New Laptop - What do you Recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inarus06

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
So good news and bad news.

Bad news is my old Dell laptop (Inspiron e1705, purchased about four years ago) was stolen.

BUT it (along with everything else that was stolen in my apartment) was covered via renter's insurance. (If you don't have it, get it).

So now I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I have a budget of around $1300-$1500, but would like to spend less.

My problem is outside the realm of Alienware (overpriced), Dell (can't fully customize the way I want), iBuyPower (doesn't have laptop size I want) and HP (not a huge fan), I really don't know what brands/makes are good.

I have used Asus products in the past and have been pleased, however the performance I am looking cannot be found in a system they make.

These are my requirements:

>2.0 ghz, dual core minimum
>4 Gigs RAM, would prefer more.
>nVidia 435M 1G Video card
>320g HD, solid state not required.
DVD-RW, Blu-Ray a plus, but not required
15.6" screen. I really don't want another 17"

That's a lot to cram into a small budget, I realize. However I have found a few "new" (to me new, not around four years ago when I had my head into the 'business') that are offering a product within my specs and price range, but I'm not sure if they're quality. They are the following:

Sager NP 5160 (through xoticpc.com)
Xplorer X6-9500 through Cyberpower.com
Sager NP 8150 through Powernotebooks.com
Falcon TLX through falcon-nw.com
Maingear Clutch 15 through Maingear.com

I no NOTHING about these brands or websites. Have you heard any horror stories? Are they good? Great? What do you think?

I'm not above buying an Alienware or Dell, I just would like a better performing system for the money spent. NOTE: The above specs are for an Alienware notebook, at $1300.

Solution
The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony...
Really?
For just a bit over $1300 you can get an Asus G53JW-A3
Core i7-740QM 1.73Ghz (+2.93GHz turbo), 6GB RAM, 500GB 15.6" 1920x1080 LCD & GTX 460M GPU. Add a Blu-Ray player for $47.

Sager/Clevo/FalconNW/Maingear are boutique builders that have a good reputation. Not sure about Xplorer through Cyberpower.

When are you looking at getting your new laptop? The new SandyBridge quads CPUs and AMD 6xxx & Nvidia 5xx video cards are out and starting to show up in quite a few places. The dual core SBs are due out around the middle or next month too.

Here is a review of the Asus N53SV with SandyBridge i7-2720QM 2.0Ghz CPU, Nvidia GT 540M DirectX 11 graphics card (Optimus) and Bang&Olufsen ICEpower sound.
ASUS N53SV-A $1209

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
* Clevo builds for Falcon, WidowPC, Sager, Alienware (pre-Dell) and many other boutique dealers

Popular Clevo dealers are XoticPC.com and Pro-Star.com .... later is usually $50-$100 cheaper. To learn more about Clevo and find distributors, read the Clevo FAQ here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

I'd look at the P150HM and P151HM Sandy Bridge laptops
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4
http://www.xoticpc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=150HM
http://www.xoticpc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=P151HM

Solution

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Inarus, I got what you're lookin' for. It's a Sony Vaio EC at $1200. Its ideal for movies, casual gaming, or work. ATI Mobility Radeon™ dedicated graphics, built-in Blu-ray Disc™ technology.

Here are some more important specs:
Screen
17.3" (1920x1080) HD
Processor
2.53 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-460M
RAM
4 GB DDR3 1000 MHz
Storage
500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Optical drive
Blu-ray R, CD R/W, DVD R/W

I think this computer should work out really well, you can check it out for yourself at this link - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=2f329921-4bff-df11-bb23-02bf9d3bf32a

Overall, a good option. Tell me what you think.

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS