NEW Via/Cyrix Chip?

Any reviews on this chip?

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/17870.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/17870.html</A>

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"
8 answers Last reply
More about cyrix chip
  1. i dont like it, but it would look nice in a bucket of acid.

!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!
  2. is that a review? nice!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"
  3. I think thats great! The low cost users now have more alternatives. My dad has a cyrix 300 and its great for the net and email, thats all he does. Thats good that there is more processor options out there now:)

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
  4. It costs about the same amount as a Duron, and I've heard that it performs considerably worse. The best thing about it is that it runs on Intel chipsets. So users can have the stability of an Intel chipset without paying for overpriced Intel CPU's.
  5. I think it's basically an underclocked P4.
  6. Anand has some reviews on the 600/633 models,
    It sucks, Cyrix is a waste of silicon!
    The only reasonable thing to use it in is, Integer operations... But duron Kicks its ass! and costs about the same... but i think the cyrix can be overclocked to hell
    cause of the 0.15 tech.

<b>-----------------------</b>
    -<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>
  7. All I know is Cyrix chips have always blown. Someone has to be a moron to intentionally buy one of these things. The sad thing is the majority of people who get one have no clue that a 733 Cyrix is worse than a 600 Duron or Celeron, so they may go for it that way. I mean, how much typical savings will there be for a system? It looks like a Cyrix is only about $20-$30 cheaper than an equivicably clocked Celeron, for a $500 or so system. Big deal. That's not worth the risks. Plus, with integrated Socket A motherboards getting more popular (SiS 730, KM133), a complete Duron solution will get to be cheaper than that even. I mean, in the past I had this Cyrix 686 chip computer that totally sucked ass. It always froze, crashed, and was totally slow. I popped an old Pentium chip in the motherboard and the thing ran perfectly. But who knows, maybe with Via as new owner, the chip may actually be better.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"
  8. Poo

<font color=red>Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Reviews Chip AMD