Signal Boost

Hi,

As many others, I'm having issues with the signal strength
in my house. I get excellent signal strength on the first
floor, but my dean upstairs. The main reason I got the
Wireless G router was to be able to access the
internet/network wireless from the dean. I don't want to
run wires or punch holes into the house, so I'm looking
for a wireless solution to my problem. A friend of mine
suggested that I needed a "Bridge" to increase my signal.
I looked one up and saw that Motorola offers one called
(Motorola 2.4GHz Wireless-G Access Point Model: WA840G).
I don't want to start buying hardware, unless I'm certain
that it will resolve my problem. Does anyone have any
advice on how to boost my signal? Has anyone gone
the "Bridge" route to improve their signal, if so did it
work?

Thanks all...
2 answers Last reply
More about signal boost

    The MN700 won't do wireless bridging. You would have to replace it
    with something else.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    As Barb said, you need different hardware, but you might examine the
    location of the base station, move it away from walls and electrical
    appliances. Try changing channels, going perhaps to 11 or 1.

    A lot of wireless (any wireless, not just Microsoft's products) depend on
    the environment in which they're located - meaning the construction
    materials used in the residence. I have a computer upstairs in a daughter's
    bedroom, and her reception (70 feet away) is "good" on one side and
    unreliable on the other. The difference is the number of walls the signal
    must travel through.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Alex" <metsfanatik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > As many others, I'm having issues with the signal strength
    > in my house. I get excellent signal strength on the first
    > floor, but my dean upstairs. The main reason I got the
    > Wireless G router was to be able to access the
    > internet/network wireless from the dean. I don't want to
    > run wires or punch holes into the house, so I'm looking
    > for a wireless solution to my problem. A friend of mine
    > suggested that I needed a "Bridge" to increase my signal.
    > I looked one up and saw that Motorola offers one called
    > (Motorola 2.4GHz Wireless-G Access Point Model: WA840G).
    > I don't want to start buying hardware, unless I'm certain
    > that it will resolve my problem. Does anyone have any
    > advice on how to boost my signal? Has anyone gone
    > the "Bridge" route to improve their signal, if so did it
    > work?
    >
    > Thanks all...

Routers Wireless Hardware Networking