Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 home premium upgrade disc

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2013 3:22:52 PM

Hello everyone, I previously posted a thread asking for help with a serious problem I am having. I recently purchased a new motherboard and cpu (sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and amd fx 8350) I installed it and updated the bios for compatability. However, when I tried to boot into windows, I got a blackscreen indicating that windows failed to start with maybe hardware or software being the cause. Now my question is knowing that I have to do a clean install, I have this problem. I only have a window 7 home premium 64 bit upgrade disc and not the full version. Is it possible to still do a window 7 installation or do I have to buy a full version window 7 disc. Thank god I back up all my files and can just restore them once the installation is complete. If anyone can give me any advice it would greatly appreciated.

a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2013 3:29:01 PM

You can do a reinstall using the CD you have but it would have to be a clean reinstall. The only other hurdle you have is whether it's a OEM upgrade disc or not. If it's an OEM disc then it would be tied to the motherboard it was first installed on. Retail is not.

You can find more information in regards to the different versions of Windows 7 HERE.

If you can afford it, it may be best to bite the bullet and buy a retail full version if you can find it. Remember that OEM is going to be significantly cheaper than retail because it can only be installed on one computer.
m
l
Related resources
!