[Crawl] Whoops! Just upset Ely...

Didn't notice I'd accidentally hit p rather than P when swapping
amulets. Went and killed something:

Elyvilon did not appreciate that!
You feel extremely guilty.
"You will pay for your transgression, mortal!"

No more Ely help. What do I do?!?

Rich

Cheers Eric. 1 trip to my old Lair stash and a couple to all the
weapons I never bothered ID'ing in the orc mines and I served my
pennance. Now back to Zot for a few levels before considering taking on
the hells/Tomb/pandemonium...

Can probably win with this guy but I think it's time to go for it.

Took my first visit to the Abyss recently (by accident! entered it
rather than a staircase by mistake!) and found it easy enough although
didn't find the rune.

Rich

Dafty wrote:
> Didn't notice I'd accidentally hit p rather than P when swapping
> amulets. Went and killed something:
>
> Elyvilon did not appreciate that!
> You feel extremely guilty.
> "You will pay for your transgression, mortal!"
>
> No more Ely help. What do I do?!?
>

> Rich

Anything that would normally increase piety instead decreases penance
when you're under penance.

Thus, wait.

(Or rather: spend a while doing an area that's easy enough that it won't
make a difference that you're cut off from Ely invocations, like the
Swamp if you never got back to it... or see below.)

You can shorten the wait by saccing weapons and ammo, and of course the
game time you spend bopping around collecting up said weapons and ammo
will also help.

Just make sure you don't accidentally off something before your prayer
times out during your trips back from the temple (the simplest solution
is just to shift-5 until your prayer ends after each sac). My subjective
impression is that (fortunately here) penance shortens prayers beyond
the effect caused by the reduction to your piety, but I didn't see any
support for that in the code just now.

Erik

--
out on the limb there is the children
opposite of doormat

Dafty wrote:
> Cheers Eric. 1 trip to my old Lair stash and a couple to all the
> weapons I never bothered ID'ing in the orc mines and I served my
> pennance. Now back to Zot for a few levels before considering taking on
> the hells/Tomb/pandemonium...
>
> Can probably win with this guy but I think it's time to go for it.
>
> Took my first visit to the Abyss recently (by accident! entered it
> rather than a staircase by mistake!) and found it easy enough although
> didn't find the rune.
>

> Rich

Playing an Elyvilonite is a good opportunity to get your first taste of
the Tomb and the no-potion Hells (Cocytus and Tartarus, the Cold and the
Undead Hell, the South and the East Hell, whatever you want to call
them). I'd suggest the Hells before the Tomb; although I tend to do the
opposite nowadays, the Tomb is much easier for me than it was at first,
while the Hells have remained just about as deadly as always, so I'd say
the Hells will be easier for you at this point.

Oh -- actually, you've been in the Hells before, now I remember. But I
think this time you'll feel a bit more secure.

Definitely clear Zot as you're doing before the rest, as it's easier
than any of the bonus areas and will build you up a bit.

I'll stop here before I blather on too much, except for one thing:

the Abyssal rune is very much hit or miss, and on average, it really
takes quite a while to find. People whose characters had no problem with
the challenge of the Abyss per se have given up on the search for the
rune before... although you might on the other hand find it within the
first ten moves (ridiculously improbable, but possible). It's kind of
like Kranach... but that's one ADOM reference too many. :)

Erik