Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

-Crawl- YAVP: Berserker the Deep Elf Fighter

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 7:12:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Just your typical Deep Elf YAVP.

e.

*******

Dungeon Crawl 400b26e069tf(Windows/Tile) character file.
[Last build Mar 13 2005]


Berserker the Elven Ballista

Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : +
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : + . . Warding : .
Worship : Trog Life Prot.: + . . Conserve : .
Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Level 27 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Exp 3574194
Next Level ******* Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Exp Needed ******* Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: .
Spls.Left 28 Res.Slow : . Levitation : +
Gold 6057 Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .

HP : 228/228
MP : 45/ 45 Weapon Orb of Zot
Str : 15 Armour +8 robe of resistance
Int : 26 Shield none
Dex : 22 Helmet +0 mask of the Dragon
Armour Cl: 22 Cloak +1 cloak of Untold Secrets
Evasion : 27 Gloves +2 pair of gloves of strength
Shield Cl: 0 Boots +1 pair of boots of the Guardian
Amulet amulet of resist mutation
Play time : 1 day, 15:35:02Ring +0,+8 ring of slaying
Turns : 271789 Ring ring "Agylohujiwybog"


You escaped.
You worship Trog.
Trog is exalted by your worship.
You are full.


Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +9,+9 demon blade of speed (16758 gold)
b - a +9,+9 crossbow of protection (1455 gold)
g - the +6,+3 hand crossbow "Jywirufuwyjywi" (569 gold)
It affects your dexterity (+2).
It protects you from cold.
v - the cursed -4,-5 sling of Makhleb (219 gold)
It affects your strength (+4).
It affects your dexterity (+3).
It has a curse placed upon it.
w - a +2,+5 crossbow (205 gold)
A - the -5,-5 katana "V Kowucikujep" (1010 gold)
It allows its wielder to attack twice when they would otherwise have
struck
only once.
J - a +0 quick blade (250 gold)
K - a +3,+2 demon blade of distortion (2780 gold)
V - the +2,+3 katana of the Clouds (1088 gold)
It affects your dexterity (+2).
X - the +2,+7 falchion "Evolyxylohac" (714 gold)
It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it,
causing extra
injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly
susceptible opponents.
It protects you from fire.
It lets you turn invisible.
Armour
+h - the +1 pair of boots of the Guardian (worn) (308 gold)
It affects your evasion (+4).
It affects your dexterity (+2).
+i - the +0 mask of the Dragon (worn) (317 gold)
A blue mask.
It affects your accuracy (+2).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+2).
It protects you from magic.
It enhances your eyesight.
+j - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn) (201 gold)
+k - the +1 cloak of Untold Secrets (worn) (322 gold)
It affects your strength (+2).
It protects you from poison.
It makes you much less stealthy.
+l - a +8 robe of resistance (worn) (1225 gold)
o - a +2 helmet of intelligence (272 gold)
Y - a +2 robe of the Archmagi (263 gold)
Jewellery
f - an amulet of resist slowing (210 gold)
n - the ring "Mujyxev" (672 gold)
This ring brings its wearer more in contact with the powers of cold
and
ice. He or she gains resistance to cold and can use ice magic more
effectively, but becomes more vulnerable to the effects of fire.
It affects your AC (+3).
It lets you sense your surroundings.
p - the ring "Xecuvulakuhyni" (322 gold)
This ring provides protection from the effects of poisons and venom.

It affects your AC (+2).
r - a +1,+7 ring of slaying (350 gold)
u - a cursed ring of teleport control (224 gold)
D - an amulet of the gourmand (245 gold)
E - the amulet "Lulugefe" (371 gold)
This amulet protects some of the possessions of its wearer from
outright
destruction, but not infallibly so.
It affects your strength (+3).
F - a ring of teleportation (1 gold)
+G - the ring "Agylohujiwybog" (left hand) (469 gold)
This ring allows its wearer to hover above the floor.
It affects your AC (+4).
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It makes you much more stealthy.
It lets you go berserk.
L - the ring of the Mage (511 gold)
This ring increases the ability of its wearer to use magical spells.

It affects your intelligence (+3).
It protects you from magic.
P - an amulet of resist slowing (210 gold)
Q - the amulet "Esulej Fu" (245 gold)
This amulet protects some of the possessions of its wearer from
outright
destruction, but not infallibly so.
It makes you much more stealthy.
+R - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck) (210 gold)
T - the amulet "Iviniboc" (406 gold)
This amulet repels some of the attacks of creatures which have been
magically summoned.
It affects your evasion (+6).
+U - a +0,+8 ring of slaying (right hand) (210 gold)
W - a ring of fire (434 gold)
Books
m - a manual of Conjurations (1150 gold)
q - a manual of Evocations (1150 gold)
S - a book of War Chants (400 gold)
Magical staves
y - a rod of discovery (150 gold)
z - a rod of destruction (250 gold)
Orbs of Power
+M - the Orb of Zot (in hand) (250000 gold)
Miscellaneous
c - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
d - a bone rune of Zot (10000 gold)
e - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
s - an iron rune of Zot (10000 gold)
t - a magical rune of Zot (10000 gold)
x - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
B - a golden rune of Zot (10000 gold)
C - 4 demonic runes of Zot (40000 gold)
H - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
I - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
N - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
O - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)


You have 444 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 24 Fighting
- Level 4 Short Blades
* Level 27 Long Blades
* Level 27 Crossbows
- Level 2 Darts
+ Level 21 Throwing
- Level 1 Armour
* Level 27 Dodging
+ Level 17 Stealth
- Level 8 Stabbing
- Level 2 Shields
+ Level 15 Traps & Doors
* Level 27 Unarmed Combat
- Level 1 Spellcasting
+ Level 2 Conjurations
+ Level 22 Evocations


You have 28 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.


Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are mostly covered in supple grey scales (AC + 2).
You are somewhat resistant to both further mutation and mutation
removal.


Last messages:
> The abomination is moderately wounded.
> The beast misses you.
> The abomination misses you.
> You clumsily bash the abomination, but do no damage.
> The abomination is moderately wounded.
> The beast hits you but doesn't do any damage.
> The abomination misses you.
> You hit the abomination !
> You kick the abomination!
> The abomination is almost dead.
> The beast misses you.
> You miss the beast.
> You kick the beast!!
> The beast misses you.
> You kill the beast!
> You kill the abomination!
> There is a stone staircase leading upwards here.
> Unknown command.
> Are you sure you want to leave the Dungeon?[Y/N]
> You have escaped!



......%)#.#...........#.#
........#...###.#.#...#.#
.......#...## #.#.#.#.#.#
..........## #.#.#...#.#
........#.# #.#.....#.#
#####....#####.#.....#.##
## #...................#
..####....#####.#...######
.................@....#
#..........#.........#
#..........#.........#
#..........#.........#
............#.........#
............###..######
............# #5##
............###.#
............##..##


Vanquished Creatures
[...]

10881 creatures vanquished.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:20:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Why are you wielding the orb? Do you like being sadistic, beating
monsters over the head with a large blunt object?
And how did you get the demon blade to +9/+9, while i am only able to
enchant something to +8/+8?


GJ on getting the abyssal rune! That thing is a pain to find, im sure.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:16:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Mechanoid wrote:
> Why are you wielding the orb? Do you like being sadistic, beating
> monsters over the head with a large blunt object?

Yes... but mostly I like to show off. :-P

> And how did you get the demon blade to +9/+9, while i am only able to
> enchant something to +8/+8?

+9/+9 is the max. After the initial drop from 100% success at the 4->5
threshold, the chances decrease as you move towards +9, and getting
that last little point really can seem impossible. But you tend to find
more enchantment scrolls in Pan than you know what to do with. I kept
on wishing I had a third weapon. :-)

> GJ on getting the abyssal rune! That thing is a pain to find, im sure.

The abyssal rune is more something that finds you instead of you
finding it. I spent a lot of time in the Abyss generating Trog piety
when I wasn't feeling unethical enough to scum Blue Deaths or vampires.
I was like "and if that gets a rune too, well, super." And hey, it did!

e.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:33:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Rubinstein wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
> > [...]
> > I spent a lot of time in the Abyss generating Trog piety when I
> > wasn't feeling unethical enough to scum Blue Deaths or vampires. I
> > was like "and if that gets a rune too, well, super." And hey, it
> > did!
>
> Was that the reason for your demon blade of distortion? As a free ticket
> to the Abyss?

It was indeed, but the funny thing is, when I actually went to Pan, I
decided to not carry it for reasons of weight -- weight is always a
problem for me in Pan, especially for archery users. I just had it in
my pack on the way up as a reminder to tell that particular story. :-)

> Btw, isn't "Just your typical Deep Elf YAVP" a mild form of
> understatement?

Yes, a silly joke on my part.

> A Deep Elf Fighter YAVP surely isn't something I would
> call mainstream!
> Just my typical grats, anyway... ;-)
>
> Rubinstein

Thanks!

e.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Erik Piper wrote:
> [...]
> I spent a lot of time in the Abyss generating Trog piety when I
> wasn't feeling unethical enough to scum Blue Deaths or vampires. I
> was like "and if that gets a rune too, well, super." And hey, it
> did!

Was that the reason for your demon blade of distortion? As a free ticket
to the Abyss?
Btw, isn't "Just your typical Deep Elf YAVP" a mild form of
understatement? A Deep Elf Fighter YAVP surely isn't something I would
call mainstream!
Just my typical grats, anyway... ;-)

Rubinstein
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:14:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Erik Piper ha escrito:
> Just your typical Deep Elf YAVP.
>

I hate you. I hate you so much. Lol. Show off. Congrats by the way.
Really really cool char.

Haven´t played with my HECr for a while, since I am going for an all
rune game and (silly me) I can´t find the entrance to Tartarus!!!. I
was pretty sure it was in hell (Dis up, Gehenna left, Cocytus down, and
nothin to the right).

> Miscellaneous
> c - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> d - a bone rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> e - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> s - an iron rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> t - a magical rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> x - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> B - a golden rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> C - 4 demonic runes of Zot (40000 gold)
> H - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> I - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> N - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
> O - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)

Where did you got the magical, golden, silver, obsidian and bone rune?
Can´t recall if the bone (or obsidian) is from the Cript or Tartarus.
If the golden one is from Gehenna, silly me, ´cause I already have it.

>
> Skills:
> + Level 24 Fighting
> - Level 4 Short Blades
> * Level 27 Long Blades
> * Level 27 Crossbows
> - Level 2 Darts
> + Level 21 Throwing
> - Level 1 Armour
> * Level 27 Dodging
> + Level 17 Stealth
> - Level 8 Stabbing
> - Level 2 Shields
> + Level 15 Traps & Doors
> * Level 27 Unarmed Combat
> - Level 1 Spellcasting
> + Level 2 Conjurations
> + Level 22 Evocations
>

Amazing skills
>
> You have 28 spell levels left.
> You don't know any spells.
>

Hmmmm, why don´t you show which spells you used instead of deleting
them?.


> Mutations & Other Weirdness
> You are mostly covered in supple grey scales (AC + 2).
> You are somewhat resistant to both further mutation and mutation
> removal.
>

Cool cool mutations.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

>
> It was indeed, but the funny thing is, when I actually went to Pan, I
> decided to not carry it for reasons of weight -- weight is always a
> problem for me in Pan, especially for archery users. I just had it in
> my pack on the way up as a reminder to tell that particular story. :-)
>

All my trips to Pandemonium were one-way since I´ve never found the
way out. I hate getting to another section of it. Although it is not
that bad since the monsters aren´t that though and there is plenty of
items (actually infinite). Is it posible to get out of Pan by wielding
a weapon of distortion? (the Abyss is easier to get out of I guess).

I really need advice of all you oh! great crawlers (gestures like
invoking great spirits for guidance), cause I want to get the Crypt
rune, but I hate mummies. Especially the rotting curse. I hate
summoning, and I don´t know of another way to get rid of them (besides
bashing them with a big piece of steel). I´ve already had a char who
lost like 50 hp to rotting, and I worship Okawaru (I believe Oka´s
healing doesn´t cure rotting).

Totally off topic. Since I am new here, I am not familiar with some of
the expressions here. I mean YAVP (I´m 99% sure it means a won game)
and YASD (likewise for lost game, something about Sudden Death?. Guess
they are all sudden.), and other idiomatic expressions unfamiliar to
non-english speakers.

Congrats again Erik (BTW how many times you won the game?).
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:07:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Pball wrote:
>
> Erik Piper ha escrito:
>
>>Just your typical Deep Elf YAVP.
>
> I hate you. I hate you so much. Lol. Show off. Congrats by the way.
> Really really cool char.

It all started with an argument...

> Haven´t played with my HECr for a while, since I am going for an all
> rune game and (silly me) I can´t find the entrance to Tartarus!!!. I
> was pretty sure it was in hell (Dis up, Gehenna left, Cocytus down, and
> nothin to the right).

Nothing to the right? The Hell of the Underworld isn't flashy about its
entrance.

>>Miscellaneous
>> c - a slimy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> d - a bone rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> e - an icy rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> s - an iron rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> t - a magical rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> x - an abyssal rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> B - a golden rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> C - 4 demonic runes of Zot (40000 gold)
>> H - a serpentine rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> I - a decaying rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> N - a silver rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>> O - an obsidian rune of Zot (10000 gold)
>
>
> Where did you got the magical, golden, silver, obsidian and bone rune?

Magical - One of the four Pan specials; two of them are hard to
remember, but this one is the "ovals" level with Lom Lobon, and the one
with the fire-themed name is the "castle" level with Cerebov. Then
there's the mutation-themed level, something like a "twisted" rune, and
the utterly forgettable-themed level with the "utterly forgettably
named" rune.
Golden - Tomb
Silver - Vault
Obsidian - Dis
Bone - Tartarsauce

> Can´t recall if the bone (or obsidian) is from the Cript or Tartarus.
> If the golden one is from Gehenna, silly me, ´cause I already have it.
>
>> Skills:
>> + Level 24 Fighting
>> - Level 4 Short Blades
>> * Level 27 Long Blades
>> * Level 27 Crossbows
>> - Level 2 Darts
>> + Level 21 Throwing
>> - Level 1 Armour
>> * Level 27 Dodging
>> + Level 17 Stealth
>> - Level 8 Stabbing
>> - Level 2 Shields
>> + Level 15 Traps & Doors
>> * Level 27 Unarmed Combat
>> - Level 1 Spellcasting
>> + Level 2 Conjurations
>> + Level 22 Evocations
>>
>
> Amazing skills

Thanks to the +17 in damage bonuses, the hard part wasn't getting the
experience, it was spending it. I spent a lot of time in Pan firing
bolts and wands at thin air (also helped to dump weight... well I guess
that's a bit of a silly thing as I could have just not carried bolts -
it's not like they gave much of an advantage in the times when I
actually needed an advantage).

>>You have 28 spell levels left.
>>You don't know any spells.
>>
> Hmmmm, why don´t you show which spells you used instead of deleting
> them?.

Used? Deleting? You should play a Troglodyte sometime and come back
again with that one. :-) You get penance just for learning a spell, plus
for each casting -- even just learning a spell, immediately casting it
once, and permabranding it with EWIII (the permabranding action counts
as a spell in his opinion for some reason) gets you Godly Wrath type
penance, which I think is the highest level short of excommunication.
And that's assuming no failures along the way -- in at least one of the
first two steps, even failed attempts get counted. I know this, because
during various other attempts, I found or received a non-ego katana and
always made a point of pissing off Trog and perma-flame-branding it.
Cost me my life once. :-/

I can understand the confusion though, due to the INT -- that was the
result of a deck-of-wonder "accident", not that I shouldn't have learned
my lesson long ago. The INT is my former DEX, at least sort of -- things
get kind of messed up during shuffles if you're wearing stat-boosters; I
can't really describe it because I don't really understand it myself. As
for the Conjurations skill, I had a manual and a desire to be silly.
(It's in the dump further down.)

>> Mutations & Other Weirdness
>> You are mostly covered in supple grey scales (AC + 2).
>> You are somewhat resistant to both further mutation and mutation
>>removal.
>>
>
> Cool cool mutations.

If you're very careful and very buff in Pan you can come out ahead
mutation-wise -- basically you need to be wearing an AoRM nonstop, thus
the buff part (otherwise you'd be in pretty bad shape in the short term
without an AoRS). A little luck doesn't hurt either -- at least one
level of the mutation resistance mutation actually came from nexoqecs
who blasted through the AoRM.

e.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:31:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Wow. I'm doing quite well with 2 already and I'm still pretty new to
the game. Although first one went for the orb without all that nasty
mucking about in Hell and Pan, and the second ran out of food after 2
hells and the tomb and decided not to risk it further.

Next one I think I'll have to try for all runes...


Rich
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Pball wrote:

> items (actually infinite). Is it posible to get out of Pan by wielding
> a weapon of distortion? (the Abyss is easier to get out of I guess).

Yes, and yes. Actually finding an exit is preferred though, since you
have a chance of getting a glow effect on wielding them.

You can also be booted out of Pandemonium by the card that sends you to
Pandemonium. I actually accidentally booted myself out of the
mutation-themed special level that way this time.

>
> I really need advice of all you oh! great crawlers (gestures like
> invoking great spirits for guidance), cause I want to get the Crypt
> rune, but I hate mummies. Especially the rotting curse. I hate
> summoning, and I don´t know of another way to get rid of them (besides
> bashing them with a big piece of steel).

Bashing them with a big piece of steel (or whatever else is your
character's particular schtick) isn't bad, really, though it helps a LOT
if you can berserk while you're doing it.

Otherwise? Any magic but cold and maybe air will damage them. Don't
expect bonus damage from fire, though.

In the end, it's not really the death curses that are the problem, it's
the ones when they're "alive". If you can cast Silence, you may not even
need to berserk.

> Totally off topic. Since I am new here, I am not familiar with some of
> the expressions here. I mean YAVP (I´m 99% sure it means a won game)

Yet Another Victory Post.

> and YASD (likewise for lost game, something about Sudden Death?. Guess

Yet Another Stupid/Sad/Sudden/Silly/whatever Death.

Once you learn these here, you'll know them for other groups, although
Angband players are often fond of YAWP (Yet Another Win Post) and
Nethack sticks firmly to YAAP (YA Ascension P). You'll often find "F" in
the middle of the YAVP, etc. -- it stands for "first."

> they are all sudden.), and other idiomatic expressions unfamiliar to
> non-english speakers.

You'll hear a lot of abbreviations for the gods here -- Okie (Okawaru),
Ely (Elyvilon), etc., though that wouldn't be any easier for a native
English speaker.

> Congrats again Erik (BTW how many times you won the game?).

Four, which puts me, I think, firmly in the middle of the pack.

e.

--
And so
ears teach ears to hear
-- Uz jsme doma, "Ears"
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:19:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

>> Congrats again Erik (BTW how many times you won the game?).
>
> Four, which puts me, I think, firmly in the middle of the pack.
>

well... I am at my first (and last) victory for the moment :) 

So I am at the end of the pack :) 
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> Yes, and yes. Actually finding an exit is preferred though, since you
> have a chance of getting a glow effect on wielding them.

Never really seen an exit. But I`m willing to take a chance here.

>
> Bashing them with a big piece of steel (or whatever else is your
> character's particular schtick) isn't bad, really, though it helps a LOT
> if you can berserk while you're doing it.
>
> Otherwise? Any magic but cold and maybe air will damage them. Don't
> expect bonus damage from fire, though.

(little boy hiding under the bed): Daddy, I´m afraid of mummies. I
really hate the rotting curse.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 5:02:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Pball wrote:

> (little boy hiding under the bed): Daddy, I´m afraid of mummies. I
> really hate the rotting curse.

If you're fairly cautious -- don't need to be extremely cautious -- in
your use of potions of Healing and Heal Wounds, there are enough in a
typical game, or even a slightly worse than typical game, to unrot you.
The torment and the inability to carry potions while you're in there is
what you should be scared of. (Or if you use fire storm, also the
effects of too many curses in one round, judging from what happened to
Dafty once.)

When Dafty was considering whether or not to do the Tomb, I wrote a post
with a little checklist on things you want/practically need to have to
do the Tomb. A little digging around on Google Groups should turn it up.

e.
!