[Crawl] Yeah! First Hell conquered!

Last response: in Video Games
July 15, 2005 8:52:42 AM

The freezing one. Figured it had to be the best to start with given my
fire magic skills and so it proved. Healing was easy enough with Ely
and food, but keeping enough spell points was a lot more tricky!

Found a useful trick after beating the cold hell though. There's a
space like this:

###
+@#
#+#

Simply rest where the @ is and close the doors. No summons to worry
about :)  Blundered into a Zot trap on the way out though (no method of
detect traps found so far...) and too an extended trip into the Abyss.
Kept moving. Used levitation. Tried not to fight anything. Eventually
found my way out but down to 70HP by then.

Anyway perhaps time to try a different one?

Survived what would have been a YASD in the cold hell when I beserked
as I was low on mana and forgot to swap to my melee weapon first! Eek!
Was lucky to come out of beserk after hitting the skeletal dragon with
my staff on enchantment enough to scare it off!

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Devastator

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : + + + See Invis. : +
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : + + . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 26 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 1188038 Res.Elec. : + Gourmand : .
Next Level : 1271999
Exp Needed : 83961 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 7 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 381 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 80/161 (163)
MP : 12/44
Str : 14 Weapon : +6,+5 elf long sword (speed)
Int : 23 Armour : +2 robe (resist)
Dex : 20 Shield :
AC : 17 Helmet : +1 helmet (see invis)
Evasion : 17 Cloak : +2 elf cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +5 pair of gloves "Ewod"
Boots : +2 pair of boots
Play time : 2, 04:42:49 Amulet : amulet "Dogusyx"
Turns : 148614 Ring : ring of levitation
Ring : ring "Ifihinolisi"

You are on level 21.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
B - a +6,+5 elven long sword of speed (weapon)
Armour
h - a +2 elven cloak (worn)
j - a +2 robe of resistance (worn)
s - the +5 pair of gloves "Ewod" (worn)
It greatly protects you from fire.

A - a +1 helmet of see invisible (worn)
K - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
Magical devices
g - a wand of healing (4)
k - a wand of cold (4)
l - a wand of disintegration (5)
q - a wand of draining (2)
r - a wand of digging (5)
Comestibles
e - 13 honeycombs
n - a meat ration
Scrolls
f - a scroll of forgetfulness
i - a scroll of enchant weapon II
I - a scroll of blinking
Jewellery
c - an amulet of the gourmand
d - the amulet "Dogusyx" (around neck)
This amulet protects its wearer from mutations, although not
infallibly so.
It protects you from fire.
It insulates you from electricity.
It makes you much more stealthy.
It lets you turn invisible.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

m - a ring of teleport control
v - the ring "Ifihinolisi" (left hand)
This ring provides protection from heat and fire.
It affects your strength (+1).
It protects you from cold.
It insulates you from electricity.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

x - a ring of wizardry
D - a ring of life protection
H - a +3,+3 ring of slaying
J - a ring of levitation (right hand)
P - the amulet "Usklacoacevac"
This amulet protects its wearer from some forms of mental confusion.

It affects your intelligence (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from magic.
It lets you teleport.

T - the ring of the Mage
This ring increases the ability of its wearer to use magical spells.

It affects your intelligence (+3).
It protects you from magic.

Books
z - a hardcover book
S - a tome of Destruction
U - a tome of Destruction
Magical staves
a - a staff of conjuration
b - a rod of destruction
E - a staff of wizardry
F - a thin staff
Miscellaneous
o - an icy rune
u - a slimy rune
w - a serpentine rune
y - a decaying rune of Zot
C - a silver horn

You have 15 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 11 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 20 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
- Level 1 Armour
+ Level 14 Dodging
+ Level 10 Stealth
+ Level 5 Stabbing
+ Level 15 Spellcasting
+ Level 25 Conjurations
+ Level 11 Enchantments
+ Level 3 Divinations
+ Level 17 Fire Magic
+ Level 9 Invocations
+ Level 5 Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Storm Fire/Conjuration Poor 9
b - Identify Divination Cruddy 6
c - Berserker Rage Enchantment Excellent 3
d - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
f - Detect Curse Divination Great 3
g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Excellent 5
h - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Perfect 4
i - Haste Enchantment Very Good 6
j - Silence Air/Enchantment Great 3
k - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Excellent 3
l - Controlled Blink Translocation Fair 4

Last Messages

B - a +6,+5 elven long sword of speed (weapon)
You miss the rakshasa.
You miss the rakshasa.
You kill the rakshasa!

#....#...^..............#
#.......................#
## ####......................#
..# #...##....................#
..######.?..###............%.....#
..##.......<.....................#
###....[........>...............#
###......................)......#
.............##..@..<............#
.................................#
.................................#
..........................)......#
..........................)......#
.............................)...#
.................................#
.................................#
#################################

Vanquished Creatures
Antaeus (Coc:7)
3 orbs of fire
A royal jelly (Slime:6)
Boris (twice) (Blade Vault:7)
Geryon (Hell)
A Killer Klown (Zot:4)
A Killer Klown (shapeshifter) (Vault:5)
Margery (D:25)
Xtahua (Blade)
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:34:37 PM

Dafty writes:
> [Yeah! First Hell conquered!]

> The freezing one. Figured it had to be the best to start with given my
> fire magic skills and so it proved. Healing was easy enough with Ely
> and food, but keeping enough spell points was a lot more tricky!
>
> Anyway perhaps time to try a different one?

I highly recommend it. The other ones have much greater rewards than
the cold hell. Dis, for example, gives I believe slightly better
rewards than the elven halls.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:34:10 AM

The orb of energy hits Dispater.
You kill Dispater!
p - a wand of frost
You see here a golden staff.
<snip>
t - a golden staff
You see here a deck of cards.
You see here an iron rune.
G - an iron rune
You see here a runed morningstar.
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Cast which spell ([?*] list)?
Wield which item (- for none)?
t - the uncursed Staff of Dispater (weapon)
Examine which item?
You feel the staff feeding on your energy!
You feel slightly more hungry.
You feel extremely guilty.
"You will pay for your transgression, mortal!"
Which direction ([*+-] to target)?
The spell fizzles.

Without being spoiled I know of no way to discover what the staff does
without evoking it :(  Poo!

Rich
July 20, 2005 9:38:46 AM

Also haven't found any treasure rooms aside from 1 with money it in.
Seems risky to try it with no help from Ely. Worst nasties are
executioners. Seem immune to my fire magic and I'm no where near buff
enough to take them in melee. Only option has been orb of energy and
speeding up if it's an option. Am I missing any trick with those guys
or are they just plain nasty?

Rich
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:10:37 PM

(The Aeio Usenet service is, as is its wont as a free service
apparently provided for the love of it, having hiccups once again. I'm
using the silly dashes around Crawl in an attempt to overcome GG's
problems regarding brackets (that's "square brackets" to you, Dafty :-)
[1]).)

> Wield which item (- for none)?
> t - the uncursed Staff of Dispater (weapon)
> Examine which item?
> You feel the staff feeding on your energy!
> You feel slightly more hungry.
> You feel extremely guilty.
> "You will pay for your transgression, mortal!"
[...]
> Without being spoiled I know of no way to discover what the staff does
> without evoking it :(  Poo!
>
> Rich

if (you.inv[item_wield_2].base_type == OBJ_WEAPONS)
{
if (is_demonic(you.inv[item_wield_2].sub_type)
&& (you.religion == GOD_ZIN || you.religion ==
GOD_SHINING_ONE
|| you.religion == GOD_ELYVILON))
{
if (showMsgs)
mpr("You really shouldn't be using a nasty item like
this.");
}

Errr... back to plain English. :-) When you wield a weapon for the use
of which a "good" god will punish you, you normally get the message
"You really shouldn't be using a nasty item like this." Thus normally
the unspoiled can guess (besides intuiting from the context of a name
like e.g. "demon blade") that using it isn't going to go over too well
with the likes of Ely. Trouble is, AFAICT, the Staff of Dispater
doesn't have the is_demonic flag, and incidentally I'll thus bet that
*hitting* things with it won't get you in trouble with Ely (though
having run a stavesman I can tell you you wouldn't want to use it for
fighting at that point in the game even if staves were your thing -
you'd have a perfectly good maxed-out ego quarterstaff for that).

Let's throw in a few more parentheses here to get it out of my system.

((((((((((((((something))))))))))))))

My, that was cathartic.

The evocation for the Staff of Dispater casts the Hellfire spell --
it's that thingy that e.g. Hellions cast at you, and it doesn't come as
a player spell, so you don't see it very often. Obviously, Hellfire is
unholy, thus the punishment.

What do y'all think? Does the Staff of Dispater need a better
indication of the unholiness of its invocation, or is the fact that
it's a unique drop by a lord of Hell indication enough?

The case for a better indication:
- what just happened to Dafty.
- the Sceptre of Asmodeus is AFAICT *not* even a little bit guaranteed
arouse the ire of good gods when evoked, since most of the time, it
will
not cast an unholy spell. (Occasionally it casts Hellfire too,
however.)
So for one whose mental model was first conditioned by the Sceptre,
the
reaction to the Staff's evocation can be a bit of a shock.
- players have had plenty of time, by the time they're conquering
Hells, to
build expectation regarding holiness of other spells, but there's no
other
other way to experience casting Hellfire and the reaction to it
besides
evoking the SoD.

The case against a better indication:
- the item description reads "This legendary item can unleash the fury
of
Hell." Doesn't sound like something TSO is going to give you milk and
cookies
for, does it?
- a lord of Hell dropped it... sounds fishy!

What with the "Dungeon Crawl Reference" forking project starting to
form over on dev-crawl and what with Darshan's plan to push the next
patch release over into the previously seemingly taboo territory of
bugfixing, these kinds of questions are starting to make sense to ask
again.

Erik

[1] One of the scarier things about doing end-user e-mail technical
support for software, as I do, is that you start to know what country
people are from by their ISP, even for .com domains.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:13:05 PM

Dafty writes:
> Also haven't found any treasure rooms aside from 1 with money it in.
> Seems risky to try it with no help from Ely. Worst nasties are
> executioners. Seem immune to my fire magic and I'm no where near buff
> enough to take them in melee. Only option has been orb of energy and
> speeding up if it's an option. Am I missing any trick with those guys
> or are they just plain nasty?

I believe there is treasure in the four corners of Dis, plus three
corridors full of treasure in each of the quadrants Dispater isn't in.
Basically, you want to clear the whole castle.

I can't think of a time I've gone up against executioners without
either good melee or earth magic. There may be no way for you to take
them. I'm thinking the best way for you to deal with them might be to
teleport away and wait for them to desummon (I think they are always
summoned outside of pandemonium). Or you could learn abjuration or
iron bolt.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:18:17 PM

Erik Piper writes:
> - players have had plenty of time, by the time they're conquering
> Hells, to
> build expectation regarding holiness of other spells, but there's no
> other
> other way to experience casting Hellfire and the reaction to it
> besides
> evoking the SoD.

You can also get it as a demonspawn mutation. Granted, you can't get a
reaction from a god that way.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:21:30 PM

Dafty wrote:
> Also haven't found any treasure rooms aside from 1 with money it in.
> Seems risky to try it with no help from Ely. Worst nasties are
> executioners. Seem immune to my fire magic and I'm no where near buff
> enough to take them in melee. Only option has been orb of energy and
> speeding up if it's an option. Am I missing any trick with those guys
> or are they just plain nasty?
>
> Rich

First off -- skip the Executioners until Ely's back on your side.
You've probably got more than food enough to dawdle a bit at this
point.

Second off -- the end of Gehenna is one of of Hell's Big Treasure
Spots, along with the end of Dis. (And I *do* hope we all see de end of
Dis.) If you haven't found much treasure at the bottom of Gehenna, you
might want to dive back in with Detect Items in your arsenal.

Now... Executioners.

A sufficiently buff meleeist can take out an Executioner and still come
home in time for dinner. What are your Long Blades, Fighting, pluses,
and evasion/AC looking like?

Just for interest -- you might find this depressing to read, in which
case I apologize -- here's a sort of opposite view on how (un-)tough it
is to fight Executioners deep into the extended endgame.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike...

The quote in question is at the bottom of the post.

'Course part of the problem is, you're only midway into the extended
endgame at this point.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:16:28 AM

In <1121863126.071717.110640@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> Dafty wrote:

> Also haven't found any treasure rooms aside from 1 with money it in.
> Seems risky to try it with no help from Ely. Worst nasties are
> executioners. Seem immune to my fire magic and I'm no where near buff
> enough to take them in melee. Only option has been orb of energy and
> speeding up if it's an option. Am I missing any trick with those guys
> or are they just plain nasty?

All the bigger demons (1:s) are quite nasty. At least Executioners
doesn't have any special attack, they just hit hard. Good melee damage
and plenty of HP, or a hard-hitting spell (Crystal Spear if you can get
it) are my recommended way of dealing with them.

The treasure in the hells aren't that special IME. If you're having
trouble with the opposition, go in, kill the demon lord, grab the rune,
and get out of there. The hells are a scary place, and even a high-
powered character can be dead in surprisingly short time.

--
Johan
Anonymous

On 20 Jul 2005 09:10:37 -0700, "Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> wrote:

>What do y'all think? Does the Staff of Dispater need a better
>indication of the unholiness of its invocation, or is the fact that
>it's a unique drop by a lord of Hell indication enough?

I kind of thought that "Staff of Dispater" was a bit of a strong hint
that this *might* be a somewhat less than holy item... still, maybe
the description could include "This EVIL object FORGED IN HELL is NOT
APPROVED for use by worshippers of the WUSSY GODS."

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

I survived which was a good start :)  Got sent to the abyss which is a
bit of a holiday compared to dis. Took ages to find the way out though.
Served my penance and now considering whether to go back to get the
treasure or just go and try and win.

I have iron bolt through a rod, but it doesn't seem quite as good as
Iskenderun's Mystic Blast which costs less to cast and also seems
unresistable. I've taken out 2 or 3 executioners now with the mystic
blast (plus quite a few other fire resistant creatures) but it always
seems quite scary! Hasted and I can do it no problems but should dis
surround me with 2 or 3 of the buggers I'd be praying my teleport kicks
in in time and takes me somewhere where i can get the hell out of dodge
:)  What does abjuration do? Will have to check if I can learn that. My
skills are:

You have 22 points of unallocated experience.

a + Fighting Skill 11 (4) i + Spellcasting Skill 15 (2)
b - Short Blades Skill 4 (4) j + Conjurations Skill 26 (4)
c + Long Blades Skill 21 (8) k + Enchantments Skill 11 (4)
l + Divinations Skill 3 (9)
d - Darts Skill 1 (5) m + Fire Magic Skill 17 (0)

e - Armour Skill 1 (7) n + Invocations Skill 9 (6)
f + Dodging Skill 15 (9) o + Evocations Skill 6 (6)
g + Stealth Skill 10 (2)
h + Stabbing Skill 5 (6)

I could try and learn crystal spear of course, but my non existant
earth magic would probably make it a waste of time.

Using my long sword of speed to take on stuff when i'm short of mana.
Evasion and AC are 17 with my current kit which keeps me alive long
enough to blast em but losing quite a high percentage of my 162 HP in
the process. I don't think I've seen a single EV boosting bit of kit
all game.

Anyway I freely admit it was a bit of a dumb mistake to wield and evoke
the staff. Wielded it to ID it and check to see if it was any use to me
whatsoever. :)

I might just go and try the Tomb. I've got 30+ healing potions stashed
and 162 HP and great fire magic. Dunno if anything down there will give
me very scary trouble but it might be fun finding out :)

Rich
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:45:21 AM

Anyway Dis now nearly cleared. One utterly rubbish randart ring, and a
couple of potentially usefull books found. Plus some experience. Is
there an area in the Dis "castle" at the top that can only be entered
with control teleport? I don't think I've found a book with detect
items spell or I'd be tempted to go back and try that.

Rune collection growing. Learned Crystal Spear without any need for
stone arrow although with no earth magic one presumes it's damage is
slightly limited. Certainly takes things down pretty quick at the
moment. Anyway going to take a break from the hells and try the tomb :)
Wish me luck!

Richard

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Crux the Annihilator

Race : High Elf Res.Fire : + + + See Invis. : +
Class : Crusader Res.Cold : + + . Warding : .
Worship : Elyvilon Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 27 Res.Poison: . Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 1276488 Res.Elec. : + Gourmand : .

Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 1 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 1601 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 167
MP : 45
Str : 13 (14) Weapon : staff of conjuration
Int : 26 Armour : +2 robe (resist)
Dex : 22 Shield :
AC : 17 Helmet : +1 helmet (see invis)
Evasion : 17 Cloak : +2 elf cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +5 pair of gloves "Ewod"
Boots : +2 pair of boots
Play time : 2, 17:44:14 Amulet : amulet "Dogusyx"
Turns : 157159 Ring : ring of the Mage
Ring : ring "Ifihinolisi"

You are in the Vaults.
You worship Elyvilon.
Elyvilon is extremely pleased with you.

Needed the healing a couple of times.

You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
B - a +6,+5 elven long sword of speed

Have a +9,+7 elven long sword of holy wrath for when I go back to the
hells/pan

Armour
h - a +2 elven cloak (worn)
i - the +5 pair of gloves "Ewod" (worn)
It greatly protects you from fire.

j - a +2 robe of resistance (worn)
A - a +1 helmet of see invisible (worn)
K - a +2 pair of boots (worn)

Magical devices
g - a wand of healing (3)
k - a wand of cold (6)
l - a wand of disintegration (1)
q - a wand of fire (4)
r - a wand of digging (4)

Cold back up no longer seems very useful. Picked up the fire one from
stash for when i run out of mana. Healing wand is probably pointless
too.

Comestibles
e - a honeycomb
n - 2 royal jellies
y - 3 bread rations
Scrolls
m - 5 scrolls of teleportation
o - a scroll of blinking
Jewellery
c - an amulet of the gourmand
d - the amulet "Dogusyx" (around neck)
This amulet protects its wearer from mutations, although not
infallibly so.
It protects you from fire.
It insulates you from electricity.
It makes you much more stealthy.
It lets you turn invisible.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

v - the ring "Ifihinolisi" (left hand)
This ring provides protection from heat and fire.
It affects your strength (+1).
It protects you from cold.
It insulates you from electricity.
It lets you sense your surroundings.

J - a ring of levitation
P - the cursed amulet "Usklacoacevac"
This amulet protects its wearer from some forms of mental confusion.

It affects your intelligence (+1).
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from magic.
It lets you teleport.
It has a curse placed upon it.

Kept this for teleport but probably wont use it.

T - the ring of the Mage (right hand)
This ring increases the ability of its wearer to use magical spells.

It affects your intelligence (+3).
It protects you from magic.

Potions
f - 7 potions of might
s - 4 potions of heal wounds
t - 28 potions of healing

As I'm heading for the Tomb next and these will do nicely for rotting.
Will leave the rest.

Books
u - a book of Summonings

But with no skill in summoning at the moment is it really worth
learning abjuration at this point? Things I'm likely to wanna get rid
of I'm probably not going to be able to banish.

x - a book of Control

for my library.

Magical staves
a - a staff of conjuration (weapon)
b - a rod of destruction
E - a staff of wizardry
Miscellaneous
C - a silver horn

You have 14 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 11 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
+ Level 21 Long Blades
- Level 1 Darts
- Level 1 Armour
+ Level 15 Dodging
+ Level 10 Stealth
+ Level 5 Stabbing
+ Level 15 Spellcasting
* Level 27 Conjurations
+ Level 11 Enchantments
+ Level 3 Divinations
+ Level 18 Fire Magic
+ Level 9 Invocations
+ Level 6 Evocations

You have one spell level left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Fire Storm Fire/Conjuration Great 9
b - Identify Divination Very Poor 6

But perfectly acceptable with the right stave. Suppose I can forget
this and wield ID more and relearn if required on stubborn IDs.

c - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Great 8
d - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Perfect 3

Don't think I need this and the mystic blast.

e - Remove Curse Enchantment Excellent 5
g - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Perfect 5
h - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Perfect 4
i - Haste Enchantment Great 6
k - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Excellent 3
l - Controlled Blink Translocation Good 4

Used once but it probably saved my butt. Will keep it

m - Levitation Air/Enchantment Excellent 2

Makes running away for stuff and finding the exit in the abyss much
easier it seemed.

Last Messages

Welcome, Crux the High Elf Crusader.
Elyvilon says: Go forth and aid the weak!

#................# .....
#................#####.....
#........./................
#..........................
#........."...[....).......
#..........................
#..............)...........
#.)..=="?=|....##########..
#...==!}!)@[...#}}}}}}..#..
#<.#######+#...#........#
#..#/////[)#...#........#.
#..#%)..?)=#...#........#..
#..#?/..===#...#........#..
#..#[[""""/+...+........#..
#..#########[..##########..
#[.....[....)...........)..
#..........................

Vanquished Creatures
Antaeus (Coc:7)
3 orbs of fire
A royal jelly (Slime:6)
Boris (twice) (Blade Vault:7)
Geryon (Hell)
Dispater (Dis:7)
A Killer Klown (Zot:4)
A Killer Klown (shapeshifter) (Vault:5)
Margery (D:25)
Xtahua (Blade)
An electric golem (Zot:2)
7 golden dragons
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:42:02 PM

Dafty wrote:

> I survived which was a good start :)  Got sent to the abyss which is a
> bit of a holiday compared to dis.

The Abyss does tend to be a bit of a break compared to the Hells.

Took ages to find the way out though.
> Served my penance and now considering whether to go back to get the
> treasure or just go and try and win.
>
> I have iron bolt through a rod, but it doesn't seem quite as good as
> Iskenderun's Mystic Blast which costs less to cast and also seems
> unresistable.

With Evocations of 6 and Conjurations of 26, it's no wonder.

> :)  What does abjuration do? Will have to check if I can learn that. My
> skills are:

Abjuration sends 'em back where they came from (which doesn't seem to be
Hell, since you can abjure in Hell too :-) ). It's not always
successful; I believe that, besides the power at which you cast it, the
power of what you're abjuring affects success rates. But I'm not sure.

It's level 3, so you're unlikely to have real trouble casting it even
when starting out; if you do, though, you probably have a staff of
summoning or at least a ring of wizardry around to serve as a crutch at
first. Just cast it a little during victory dances to grease the machine.

> You have 22 points of unallocated experience.
>
> a + Fighting Skill 11 (4) i + Spellcasting Skill 15 (2)
> b - Short Blades Skill 4 (4) j + Conjurations Skill 26 (4)
> c + Long Blades Skill 21 (8) k + Enchantments Skill 11 (4)
> l + Divinations Skill 3 (9)
> d - Darts Skill 1 (5) m + Fire Magic Skill 17 (0)
>
> e - Armour Skill 1 (7) n + Invocations Skill 9 (6)
> f + Dodging Skill 15 (9) o + Evocations Skill 6 (6)
> g + Stealth Skill 10 (2)
> h + Stabbing Skill 5 (6)

Definitely room to grow in melee. Pretty soon your Conjurations will max
out, so you'll start having plenty of XP to burn.

I tend to belabor this point, but... you'd be surprised what a help it
can be to develop some auxiliary unarmed.

Stabbing, for a longswordsman, could probably be sacrificed (turned off)
by this point for other skills.

> I could try and learn crystal spear of course, but my non existant
> earth magic would probably make it a waste of time.

With a staff of conjuration and a stepping stone in the form of stone
arrow, you should be able over time, but it might be better just to pump
up your melee.

> I might just go and try the Tomb. I've got 30+ healing potions stashed
> and 162 HP and great fire magic. Dunno if anything down there will give
> me very scary trouble but it might be fun finding out :)

Just make sure don't forget to drop the healing potions at the entrance
to the Tomb. :-) (Yes, this has happened to me...)

e.

--
out on the limb there is the children
opposite of doormat

Dafty wrote:

> Is there an area in the Dis "castle" at the top that can only be entered
> with control teleport? I don't think I've found a book with detect
> items spell or I'd be tempted to go back and try that.

There's an area in the southern part of a "castle" closed off by secret
doors in either Dis or Gehenna. ISTR a sort of horizontal banana, either
"smile-shaped" or "frown-shaped," can't remember offhand.

> Magical devices
> g - a wand of healing (3)
> k - a wand of cold (6)
> l - a wand of disintegration (1)
> q - a wand of fire (4)
> r - a wand of digging (4)
>
> Cold back up no longer seems very useful. Picked up the fire one from
> stash for when i run out of mana. Healing wand is probably pointless
> too.

It's nice to be able to cast Silence in the Tomb as an emergency without
being *completely* closed off from healing possibilities. The wand of
healing is Heal Wounds-strength...

> Books
> u - a book of Summonings
>
> But with no skill in summoning at the moment is it really worth
> learning abjuration at this point? Things I'm likely to wanna get rid
> of I'm probably not going to be able to banish.

Valid point. Do a couple of test castings and see if you're satisfied;
if you're not, that's what SA is for. :-)

> d - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Perfect 3
>
> Don't think I need this and the mystic blast.

Waste 'o slots at this point.

> l - Controlled Blink Translocation Good 4
>
> Used once but it probably saved my butt. Will keep it

Insanely great, but be warned it doesn't work in the Tomb until you have
the Golden Rune (at which point you don't need it anyway).

e.

--
And so
ears teach ears to hear