Gaming Monitor IPS? 120hz? led?

enty231

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hi all, :hello:

hope im posting this in the right section...

I'm in the process of buying a new monitor for my gaming/coding PC. I am looking to spend around £350 GBP (more or less expensive is ok). This monitor will be taking the place of my 37" tv as I would like a monitor dedicated to PC gaming. I play all sorts of games (FPS,RPG's,action'racing sports etc) so a good all rounder would be best. I am looking at 23/24" or maybe 27 inch in size

With so many choices and after extensive research, I am still finding this very difficult. 120hz 3d monitors were my first choice, with high response rate and little input lag but many reviews and users have kinda slated these due to using tn screens with a poor viewing angle and bad colour.

There are also IPS screens but they seem to be more suited for photographers and designers and less aimed towards gamers.

will a higher resolution (2560x1440) make that much difference?

i have also heard plasma tv's are good for gaming? is this true?

I have not used a pc monitor for gaming since my 2005 flatron monitor which was pretty ok.

Here are a few I have found

yamakasi-catleap-q270

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/55097-perfect-pixel-124hz-yamakasi-catleap-q270.html (top link in forum)
my fav so far but a little out of budget...

Viewsonic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LXK8LI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gamingsquid-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004LXK8LI

Asus
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH236H-23-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B002453K5G%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1313771-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB002453K5G

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

DIT: ill add my comp specs if that helps

CPU: intel i7 3820
GPU:ASUS GTX 670
mobo: gigabyte UD3 x79 (2011 socket)
HD:500 gb western digital
SD:120 gb OCZ agility 3
Keyboard: microsoft sidewinder x4

For gaming purposes, I still believe you'd enjoy the experience more with a 120hz monitor, and 3D Vision (2). It seems some people are more critical than others, but for gaming purposes, TN displays are still good. For other stuff, it's not as good.

3D Vision is also something you must see to believe. It adds a lot more immersion to a game.

The BenQ XL2420T is widely regarded as a great 120hz monitor. It's 24", but does not come with the kit built in.
The BenQ XL2420TX includes the 3D Vision 2 kit, if you are at all interested in it. I find it awesome, personally.

The ASUS VG278HE is something a little unique, but also good. It supports 144hz and 27". This is particularly good if you have the 3D Vision 2 kit, as it allows 72hz 3D gaming.
The ASUS VG278H is only 120hz, but includes a built in emitter and glasses.

I'd personally get the ASUS VG278HE, as I find the closer to 75-80 FPS/hz I get, the less simulator sickness I suffer.

there is a huge divide when it comes to monitors and games.

some people prefer 120hz tn panels for the ultra low response times and smoother video feed if you have high enough fps in game.

some prefer ips panels for the wide viewing angle (or better color if you buy 8bit ips not just 6bit e-ips panels).

when it comes to tn panels, the color shifting effect can vary. in some panels with a special coating it is not nearly as bad (such as the dell model i am on right now) and in some cases it is so drastic colors will almost invert from only a few degrees off center (such as on many laptops).

since i do not have an issue with 60hz/60fps video feed the benefit of a 120hz panel with worse viewing angles does not trump the viewing angles of an ips panel. i have a $650 s-ips 8bit panel (viewsonic vp201b) with a matte finish and it works great.

i now use a 40" lcdtv (60hz) as my main display for gaming, movies and on occassion some office work or web browsing. it also works great.

i am not sure about plasma televisions and games. there is a known issue with 120/240hz lcdtvs and i believe plasma refreshes at around 600hz (but all take a 60hz input signal though). the issue with the 120/240hz televisions is that there is perceptible lag due to the post processing (the adding in of extra frames to fake in a higher fps) when gaming.

as far as higher resolution is concerned, the larger the resolution you cram into a smaller space the better the sharpness will be on the monitor.

for instance, if you have a 1080p monitor in 20" and in 24" the 20" screen will be sharper. now lets say you have a 1440p monitor at 30". the pixel density actually is not any better than a 1080p panel around 22-24". what you gain instead is quite a bit more extra screen real estate. remember that to view fullscreen it takes quite a bit more processing power as well so you need to update the pc about 1-2 years sooner than you would with a standard 1080p monitor.

all led refers to is the addition of a led backlight instead of a ccfl backlight. you get some power savings but performance is just about equal. on cheap monitors though the leds used can cause a blue hue to all colors that you have to try and adjust out. on higher end models the leds used do not have this effect.

---

as far as recommendations...

120hz tn - if you want 3d, smoother video and are okay with the viewing angles.
6bit ips - if you want wide viewing angles but are on a budget.
8bit ips - above + best color accuracy. these can be expensive though.
60hz lcdtv - if you want a "big as life" experience. honestly i can say my television has about the same viewing angle as my ips panel which is great. the sharpness might not be there but it really is not noticible for anything else but very small text.

personally i would buy these brands..

viewsonic, dell, asus, acer...........or sony for tvs

TRENDING THREADS