike the first
> tactic. But as I said, this may be subjective.

I suspect if the knights assumed bishop powers then it would get too tough.

> Yes, that's what I meant (and I have nothing against (a) without water
> or jamming). (BTW what happens when I have superknight but no rook
> power? I didn't see any "jump but not capture" move type)

Superknight just adds jump capability to all two-square moves you
already have.

> > Of course, to do the same trick on a queen requires superbishop
> > powers.
>
> Which trick? (I almost never used superbishop, I fought queens by
> jamming them between pawns, or by blocking their way with an immobile
> bishop)

I don't mean superbishop, I mean superknight+(any)bishop, which is a
bit more likely.

--
Chris