[Crawl] Dungeon Crawl Alternative?

Has anybody tried this Dungeon Crawl variant?

http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/crawl-alternative/index.html

Many of the changes seem a litte... extreme. The very idea of messing
with Sigmund, for instance, gives me the creeps. It also seems to go
too far in the direction of making the early game easy, at least
judging by the feature list.

--
Darshan Shaligram <scintilla@gmail.com> Deus vult

A *easy* roguelike? Spawn of Satan! //SARCASM

"The very idea of messing with Sigmund, for instance, gives me the
creeps. It also seems to go too far in the direction of making the
early game easy, at least judging by the feature list."
Boo-frickin'-hoo, he says it in his first few lines:

# the opening should be easy
# the endgame should be hard <---
# be kind to the player

Besides the majority of the things changed are actually reasonable
fixes.
Aquirement actually respects the Draconian's armor constraints!
And Steam Dragon Armor actually gives steam resistance now!

He turned the orb gaurdians invisible, made Trog only give you
berserking, and made it impossible for the Mummy player species to get
fire restistant. And that last one is especially nasty, as even the
weakest fire spell can temp. reduce your max HP AND do damage to you.
THAT is nasty.

Darshan Shaligram wrote:
> Has anybody tried this Dungeon Crawl variant?
>
> http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/crawl-alternative/index.html

To me it sounds *very* promizing. Unfortunately it's missing something
essential: the famous Darshan Shaligram patch-set! I can't live w/o it
anymore. I have no clue how much work it would be to re-write (or just
modify?) the current patch to run with crawl-alternative...

Rubinstein
--
in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum

"Mechanoid" <necromancer_90@hotmail.com> writes:

>Boo-frickin'-hoo, he says it in his first few lines:

># the opening should be easy
># the endgame should be hard <---
># be kind to the player

Well, I like the standard version better. The early game
should be hard as it is, and the late game needn't be
any harder. Zot is challenging enough already.

>Besides the majority of the things changed are actually reasonable
>fixes.
>Aquirement actually respects the Draconian's armor constraints!
>And Steam Dragon Armor actually gives steam resistance now!

This kind of bug fixes would be really great to have in the
standard version, of course. But I don't like most of the
changes.

However, in my opinion variants are good to have in general.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto

"Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Darshan Shaligram wrote:
>> Has anybody tried this Dungeon Crawl variant?
>>
>> http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/crawl-alternative/index.html
>
> To me it sounds *very* promizing. Unfortunately it's missing something
> essential: the famous Darshan Shaligram patch-set! I can't live w/o it
> anymore. I have no clue how much work it would be to re-write (or just
> modify?) the current patch to run with crawl-alternative...

Probably as much work as it would be to chuck a Harrison at the code.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:

> "Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Darshan Shaligram wrote:
>> ... no clue how much work it would be to re-write (or just
>> modify?) the current patch to run with crawl-alternative...
>
> Probably as much work as it would be to chuck a Harrison at the code.

To chuck a what? *sheepish grin*
--

In <hdf33vu2.fsf@gmail.com> Darshan Shaligram wrote:

> Many of the changes seem a litte... extreme. The very idea of messing
> with Sigmund, for instance, gives me the creeps. It also seems to go
> too far in the direction of making the early game easy, at least
> judging by the feature list.

I agree.

Turning down the initial difficulty a notch is a good goal though, but
this seems to take it a step too far. Sigmund, orc wizards and priests,
gnolls, etc, are supposed to be a challenge in the early game, and
changing that would give Crawl a different feeling.
Besides, it teaches the player that he or she shouldn't be running
around carelessly, since it is possible that a band of baddies might
turn up around the next corner. Better learn that early, rather than
down in the Vaults or the Lair.

It is quite frustrating being killed in the first room or by the first
hobgoblin you meet with some of the weaker races (others just walk
through them), and if it is possible to eliminate some of that I'm all
for it.

That said, the bugfixes and most of the changes in the "more rational"
section are good, and should be incorporated into the main branch IMO. (
I like combat as it is, the Abyss should be a strange place, and
mutation should be a factor in the game, to just mention three fixes I
don't like.)

The gods do need rebalancing (especially the two lawful ones), but I'm
sceptical to most of the fixes.

--
Johan

> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>>
>> "Rubinstein" <picommander@t-online.de> wrote in message
>>> Darshan Shaligram wrote:
>>> ... no clue how much work it would be to re-write (or just
>>> modify?) the current patch to run with crawl-alternative...
>>
>> Probably as much work as it would be to chuck a Harrison at the code.
>
> To chuck a what? *sheepish grin*

Ah, *bandism: to clean the code.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-