intel or amd?

viper2211

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
i like amd and i am sure alot of you ppl do to and i dont care too much for intel but they are not as bad as i was saying so all u people out there who are mad at me dont be cause we all have things we like and dont like and intel is one of those things i dont like and AMD is. one of the reasons i dont like intel is the little faggy blue group on TV they really get me mad especially their new P4 commercials.

I am too lazy to type a signature<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by viper2211 on 03/25/01 05:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I prefer Intel because of extended warranty period, kick ass mother board and chip sets, heat protection, those damn friendly Intel RMA folks, the blue men, the balls to go out and try something new (P4), memory goes in the right way (from the processor out), code optimized, smp oh ya baby, stability, plays Unreal and Diablo 2 incredibly well, packet loss is less, ping response time higher, now the monster of a front side bus 400 quad pumped arr arr arr that’s power baby, RDRAM, Tommy boy doesn’t like them :), scholarships, public image, web hosting capacity is the best in the world, educational funding, unstoppable desire for total web integration, fair priced processors (my opinion), quality, well rounded processors, they will be 64 bit first, low operating temperatures, they take command pushing the industry forward, constantly changing, , excellent web site, above average public and stock holder relations, gigabit Ethernet arr arr arr that’s power baby, and they are working closely with hardware and software developers for more reliable and resilient products. I think that’s everything that impresses me about Intel.

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
At a LAN Party today all the intel boys were ready to switch to AMD. NOT 1 of them were able to boot and everything work. My AMD w/ a VIA chipset booted and away I went. So much for stability and compatability. I had to wait almost an hour before the lamers with blue could play. Then I got to beat the crap out of them :) AMD still rocks!

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Since I've switched to my AMD 1.2Ghz. My computer crashes at least 2/3rds less than when I had the Pentium III. I have had absolutely no compatibility issues. And I saved a chunk of cash.

The truth is; Intel is over-rated. There is nothing wrong with the AMD chips. They may get hot; but they perform much better and have much better prices. And to me that outweighs the cons. I just find it surprising that Intel is still using the same chip design for the P4 when they know the T-Birds are beating them in most benchmarks. I guess they think the public is stupid enough to believe that clock speed is the only thing that matters.

Intel needs to do something. When AMD unveils it's Hammer family by mid next year; it will blow the Itaniums out of the water. And they know it!

viper2211

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
hey jarry that is exactly my point but no one believes me.
AMD rocks and intel should cut the prices and the rating!!!

I am too lazy to type a signature

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That's what counts, baby bear. That you're happy with your choice. Now you have the option of watching the various ethnic and religous groups kill each other on the news, or play a round of Diablo 2, and kill all those terrible spawns of satan.

It's all matter of preference.

G

I believe you. This is only the beginning of AMD's rise to prominence. Intel really has nothing on it's roadmap that can stop AMD from continuing down the same market share stealing path they're on. Intel's made some very, very bad decisions and they're not going to be able to correct them in the near future (not Northwood, not Itanium, and not Tualatin.

If anyone thinks I'm full of sh*t, or if you think I have no clue what I'm talking about, please meet me here at this time next year so I can say "I told you so"!

G

<<<My PIII works fine, but I am not going to PIV! Can you say RAMBUS?! Athlon is next for me in April.>>>

why would you upgrade from p3 to athlon? do you think the p4 should use any memory besides rambus?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
the problem is, P4 <i>can't</i> use any other memory than rambus or it will suck so much that Intel won't sell any of them! (it's a surprise they are now)

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

<<<the problem is, P4 can't use any other memory than rambus or it will suck so much that Intel won't sell any of them!>>>
so then whats the problem with rambus?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Ya its just memory if you dont want to buy it dont, plus intels comming out with a new chip set for ddr so whats the big deal. you dont want it dont buy it pretty simply concept:)

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Well other folks do kinda unfair to the company and to the people that do own it. Its just annoying too that folks are bashing companies and products that they themselves have never owned or possibly seen, i personally think that all the hardware sites are on someones payroll so my opinion is based on what i see not what Sharky, Tommy, or the Zdnet goomba heads say. I perfer to see it myself that way i know 100% that what im preaching is true.

SPUD

viper2211

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
hey i just use my computer for gaming and internet just like a normal home pc and i am looking to get a new mobo and cpu and graphics card and i would just like some advi<b>ce.

THANX</b>

I am too lazy to type a signature

G

Intel does a lot more bench-testing on their chips b4 leaving the factory. Their chipsets are VERY stable. They are overpriced. All in all, it's like trying to say "Ford is better than Chevrolet" when both companies do certain things very well.
As for the new P4, it is a dog. Reason is it's a 64-bit processor trying to run a 32-bit OS (such as WinMe). In order to do this, it has to EMULATE a 32-bit enviroment. Software-controlled anything always hurts performance.

The new AMD chip comming out (codename: Sledgehammer) will have BOTH a 32-bit processor and a 64-bit processor on board. Go AMD!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
dude, intel doesn't benchtest. ever heard of 1.13GHz P3? Gee i wonder how many times they bench tested it

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

dhlucke

Polypheme
All I know is have you seen the price drop in processors in the last couple of weeks? Basically I'm shooting for an upgrade in a couple months and I'm sticking to a $200 budget for the processor. The 1.13 and 1.2 266 FSB almost are at that level...for AMD

For intel...uh...P3 866 almost 933

seems like they are getting closer, but not close enough. The price/performance issue isn't going away...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

G

<<<As for the new P4, it is a dog. Reason is it's a 64-bit processor trying to run a 32-bit OS (such as WinMe). In order to do this, it has to EMULATE a 32-bit enviroment. Software-controlled anything always hurts performance.>>>

the p4 is not 64 bit. the reason it runs current software slow is because they are compiled for processors that handle smaller chucks of data. therefore a p4 is using about 2/3 of its potential power with most code. notice the huge increases in speed with recompiled code. 32bit code i might add.

The new AMD chip comming out (codename: Sledgehammer) will have BOTH a 32-bit processor and a 64-bit processor on board. Go AMD!!

G

<<<dude, intel doesn't benchtest. ever heard of 1.13GHz P3? Gee i wonder how many times they bench tested it>>>

dude the only bench the p3 1.13ghz couldn't run correctly is linpack. many reviewers never noticed.

TRENDING THREADS