-Crawl- YA MDFi CD -- where to next?

Last response: in Video Games
July 30, 2005 10:38:00 PM

OK. I have another MDFi. But I have no idea where to go next. My main
problem is that I lack an amulet of conservation, and a horrible
experience with some Hell Knights and their hellfire and sticky flames
(if it wasn't the other nasties on the same level who did sticky flames,
that is) has scared me off going anywhere where I might face horrible
flames or horrible cold again. I've also found more than a fair share of
freezing axes, but no flaming ones. So I enchanted and vorpalised a
dwarven battleaxe I found lying around on the dungeon floor.

A secondary concern is that I have no way to see invisible.

I've done:
- Main dungeon to 22.
- Hive
- Snake Pit
- Orcish Mines
- Some levels of the Elven Halls, but it wasn't really worth the item
destruction hassle.
- Lair

I've a niggling feeling that there's something I'm missing but I'm not
sure what. Also, when am I near buff enough to start having at the Vaults?

Finally, take a look at my mutations... should I drink potions of cure
mutation until I get rid of the herbivore level, or do the other
beneficial ones outweigh it? (incidentally, I've never used the breathe
flame one. It came after I had met the few Ice beasts I've met this far).

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Peter the Severer

Race : Mountain Dwarf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : .
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Okawaru Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 19 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 331525 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 378949
Exp Needed : 47424 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 20 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 1629 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 168
MP : 6/31
Str : 28 Weapon : rod of destruction
Int : 10 Armour : +0 crystal plate mail
Dex : 14 Shield :
AC : 38 Helmet : +2 helmet (int)
Evasion : 11 Cloak : -2 cloak "Fyc Fusyjuf"
Shield : 0 Gloves : +1 pair of gloves (dex)
Boots : +2 pair of boots (run)
Play time : 09:18:50 Amulet : amulet of resist mutation
Turns : 68316 Ring : +2,+6 ring of slaying
Ring : ring "Wujudodedojimu"

You are in the Lair.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +5,+5 dwarven battleaxe of chopping
c - the +0,+1 executioner's axe of Pestilence
It insulates you from electricity.

(For killing electric eels)

m - an uncursed glowing demon blade of speed
s - the +3,+9 long sword of Conversion

(To show how the RNG mocked me. Conversion was found on DL5,
and I should have taken the hint and switched to swords then
and there. On DL21 there was a gateway to Hell, and one of the
Hell Knights there [who also killed most of my scrolls with
their Hellfire and sticky flames] dropped the demon blade of
speed. I thought it was odd how he hit so often...)

Armour
h - a +0 crystal plate mail (worn)

(Gift from Okawaru about 100 moves after I decided I wasn't
going to get anything better than my Dwarven Plate, and I
wasted all my scrolls of enchant armour on it.)

o - a +1 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
p - the -2 cloak "Fyc Fusyjuf" (worn)
It affects your evasion (+5).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+1).
It makes you much less stealthy.

(Much less attractive now I have the crystal plate mail. EV 11
or 6 doesn't seem like it would make that much difference.
Still, I'd rather have that and +1 damage than 2 more in AC.)

w - a +2 helmet of intelligence (worn)
E - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)

(Okie is kind enough to give me plenty of these. I have 3 more
pairs stashed, all divine gifts.)

Magical devices
d - a wand of lightning (3)
f - a wand of digging
l - a wand of cold (7)
v - a wand of fireball (8)
y - a wand of draining (3)
z - a wand of fire (5)
L - a wand of disintegration (2)
P - a wand of teleportation (13)

(For the Snake Pit, which I just cleared. However, with my rater
respectable AC, no teleport attacks got through.)

Comestibles
k - 2 bread rations

(Because of 1 level of herbivore, see later.)

Scrolls
e - 2 scrolls of teleportation
r - a scroll of identify
V - a scroll of blinking
Jewellery
g - a +6 ring of strength
i - the ring "Wujudodedojimu" (left hand)
This ring provides protection from the effects of poisons and venom.
It lets you blink.

(Used to escape hairy situations, and also to sink XP into
Evocations. Also handy in the Snake Pit. I don't know whether to
wear this or the +6 ring of strength in the immediate future.)

j - a ring of life protection
q - a ring of sustenance
t - an uncursed amulet of rage
C - an amulet of clarity
G - an amulet of the gourmand
H - a ring of sustain abilities
M - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
O - a +2,+6 ring of slaying (right hand)
Potions
n - 5 potions of healing
X - a potion of berserk rage
Magical staves
b - a rod of destruction (in hand)

(Bolt of Iron, Fireball, Lightning Bolt. And the latest Evocations
XP trainer, of course.)

Miscellaneous
x - a nondescript stone
R - a serpentine rune

You have 5 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 15 Fighting
- Level 24 Axes
(On hold while I get Evocations up to speed.)
+ Level 6 Maces & Flails
- Level 2 Darts
+ Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 14 Armour
- Level 3 Shields
+ Level 11 Traps & Doors
+ Level 1 Spellcasting
+ Level 4 Invocations
+ Level 13 Evocations

You have 20 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are partially covered in supple grey scales (AC + 1).
You digest meat inefficiently.
Your flesh is heat resistant.
You can breathe flames.

Last Messages

Pick up a +1,+1 dwarven hand axe? (y,n,a,*,q)
Pick up an uncursed blowgun? (y,n,a,*,q)
Pick up the +3,+9 long sword of Conversion? (y,n,a,*,q)
s - the +3,+9 long sword of Conversion

######
#####%##[## ####
####\##%./=@)# #######.##
##)#}.+#?./.)## ##.##.#....
#..)...!..)### ##......>...
##..........[# #...........
#!....<.....)# ##...#.....#
#.......#...## ##.##....##
##...........# ###.......
#............# ##....#.
##[#.....)#.### #####.....

(Rather simple stash, really.)

Vanquished Creatures
A storm dragon (D:18)
(vault. No hide.)

Francis (D:21)
(Was absolutely horrible.)

Josephine (Elf:1)
(I think this was the one who summoned so much ugliness.
Could that be right?)

An iron golem (D:20)
(In a statue vault. Nothing handy in the statue vault
though.)

4 hell knights (D:21)
(My poor scrolls of blinking!)

3 necromancers (D:21)
(Bothersome fellows.)

A hellion (D:21)
(Ouch.)

A lindwurm (Lair:7)
(What are these good for?)

4 piles of gold coins
5 mimics
(Okay, these are listed separately. Is there a separate
monster named a "pile of gold coins"? Or is this a bug?)

A reaper (Elf:1)
(lots of damage, but not really that scary when I met him.)

A hellwing (Elf:1)
(Hard to hit, IIRC.)

A brain worm (D:15)
(sounds Icky)

2040 creatures vanquished.

More about : crawl mdfi

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:01:43 AM

Elethiomel wrote:

> A secondary concern is that I have no way to see invisible.

That's not a concern for the main dungeon unless you meet an UH on a
wide open level (and even then they can be killed -- the level's edges
can be used for corridors). It's more a reason to wait with doing the
Elven Halls -- the only thing worse than a hasted DE knight pounding on
you at range is a hasted DE knight pounding on you at range while invisible.

[done]
> - Some levels of the Elven Halls, but it wasn't really worth the item
> destruction hassle.

If you're buff enough, you can do the first few levels without carrying
consumables. This becomes more true as you find more of them in wand
form (although I think elves can see invisible -- oughta check that
sometime). One down so far... oughta at least take a peek. I guess I
wouldn't do the levels where demonologists start turning up yet
(four-ish), though -- you can run into situations where you're one
scroll of blinking away from death.

> - Lair
>
> I've a niggling feeling that there's something I'm missing but I'm not
> sure what.

The Swamp.

> Also, when am I near buff enough to start having at the Vaults?

Right now.

> m - an uncursed glowing demon blade of speed

These seem to be quite the rage with the RNG of late.

> Armour
> h - a +0 crystal plate mail (worn)
>
> (Gift from Okawaru about 100 moves after I decided I wasn't
> going to get anything better than my Dwarven Plate, and I
> wasted all my scrolls of enchant armour on it.)

Xom has many faces...

> o - a +1 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
> p - the -2 cloak "Fyc Fusyjuf" (worn)
> It affects your evasion (+5).
> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+1).
> It makes you much less stealthy.
>
> (Much less attractive now I have the crystal plate mail. EV 11
> or 6 doesn't seem like it would make that much difference.
> Still, I'd rather have that and +1 damage than 2 more in AC.)

One more -- 1 - 2 = -1. Or four more if you have a +2 cloak available --
nasty of the RNG if you don't yet. I guess the new evasion is too low
to count against the things that are nasty enough to count.

> E - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
>
> (Okie is kind enough to give me plenty of these. I have 3 more
> pairs stashed, all divine gifts.)

That reduces the value of the blinker ring... it's mostly valuable for
letting you repeatedly plug away with a rod without entering melee
range, which these also let you do.

> P - a wand of teleportation (13)
>
> (For the Snake Pit, which I just cleared. However, with my rater
> respectable AC, no teleport attacks got through.)

Innate magic resistance, actually.

> Jewellery
> g - a +6 ring of strength
> i - the ring "Wujudodedojimu" (left hand)
> This ring provides protection from the effects of poisons and venom.
> It lets you blink.
>
> (Used to escape hairy situations, and also to sink XP into
> Evocations. Also handy in the Snake Pit. I don't know whether to
> wear this or the +6 ring of strength in the immediate future.)

Blink-and-zap is pretty good stuff. I wouldn't wear it nonstop just for
the poison resistance, though.

> j - a ring of life protection
> q - a ring of sustenance
> t - an uncursed amulet of rage

Cool.

> C - an amulet of clarity

A fallible rodslinger's best friend. (Fallible as in capable of errors.)

> O - a +2,+6 ring of slaying (right hand)

Very cool.

> Magical staves
> b - a rod of destruction (in hand)
>
> (Bolt of Iron, Fireball, Lightning Bolt. And the latest Evocations
> XP trainer, of course.)

Powerful and flexible.

> Miscellaneous
> x - a nondescript stone
> R - a serpentine rune

No reason to be carrying the rune.

> + Level 6 Maces & Flails

Between that and the Evocations, I wouldn't worry about that hydra so
much. Certainly there must have been *some* good mace or flail in the
Snake Pits.

> You have 20 spell levels left.
> You don't know any spells.

For the life of me I'll never understand Okawarites who don't learn at
least a *little* magic.

> Mutations & Other Weirdness
> You are partially covered in supple grey scales (AC + 1).
> You digest meat inefficiently.
> Your flesh is heat resistant.
> You can breathe flames.

Heat resistance is big, big, big. Herbivore doesn't affect chunks, just
permafood (except for non-meat animal products and, oddly enough,
sausages). In the endgame it can actually be beneficial, as you're
getting 500 extra satiation per ration until you run out of "your" type
(normally it's 4400 for bread rations). So don't worry about it until it
reaches level two or your mutation count really starts climbing (in
which case you can get a situation where both levels get missed by the
!oCM).

> Francis (D:21)
> (Was absolutely horrible.)

She is. Nice if you're a non-holy swordsman, though. Or am I thinking of
Frances? I always get those two mixed up. (There was a children's book
with Frances and Francis, and I always got those two mixed up too.)

> Josephine (Elf:1)
> (I think this was the one who summoned so much ugliness.
> Could that be right?)

She comes with a bunch of undead as a package deal, and converts corpses
to undead like mad, but I don't *think* she summons...

> 4 hell knights (D:21)
> (My poor scrolls of blinking!)

Smokey the bear says be careful how many scrolls of blinking you're
carrying!

> 3 necromancers (D:21)
> (Bothersome fellows.)

Well, at least they're edible, unlike most things at their depth.

> A hellion (D:21)
> (Ouch.)

Ouch.

> A lindwurm (Lair:7)
> (What are these good for?)

Toasting you and sitting around being rare.

> 4 piles of gold coins
> 5 mimics
> (Okay, these are listed separately. Is there a separate
> monster named a "pile of gold coins"? Or is this a bug?)

Normally I wouldn't know much at all how to answer this, but I happened
to be browsing through the code of the Patch yesterday, so I can say a
little. Gold mimics and object mimics (which are divided into things
called "potion mimics" and "weapon mimics", a little mysterious since
other things can be represented to) are quite separate in the code, so
Darshan split them up in the kill list (it only exists in Patch versions).

> A hellwing (Elf:1)
> (Hard to hit, IIRC.)

More hard to hurt (AC) than to hit.

> A brain worm (D:15)
> (sounds Icky)
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 1:53:53 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
> Elethiomel wrote:
>
>> A secondary concern is that I have no way to see invisible.
>

> That's not a concern for the main dungeon unless you meet an UH on a
> wide open level (and even then they can be killed -- the level's edges
> can be used for corridors). It's more a reason to wait with doing the
> Elven Halls -- the only thing worse than a hasted DE knight pounding on
> you at range is a hasted DE knight pounding on you at range while
> invisible.

Good point. Most of the Elven Halls levels I've visited (2 and a half)
has been tight corridors with lots of corners and few rooms, though.
Lucky me.

> [done]
>> - Some levels of the Elven Halls, but it wasn't really worth the item
>> destruction hassle.
>

> If you're buff enough, you can do the first few levels without carrying
> consumables. This becomes more true as you find more of them in wand
> form (although I think elves can see invisible -- oughta check that
> sometime). One down so far... oughta at least take a peek. I guess I
> wouldn't do the levels where demonologists start turning up yet
> (four-ish), though -- you can run into situations where you're one
> scroll of blinking away from death.

Yeah, I'm much better now at not carrying many scrolls. I'm worse at
potions - always try and keep a few potions of healing in there, though
Okawary knows why.

>> - Lair
>>
>> I've a niggling feeling that there's something I'm missing but I'm not
>> sure what.
>
> The Swamp.

I came to think of that just after posting. I'm halfway through clearing
the bottom level now, but no "oC or =oSI yet.

>> Also, when am I near buff enough to start having at the Vaults?
>

> Right now.

Really? I had the impression they were horrible, horrible levels.

>> m - an uncursed glowing demon blade of speed
>

> These seem to be quite the rage with the RNG of late.

Let's hope they are when I run my (planned) Troglodyte Minotaur
Monk-turned-swordswinger.

>> Armour
>> h - a +0 crystal plate mail (worn)
>>
>> (Gift from Okawaru about 100 moves after I decided I wasn't
>> going to get anything better than my Dwarven Plate, and I
>> wasted all my scrolls of enchant armour on it.)
>

> Xom has many faces...

Indeed. I must find more scrolls of enchant armour.

>> o - a +1 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
>> p - the -2 cloak "Fyc Fusyjuf" (worn)
>> It affects your evasion (+5).
>> It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+1).
>> It makes you much less stealthy.
>>
>> (Much less attractive now I have the crystal plate mail. EV 11
>> or 6 doesn't seem like it would make that much difference.
>> Still, I'd rather have that and +1 damage than 2 more in AC.)
>

> One more -- 1 - 2 = -1. Or four more if you have a +2 cloak available --
> nasty of the RNG if you don't yet. I guess the new evasion is too low
> to count against the things that are nasty enough to count.

Two more because the highest amount of enchantment I can remember seeing
on a cloak is +1. I might dig through my armour stash though (all my
armour items are in one big pile).

>> E - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
>>
>> (Okie is kind enough to give me plenty of these. I have 3 more
>> pairs stashed, all divine gifts.)
>

> That reduces the value of the blinker ring... it's mostly valuable for
> letting you repeatedly plug away with a rod without entering melee
> range, which these also let you do.

Interesting point. However, blink is IME also valuable for running away
from fast, dangerous things when I have lots of "further away" spaces to
pull out of the lottery hat. Wouldn't you agree?

>> P - a wand of teleportation (13)
>>
>> (For the Snake Pit, which I just cleared. However, with my rater
>> respectable AC, no teleport attacks got through.)
>

> Innate magic resistance, actually.

Well, the last MDFi that got that far had at least 3 attacks go through
both his innate magic resistance and his EV and AC. Perhaps it was this
MDFi's ability to reduce Greater Nagas to quivering heaps of snake flesh
in few rounds and fewer swings of his axe, though.

>> Jewellery
>> g - a +6 ring of strength
>> i - the ring "Wujudodedojimu" (left hand)
>> This ring provides protection from the effects of poisons and venom.
>> It lets you blink.
>>
>> (Used to escape hairy situations, and also to sink XP into
>> Evocations. Also handy in the Snake Pit. I don't know whether to
>> wear this or the +6 ring of strength in the immediate future.)
>

> Blink-and-zap is pretty good stuff. I wouldn't wear it nonstop just for
> the poison resistance, though.

Maybe both the +6 str and the ring of slaying, then, perhaps.

>> j - a ring of life protection
>> q - a ring of sustenance
>> t - an uncursed amulet of rage
>

> Cool.

When you say it like that I get the idea that they can be used to great
advantage together. Is this the case? I can see the rage/sustenance
thing... but when does one pass out from berserking?

>> C - an amulet of clarity
>

> A fallible rodslinger's best friend. (Fallible as in capable of errors.)

I'm wearing it all the time in the Swamp, despite constant poison
resistance. Deep water is scary (and dwarves never bathe).

>> O - a +2,+6 ring of slaying (right hand)
>

> Very cool.

I thought so.

>> Magical staves
>> b - a rod of destruction (in hand)
>>
>> (Bolt of Iron, Fireball, Lightning Bolt. And the latest Evocations
>> XP trainer, of course.)
>

> Powerful and flexible.

Indeed. It takes quite a number of Bolts of Iron to take down a hydra
though - maybe this is because of my low Evocations skill?

>> Miscellaneous
>> x - a nondescript stone
>> R - a serpentine rune
>

> No reason to be carrying the rune.

I had it in the inventory purely for the character dump. I know, my
dumps aren't nearly as super as YAVPs, but I got to get my slivers of
fame the best way I can.

>> + Level 6 Maces & Flails
>

> Between that and the Evocations, I wouldn't worry about that hydra so
> much. Certainly there must have been *some* good mace or flail in the
> Snake Pits.

I picked up and tested every single one with "special" descriptors or
racial modifiers - though I didn't do so with the maces in the Halls.
The only one I found in the Pit that was at all special (i.e. not "mace
of protection") was an artefact spiked flail with very underwhelming
powers - it reduces my strength and has minuses to attack and damage. It
is "crushing", though.

>> You have 20 spell levels left.
>> You don't know any spells.
>

> For the life of me I'll never understand Okawarites who don't learn at
> least a *little* magic.

I feel like I need an intelligence booster first, and possibly a second
ring of wizardry, to avoid becoming a glowing chunk of mutagenic flesh.

Oh, and incidentally, which spells would you suggest I go for?
Enchantment to help me and fire-brand the next super axe I find?

>> Mutations & Other Weirdness
>> You are partially covered in supple grey scales (AC + 1).
>> You digest meat inefficiently.
>> Your flesh is heat resistant.
>> You can breathe flames.
>

> Heat resistance is big, big, big. Herbivore doesn't affect chunks, just
> permafood (except for non-meat animal products and, oddly enough,
> sausages). In the endgame it can actually be beneficial, as you're
> getting 500 extra satiation per ration until you run out of "your" type
> (normally it's 4400 for bread rations). So don't worry about it until it
> reaches level two or your mutation count really starts climbing (in
> which case you can get a situation where both levels get missed by the
> !oCM).

Very interesting.

>> Francis (D:21)
>> (Was absolutely horrible.)
>

> She is. Nice if you're a non-holy swordsman, though. Or am I thinking of
> Frances? I always get those two mixed up. (There was a children's book
> with Frances and Francis, and I always got those two mixed up too.)

I think Francis was the one to cast lots of spells at me and summon
nasty demons. But I'm unsure.

>> Josephine (Elf:1)
>> (I think this was the one who summoned so much ugliness.
>> Could that be right?)
>

> She comes with a bunch of undead as a package deal, and converts corpses
> to undead like mad, but I don't *think* she summons...

Ah, so that was her. Maybe it was just a particularly lucky and
tenacious Deep Elf Summoner, then.

>> 4 hell knights (D:21)
>> (My poor scrolls of blinking!)
>

> Smokey the bear says be careful how many scrolls of blinking you're
> carrying!

Well, I'm carrying 2 by default, but I had just found 2 more on that
same level. And then there were none.

>> 3 necromancers (D:21)
>> (Bothersome fellows.)
>

> Well, at least they're edible, unlike most things at their depth.

An interesting point. I should have eaten them then, rather than
sacrificing them to the mighty Okawaru.

>> A lindwurm (Lair:7)
>> (What are these good for?)
>
> Toasting you and sitting around being rare.

Yeah, I found it odd that there were just one of them. Usually there are
several of each type of creature at the bottom of the Lair.

>> 4 piles of gold coins
>> 5 mimics
>> (Okay, these are listed separately. Is there a separate
>> monster named a "pile of gold coins"? Or is this a bug?)
>
> Normally I wouldn't know much at all how to answer this, but I happened
> to be browsing through the code of the Patch yesterday, so I can say a
> little. Gold mimics and object mimics (which are divided into things
> called "potion mimics" and "weapon mimics", a little mysterious since
> other things can be represented to) are quite separate in the code, so
> Darshan split them up in the kill list (it only exists in Patch versions).

Ah, I see!

Thanks a lot for your help and advice =)
July 31, 2005 2:55:58 AM

Elethiomel wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>> Elethiomel wrote:

> Yeah, I'm much better now at not carrying many scrolls. I'm worse at
> potions - always try and keep a few potions of healing in there, though
> Okawary knows why.

Ordinary Healing is OK (as are a few Heal Wounds) -- it's not really
valuable enough to be a pain when it's lost, unless you're planning to
do the Tomb. It's also not valuable enough to help after a certain point
-- the times when you actually need healing, it's generally not enough
to make a difference unless you're just waiting for a teleport to kick in.

>>> Also, when am I near buff enough to start having at the Vaults?
>>
>> Right now.
>
> Really? I had the impression they were horrible, horrible levels.

I have the impression yaktaur bolts tend to bounce off of heavy armour
(I don't really know for sure anymore, since it's been ages since I've
gone the heavy-armour route), leaving the only threats I can think of
the hard hitters -- but there you can zap-and-back and/or zap-and-blink
-- and the mutaters. Well, and the -- well it's on the tip of my tongue,
simply the things with the funny name that summon monsters and can go
invisible. Those are only a threat if you underestimate them though.
Plus all of this stuff phases in gradually (and admittedly worse stuff
starts appearing towards the end, but that's not about starting, that's
about finishing).

[-2 randart cloak]

>>> Still, I'd rather have that and +1 damage than 2 more in AC.)
>>
>> One more -- 1 - 2 = -1. Or four more if you have a +2 cloak available
>> -- nasty of the RNG if you don't yet. I guess the new evasion is too
>> low to count against the things that are nasty enough to count.
>
> Two more because the highest amount of enchantment I can remember seeing
> on a cloak is +1.

Three more. :-) -2 + 3 = +1. Also don't forget the base AC on a cloak
(well, on all accessory armours) is 1, not 0.

> I might dig through my armour stash though (all my
> armour items are in one big pile).

I do the same, except for maybe souvenir armours (which go in Souvenirs).

>>> E - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
>>>
>>> (Okie is kind enough to give me plenty of these. I have 3 more
>>> pairs stashed, all divine gifts.)
>>
>> That reduces the value of the blinker ring... it's mostly valuable for
>> letting you repeatedly plug away with a rod without entering melee
>> range, which these also let you do.
>
> Interesting point. However, blink is IME also valuable for running away
> from fast, dangerous things when I have lots of "further away" spaces to
> pull out of the lottery hat. Wouldn't you agree?

Blink is a manipulable gamble, but it's still a gamble. (Plus it needs
MP -- not a problem for blink-and-plink, but a problem for
blink-and-zap.) The only gamble in pillar dancing plus speed is that a
wandering monster will arrive.

Blink can still do things that the boots can't, though, like open
distance against fast monsters (which the boots can then maintain).

>>> P - a wand of teleportation (13)
>>>
>>> (For the Snake Pit, which I just cleared. However, with my rater
>>> respectable AC, no teleport attacks got through.)
>>
>> Innate magic resistance, actually.
>
> Well, the last MDFi that got that far had at least 3 attacks go through
> both his innate magic resistance and his EV and AC. Perhaps it was this
> MDFi's ability to reduce Greater Nagas to quivering heaps of snake flesh
> in few rounds and fewer swings of his axe, though.

AFAIK, armour only helps against the elements, not against magic.
Certainly no spoiler mentions such a thing (but then there's plenty of
important hidden stuff no spoiler mentions).

>>> j - a ring of life protection
>>> q - a ring of sustenance
>>> t - an uncursed amulet of rage
>>
>> Cool.
>
> When you say it like that I get the idea that they can be used to great
> advantage together. Is this the case? I can see the rage/sustenance
> thing... but when does one pass out from berserking?

Oops <blush> -- just a snipping error on my part.

Sustenance is not useful for much after the early game IMO -- just
travel, but even there only if you have an easily remembered,
non-annoying way to do the swap, probably a macro. And travel tends to
be food-neutral even as it is, so it really just works out to a bit of
extra Okie piety.

Post-rage unconsciousness can be reduced/neutralized by
- having Berserker Rage in your spell list (special concession for
Crusaders, but why not go pick up a ring of wizardry or whatever and
grab a piece of it for yourself?)
- Trog, increasing with piety up to 100% protection
- An amulet of rage
- The Angry mutation
- Maybe one other thing (writing this from memory -- I'm online on a
European modem connection)

>>> C - an amulet of clarity
>>
>> A fallible rodslinger's best friend. (Fallible as in capable of errors.)
>
> I'm wearing it all the time in the Swamp, despite constant poison
> resistance. Deep water is scary (and dwarves never bathe).

Poison resistance is 100% protection, so unless you have a tendency to
remove rings by mistake it' -- oh. You're rod-slinging. Yeah, wear it.

>>> Magical staves
>>> b - a rod of destruction (in hand)
>>>
>>> (Bolt of Iron, Fireball, Lightning Bolt. And the latest Evocations
>>> XP trainer, of course.)
>>
>> Powerful and flexible.
>
> Indeed. It takes quite a number of Bolts of Iron to take down a hydra
> though - maybe this is because of my low Evocations skill?

I think they might be very much AC-resisted. That's a common theme for
earthy stuff. (There's a special class of stuff that's really, really
AC-resisted -- the classic example is Sandblast.) But this is all hasty
conjecture, again.

> I had it in the inventory purely for the character dump. I know, my
> dumps aren't nearly as super as YAVPs, but I got to get my slivers of
> fame the best way I can.

:-)))

> The only [mace] I found in the Pit that was at all special (i.e. not "mace
> of protection")

Well, that's not THAT bad. It could be Orc Slaying or something. :-)

> [well also there] was an artefact spiked flail with very underwhelming powers

Bummer.

>>> You have 20 spell levels left.
>>> You don't know any spells.
>>
>> For the life of me I'll never understand Okawarites who don't learn at
>> least a *little* magic.
>
> I feel like I need an intelligence booster first, and possibly a second
> ring of wizardry, to avoid becoming a glowing chunk of mutagenic flesh.

Buck-naked victory dances in a safe place tend to do the trick, though
they're a tad annoying to perform.

> Oh, and incidentally, which spells would you suggest I go for?
> Enchantment to help me and fire-brand the next super axe I find?

Ironically (I guess), once you've got the Swamp handled, there aren't
enough hydras around to justify Enchantments just for the sake of that
there... although it's true that Flaming is really good bonus damage 90%
of the time gradually falling to about 60% (says my ass :-) ).
Enchantment is a good school for fighters in general, though. So are
divinations for Detect Curse. Use it while 4.1 is still in alpha... it's
going up to level 4 :-/ .

[Josephine]
> Ah, so that was her. Maybe it was just a particularly lucky and
> tenacious Deep Elf Summoner, then.

They do tend to be lucky and tenacious. :-)

>>> 4 hell knights (D:21)
>>> (My poor scrolls of blinking!)
>>
>> Smokey the bear says be careful how many scrolls of blinking you're
>> carrying!
>
> Well, I'm carrying 2 by default, but I had just found 2 more on that
> same level. And then there were none.

OUCH!

>>> 3 necromancers (D:21)
>>> (Bothersome fellows.)
>>
>> Well, at least they're edible, unlike most things at their depth.
>
> An interesting point. I should have eaten them then, rather than
> sacrificing them to the mighty Okawaru.

Depends on the situation. Often by that point, though, I'm using the
bottom of the dungeon (until it gets too far from the Vaults entrance
and too corpse-thin) as a food farm (and maybe piety farm, if I'm doing
Trog) to fuel operations in the Crypt and the HoB -- so I'd be eating
it. Also, don't forget (or if appropriate "be informed") that piety
becomes harder to gain as you pass certain thresholds, so the
relationship between corpses' value for food and value for piety changes
over time. It's a series of 2-3 thresholds... I think the highest one is
low enough that you're usually above it nonstop with Okie unless you
really dip into the Might. Not sure, though.

>>> A lindwurm (Lair:7)
>>> (What are these good for?)
>>
>> Toasting you and sitting around being rare.
>
> Yeah, I found it odd that there were just one of them. Usually there are
> several of each type of creature at the bottom of the Lair.

That's more about many of the types that are typical for those last few
levels also being types marked as pack creatures.

> Thanks a lot for your help and advice =)

A pleasure!

e.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:38:26 PM

Erik Piper wrote:
> Elethiomel wrote:
>
>> Erik Piper wrote:
>>
>>> Elethiomel wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I'm much better now at not carrying many scrolls. I'm worse at
>> potions - always try and keep a few potions of healing in there,
>> though Okawary knows why.
>

> Ordinary Healing is OK (as are a few Heal Wounds) -- it's not really
> valuable enough to be a pain when it's lost, unless you're planning to
> do the Tomb. It's also not valuable enough to help after a certain point
> -- the times when you actually need healing, it's generally not enough
> to make a difference unless you're just waiting for a teleport to kick in.

Maybe I'll do the Tomb. I've started training Enchantments, which means
that with some luck I'll be able to cast Silence.

>>> Right now.
>>

>> Really? I had the impression they were horrible, horrible levels.
>

> I have the impression yaktaur bolts tend to bounce off of heavy armour
> (I don't really know for sure anymore, since it's been ages since I've
> gone the heavy-armour route), leaving the only threats I can think of
> the hard hitters -- but there you can zap-and-back and/or zap-and-blink
> -- and the mutaters. Well, and the -- well it's on the tip of my tongue,
> simply the things with the funny name that summon monsters and can go
> invisible. Those are only a threat if you underestimate them though.
> Plus all of this stuff phases in gradually (and admittedly worse stuff
> starts appearing towards the end, but that's not about starting, that's
> about finishing).

Yeah, bolts glance off my heavy armour. The tip-of-your-tongue monsters
were probably Boggarts, which I'd met before but then in the very
constricting passages that are my Elven Halls - in an open Vault level,
they were rather horrible, and I was glad I carried scrolls of
teleportation. (though the wand would have been just as good, I suppose
- however, I think wand charges are more valuable than teleport scrolls,
even if they magically contaminate. Do they?) Too bad the "ridiculus"
spell from JKR's universe is available in Crawl.

The vaults do contain a fair amount of fire-based creatures though,
which has meant that I've started carrying 2 scrolls of teleportation,
and nothing else scroll-wise. As does the main dungeon. I've been
staring hungrily at the entrance to the Hall of Blades, though.
Approximately how buff does one need to be to go in there?

> [-2 randart cloak]

>>> One more -- 1 - 2 = -1. Or four more if you have a +2 cloak available
>>> -- nasty of the RNG if you don't yet. I guess the new evasion is too
>>> low to count against the things that are nasty enough to count.
>>

>> Two more because the highest amount of enchantment I can remember
>> seeing on a cloak is +1.
>

> Three more. :-) -2 + 3 = +1. Also don't forget the base AC on a cloak
> (well, on all accessory armours) is 1, not 0.

True. Also, I found a +2 cloak of magic resistance. Yeah, I know, the
magic resistance ego is not super, but it's better than anything else I
have.

>>> That reduces the value of the blinker ring... it's mostly valuable
>>> for letting you repeatedly plug away with a rod without entering
>>> melee range, which these also let you do.
>>

>> Interesting point. However, blink is IME also valuable for running
>> away from fast, dangerous things when I have lots of "further away"
>> spaces to pull out of the lottery hat. Wouldn't you agree?
>

> Blink is a manipulable gamble, but it's still a gamble. (Plus it needs
> MP -- not a problem for blink-and-plink, but a problem for
> blink-and-zap.) The only gamble in pillar dancing plus speed is that a
> wandering monster will arrive.
>
> Blink can still do things that the boots can't, though, like open
> distance against fast monsters (which the boots can then maintain).

Yeah, those boots of running (along with having learned that running
away is a useful skill even for a walking tank) are probably the reason
this game is going so well despite lack of conservation or see invisible.

>>> Innate magic resistance, actually.
>>
>> Well, the last MDFi that got that far had at least 3 attacks go
>> through both his innate magic resistance and his EV and AC. Perhaps it
>> was this MDFi's ability to reduce Greater Nagas to quivering heaps of
>> snake flesh in few rounds and fewer swings of his axe, though.
>
> AFAIK, armour only helps against the elements, not against magic.
> Certainly no spoiler mentions such a thing (but then there's plenty of
> important hidden stuff no spoiler mentions).

As I remember it, it was the melee attacks of some of those nagas that
made me teleport. It might just have been coincidence though.

[jewellry of Life Protection, Sustenance, and Rage, and question from
me on whether they are useful together.]

> Sustenance is not useful for much after the early game IMO -- just
> travel, but even there only if you have an easily remembered,
> non-annoying way to do the swap, probably a macro. And travel tends to
> be food-neutral even as it is, so it really just works out to a bit of
> extra Okie piety.
>
> Post-rage unconsciousness can be reduced/neutralized by
> - having Berserker Rage in your spell list (special concession for
> Crusaders, but why not go pick up a ring of wizardry or whatever and
> grab a piece of it for yourself?)
> - Trog, increasing with piety up to 100% protection
> - An amulet of rage
> - The Angry mutation
> - Maybe one other thing (writing this from memory -- I'm online on a
> European modem connection)

No spellbook with Berserker Rage in it yet, unfortunately.

>>> A fallible rodslinger's best friend. (Fallible as in capable of errors.)
>>
>> I'm wearing it all the time in the Swamp, despite constant poison
>> resistance. Deep water is scary (and dwarves never bathe).
>
> Poison resistance is 100% protection, so unless you have a tendency to
> remove rings by mistake it' -- oh. You're rod-slinging. Yeah, wear it.

I do near water and other wrong step equals death situations, but
otherwise I'm keeping to my "oRM.

>>> Powerful and flexible.
>>
>> Indeed. It takes quite a number of Bolts of Iron to take down a hydra
>> though - maybe this is because of my low Evocations skill?
>
> I think they might be very much AC-resisted. That's a common theme for
> earthy stuff. (There's a special class of stuff that's really, really
> AC-resisted -- the classic example is Sandblast.) But this is all hasty
> conjecture, again.

It makes sense though, since iron (and Earth) is so solid.

>> The only [mace] I found in the Pit that was at all special (i.e. not
>> "mace of protection")
>
> Well, that's not THAT bad. It could be Orc Slaying or something. :-)

True. But now I've cleared the Swamp, so I probably won't do anything
about it unless I find I have plenty of weapon enchanter scrolls.

>>> For the life of me I'll never understand Okawarites who don't learn
>>> at least a *little* magic.
>>
>> I feel like I need an intelligence booster first, and possibly a
>> second ring of wizardry, to avoid becoming a glowing chunk of
>> mutagenic flesh.
>
> Buck-naked victory dances in a safe place tend to do the trick, though
> they're a tad annoying to perform.

While rooting through my stash I found that I had "Morg", a dagger that
gave +6 int. Handy. So now I have learned "Corona" and have 2 levels of
Enchantments.

>> Oh, and incidentally, which spells would you suggest I go for?
>> Enchantment to help me and fire-brand the next super axe I find?
>
> Ironically (I guess), once you've got the Swamp handled, there aren't
> enough hydras around to justify Enchantments just for the sake of that
> there... although it's true that Flaming is really good bonus damage 90%
> of the time gradually falling to about 60% (says my ass :-) ).
> Enchantment is a good school for fighters in general, though. So are
> divinations for Detect Curse. Use it while 4.1 is still in alpha... it's
> going up to level 4 :-/ .

I did find a battle axe of holy wrath. Given the holy wrath description,
would this be a good item to bring along to Pandemonium or Hell, if I'm
going to go those places?

>>> Smokey the bear says be careful how many scrolls of blinking you're
>>> carrying!
>>
>> Well, I'm carrying 2 by default, but I had just found 2 more on that
>> same level. And then there were none.
>
> OUCH!

And now, until I find an amulet of conservation, I am carrying 0
consistently.

>>> Well, at least they're edible, unlike most things at their depth.
>>
>> An interesting point. I should have eaten them then, rather than
>> sacrificing them to the mighty Okawaru.
>
> Depends on the situation. Often by that point, though, I'm using the
> bottom of the dungeon (until it gets too far from the Vaults entrance
> and too corpse-thin) as a food farm (and maybe piety farm, if I'm doing
> Trog) to fuel operations in the Crypt and the HoB -- so I'd be eating
> it. Also, don't forget (or if appropriate "be informed") that piety
> becomes harder to gain as you pass certain thresholds, so the
> relationship between corpses' value for food and value for piety changes
> over time. It's a series of 2-3 thresholds... I think the highest one is
> low enough that you're usually above it nonstop with Okie unless you
> really dip into the Might. Not sure, though.

I've gotten gifts from Okie off of the first 'p'ray command after long
stash visits that's followed Invocations-training battles, so I guess
I'm surfing rather high on the piety wave.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:25:51 PM

Elethiomel wrote:

> The tip-of-your-tongue monsters were probably Boggarts,

Yep, that's the ones.

> which I'd met before but then in the very
> constricting passages that are my Elven Halls - in an open Vault level,
> they were rather horrible, and I was glad I carried scrolls of
> teleportation. (though the wand would have been just as good, I suppose
> - however, I think wand charges are more valuable than teleport scrolls,
> even if they magically contaminate. Do they?)

They don't. It's the wands (not the potions either!) of hasting and
invisibility that always contaminate.

I also value the wand charges over the scrolls, but in the end, whatever
saves you is the main thing. :-)

> Too bad the "ridiculus" spell from JKR's universe is available in Crawl.

Hmm?

> The vaults do contain a fair amount of fire-based creatures though,
> which has meant that I've started carrying 2 scrolls of teleportation,
> and nothing else scroll-wise. As does the main dungeon. I've been
> staring hungrily at the entrance to the Hall of Blades, though.
> Approximately how buff does one need to be to go in there?

Depends on if you're evasion-based or armour-based. Evasion-based
characters have it a little easier in the IMO, since a lot of the damage
the weapons can do is non-damage damage. :-) For an armoured guy, I'd
try to have good negative energy resistance, a scroll of blinking always
at hand, an amulet of resist mutation (I think there's a glow effect for
the distortion weapons, maybe I'm wrong here -- there definitely is a
glow wielding effect, but there may not be for hitting), and
Abyss-capable buffness and some Abyss supplies (healing, might, and
above all hasting) just in case. All that having been said, you're
probably either ready or very close to being ready. And you probably
*won't* be sent to the Abyss, it's just that if you do happen to be,
you'll be glad you prepared.

> As I remember it, it was the melee attacks of some of those nagas that
> made me teleport. It might just have been coincidence though.

Sounds like they were carrying weapons of distortion, then.

> I did find a battle axe of holy wrath. Given the holy wrath description,
> would this be a good item to bring along to Pandemonium or Hell, if I'm
> going to go those places?

Sure! You might want to also carry something for the occasional
non-unholy creatures you'll meet during your trips (e.g. when you get
sent from Hell to the Abyss). If you're a hooverer, carrying multiple
weapons can get troublesome, but then, most people don't hoover and I
bet you don't either. (I do. <blush>)

e.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:39:52 AM

Erik Piper wrote:
> Elethiomel wrote:
[boggarts]
>> which I'd met before but then in the very constricting passages that
>> are my Elven Halls - in an open Vault level, they were rather
>> horrible, and I was glad I carried scrolls of teleportation. (though
>> the wand would have been just as good, I suppose - however, I think
>> wand charges are more valuable than teleport scrolls, even if they
>> magically contaminate. Do they?)
>
> They don't. It's the wands (not the potions either!) of hasting and
> invisibility that always contaminate.

Ah, I see.

> I also value the wand charges over the scrolls, but in the end, whatever
> saves you is the main thing. :-)

This is definitely true.

>> Too bad the "ridiculus" spell from JKR's universe is available in Crawl.
>
> Hmm?

If you're not too proud to be seen reading "children's books", the Harry
Potter series will make you get this reference, and (IMHO) is worth
reading anyway.

>> The vaults do contain a fair amount of fire-based creatures though,
>> which has meant that I've started carrying 2 scrolls of teleportation,
>> and nothing else scroll-wise. As does the main dungeon. I've been
>> staring hungrily at the entrance to the Hall of Blades, though.
>> Approximately how buff does one need to be to go in there?
>
> Depends on if you're evasion-based or armour-based. Evasion-based
> characters have it a little easier in the IMO, since a lot of the damage
> the weapons can do is non-damage damage. :-) For an armoured guy, I'd
> try to have good negative energy resistance, a scroll of blinking always
> at hand, an amulet of resist mutation (I think there's a glow effect for
> the distortion weapons, maybe I'm wrong here -- there definitely is a
> glow wielding effect, but there may not be for hitting), and
> Abyss-capable buffness and some Abyss supplies (healing, might, and
> above all hasting) just in case. All that having been said, you're
> probably either ready or very close to being ready. And you probably
> *won't* be sent to the Abyss, it's just that if you do happen to be,
> you'll be glad you prepared.

Non-damage damage? *scratches head*
"oRM, check.

For the abyss;
Healing: Plenty of !oHW
Might: Okawaru
Hasting: Okawaru
Food?

>> As I remember it, it was the melee attacks of some of those nagas that
>> made me teleport. It might just have been coincidence though.
>
> Sounds like they were carrying weapons of distortion, then.

That might be it.

>> I did find a battle axe of holy wrath. Given the holy wrath
>> description, would this be a good item to bring along to Pandemonium
>> or Hell, if I'm going to go those places?
>
> Sure! You might want to also carry something for the occasional
> non-unholy creatures you'll meet during your trips (e.g. when you get
> sent from Hell to the Abyss). If you're a hooverer, carrying multiple
> weapons can get troublesome, but then, most people don't hoover and I
> bet you don't either. (I do. <blush>)

I do some hoovering; weapons I might be able to use, armours near the
quality I'm currently wearing. I let most things lie, though. Like
needles and arrows and bolts (unless I'm using bows or crossbows) and
robes and such. Though I guess I should be looking for a Robe of the
Archmagi to help me excercise that spellcasting skill.

Is there a rod with Silence on it?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:27:24 AM

Elethiomel wrote:

>>> Too bad the "ridiculus" spell from JKR's universe is available in Crawl.
>>
>> Hmm?
>
> If you're not too proud to be seen reading "children's books", the Harry
> Potter series will make you get this reference, and (IMHO) is worth
> reading anyway.

Heh, I *thought* so, but I couldn't remember her full name to check it
against the initials. I read the first three a couple of years back and
quite liked them, but never continued after that.

[what do I need to be prepared in the HoB]

> Non-damage damage? *scratches head*

Apologies! I meant various kinds of hurt other than just getting your
current hitpoints taken down. Like draining, banishment, etc.

> "oRM, check.

If nothing else, you'll want it as part of your Abyss gear.

> For the abyss;
> Healing: Plenty of !oHW
> Might: Okawaru
> Hasting: Okawaru
> Food?

Since you're going Okie for the might and hasting, *definitely* have a
bit more food than normal. Extra food is a cheap source of extra power
in there.

> robes and such. Though I guess I should be looking for a Robe of the
> Archmagi to help me excercise that spellcasting skill.

Quite a bit of bother for the benefit... I'd skip the headache, myself.

> Is there a rod with Silence on it?

No. Sniff.

e.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:21:12 PM

Erik Piper wrote:

>>> Hmm?
>>

>> If you're not too proud to be seen reading "children's books", the
>> Harry Potter series will make you get this reference, and (IMHO) is
>> worth reading anyway.
>

> Heh, I *thought* so, but I couldn't remember her full name to check it
> against the initials. I read the first three a couple of years back and
> quite liked them, but never continued after that.

I quite like all of them.

Anyway, new character dump. Now done
level 7 of the Vaults,
Hall of Blades,
Dungeon to 25 inclusive,
Swamp,
and nothing else new. As you will seee from the character dump, I have a
major resistances problem. Crypt? Elven Halls 4+? Hells? Pandemonium?

((I have gotten plenty of gifts from Okawaru but they seem to be mostly
the same as the last few gifts or not very useful. Randart armour pieces
with resistances on them would be very welcome, Okie. Just saying.))

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Peter the Severer

Race : Mountain Dwarf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : .
Class : Fighter Res.Cold : . . . Warding : .
Worship : Okawaru Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 20 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 437793 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : .
Next Level : 458899
Exp Needed : 21106 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 22 Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 1724 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 188
MP : 33
Str : 39 Weapon : +5 dwarf battleaxe (chop)
Int : 10 Armour : +0 crystal plate mail
Dex : 11 Shield :
AC : 49 Helmet : +2 helmet (int)
Evasion : 7 Cloak : +2 cloak (R-magic)
Shield : 0 Gloves : +1 pair of elf gloves (str)
Boots : +2 pair of boots (run)
Play time : 13:07:04 Amulet : amulet of resist mutation
Turns : 90408 Ring : +6 ring of strength
Ring : ring "Wujudodedojimu"

You are in the Vaults.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +5,+5 dwarven battleaxe of chopping (weapon)
c - the +0,+1 executioner's axe of Pestilence
It insulates you from electricity.

u - a +4,+2 battleaxe of holy wrath
w - the +4,+0 war axe "Tfrxtpraaaaaaa"
It emits flame when wielded, causing extra injury to most foes and
up to
double damage against particularly susceptible opponents.
It affects your evasion (+7).
It prevents most forms of teleportation.
(I like the evasion boost and that's of flame. Perhaps Slime Pits
weapon, if I do them.)

y - an orcish battleaxe
B - a runed spiked flail
V - the uncursed hand axe "Cusovedo"
It inflicts no extra harm, but heals its wielder somewhat when he or
she
strikes a living foe.
It affects your strength (+3).

Missiles
L - 15 bolts
N - 7 poisoned bolts
(why did I pick these up? I have no idea.)

Armour
d - a +0 crystal plate mail (worn)
e - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
f - a +2 helmet of intelligence (worn)
g - a +1 pair of elven gloves of strength (worn)
h - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
K - a +0 crested helmet of intelligence
P - an orcish plate mail
Y - an orcish plate mail
Magical devices
k - a wand of hasting
l - a wand of fireball (8)
m - a wand of fire (5)
n - a wand of digging (6)
o - a wand of draining (3)
p - a wand of disintegration (2)
q - a wand of teleportation (13)
r - a wand of lightning (3)
s - a wand of cold (7)
Comestibles
v - 2 bread rations
Scrolls
z - a scroll of enchant weapon I
S - a scroll of remove curse
U - 2 scrolls of identify
Jewellery
i - the ring "Wujudodedojimu" (left hand)
This ring provides protection from the effects of poisons and venom.
It lets you blink.

(swapped in because I just recently met some wasps.)

j - a +2,+6 ring of slaying
C - an amulet of clarity
D - a ring of dexterity
E - an uncursed amulet of rage
F - a ring of sustain abilities
G - an amulet of the gourmand
H - a +6 ring of strength (right hand)
I - a ring of life protection
J - a ring of sustenance
M - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
T - an uncursed amulet of rage
Potions
t - a potion of berserk rage
A - a potion of speed
O - 6 potions of healing
W - a potion of restore abilities
Magical staves
b - a rod of destruction
Miscellaneous
x - a nondescript stone

You have 14811 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 18 Fighting
- Level 26 Axes
+ Level 6 Maces & Flails
- Level 2 Darts
+ Level 2 Throwing
+ Level 16 Armour
+ Level 1 Dodging
- Level 3 Shields
+ Level 11 Traps & Doors
+ Level 2 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 2 Spellcasting
+ Level 4 Enchantments
(nearly died from forgetting to put my armour back on after training these.)

+ Level 4 Invocations
+ Level 15 Evocations

You have 22 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Corona Enchantment Useless 1

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are partially covered in supple grey scales (AC + 1).
You digest meat inefficiently.
Your flesh is heat resistant.
You can breathe flames.

Last Messages

Drop which item?
You drop a large rock.
Your possessions no longer seem quite so burdensome.
There is a stone staircase leading upwards here.

(clearing away the junk from the stairs so I can see them on the map)

#.#......)...#.###..
#.#..........#......
#.'..........#).....
#.#..........#......
#.######''####......
#...................
#...................
#...............)...
#.)@................
#...................
#...................
#...................
#...................
#...................
#..............)....
#...................
####################

Vanquished Creatures
Margery (D:21)
Norris (Vault:7)
A lich (Vault:7)
Rupert (Vault:5)
(these weren't really all that hard.)

14 fake rakshasas
(Fake? What's the difference?)

2862 creatures vanquished.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:41:20 PM

Elethiomel wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
>
>> Elethiomel wrote:

> Anyway, new character dump. Now done
> level 7 of the Vaults,
> Hall of Blades,
> Dungeon to 25 inclusive,
> Swamp,
> and nothing else new. As you will seee from the character dump, I have a
> major resistances problem. Crypt? Elven Halls 4+? Hells? Pandemonium?

I wouldn't do any of the Hells before leveling up some more. And I
wouldn't do Cocytus without cold resistance, period. A second level of
fire resistance is quite convenient for Gehenna, though not necessary.

Dungeon should be fine to finish off. The Crypt (not the Tomb, just the
Crypt) should go just fine, though you'll probably need to either
berserk or use an amulet of warding while fighting the curse skulls.
Then on to either Vault:8 or, and this is something I've never done but
I can imagine as having some merit, the Slime Pit. The advantage of
delaying it is that Vault:8 tends to net one or more artifact armour
pieces worth wearing, and the fuller the set you can take in there, the
better.

> + Level 4 Enchantments
> (nearly died from forgetting to put my armour back on after training
> these.)

That's what I meant by "annoying." :-)

> 14 fake rakshasas
> (Fake? What's the difference?)

The real ones summon fake ones.

e.

--
Walking down the street something caught my eye
A growing epidemic that really ain't fly

Erik Piper wrote:
> Elethiomel wrote:
>
>> Erik Piper wrote:
>>
>>> Elethiomel wrote:
>

>> Anyway, new character dump. Now done
>> level 7 of the Vaults,
>> Hall of Blades,
>> Dungeon to 25 inclusive,
>> Swamp,
>> and nothing else new. As you will seee from the character dump, I have
>> a major resistances problem. Crypt? Elven Halls 4+? Hells? Pandemonium?
>

> I wouldn't do any of the Hells before leveling up some more. And I
> wouldn't do Cocytus without cold resistance, period. A second level of
> fire resistance is quite convenient for Gehenna, though not necessary.
>
> Dungeon should be fine to finish off. The Crypt (not the Tomb, just the
> Crypt) should go just fine, though you'll probably need to either
> berserk or use an amulet of warding while fighting the curse skulls.
> Then on to either Vault:8 or, and this is something I've never done but
> I can imagine as having some merit, the Slime Pit. The advantage of
> delaying it is that Vault:8 tends to net one or more artifact armour
> pieces worth wearing, and the fuller the set you can take in there, the
> better.

The Crypt should be done potion-less, right? Or?

Any special equpiment rules regarding Vault:8?

Leaving potions behind in the cold hell, and scrolls behind in the fire
hell seems obvious. What about the two others?

>> + Level 4 Enchantments
>> (nearly died from forgetting to put my armour back on after training
>> these.)
>

> That's what I meant by "annoying." :-)

I can see that now.

>> 14 fake rakshasas
>> (Fake? What's the difference?)
>

> The real ones summon fake ones.

Ah, I see. Thanks again for all your help =)
August 1, 2005 11:47:24 PM

in article 42ee6058$1@news.broadpark.no, Elethiomel at kkkk@lllllll.mmmm
wrote on 8/1/05 1:47 PM:

> The Crypt should be done potion-less, right? Or?

It's fine to carry them down there (or even into the Tomb), you just don't
want any potions in your inventory any time you kill a mummy (This is easy
to remember with the mnemonic, which I believe is in the guidebook: Yusef's
Jowls Droop Wanly; A Pigeon In Your Insides Attacks Though Yet Knowledge
Accrues Mostly).

The Tomb is full of mummies, so most people don't take any in at all.
Personally, I carry them in and drop them convenient places. There are
still Mummies in the Crypt, but not nearly as many. So they're easy to work
around.

> Any special equpiment rules regarding Vault:8?

The monsters down there aren't of any particular type except "powerful."
Lots of foo Dragons; if you've got options, I'd go for a high-EV setup to
avoid the lightning bolts and draining bolts, or equip as many resistances
as you can handle. And if possible leave enough inventory space that you
can comfortably carry out a lot of stuff. It's a pain to have to make
multiple trips to the bottom.

> Leaving potions behind in the cold hell, and scrolls behind in the fire
> hell seems obvious. What about the two others?

Conservation would be a better choice here than leaving stuff behind. I
don't think Neqoxecs or Cacodaemons are much of an issue in any of them, so
you should be able to safely eschew "RM.

--
Jeremey
Anonymous

Jeremey wrote:
> in article 42ee6058$1@news.broadpark.no, Elethiomel at kkkk@lllllll.mmmm
> wrote on 8/1/05 1:47 PM:
>

>> The Crypt should be done potion-less, right? Or?
> [...]
> (This is easy to remember with the mnemonic, which I believe is in the
> guidebook: Yusef's Jowls Droop Wanly; A Pigeon In Your Insides Attacks
> Though Yet Knowledge Accrues Mostly).

Interesting. Wherever you got that from, I've never seen it. The only
books I know (and coming somewhat close to be called 'guidebook') are
the 2 files crawl.6 and crawl.txt which basically are the same in
different formats. The sentence above isn't not in there. So if you ever
happen to find that 'guidebook' and where I can get it from, please let
me know.

Rubinstein
--
in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum
Anonymous

Jeremey wrote:
> in article 42ee6058$1@news.broadpark.no, Elethiomel at kkkk@lllllll.mmmm
> wrote on 8/1/05 1:47 PM:
>

>>The Crypt should be done potion-less, right? Or?
>

> It's fine to carry them down there (or even into the Tomb), you just don't
> want any potions in your inventory any time you kill a mummy (This is easy
> to remember with the mnemonic, which I believe is in the guidebook: Yusef's
> Jowls Droop Wanly; A Pigeon In Your Insides Attacks Though Yet Knowledge
> Accrues Mostly).

Your mnemonic helped me tremendously! ;)  At least, after reading your
post, I carried potions in the Crypt and didn't get a single one turned
into mush (though that was just luck at one point).

> The Tomb is full of mummies, so most people don't take any in at all.
> Personally, I carry them in and drop them convenient places. There are
> still Mummies in the Crypt, but not nearly as many. So they're easy to work
> around.

I'll wait with the Tomb. If I do it at all.

>>Any special equpiment rules regarding Vault:8?
>

> The monsters down there aren't of any particular type except "powerful."
> Lots of foo Dragons; if you've got options, I'd go for a high-EV setup to
> avoid the lightning bolts and draining bolts, or equip as many resistances
> as you can handle. And if possible leave enough inventory space that you
> can comfortably carry out a lot of stuff. It's a pain to have to make
> multiple trips to the bottom.

Hm. I did get a randart cloak that gives me INT, STR, and cold
resistance while doing the Crypt, so at least I have 1 level each of
cold and fire resistance... a ring of life protection and a randart
executioner's axe for electricity resistance... and plenty of healing
potions for poison. It Just Might Work. Or not. We'll see.

>>Leaving potions behind in the cold hell, and scrolls behind in the fire
>>hell seems obvious. What about the two others?
>

> Conservation would be a better choice here than leaving stuff behind. I
> don't think Neqoxecs or Cacodaemons are much of an issue in any of them, so
> you should be able to safely eschew "RM.

If I find Conservation, I will bring it along. If not... I'll leave my
rare scrolls and potions.

Thanks for your help as well.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:39:50 AM

Elethiomel wrote:
[stripping all the other "wrotes"]

>>> Anyway, new character dump. Now done
>>> level 7 of the Vaults,
>>> Hall of Blades,
>>> Dungeon to 25 inclusive,
>>> Swamp,
>>> and nothing else new. As you will seee from the character dump, I
>>> have a major resistances problem. Crypt? Elven Halls 4+? Hells?
>>> Pandemonium?
>>
>> I wouldn't do any of the Hells before leveling up some more. And I
>> wouldn't do Cocytus without cold resistance, period. A second level of
>> fire resistance is quite convenient for Gehenna, though not necessary.
>>
>> Dungeon should be fine to finish off. The Crypt (not the Tomb, just
>> the Crypt) should go just fine, though you'll probably need to either
>> berserk or use an amulet of warding while fighting the curse skulls.
>> Then on to either Vault:8 or, and this is something I've never done
>> but I can imagine as having some merit, the Slime Pit. The advantage
>> of delaying it is that Vault:8 tends to net one or more artifact
>> armour pieces worth wearing, and the fuller the set you can take in
>> there, the better.
>
> The Crypt should be done potion-less, right? Or?

What dey said.

I find it a lot simpler just to do the Tomb potionless BTW. Otherwise I
have to worry about preserving my potions, when really I want to be
preserving my life. The exception is occasionally the very last level,
but I still find it a pain to have them on hand. I guess it's mostly a
convenience factor.

> Any special equpiment rules regarding Vault:8?
>
> Leaving potions behind in the cold hell, and scrolls behind in the fire
> hell seems obvious. What about the two others?

I wear AoRS or AoRM in there, so I don't know anything about the AoC way
of doing things. I've always had either berserking (gives a boost to HP
based on a % of your current HP) or regeneration or a wand of healing or
Ely or some combination of the above to use in place of potions. And I
think the rotting torment in the undead Hell ignores conservation. But
anyway, back to your original question -- if you want to be conservative
about preserving stuff, your "cold kills potions, fire kills scrolls"
rule applies, and then consider Dis as "basically fiery" and Tartarus as
"basically cold." And remember that amulets of conservation aren't 100%
effective -- the ICQ devil face would be appropriate right about here ;-)

e.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:41:34 AM

Jeremey wrote:

> (This is easy
> to remember with the mnemonic, which I believe is in the guidebook: Yusef's
> Jowls Droop Wanly; A Pigeon In Your Insides Attacks Though Yet Knowledge
> Accrues Mostly).

With mnemonics like that, who needs complicated rules? ;-)

And indeed -- *what* guidebook?

e.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:28:56 AM

Jeremey Wilson wrote:

> "Erik Piper" <erikNO@skySP.czAM> wrote in message news:D clv0o$fli$2@domitilla.aioe.org...
>> Jeremey wrote:
>>
>> > which I believe is in the guidebook: Yusef's Jowls Droop Wanly; A
>> > Pigeon In Your Insides Attacks Though Yet Knowledge Accrues Mostly.
>> [...]
> [...]
>> And indeed -- *what* guidebook?
>
> Oops -- "guidebook" is part of a mnemonic I use to remember
> "crawl.txt".

That's odd. The text above is not in my crawl.txt. Hard to believe this
file is different from that of the Linux version. From the header in
your post I guess you're playing the Windows (binary?) version...

Rubinstein
--
in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:28:57 AM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:28:56 +0200, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
wrote:

>Jeremey Wilson wrote:

>>> [...]
>> [...]
>>> And indeed -- *what* guidebook?
>>
>> Oops -- "guidebook" is part of a mnemonic I use to remember
>> "crawl.txt".
>
>That's odd. The text above is not in my crawl.txt. Hard to believe this
>file is different from that of the Linux version. From the header in
>your post I guess you're playing the Windows (binary?) version...

That would be because this is what is known as a joke. You see, it's a
mnemonic. Only it's clearly harder to remember than what it is supposed
to help you remember. Which, frankly, I find true of most mnemonics, but
that's one reason I found this joke quite funny.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:28:56 +0200, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
> wrote:
>

>>Jeremey Wilson wrote:

>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Oops -- "guidebook" is part of a mnemonic I use to remember
>>>"crawl.txt".
>>
>>That's odd. The text above is not in my crawl.txt. Hard to believe this
>>file is different from that of the Linux version. From the header in
>>your post I guess you're playing the Windows (binary?) version...
>

> That would be because this is what is known as a joke.

If it has to be explained...

e.

--
Walking down the street something caught my eye
A growing epidemic that really ain't fly
-- Fanny Pack, "Camel Toe"
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:03:53 PM

Erik Piper wrote:
> R. Dan Henry wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:28:56 +0200, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
>> wrote:

>>> That's odd. The text above is not in my crawl.txt. Hard to believe this
>>> file is different from that of the Linux version. From the header in
>>> your post I guess you're playing the Windows (binary?) version...
>>

>> That would be because this is what is known as a joke.
>

> If it has to be explained...
>
> e.

Jokes aside, it would have been really nice had someone spoiled me as to
what happens to my surroundings when perma-fire-branding a weapon. -one-
space from frying all my scrolls.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:06:34 PM

In article <dcn7b7$iho$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Erik Piper <erikNOSPAM@sky.cz> wrote:
// R. Dan Henry wrote:
// >
// > That would be because this is what is known as a joke.
//
// If it has to be explained...

.... you've got yourself a potential straight man, run with it or move on.

Brent Ross
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:18:17 PM

R Dan Henry wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:28:56 +0200, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
> wrote:
>
>>Jeremey Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> "Erik Piper" <erikNO@skySP.czAM> wrote in message
>>> news:D clv0o$fli$2@domitilla.aioe.org...

>>> [...]
>
> That would be because this is what is known as a joke. You see, it's a
> mnemonic. Only it's clearly harder to remember than what it is
> supposed to help you remember. Which, frankly, I find true of most
> mnemonics, but that's one reason I found this joke quite funny.

Just keep in mind many jokes simply don't work with an international
community with lot's of non-native speakers around. And as you can see,
in the end it just produces lots of avoidable noise and not so much
laughing as you might have expected...

Rubinstein
--
in dubio pro pecuniam et contra populum
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:37:32 AM

Elethiomel wrote:
> Jokes aside, it would have been really nice had someone spoiled me as to
> what happens to my surroundings when perma-fire-branding a weapon. -one-
> space from frying all my scrolls.

That was snappy and not deserving of this newsgroup. I apologise.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:23:34 AM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:28:56 +0200, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
> wrote:
>

>>Jeremey Wilson wrote:

> That would be because this is what is known as a joke. You see, it's a
> mnemonic.

So what does it stand for? A word? A sentence? There are just too many
Ys in this mnemonic to make sense.

> Only it's clearly harder to remember than what it is supposed
> to help you remember. Which, frankly, I find true of most mnemonics, but
> that's one reason I found this joke quite funny.

So this is a cultural thing, isn't it? IIRC I've run across ~4 mnemonics
in 28 years here in Germany.

Lars
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:35:41 AM

Lars Kecke wrote:

> So what does it stand for? A word? A sentence? There are just too many
> Ys in this mnemonic to make sense.

I'm guessing it starts "You just drop," contains "(any?) potions in
your inventory" and finishes with "you kill a mummy," but the middle is
still a mystery to me.

e.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:35:52 PM

On 3 Aug 2005 06:35:41 -0700, "Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> wrote:

>> So what does it stand for? A word? A sentence? There are just too many
>> Ys in this mnemonic to make sense.
>
>I'm guessing it starts "You just drop," contains "(any?) potions in
>your inventory" and finishes with "you kill a mummy," but the middle is
>still a mystery to me.

Why guess, when the original post states it quite clearly:

Jeremey <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote:

||It's fine to carry them down there (or even into the Tomb), you just don't
||want any potions in your inventory any time you kill a mummy (This is easy
||to remember with the mnemonic, which I believe is in the guidebook: Yusef's
||Jowls Droop Wanly; A Pigeon In Your Insides Attacks Though Yet Knowledge
||Accrues Mostly).

You Just Don't Want Any Potions In You Inventory Any Time You Kill A
Mummy.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com