19" LCD Monitor is it an UltraSharp Model?

My buddy ordered a Dell 4700 PC w/ 19" Ultrsharp monitor. Last night we
were watching a dvd on the PC the
movie didnot appear to be very sharp. Nowhere on the 19" flat panel lcd is
it marked Ultrasharp. I've installed/setup
>20 17" and 18" Dell LCD monitors. I ordered all of them as ultrasharp
monitors ans all of them are marked ultrasharp
on the monitor bezel.

Do you think my buddy was shipped a regular (not ultrasharp) 19" lcd
monitor?

Mike
10 answers Last reply
More about monitor ultrasharp model

    I'm sitting in front of dual UltraSharp (TM) monitors, 17" and 19" and
    neither are marked "UltraSharp". I think Dell did that for a year or so.
    If your monitor is a 1901FP then it is "UltraSharp". Keep in mind that
    "UltraSharp" is a trademark and doesn't necessarily have any meaning. To
    get maximum sharpness you will need to run it at 1280x1024 resolution
    using the DVI interface. If you are running the movie full screen then
    it would be dithering and won't be at full sharpness. Also action will
    cause bluring. Best way to observe sharpness is with very sharp images
    such as text.

    Mike wrote:
    > My buddy ordered a Dell 4700 PC w/ 19" Ultrsharp monitor. Last night we
    > were watching a dvd on the PC the
    > movie didnot appear to be very sharp. Nowhere on the 19" flat panel lcd is
    > it marked Ultrasharp. I've installed/setup

    Besides the Media Source, you have to look at the graphics card.

    "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > I'm sitting in front of dual UltraSharp (TM) monitors, 17" and 19" and
    > neither are marked "UltraSharp". I think Dell did that for a year or so.
    > If your monitor is a 1901FP then it is "UltraSharp". Keep in mind that
    > "UltraSharp" is a trademark and doesn't necessarily have any meaning. To
    > get maximum sharpness you will need to run it at 1280x1024 resolution
    > using the DVI interface. If you are running the movie full screen then it
    > would be dithering and won't be at full sharpness. Also action will cause
    > bluring. Best way to observe sharpness is with very sharp images such as
    > text.
    >
    > Mike wrote:
    >> My buddy ordered a Dell 4700 PC w/ 19" Ultrsharp monitor. Last night we
    >> were watching a dvd on the PC the
    >> movie didnot appear to be very sharp. Nowhere on the 19" flat panel lcd
    >> is
    >> it marked Ultrasharp. I've installed/setup

    Looked on the back of the monitor but didn't see 1901fp anywhere.
    Upped the resolution to 1208 X . . . and it's sharper, however
    the user ststed the fonts are too small so I backed up some.

    Using onboard Intel video w/ analog output.
    Is there anyway to run it at optimal resolution and increase font size.
    Don't know how to do this in XP.

    Mike
    "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > I'm sitting in front of dual UltraSharp (TM) monitors, 17" and 19" and
    > neither are marked "UltraSharp". I think Dell did that for a year or so.
    > If your monitor is a 1901FP then it is "UltraSharp". Keep in mind that
    > "UltraSharp" is a trademark and doesn't necessarily have any meaning. To
    > get maximum sharpness you will need to run it at 1280x1024 resolution
    > using the DVI interface. If you are running the movie full screen then
    > it would be dithering and won't be at full sharpness. Also action will
    > cause bluring. Best way to observe sharpness is with very sharp images
    > such as text.
    >
    > Mike wrote:
    > > My buddy ordered a Dell 4700 PC w/ 19" Ultrsharp monitor. Last night we
    > > were watching a dvd on the PC the
    > > movie didnot appear to be very sharp. Nowhere on the 19" flat panel lcd
    is
    > > it marked Ultrasharp. I've installed/setup

    That is your problem. The ONLY resolution that will be crisp is 1280x1024 --
    the native resolution. This bites many people who think LCD panels are cool.

    Go into Display Settings. Click on the Settings tab. Click the advanced
    button. Try various DPI settings.

    Tom
    "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Looked on the back of the monitor but didn't see 1901fp anywhere.
    > Upped the resolution to 1208 X . . . and it's sharper, however
    > the user ststed the fonts are too small so I backed up some.
    >
    > Using onboard Intel video w/ analog output.
    > Is there anyway to run it at optimal resolution and increase font size.
    > Don't know how to do this in XP.
    >
    > Mike
    > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm sitting in front of dual UltraSharp (TM) monitors, 17" and 19" and
    >> neither are marked "UltraSharp". I think Dell did that for a year or so.
    >> If your monitor is a 1901FP then it is "UltraSharp". Keep in mind that
    >> "UltraSharp" is a trademark and doesn't necessarily have any meaning. To
    >> get maximum sharpness you will need to run it at 1280x1024 resolution
    >> using the DVI interface. If you are running the movie full screen then
    >> it would be dithering and won't be at full sharpness. Also action will
    >> cause bluring. Best way to observe sharpness is with very sharp images
    >> such as text.
    >>
    >> Mike wrote:
    >> > My buddy ordered a Dell 4700 PC w/ 19" Ultrsharp monitor. Last night
    >> > we
    >> > were watching a dvd on the PC the
    >> > movie didnot appear to be very sharp. Nowhere on the 19" flat panel lcd
    > is
    >> > it marked Ultrasharp. I've installed/setup

    Been there done that.

    Mke

    > That is your problem. The ONLY resolution that will be crisp is
    1280x1024 --
    > the native resolution. This bites many people who think LCD panels are
    cool.

    > Go into Display Settings. Click on the Settings tab. Click the advanced
    > button. Try various DPI settings.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Looked on the back of the monitor but didn't see 1901fp anywhere.
    > > Upped the resolution to 1208 X . . . and it's sharper, however
    > > the user ststed the fonts are too small so I backed up some.
    > >
    > > Using onboard Intel video w/ analog output.
    > > Is there anyway to run it at optimal resolution and increase font size.
    > > Don't know how to do this in XP.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > >> I'm sitting in front of dual UltraSharp (TM) monitors, 17" and 19" and
    > >> neither are marked "UltraSharp". I think Dell did that for a year or
    so.
    > >> If your monitor is a 1901FP then it is "UltraSharp". Keep in mind that
    > >> "UltraSharp" is a trademark and doesn't necessarily have any meaning.
    > >> get maximum sharpness you will need to run it at 1280x1024 resolution
    > >> using the DVI interface. If you are running the movie full screen then
    > >> it would be dithering and won't be at full sharpness. Also action will
    > >> cause bluring. Best way to observe sharpness is with very sharp images
    > >> such as text.

    > > is

    Then it worked, right? What size did you try?

    > Been there done that.
    >
    > Mke

    >> That is your problem. The ONLY resolution that will be crisp is
    > 1280x1024 --
    >> the native resolution. This bites many people who think LCD panels are
    > cool.
    >>
    >> Go into Display Settings. Click on the Settings tab. Click the advanced
    >> button. Try various DPI settings.
    >>
    >> Tom

    Did you enable "Clear Type"?

    "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Been there done that.
    >
    > Mke

    >> That is your problem. The ONLY resolution that will be crisp is
    > 1280x1024 --
    >> the native resolution. This bites many people who think LCD panels are
    > cool.
    >>
    >> Go into Display Settings. Click on the Settings tab. Click the advanced
    >> button. Try various DPI settings.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Looked on the back of the monitor but didn't see 1901fp anywhere.
    >> > Upped the resolution to 1208 X . . . and it's sharper, however
    >> > the user ststed the fonts are too small so I backed up some.
    >> >
    >> > Using onboard Intel video w/ analog output.
    >> > Is there anyway to run it at optimal resolution and increase font size.
    >> > Don't know how to do this in XP.
    >> >
    >> > Mike
    >> > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > so.

    > lcd
    >> > is

    Right now, it's set on the resolution right below 1280x
    also installed XlearType fonts, which helps.

    Mike

    > Then it worked, right? What size did you try?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Been there done that.
    > >
    > > Mke
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> That is your problem. The ONLY resolution that will be crisp is
    > > 1280x1024 --
    > >> the native resolution. This bites many people who think LCD panels are
    > > cool.
    > >>
    > >> Go into Display Settings. Click on the Settings tab. Click the
    > >> button. Try various DPI settings.
    > >>
    > >> Tom

    Where should I look for "1901FP" on the monitor? Front bezel?
    Rear of monitor?

    MIke
    '

    Mike wrote:
    > Where should I look for "1901FP" on the monitor? Front bezel?
    > Rear of monitor?

    All of my Dell monitors have the model name *in small print* on the
    large black label on the back of the monitor.

    > Right now, it's set on the resolution right below 1280x

    That's why it isn't sharp. You must set it at 1280x1024. If text is too
    small, adjust its size from Display Properties, Settings pane, click
    on "Advanced".

Dell Ultrasharp Monitors Computers