[ANNOUNCE] CastlevaniaRL: Prelude 1.1 released

Last response: in Video Games
July 13, 2005 11:12:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hello All!

A new version of CRL:p relude has been released, a lot of things have
changed since 1.0a!

CastlevaniaRL: Prelude, is a roguelike game in which you control a
vampire killer that enters the castle of count Dracule seeking to end
his reign of blood over Transylvania.

On his quest in the castle, you will have to face horrible monsters,
and also find the sacred weapons that will help you have a better time
against them; only proper training will prepare you for your final
showdown against the count!

The castle of Dracula is a creature of chaos; every time a Belmont
decides to fight the count, the corridors screw and the halls distort,
thus there is no way to know what awaits you every time you venture
into it.

Version 1.1: 12/07/2005
-----------------------
* Whip levels
* Jumping action
* Improved appearance
* Improved performance
* Enhaced respawning device
* Added special effects for weapons and enemy attacks
* Use '?' or F1 to access game help
* Use 'L' to examine your surroundings
* High Score table
* Resume screen after dying
* Randomly generated level
* Elevated tiles added
* Stair tiles added
* Final Boss added
* Enhaced action selector methods
* Enhaced messaging system
* Magic doors with key requirements
* And a lot more...

Downloads at: http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl

--
Slash
http://peltkore.net/~szdev

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> A new version of CRL:p relude has been released, a lot of things have
> changed since 1.0a!

Whoa, a lot indeed... great work.
I have played a quick game, and I know I'm going to play this one for
sure :)  And it's got a pretty start screen too! :D

Now, to the bad news: criticizing (insert evil laughter and eerie music
here). Hehe, nothing serious for now, it's only the web page, that shows
0Kb as the size for CRL 1.1 :o

--
Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...
Anonymous

Kaleth ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > A new version of CRL:p relude has been released, a lot of things have
> > changed since 1.0a!
> [snip]
> I've played a bit more, and I've noticed an issue concerning screen
> resolutions. I am using 1280x1024, as it is my TFT native resolution.
> Using that res. makes the display to show incorrectly, specifically it
> appears to be cut in the right part of the screen. I've tested another
> "standard" resolution like 1024x768, and then the display shows OK.
> I guess that it happens because 1024x78 is a 4:3 res. and 1280x1024 is a
> 5:4 res.

Fixed

> Another issue noticed concerns the font used. Playing the game in
> Windows it uses "Courier New" (could it be?), whereas in Linux it shows
> some non-monospace font.

Fixed

> Could the font be specified in some
> configuration file? Even a text file would do.

Implemented

> Thank you, and keep up the good work! Will post more incidences if I
> find them :)

Thanks for the feedback! I will release a bugfix version in one week.

> --
> Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains....

--
Slash, writing from an office deep into the city
July 14, 2005 12:43:55 PM

Kaleth ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > A new version of CRL:p relude has been released, a lot of things have
> > changed since 1.0a!
> [snip]
> I've played a bit more, and I've noticed an issue concerning screen
> resolutions. I am using 1280x1024, as it is my TFT native resolution.
> Using that res. makes the display to show incorrectly, specifically it
> appears to be cut in the right part of the screen. I've tested another
> "standard" resolution like 1024x768, and then the display shows OK.
> I guess that it happens because 1024x78 is a 4:3 res. and 1280x1024 is a
> 5:4 res.
>
> Another issue noticed concerns the font used. Playing the game in
> Windows it uses "Courier New" (could it be?), whereas in Linux it shows
> some non-monospace font. Could the font be specified in some
> configuration file? Even a text file would do.
>
> Thank you, and keep up the good work! Will post more incidences if I
> find them :)

I decided to release a version with these fixes and improvements, it is
available at the homepage.

Thanks!

> --
> Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...

--
Slash
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:11:28 PM

Kaleth ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> [snip]
> > I decided to release a version with these fixes and improvements, it is
> > available at the homepage.
> [snip]
> Thank you!
>
> Downloaded it already. Now that I have been able to go a bit further (me
> bad, bad player), I think I have seen a couple strange things more.
>
> I am supposing that % represent stairs (right?).
Yes

> Monsters seem to be
> able to walk them, but are unable to pass onto the platforms above. I
> guess it is because monsters don't really go upstairs/downstairs, but
> keep walking under the stairs.

Yes ;)

> If it is the case, seems like trouble
> because representing that can be a mess. Some times, when in a turn
> monsters walk "over" the stairs, they dissapear for said turn (the stair
> section is drawn instead of the character representing the monster),
> appearing the next turn when they have moved somewhere else (even when
> they have moved to another stair section).

I tried to reproduce this, but couldnt really see it... there is no
reason for that as the level is drawn before the monsters... very
weird, perhaps you killed one of them and another was spawned below the
stair?

> Then, when I stand at the upper side of a stair (in a platform-tile
> adjacent to the stair), Ghouls and Skeletons are not able to
> melee-attack me, but Black Panthers do.

Fixed

> In the next two levels/screens, Bats come and go through inner and outer
> walls, while Mermen get stuck in them if they happen to move there.

Well, bats can move through walls, and they are spawned from outside of
the level. You saw mermen being generated inside a wall or something???

I have uploaded a new version with all the fixes
I also fixed an error in the distribution (The game was loading
Trebuchet MS as the user defined font :D  )

> Anyway, I am enjoying CastlevaniaRL:p relude very much!!! :) )))

Nice!! and thanks for all the comments ;)

> Greetings.
> --
> Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...

--
Slash
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:57:10 PM

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> A new version of CRL:p relude has been released, a lot of things have
> changed since 1.0a!
[snip]
I've played a bit more, and I've noticed an issue concerning screen
resolutions. I am using 1280x1024, as it is my TFT native resolution.
Using that res. makes the display to show incorrectly, specifically it
appears to be cut in the right part of the screen. I've tested another
"standard" resolution like 1024x768, and then the display shows OK.
I guess that it happens because 1024x78 is a 4:3 res. and 1280x1024 is a
5:4 res.

Another issue noticed concerns the font used. Playing the game in
Windows it uses "Courier New" (could it be?), whereas in Linux it shows
some non-monospace font. Could the font be specified in some
configuration file? Even a text file would do.

Thank you, and keep up the good work! Will post more incidences if I
find them :)
--
Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:19:20 AM

SZDev - Slash wrote:
[snip]
> I decided to release a version with these fixes and improvements, it is
> available at the homepage.
[snip]
Thank you!

Downloaded it already. Now that I have been able to go a bit further (me
bad, bad player), I think I have seen a couple strange things more.

I am supposing that % represent stairs (right?). Monsters seem to be
able to walk them, but are unable to pass onto the platforms above. I
guess it is because monsters don't really go upstairs/downstairs, but
keep walking under the stairs. If it is the case, seems like trouble
because representing that can be a mess. Some times, when in a turn
monsters walk "over" the stairs, they dissapear for said turn (the stair
section is drawn instead of the character representing the monster),
appearing the next turn when they have moved somewhere else (even when
they have moved to another stair section).

Then, when I stand at the upper side of a stair (in a platform-tile
adjacent to the stair), Ghouls and Skeletons are not able to
melee-attack me, but Black Panthers do.

In the next two levels/screens, Bats come and go through inner and outer
walls, while Mermen get stuck in them if they happen to move there.

Anyway, I am enjoying CastlevaniaRL:p relude very much!!! :) )))

Greetings.
--
Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:06:55 PM

Kaleth ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> >
> > Kaleth ha escrito:
> >
> >>SZDev - Slash wrote:
> >>[snip]
> >

> >>If it is the case, seems like trouble
> >>because representing that can be a mess. Some times, when in a turn
> >>monsters walk "over" the stairs, they dissapear for said turn (the stair
> >>section is drawn instead of the character representing the monster),
> >>appearing the next turn when they have moved somewhere else (even when
> >>they have moved to another stair section).
> >

> > I tried to reproduce this, but couldnt really see it... there is no
> > reason for that as the level is drawn before the monsters... very
> > weird, perhaps you killed one of them and another was spawned below the
> > stair?
> My mistake. I've confused you. The behavior I get is: while I walk the
> stairs, I can pass "over" a monster, because the monster is below them
> (thus the monster "dissapears" cause my character is drawn the last),
> but the monster actually attacks me; I get the 'bounced back by' message
> and my health level is decreased, but my character doesn't bounce back
> though. I can continue walking the stairs as normal, but losing health
> if a monster is below the stair section where my character stands on a
> given turn.

Ok, the reason you dont get bounced back is that you are not supposed
to be bounced back by monsters when you are standing on stairs; however
this confusion is fixed now.

> >>Then, when I stand at the upper side of a stair (in a platform-tile
> >>adjacent to the stair), Ghouls and Skeletons are not able to
> >>melee-attack me, but Black Panthers do.
> >

> > Fixed
> Yep, now they can't touch me. Ha ha ha! you puny kitties are bound to
> die :p

:D

> >>In the next two levels/screens, Bats come and go through inner and outer
> >>walls, while Mermen get stuck in them if they happen to move there.
> >

> > Well, bats can move through walls, and they are spawned from outside of
> > the level. You saw mermen being generated inside a wall or something???
> No. Now that I have tracked their movements I can explain myself better
> :)  Mermen are generated underwater, but I have seen them jump out of the
> water into a wall section. If it has some adjacent ground, mermen tend
> to move there in the next turn, but if it is surrounded by water they
> get stuck there.

Yes, I also noticed this while playing yesterday. It is fixed now.

> Also, in Stage 1, sometimes I see a monster where the
> door to the next stage is, unable to move. Might they be crawling out
> from the door tile?

Fixed

> > I have uploaded a new version with all the fixes
> Got it!

I have uploaded a new version with all the fixes

> > I also fixed an error in the distribution (The game was loading
> > Trebuchet MS as the user defined font :D  )
> Hadn't noticed that. The first thing I did before playing was opening
> font.cnf and changing the font to the one I wanted. Nice that there is a
> way to set a default monospace font. :)

:)

> >>Anyway, I am enjoying CastlevaniaRL:p relude very much!!! :) )))
> > Nice!! and thanks for all the comments ;)
> >>Greetings.
> >>--
> >>Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...
> > --
> > Slash
> >
> There is something I noticed: when 'L'ooking around, I can cross the
> stage border and look to "void" tiles. It would not be much of a concern
> if it wasn't for the cursor leaving the looked void tiles marked with
> it's "bitmap". See for yourself, I can't explain better :p

Fixed

The following additions and fixes were also made:
* Mermen allowed to jump back into the water
* Bats are evil now
* Pit traps without exit have been fixed
* Some other minor fixes

As always, thanks for all your comments

> --
> Kaleth, writing from a realm deep into the mountains...

--
Slash
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:10:21 PM

SZDev - Slash wrote:

> Kaleth ha escrito:
>
>>SZDev - Slash wrote:
>>[snip]
>>
>>>I decided to release a version with these fixes and improvements, it is
>>>available at the homepage.
>>
>>[snip]
>>Thank you!
>>
>>Downloaded it already. Now that I have been able to go a bit further (me
>>bad, bad player), I think I have seen a couple strange things more.
>>
>>I am supposing that % represent stairs (right?).
>
> Yes
>

>>Monsters seem to be
>>able to walk them, but are unable to pass onto the platforms above. I
>>guess it is because monsters don't really go upstairs/downstairs, but
>>keep walking under the stairs.
>

> Yes ;)
>

>>If it is the case, seems like trouble
>>because representing that can be a mess. Some times, when in a turn
>>monsters walk "over" the stairs, they dissapear for said turn (the stair
>>section is drawn instead of the character representing the monster),
>>appearing the next turn when they have moved somewhere else (even when
>>they have moved to another stair section).
>

> I tried to reproduce this, but couldnt really see it... there is no
> reason for that as the level is drawn before the monsters... very
> weird, perhaps you killed one of them and another was spawned below the
> stair?
My mistake. I've confused you. The behavior I get is: while I walk the
stairs, I can pass "over" a monster, because the monster is below them
(thus the monster "dissapears" cause my character is drawn the last),
but the monster actually attacks me; I get the 'bounced back by' message
and my health level is decreased, but my character doesn't bounce back
though. I can continue walking the stairs as normal, but losing health
if a monster is below the stair section where my character stands on a
given turn.
>>Then, when I stand at the upper side of a stair (in a platform-tile
>>adjacent to the stair), Ghouls and Skeletons are not able to
>>melee-attack me, but Black Panthers do.
>

> Fixed
Yep, now they can't touch me. Ha ha ha! you puny kitties are bound to
die :p

>>In the next two levels/screens, Bats come and go through inner and outer
>>walls, while Mermen get stuck in them if they happen to move there.
>

> Well, bats can move through walls, and they are spawned from outside of
> the level. You saw mermen being generated inside a wall or something???
No. Now that I have tracked their movements I can explain myself better
:)  Mermen are generated underwater, but I have seen them jump out of the
water into a wall section. If it has some adjacent ground, mermen tend
to move there in the next turn, but if it is surrounded by water they
get stuck there. Also, in Stage 1, sometimes I see a monster where the

!